Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Kia reveals sketches of flagship RWD sedan

Awards are what we agree with when a falcon (or ford) tops it, and disagree with when it doesn't.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Didn't say that, but the Falcon is a good driving car, Hyundais aren't.

The best cars awards are based on insurance, fuel, servicing and depreciation costs, safety and warranty. Nothing about what they are like to drive. A poor driving car can still win these awards if it is cheap to run.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

The best cars awards are based on insurance, fuel, servicing and depreciation costs, safety and warranty. Nothing about what they are like to drive. A poor driving car can still win these awards if it is cheap to run.
Research first perhaps?

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/criteria.htm

Quote:
There are three main scoring criteria, each with sub-categories:

Value For Money:
— Pricing
— Depreciation Cost
— Fuel Consumption
— Running and Repair Costs
— Warranty
— Insurance
— Standard Features

Design And Function:
— Safety
— Environment
— Comfort
— Space
— Practicality
— Ergonomics
— Build Quality and Finish

On The Road Performance:
— Performance
— Ride
— Handling
— Braking
— Smoothness and Quietness
— Off Road
Also note that often the cheapest car to buy and run was near the bottom of the dozen or so cars in each catergory - if not dead last.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #34
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
Go find another horn to blow, this thread has nothing to do with Lincoln...
Sure it does. It's all about what a car manufacturer finds necessary for building credibility and moving upmarket.

Kia thinks it needs rear-wheel drive. Lincoln thinks it doesn't.
Old 16-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #35
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Am I the only one who thought it could have been a 7 series BMW?
No; that was also my first thought, how very current-BMW-like it was.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #36
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What a ******* load of garbage. Have you driven an ix35, or a Veloster?
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #37
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Sure it does. It's all about what a car manufacturer finds necessary for building credibility and moving upmarket.

Kia thinks it needs rear-wheel drive. Lincoln thinks it doesn't.
Yeah, Kia, not Lincoln. Seriously, if it's such a problem why don't you go start up an Occupy Dearborn rally?!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
superyob
Banned

Automotive styling lost the plot in the late 70s. This Kia is just another (yawn) copy of the same generic clay model that all car makers have hidden in their basements...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #39
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yes at this stage it's known as 'KH' but i believe the final nameplate should be 'Maseraguar'
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Automotive styling lost the plot in the late 70s. This Kia is just another (yawn) copy of the same generic clay model that all car makers have hidden in their basements...
As apposed to stylist coping eacher other in the 70's 60's 50's 40's...

If anything automotive styling is comming out of an era of safe and bland design...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Research first perhaps?

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/criteria.htm

Also note that often the cheapest car to buy and run was near the bottom of the dozen or so cars in each catergory - if not dead last.
Ok, driving does have some merit in the awards, but its only a small part of it, cause just look at some of the rubbish cars that have won awards over the years. The Aurion won a few and everyone regards it as being the worst of the locally made big cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
What a ******* load of garbage. Have you driven an ix35, or a Veloster?
I wouldn't want to. I just read about them cause I don't have the slightest desire to drive one. Take Wheels COTY award, its not perfect but a good guide to what a car is like to drive and what its dynamics are like, an no Hyundai has ever made it to the final, they are always usually culled in the first round due to the same reasons everytime, they don't steer or ride/handle very well. Its the same with every vehicle they sell here. The new DI engines which make good power on paper are critisised for being pretty gutless too, cause they don't make much usable torque, which is one attribute I could not handle in a car I own.

Don't know about the Veloster cause its just got here and haven't read a proper review yet, but with 100kw they can keep that to sell to grandma to drive down the shops.

Turbo version with 150kw might be a goer but.
Old 16-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #42
Chopped
as in chopped

I like where Peter Schreyer is taking KIA.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've lost touch with the new car market, so from an amateur observer, it looks good to me. If it comes to Aus (if they do start an RHD program), drives OK, and is the only RWD alternative to a commode when the FG company truck is up for renewal, then Kia it is.

As the amateur casual observer I am, both Kia and Hyundai seem to have taken great leaps in the last ten years, similar to Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda of the mid 70s to mid 80s
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #44
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, driving does have some merit in the awards, but its only a small part of it, cause just look at some of the rubbish cars that have won awards over the years. The Aurion won a few and everyone regards it as being the worst of the locally made big cars.

I wouldn't want to. I just read about them cause I don't have the slightest desire to drive one. Take Wheels COTY award, its not perfect but a good guide to what a car is like to drive and what its dynamics are like, an no Hyundai has ever made it to the final, they are always usually culled in the first round due to the same reasons everytime, they don't steer or ride/handle very well. Its the same with every vehicle they sell here. The new DI engines which make good power on paper are critisised for being pretty gutless too, cause they don't make much usable torque, which is one attribute I could not handle in a car I own.

Don't know about the Veloster cause its just got here and haven't read a proper review yet, but with 100kw they can keep that to sell to grandma to drive down the shops.

Turbo version with 150kw might be a goer but.
You're talking out of your ***. You're saying that you haven't driven a car, but can comment on how it drives because of something you read in a magazine. That's one of the more daft things you've said on this forum, by far.
Old 17-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #45
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're talking out of your ***. You're saying that you haven't driven a car, but can comment on how it drives because of something you read in a magazine. That's one of the more daft things you've said on this forum, by far.

