Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should Ford bring back the single-piece body ute?

No, imo it`s pretty good having the option of tray back or ute body, i would be having a tray if i was buying one, as for irs in a ute? no thanks, the old banjo style you can still fit air shockers/bags very easily, banjo diff less maintenance, ease of maintenance........... want to earn a quid ? conventional banjo diff all the way.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
No... waste of development money as said.

And also there was a thread about the commodore ute being expensive if not uneconomical to repair because the side panel is one piece.

Cab chassis is more useful to tradies, I see a lot more alloy trayed Falcon Utes being used by traides then I do commodore utes around here.
finally some one said it. those commodore utes are bloody useless for work. i'd rather a cab chassis ute anyday. the biggest problem i find with the falcon ute nowdays is its clearence compared too the other utes out there. I would love too see a V8 falcon trayback on the market again and yes i remember the thread about the side panels on the VE. my old AU cab chassis might be 12 years old but it is twice the ute of any VE commodore ute when it comes too work!! a diesel will never be in a falcon. not while the ranger is about. Pepscobra said it best!! the ranger is a bigger threat then the commodore ute
Old 28-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

A new RTV ute based on the Territory chassis would be interesting, especially for those chasing more clearance and leaning towards your traditional 4x4 cab chassis...
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 28-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
funny that falcon Ute sales dropped 300ish sales per month when the xr8 was stop....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Pfft, More like 50 a month if you ask me.....
The last year of XR8 Ute was 2010 and only 291 were sold in the whole year even though the car was stopped at June 30.
Maybe Ford's financial year runs June to May.......

Funny you could still buy new ones a year after they were discontinued.

Well they were being offered for sale at heavily discounted prices anyway.

What colour did you buy Joe? My XRT ute is blue.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #35
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
A new RTV ute based on the Territory chassis would be interesting, especially for those chasing more clearance and leaning towards your traditional 4x4 cab chassis...
would be interesting too see that actually. I often wondered why the RTV was dropped as i see a fair few of them getting about
Old 28-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If there had been one of them I would have probably bought it instead of my FG2.

I reckon a diesel one of them would be a big hit in some areas.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
warpsp33d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlAEbqIkoUY
Old 28-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #38
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
People arent buying VE utes because they are one piece, they are buying them because they have Holden written on them - something Ford will never have no matter what it does.
strange but true it seems...

as to Brazen's comment as to Ford getting trashed in the market
there was a time in the early 70's when the Valiant ute was the top dog, but was canned by the Holden with the HQ (chassis equipped)

and why do people keep buying Toyota {anything** when there are better alternatives available??

the name says it all....
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Old 28-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If there had been one of them I would have probably bought it instead of my FG2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
would be interesting too see that actually. I often wondered why the RTV was dropped as i see a fair few of them getting about
When you think of it really, it would involve very little development costs wouldn't it?
After all, the pieces are already available to do it... just a case of mix and match chassis with body right?
Ok, maybe not as simple as that, but surely achievable with nominal investment?
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 28-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure the ute will make the next face lift let alone a redesign.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddak
strange but true it seems...

as to Brazen's comment as to Ford getting trashed in the market
there was a time in the early 70's when the Valiant ute was the top dog, but was canned by the Holden with the HQ (chassis equipped)

and why do people keep buying Toyota {anything** when there are better alternatives available??

the name says it all....
I think alot of people see toyota as the most reliable car maker out there. I debate that claim at times but have seen quite a few toyotas that are near bullet proof. thou in saying that i have heard that the new hiluxs arent too flash?? I dont know as i've never driven the newer ones. might be some truth in it??
Old 28-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #42
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At this point in time, an new RTV would get my cash. It doesn't exist, so a new GS/XRT or ranger will fill the void. Ranger can't be compared to Falcon, it might be great as a work truck, but the feel of the falcon is still far better. I drove an XLT dual cab a few months ago, then sat in a manual GS....GS all the way!

