Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #31
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
I remember those ads they used to run where they showed that going 5km over the limit increases your stopping distance by soo much...what if you're driving a Porsche 911 which would stop a lot quicker than the average car, doesn't apply then does it??
there was an article in one of the car magazines a coupla years ago that looked at handling and braking capabilities of a number of performance cars compared to "average" cars and noted that performance cars are a lot safer. Pretty obvious if you think about it i suppose, but I can't see the cops being too impressed when you use it to argue your way out of a speeding fine... pity
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
That tree could fall on your car while you are parked and still kill you....WHAT IS YOUR POINT ?

This report is exactly what educated drivers alreads know. You drive to suite the conditions of the road. EXCESSIVE speed for the conditions is dangerous, driving over the POSTED speed limit is not always dangerous, contrary to what the revenue police and governments want us to believe.
you hit the nail on the head , however the problem is that many of the numb nuts out there don`t know what the correct speed is for the conditions.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #33
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seems quite a few of you are very misguided indeed....

as for sports car stopping better then your 'average' car.. that may be true... but that same sports car still takes longer to stop if it's travelling 10km/h faster..

speeding is a major contributor to crashes... as it tends to exaggerate all other things leading to crashes... speeding increases reaction time distance.. you will travel further before you have a chance to react... that kind thing.... saying speed doesn't kill is very pig headed in my opinion ....

anyone can take statistics and conclude what they want to from them...

for instance... i could say based on fact.. that travelling at 150km/h is safer then travelling at 60km/h because there are far less crashes at 150km/h.... but this fails to take into account there are less vehicles travelling at 150km/h.....

and also... as has been said... driving to the conditions is of great importance...

thats about all i got for now.....
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #34
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Are you serious ?

Anyone who has gone on holiday in a jet plane cruising at 1000kph should be dead then.

how about you think before you post.... or atleast read what you are replying to....

what was said was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the fact is the faster you collide with something , the direct proportionate chance of dying increases . the title of this post is false.
what does EVERYONE on a jet plane collide with to make them all dead?

and when another forum member called you up on it.. you dismissed it and said speed doesn't kill.....
Old 03-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #35
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
speeding is a major contributor to crashes... as it tends to exaggerate all other things leading to crashes... speeding increases reaction time distance.. you will travel further before you have a chance to react... that kind thing.... saying speed doesn't kill is very pig headed in my opinion .........
? You may be right in that context, in most cases an idiot behind the wheel who exceeds theirs or the cars ability combined with or as part of the exceeded ability being speed then it would be a common cause of these accidents, not the speed alone.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #36
VSSII

This repetitive topic strikes me as a very very simple one with one basic point. The faster you go the less time you have to react to hazards. Simple! Speed limits and advisory signs are designed taking into account an average driver with average skills.

My state govt does not have the $$ to educate every new driver in the manner some people suggest. Let alone repeat testing. (Incedentally, where else in the world is this done?) It can't even fix its hospitals, let alone its roads. To argue that speed doesn't kill on the basis that its the sudden stop that does the damage is to misinterprate the findings immensely. Its splitting hairs! :

I've always said I feel sorry for the mexicans with their ridiculous tolerances on their speed camers, but speed enforcement is an obviously beneficial tool if your aim is to reduce road trauma.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #37
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
This repetitive topic strikes me as a very very simple one with one basic point. The faster you go the less time you have to react to hazards. Simple! Speed limits and advisory signs are designed taking into account an average driver with average skills.

My state govt does not have the $$ to educate every new driver in the manner some people suggest. Let alone repeat testing. (Incedentally, where else in the world is this done?) It can't even fix its hospitals, let alone its roads. To argue that speed doesn't kill on the basis that its the sudden stop that does the damage is to misinterprate the findings immensely. Its splitting hairs! :

I've always said I feel sorry for the mexicans with their ridiculous tolerances on their speed camers, but speed enforcement is an obviously beneficial tool if your aim is to reduce road trauma.
As a mexican (who currently has two premiership cups safely in our borders ) I think you will find that people are tired of the constant speed is the sole cause of all accidents and the way most governments have profited from there anti speeding campaigns when these campaigns have not reduced the road toll.