Who's talking out of their ***?

Motoring journalists drive pretty much every car that goes on sale, they drive them hard, in the environments for which they were designed, whether that be around the city, challenging country roads, or a race track. Experienced journalists have road circuits which they regularly use to test a cars competence in real world conditions.

How many of us get to do the same thing? I dont know your personal circumstance, but if your like most of us you would only have driven a small insignificant number of cars compared to a typical motoring journalist, and usually within the confines of a city and its traffic.

If I wanted to get an understanding of how a car drives, reading a road test will educate me far more than a 10 minute test drive on the back streets around the dealership.

So if the likes of Wheels say Hyundai dynamics are crap, it would be fair to say Hyundai dynamics are crap. Wheels have done a comparison with the Velostar vs Honda CR Z, not sure when it'll be published but once I've read it I'll have a better idea how it drives than half the people who own one!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

enough insults, warnings will come next
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #47
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I'm saying is, forming an opinion on an entire brand of car from something you've read in a magazine is a bit like being a racist.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Its impossible to drive every type of car on the market, i've seriously got better things to do, and as mentioned a motoring journo's job is to test a car well beyond what an average driver ever would, and its their job to know how well a car drives. Just because you've driven your mums ix35 around the block doesn't make you an expert either, I highly doubt a trundle around the burbs would really put it to the test, not to the extent a belt around a proving grounds ride and handling circuit would.

Its not my fault Hyundai's suspension and steering engineers aren't very good.

Why get all defensive and abusive because you disagree with basically every motoring journo in the country who all say the same thing about Hyundais, nice equipment levels, good value, good build quality but average ride/handling and steering. Geeezzzz.
Old 18-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #49
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
Yeah, Kia, not Lincoln. Seriously, if it's such a problem why don't you go start up an Occupy Dearborn rally?!
It seems to be a much larger problem for you.

I am interested in learning more about this Kia, and its drive configuration is the main reason.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #50
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bossxr8, Maybe you don't quite understand what I'm saying. What you're saying is "All Hyundai's are bad drivers cars because I read it in a magazine."

So I guess then it's okay for me to say: Holden is better than Ford, Ford will be dead in 4 years in Australia and Fords have bad build quality. I read all those statements in magazines once, must be true and okay to have as an opinion!
Old 18-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

5.0 V8 Hyundai Genesis, I could see people buying that....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #52
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Carsguide ran a comparo last week I think it was between Camry, Mazda 6, Optima and i45 I believe and the Kia rated very highly.

I think styling wise it looks one of the best sedans currently on the market. But however it may actually drive like a bucket of **** but at least you'd look good. Haha..
Old 18-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #53
nstg8a

looks a bit like pre-production drawing of the optima.

i took an optima for a test drive before buying my fg, i loved it, awesome interior, felt like a much more expensive car.
steering and handling was imo, just your normal typical big front driver... safe, predictable and thats about that. performance was the same, theyre no sports cars, but thats not what theyre made for...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Bossxr8, Maybe you don't quite understand what I'm saying. What you're saying is "All Hyundai's are bad drivers cars because I read it in a magazine."

So I guess then it's okay for me to say: Holden is better than Ford, Ford will be dead in 4 years in Australia and Fords have bad build quality. I read all those statements in magazines once, must be true and okay to have as an opinion!
Its a bit hard to ignore when it's said over and over and over again by every motoring journo that drives one. Bit different when it may be the odd one from time to time.

But who knows, they may get it right one day, they are trying very hard, they did improve I45 a little bit by doing a tune for Australian roads after the journos blasted the original suspension setup, but it still wasn't that great. They will get it right eventually though, its just a matter of time.
Old 19-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #55
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a bit hard to ignore when it's said over and over and over again by every motoring journo that drives one. Bit different when it may be the odd one from time to time.

But who knows, they may get it right one day, they are trying very hard, they did improve I45 a little bit by doing a tune for Australian roads after the journos blasted the original suspension setup, but it still wasn't that great. They will get it right eventually though, its just a matter of time.
Well, we agree on something at least, .

Just to clear up a slight misnomer here too: Yes, my mother has an ix35, but I've done a bit more than drive it around the block. Of the 35,000kms on it now, I've done at least 10,000kms borrowing it for work and the such. Because it's on a novated lease, it needs to do 30,000kms a year. So I do my bit.
Old 19-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #56
letmeinplease
Starter Motor

<3 Very Nice
letmeinplease is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't belive how maive some people are...Most Jurnos are paid off for favourable comments. Each review should be taken as guide and a guide only, certainly not gospel like some people preach.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #58
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So Kia pays the journos to say they ride/handle like rubbish?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #59
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
So Kia pays the journos to say they ride/handle like rubbish?
Perhaps the point is that Kia doesn't pay off the journos!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #60
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFrod
Interesting for the Falcon doomsayers how Kia percieves a demand for a global RWD sedan though, isn't it...
More and more it makes Ford look like non-committal limp-wristed losers.

Still no indication of a RWD sedan Lincoln. And soon... Hyundai/Kia will be selling two in Ford's own turf.