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 28-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I don't see the point in these utes from Ford & Holden. They are only half of a good ute when compared to real ones such as the Ranger, Amarok, Hilux etc. They go places the Falcon & Commowhore utes will fear to tread.
Very true, but they have different purposes in life. For me the Falcon ute is a reasonable compromise between every day commuter vehicle and a 'real' ute.

I choose to drive Falcons as an every day vehicle in city traffic and got the ute option for the times I go camping, carting stuff etc. Never put more than a few hundred kilo's in the back. The amount of times I use the ute as a ute didn't justify the trade offs in every day driving for a 'real' workhorse type ute.

Not many real utes have a v8 manual option either (which was mandatory).

And it is put together by Aussies (mostly) being paid a real wage.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Diesel Falcon ute would be a smash hit. If people thought diesel Territory was a success, diesel Falcon ute would put it in the shade.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #45
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Diesel Falcon ute would be a smash hit. If people thought diesel Territory was a success, diesel Falcon ute would put it in the shade.
There's the small issue of Falcon ute Vs. Ranger which I'm sure Ford are still in two minds about.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 28-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's the small issue of Falcon ute Vs. Ranger which I'm sure Ford are still in two minds about.
I get that, but the light commercial market is almost universally diesel, if Ford is going to continue with the cab chassis variant - diesel is the price for admission. In the end, Falcon and Ranger are different enough and have different features and pricing to keep them separate. As my dad used to say, you catch more fish with two hooks.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Cab chassis is more useful to tradies, I see a lot more alloy trayed Falcon Utes being used by traides then I do commodore utes around here.
Spot-on I have a friend who has a work-shop who will be buying a new Ute this month for that very reason, alloy tray, true 1 ton load rating.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 28-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #48
JG34JA

I worked all over Australia as a surveyor and had a Landcruiser as my steed. After a short while I figured out that the mostly dirt road/rocky track work could be done with far more comfort by a Falcon ute, preferably RTV. And save my back quite a deal in the driving! Some go further out but most (98%) of the sites I visited were nearer civilisation and as such something resembling a road. RTV was spot on, even the payload height was better. Now imagine that in diesel, today and I suppose the single cab XL diesel Ranger is the equivalent... what's the comfort like compared to a Falcon ute?
Old 28-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
I get that, but the light commercial market is almost universally diesel, if Ford is going to continue with the cab chassis variant - diesel is the price for admission. In the end, Falcon and Ranger are different enough and have different features and pricing to keep them separate. As my dad used to say, you catch more fish with two hooks.
Ford would be very conscience of 'canabalisation' of sales between the two models and would probably be pushing the model that is most profitable for them... that seems to be the Ranger at the moment.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 28-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The thought of a Territory based Ute is a personal favorite of mine an the number of people expressing interest is surprising.
If you had to drop or swap one model with Falcon Ute, that would be it, maybe half chassis can be made fit relatively easily?

Petrol and diesel Ute in RWD or AWD...maybe even a double cab...
Old 28-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford would be very conscience of 'canabalisation' of sales between the two models and would probably be pushing the model that is most profitable for them... that seems to be the Ranger at the moment.
Personally I think it is Ford's real lack of understanding of the appeal of diesel amongst potential Falcon buyers that has Ford pushing LPG instead.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What colour did you buy Joe? My XRT ute is blue.
I actually bought a Silver FG XR6T sedan.. Just because I didn't buy one, does not mean I can't have an opinion!!

So I got my numbers wrong, shut me!! Something happened around that time as they went from selling around 900 to 1,000 each & every month, straight down to around 500 per month.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Personally I think it is Ford's real lack of understanding of the appeal of diesel amongst potential Falcon buyers that has Ford pushing LPG instead.
In fairness, the lead time on projects meant Ford had to make an educated guess on the market in four years time.
When EcoLPI and diesel were commenced in 2008, the market was a very different place and yes diesel would have been better.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #54
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Ford have a V8 ute.
No - FPV have a V8 ute. Ford don't.

Quote:
Ford have the fastest V8 ute ever sold in Australia.
See above.