I think governments have an obilgation to teach people how to drive and that they can afford the $$$ (after all how much value do they put on an individuals/families life and how much does road trauma costs the community)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #38
GT-E

97% of crashes occur UNDER the posted speed limit.
Now, can the "speed kills" forumites please tell me that excessive speeding is a major factor in most crashes ?

Too many people are brainwashed into believing that speed kills and speed cameras save lives. If you feel comfortable with this, then I hope the UFO's do not abduct you or that Jesus will be stopping by for a Coffee.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #39
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That tree could fall on your car while you are parked and still kill you....WHAT IS YOUR POINT ?

This report is exactly what educated drivers alreads know. You drive to suite the conditions of the road. EXCESSIVE speed for the conditions is dangerous, driving over the POSTED speed limit is not always dangerous, contrary to what the revenue police and governments want us to believe.
Agreed 100%. Speed in appropriate conditions is perfectly safe. For ex. Merging in QLD. Some people just have no idea about merging... they sit at the end of the merging lane and just park.. and wait for a break in the traffic where they need to accelerate hard to reach the speed limit to fit in. They should be at the speed limit well before they reach the end of the merging lane, and they should then adjust their speed appropriately to fit in with the flow of traffic (whether that be faster, or slower). My point is, that in the correct situations - speed is not a bad thing.

My Dad was in the NSW highway patrol for years (say 30yrs odd). Back then they only booked you when you were driving dangerously/were maintaining a dangerous speed over a prolonged distance. Now they book you for having the needle slightly on the wrong side of the line. IMO, it's a government revenue raising campaign - the government wants more money, lower the speed limit and bag all the money they can get from normal drivers who are not driving dangerously at all.

Last edited by lilmattie; 03-10-2007 at 01:17 PM.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #40
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once again.. misinterpreted statistics....
Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #41
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Why complain that the goverment doesn't have enough $$ to have better driving courses? You want to have your license then you pay to do the courses. People whinge that it costs to much to get your license, yet fail to reliese they don't have a right to drive a car on the roads.

We don't have to get rid of all cameras, but what do these new point to point cameras achieve? Nothing but a whole bunch of highway drivers constantly watching thier speedo so they don't get to the cameras 10secs to fast. Why doesn't the revenue from the cameras go towards driver training?
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Consider this:
"Excessive speed" maybe travelling beyond a safe speed limit for the conditions presented to the driver (or vehicle), "excessive speed" is not necessarily travelling above the posted speed limit...
For someone to loose control (as opposed to not paying attention) of their car which results in an accident id say speed may very well be a significant contributer, that doesnt meant they were travelling over the speed limit though.. just faster than they should have been going for either their ability, the conditions or the vehicle can handle in those conditions.....

Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #43
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No matter where you are, speeding is speeding.

Outback Jack i see and know where your coming from as far as driving at speed on the oooooooopen roads of NT, i wish to have a shot one day myself.

I think the problem is that when a young person wraps themselves around poles, trees etc etc It happens in a built up suburban, city area ie Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, not on open roads.
When this happens speed is usually a contributing factor!
Hence why all these rules for new licence holders have/are being implemented.

It is then at this point that i think the NT Government have felt the need to aline themselves with the eastern states in regards to such issues, so as not to be abused by the minorities when people say "you can drive flat out on NT roads"

Just my thoughts but i never finished year 11 so go easy.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #44
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-250
No matter where you are, speeding is speeding.

Outback Jack i see and know where your coming from as far as driving at speed on the oooooooopen roads of NT, i wish to have a shot one day myself.

I think the problem is that when a young person wraps themselves around poles, trees etc etc It happens in a built up suburban, city area ie Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, not on open roads.
When this happens speed is usually a contributing factor!
Hence why all these rules for new licence holders have/are being implemented.

