Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Holden reveals that it has received $2.17 billion in Federal Government assistanc

Thanks Sinead,
Has there been significant decline in that assistance in the last three or four years?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: Holden reveals that it has received $2.17 billion in Federal Government assistanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps View Post
Read the post immediately above yours XWGT. We didn't / don't have to disclose our number as we release it each and every year as part of our accounts.
Hi Sinead

While I understand that Sinead there is a difference between passive disclosure and proactive conditioning :-)

I would seriously be taking the opportunity offered by Holden to clear the slate publicly with minimum exposure and.

If one thing is for certain this issue is NOT going to go away, especially with an election looming and I'd be using Holden as the sacrifical lamb right now.

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Sinead Phipps

JPD80 - not really. Grants are accessed as programs work through various gateways so it isn't necessarily done on a calendar year basis. ATS credits are based on production and R&D so again, that comes down to the level of work underway at any given time.

XWGT - the other way to look at it is that we release our grants each year as part of our results. We take questions and position it at that time proactively (the other brands do not - which is why Holden had to "release" theirs yesterday): for example, last year we were able to show that in the five years prior to the end of 2011, we'd spent $1.7 billion on R&D alone, which made us the highest of the local brands. Without knowing what Holden's agenda is in releasing their figures now (for some reason, they don't explain their plans to us :-)), why get involved in this discussion again?
Sinead Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The article said the figures were released because of some sort of dispute they (Holden) were having with The Financial Review newspaper. Obviously the Fin Review published something that Holden took issue with, and it escalated from there. Someone from News Ltd must have FOI'ed the relevant government department for the figures on Holden and basically forced Holden to play its hand.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Hi Sinead

While I understand that Sinead there is a difference between passive disclosure and proactive conditioning :-)

I would seriously be taking the opportunity offered by Holden to clear the slate publicly with minimum exposure and.

If one thing is for certain this issue is NOT going to go away, especially with an election looming and I'd be using Holden as the sacrifical lamb right now.

Just my 2 cents.....
I personally don't see the need for Ford to say anything here. We have already seen one article that shows Ford with the highest received support per car built. Now, I know we here all now that figure was calculated very un-accurately, but average Job does not know & does not care & will just use it to continue to put Ford down!!

I can’t see any good coming from it..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Mmm. Given the amount of venom the Fairfax and News Ltd outlets have for Ford (from the hands of only a few reporters I might add), and the local car industry in general, I think no matter how they (Ford) try and spin it, it will still be portrayed in the negative.

But rather than stay silent, perhaps Ford could talk up the R&D role it plays and the $$$ that have been invested there of late - like developing the T6 for starters. This is a project traditionally carried out by Dearborn itself, giving it to a "foreign" design bureau is a remarkable first for Ford and shows the confidence they have in the Aussie outpost - the media and the public need to be reminded of that amongst all the populist hysteria of subsidies and monthly sales.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 03-04-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added more verbige.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
I personally don't see the need for Ford to say anything here. We have already seen one article that shows Ford with the highest received support per car built. Now, I know we here all now that figure was calculated very un-accurately, but average Job does not know & does not care & will just use it to continue to put Ford down!!

I can’t see any good coming from it..
Exactly, this is a case where Ford could step forward and make the situation worse
by being drawn into a public argument that only serves the purposes of the adversarial press.

I'm aware that in the Past Sinead has told us that Ford has tried to explain situations
to the media but that they take their own negative spin and twist people's words.

The best that we can do is accept that Ford is choosing its battles and avoiding damaging public conflict.

The best we can hope for is some "authoritative guidance" in the right direction when negative spin is being spread..
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Mmm. Given the amount of venom the Fairfax and News Ltd outlets have for Ford (from the hands of only a few reporters I might add), and the local car industry in general, I think no matter how they (Ford) try and spin it, it will still be portrayed in the negative.

But rather than stay silent, perhaps Ford could talk up the R&D role it plays and the $$$ that have been invested there of late - like developing the T6 for starters. This is a project traditionally carried out by Dearborn itself, giving it to a "foreign" design bureau is a remarkable first for Ford and shows the confidence they have in the Aussie outpost - the media and the public need to be reminded of that amongst all the populist hysteria of subsidies and monthly sales.
Holden are the past masters in self promotion, maybe it's time that Ford told people what it's doing behind the scenes....
Being a "quit achiever" only works when people are already aware of the efforts going on...
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

[QUOTE=Sinead Phipps;4685228]JPD80 - not really. Grants are accessed as programs work through various gateways so it isn't necessarily done on a calendar year basis. ATS credits are based on production and R&D so again, that comes down to the level of work underway at any given time.

XWGT - the other way to look at it is that we release our grants each year as part of our results. We take questions and position it at that time proactivelyQUOTE]

Hi Sinead

I get that. However I think the argument has gone beyond an informed industry analysis story every year to a red rag for the masses and fodder for certain pulp journalists to base their next 24 months pay cheque on.

Unfortunately it seems the public debate has now become a personal and political one (i.e totally irrational) and I'd be using Holden as a human sheild right now if I had the chance :-)

Either way, best of luck with it.