Quote:
Ford also have the fastest 6 cylinder ute, the fastest LPG ute the only car based trayback ute, the only car based 1 tonne ute but unfortunately holden have fans who show their loyalty by spending money on new utes not complaining on the internet.
And what's the most commonly sold Holden ute? An SS. And what does it have? a V8 engine.

Quote:
FG XR8 ute was quicker and more powerful than Holden SS and was the same price yet I would be very surprised if anyone in this thread bought one new.
I did.

Quote:
FPV GS ute is about the same price a SS-V Redline and again none of you have one.
Because the Redline has more features - its more than just a stonker engine. Also cheaper to insure than the FPV.

Quote:
I bought a XR6T ute
But hang on, you've just told us all how Ford have the best V8 ute. So what's the go?

Quote:
after driving several SS utes as it was quicker, used less petrol, was more comfortable and as an added bonus had a Ford badge.....
Personal preference. Very few people buying 'performance' utes care about fuel usage.

Quote:
Now on the actual topic of 1 piece body. I believe it is not the 1 piece that is the perceived problem it is the lack of IRS which is the result of designing a chassis that would work for wagon, ute, and 1 tonne ute in all forms which has kept the price down.
IRS is generally what most people dislike about the Holden utes as they cannot carry as much weight in the back as a leaf spring setup.

Quote:
One last point, these incredibly well selling V8 utes aren't the ones currently being discounted by up to 30% because no one was buying them are they?
Fairly sure Camrys, Aurions, Kia's, Navaras and about a zillion other models are being heavily discounted at the moment too. But don't let fact get in the way of telling us how we're wrong cos we don't see the world the way you do.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #55
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

The current design Falcon Utes are still very sporty and have much, much superior engines to anything similar in the market. It also lends itself to one tonner styling or creating a custom tray. While people have moved away from traditional utes as workhorses plenty of tradies still use Falcons/Commodores as work utes. Right now if you want performance and practicality of a trayback the Falcon is the only choice unless you want to take a grinder to a VE.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
I'm not sure the ute will make the next face lift let alone a redesign.
This.

I think come 2014 the Falcon ute will probably be chopped.

They are selling about 500 a month, Holden are probably selling around 600 a month, so if it wasn't for the popularity of the SS ute the Falcon would easily outsell it. Ford sells work utes, Holden sell show ponies.

If Ford stop selling the work utes then the range will dwindle down to even tinier sales.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #57
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Advertising"...where's the catchy advert showing a bit of pride in company history (utes in this case), the sort of advert that people talk about the next day after seeing it on TV...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEHFBfVGvrI

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
yes the rtv was good, i don`t understand why they dropped it .
Old 28-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #59
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a ton of those RTV utes out here...two guys I work with have them, and I've seen them as work utes and contractors vehicles as well. They seemed very popular. The two workmates who have them love them for being able to travel over rough roads and off road (to a sensible extent).
Old 28-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #60
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
No - FPV have a V8 ute. Ford don't.

See above.

And what's the most commonly sold Holden ute? An SS. And what does it have? a V8 engine.

I did.

Because the Redline has more features - its more than just a stonker engine. Also cheaper to insure than the FPV.

But hang on, you've just told us all how Ford have the best V8 ute. So what's the go?

Personal preference. Very few people buying 'performance' utes care about fuel usage.

IRS is generally what most people dislike about the Holden utes as they cannot carry as much weight in the back as a leaf spring setup.

Fairly sure Camrys, Aurions, Kia's, Navaras and about a zillion other models are being heavily discounted at the moment too. But don't let fact get in the way of telling us how we're wrong cos we don't see the world the way you do.
Well as FPV (Ford Perfromance Vehicles) is 100% Ford owned that is what makes it a Ford.

I bought a XR6T ute because I wanted one and did not want a V8 even if it was the same price.

Now just how many Holden V8 and V6 utes have been sold this year? Obviously you must know to make such a statement.

Or did you just make it up like the previous 300 per month expert opinion......

I do know that Toyota 86s aren't being discounted..........
Closed Thread