It is then at this point that i think the NT Government have felt the need to aline themselves with the eastern states in regards to such issues, so as not to be abused by the minorities when people say "you can drive flat out on NT roads"

Just my thoughts but i never finished year 11 so go easy.
I agree with you there. Not all open roads are safe for an open limit. The minorities that you have mentioned do certainly exist. But this has never created a mountain of dead teenagers stacked up on the side of the road. These young'uns do go out and give it a squirt, they have always done it and always will. Regardless of the speed limit. 9 times out of 10 they scare the crap out of themselves and bleed off the speed and put it down to experience. High speed high way cruising is not for everyone. The vast majority of NT drivers pre 01/01/07 would cruise at about 140. That is illegal now. Some would cruise at 160+. My usual cruising speed was about 160 to 180. And at times I have cruised at 80kph, when the situation warranted it.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #45
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Consider this:
"Excessive speed" maybe travelling beyond a safe speed limit for the conditions presented to the driver (or vehicle), "excessive speed" is not necessarily travelling above the posted speed limit...
For someone to loose control (as opposed to not paying attention) of their car which results in an accident id say speed may very well be a significant contributer, that doesnt meant they were travelling over the speed limit though.. just faster than they should have been going for either their ability, the conditions or the vehicle can handle in those conditions.....

Exactly right mate,

Driver experience,road and vehicle conditions are the main factors as to whether speeding is safe or not,but the general attitude on this forum is that speeding is safe in any situation, on any road and in any vehicle,and why do people have that attitude??? Because they are the "experts" and speeding is not dangerous under any circumstances..........
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #46
Dilan

Though a majority of enthusiasts etc would be able to be competent drivers at highers speeds what about the ones that are terrible drivers when they drive at 60, imagine them driving.

A bit of comedey
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gT8GbYL35oU
Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #47
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
how about you think before you post.... or atleast read what you are replying to....

what was said was...

what does EVERYONE on a jet plane collide with to make them all dead?

and when another forum member called you up on it.. you dismissed it and said speed doesn't kill.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the title of this post is false.
This IS incorrect, colliding with an object at speed kills, going fast on it's own does not.

How about you look at whom you are calling a fool before you post, you may find your right to post removed.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 03-10-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #48
GT-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
Exactly right mate,

Driver experience,road and vehicle conditions are the main factors as to whether speeding is safe or not,but the general attitude on this forum is that speeding is safe in any situation, on any road and in any vehicle,and why do people have that attitude??? Because they are the "experts" and speeding is not dangerous under any circumstances..........
I do not know where you got the idea that "the general attitude on this forum is that speeding is safe in any situation, on any road and in any vehicle,and why do people have that attitude??? Because they are the "experts" and speeding is not dangerous under any circumstances"

This is painting us all with the same brush.
I have been driving and racing cars for 20 years. Never had an at fault accident, never lost my license and consider myself a very good driver. I believe that my experience allows me to judge a safe speed to drive.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #49
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

My 2cents, Ive just got back from a trip up to northern nsw. Due to the double demerits I was very careful to stick to the speed limit at all times..... this however caused a few scary moments as I was more concerned with the speedo than the oncoming traffic.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #50
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
I do not know where you got the idea that "the general attitude on this forum is that speeding is safe in any situation, on any road and in any vehicle,and why do people have that attitude??? Because they are the "experts" and speeding is not dangerous under any circumstances"

This is painting us all with the same brush.
I have been driving and racing cars for 20 years. Never had an at fault accident, never lost my license and consider myself a very good driver. I believe that my experience allows me to judge a safe speed to drive.

I got that idea mate because I read the majority of responses in this thread,and any thread related to speed on this forum is full of the same sort of attitudes,maybe you are an experienced driver and it sounds like you are, but does that meen you can speed safely in any car under any conditions????Theres plenty of people out there who think they can.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #51
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On another note, i always hear and read about more people being educated as to how the should conduct themselves on the road. Just showing people graphic images of accidents and saying if you speed, this will happen to you. Well.....no, technically it wont but it's the inexperience that comes with driving "at" speed. I dont know what the government thinks is an appropriate form of education on the matter, but i believe it may be about to what the general public believe??

Still, no matter how many people get the treatment there will still be that go out and put themselves, and others in danger! It cant be stopped, but it could be minimised!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #52
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I got that idea mate because I read the majority of responses in this thread,and any thread related to speed on this forum is full of the same sort of attitudes,maybe you are an experienced driver and it sounds like you are, but does that meen you can speed safely in any car under any conditions????Theres plenty of people out there who think they can.
I have gone through this whole thread and not one person has eluded to being able to speed anywhere they like whenever they like.. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet. The vast majority here are simply venting due to state governments putting camera's any where and every where and then lowering the threshold of when a fine is imposed....... Any old red neck knows that open speed limits can't be put just anywhere!! But there are many roads around this country where a higher limit would be acceptable. But so long as governments around this country are raking $1,000,000.00 per day, why would they implement them??
Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #53
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I have gone through this whole thread and not one person has eluded to being able to speed anywhere they like whenever they like.. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet. The vast majority here are simply venting due to state governments putting camera's any where and every where and then lowering the threshold of when a fine is imposed....... Any old red neck knows that open speed limits can't be put just anywhere!! But there are many roads around this country where a higher limit would be acceptable. But so long as governments around this country are raking $1,000,000.00 per day, why would they implement them??

(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)

Freedom,safety and liberty for all australians hey outbackjack............
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #54
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I have a question, is speeding going over the speed limit posted or driving over ones ability based on the various conditions at the time?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #55
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I have a question, is speeding going over the speed limit posted or driving over ones ability based on the various conditions at the time?
Exactly!!! If your insurance company deems that you were driving too fast for the conditions, regardless of your ability, then you are speeding and they will write you off. Just another excuse not to pay. BUT, who decides that you were driving beyong your ability!!

But speed camera's only care about the posted speed limit. They are road condition ignorant. EG, this happened to me about 12 months ago.... Gold Coast freeway, between Helensvale (SP?) and Brissy, one mutha of a thunder storm with extremely heavy rain..... 60kph was too fast for the conditions, but still, mum and dad camry driver were still overtaking at the speed limit (100kph). This was dangerous driving at its worst, but no speed camera would be taking pictures of them!! Except the faulty ones perhaps.

Speeding is a very subjective topic.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #56
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)(//)

Freedom,safety and liberty for all australians hey outbackjack............
Keep reading and learning, you will get there!!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #57
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I noticed a lot of posts back there stating that travelling at higher speeds in the right situation/circumstances. Only an idiot would speed all the time in every situation and all conditions.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #58
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
it seems quite a few of you are very misguided indeed....

as for sports car stopping better then your 'average' car.. that may be true... but that same sports car still takes longer to stop if it's travelling 10km/h faster..

speeding is a major contributor to crashes... as it tends to exaggerate all other things leading to crashes... speeding increases reaction time distance.. you will travel further before you have a chance to react... that kind thing.... saying speed doesn't kill is very pig headed in my opinion ....

anyone can take statistics and conclude what they want to from them...

for instance... i could say based on fact.. that travelling at 150km/h is safer then travelling at 60km/h because there are far less crashes at 150km/h.... but this fails to take into account there are less vehicles travelling at 150km/h.....

and also... as has been said... driving to the conditions is of great importance...

thats about all i got for now.....
Bah,I speed almost everywhere I go,if you dont like it stiff,become a cop and book me,Ill pay it and keep on speeding.
By speeding I mean to a speed I feel is safe,but above the posted limit.
Usually a MINIMUM of 125km/h on a freeway,sometimes more..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
That was exactly the point i was making earlier...

Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #60
sleepyhead
Starter Motor

Does anyone knows what a responsible driver is? And I believe that everyone in here are, reflect on the way you think and reply. Speed is not basically the reason of road accidents, it's always because of some third parties like other cars, stupid people on the highways and sudden reactions of the drivers.

Anyway, anyone in here. Just be careful.
: