Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Default Re: GOODBYE Car Modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I don't mean the number of modified cars around, I mean the reasons for bringing in tougher regulations. Eg: crashs, catastrophic failures, pollution etc.
+1

I too would like someone to answer this, but we all know what the answer is; dont we?
Old 27-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
prasac
Banned

Cabbage, there is alot of info regarding it on this site http://sites.google.com/site/no2vsccs/
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Copy, will check it out.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #34
MelsGolf
Banned

Ok, with respect to Prosac and the topic ive taken the time to read this thread and the information.

To the best of my limited ability to analyse this i think both the title and jist of this thread is wrong, or misleading.

The Laws arent changing, nobody is stopping people from modifying cars, its the method of verification that is, so, in my limited opinion its a storm in a tea cup.

Personally i think its a good thing that the system is being standardised and regulated tighter, too many backyard cowboys out there.
MelsGolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Agreed, making a mountain from a mole hill. If your car is poorly modded well i hope you get caught, simple.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelsGolf
Ok, with respect to Prosac and the topic ive taken the time to read this thread and the information.

To the best of my limited ability to analyse this i think both the title and jist of this thread is wrong, or misleading.

The Laws arent changing, nobody is stopping people from modifying cars, its the method of verification that is, so, in my limited opinion its a storm in a tea cup.

Personally i think its a good thing that the system is being standardised and regulated tighter, too many backyard cowboys out there.
You are right but this is the first thing there doing to the roll out the new laws which are coming....

All engineering has been put on hold until this is sorted and once it is they will be introducing the new laws and regulations...
Old 27-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #37
MelsGolf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
You are right but this is the first thing there doing to the roll out the new laws which are coming....

All engineering has been put on hold until this is sorted and once it is they will be introducing the new laws and regulations...
Ok, but there's no need for the major over reaction or false panic stations, just sounds like they're applying a more uniform common sense approach to validation, dont you think?
MelsGolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #38
bluovl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelsGolf
Ok, but there's no need for the major over reaction or false panic stations, just sounds like they're applying a more uniform common sense approach to validation, dont you think?
No I dont think it is. "Major over reaction" By who? The Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs who organised the rally on the 26th Feb. They consist of hundreds of clubs and represent many thousands of members. Have a good look at the link that Prasac has provided and you will see what clubs make up the confederation. Hardly look like the hoons and back yarders that the supporters of this proposal will have us believe.

'Over reaction' by those that involved in the manufacturing of buses, police vehicles, ambulances and vehicles for the disabled. They dont sound like the hoons you are fearful of.

'False panic stations' by engineers who have successfully engineered vehicles in the past with no problems but cant sign off anymore because they aren't licensed mechanics. Come on.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #39
prasac
Banned

there are people much more knowledgeable about the situation than ourselves and the people that are getting involved and what i have heard from other sources it is far from a storm in a teacup.

an event like this wouldn't be organised nor would the ministers make their way out if they believed it wouldn't seriously affect modifications in the future. they have said it before. the ultimate goal is to keep modified vehicles off the road.

the funny thing is they are pushing the 'hoon' factor, because they have nothing else, with all the negative media they create, they make people believe everyone with a modified car is a hoon, yet, there is no proof.

as bluovl said the engineers had been doing a fantastic job up until now. an engineer can in no way control what a person does with their car on the street or after they do the engineers report. they talk about high-powered vehicles, yet how many 10-sec etc XY's, Torana's etc do you see driving the streets? even 11-sec? the F6 and new 5L blown Falcon with just a little tune and exhaust is capable of running low 11's even 10's.

you've heard the saying ''guns don't kill people, people kill peopl'' the same applies here, the cars are not the problem it's the stupid 1% of people which abuse the system. my brother's car is probably the fastest legally registered car in the country, it's fully engineered and legal to RTA. he doesn't ''hoon'' around he drives sensibly. the funny thing is when we are at a set of lights it's guys in their Commodores, Falcons, WRX's, in factory modified cars who want to try and run him. guys in the old skool cars, pull up give him the thumbs up, wave or nod and just slowly drive off and cruise like they normally would. we used to go on cruises with anywhere from 50-500 cars at a time, the odd 1 or 2 might do a burnout, but noone raced or did anything dangerous. gone are those days now, people are becoming too scared to take their cars out anymore.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
No I dont think it is. "Major over reaction" By who? The Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs who organised the rally on the 26th Feb. They consist of hundreds of clubs and represent many thousands of members. Have a good look at the link that Prasac has provided and you will see what clubs make up the confederation. Hardly look like the hoons and back yarders that the supporters of this proposal will have us believe.

'Over reaction' by those that involved in the manufacturing of buses, police vehicles, ambulances and vehicles for the disabled. They dont sound like the hoons you are fearful of.

'False panic stations' by engineers who have successfully engineered vehicles in the past with no problems but cant sign off anymore because they aren't licensed mechanics. Come on.
I wouldn't think rms would be trying to or inadvertently making it harder to certify ambulances and police cars. This would seem a tenuous link for opposers of the changes to make. It's a good idea to have a rally and put your side of things across.

In relation to engineers, I would think you would want engineers with experience with motor vehicles to be approving mods, not just any engineer.
Clinton
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #41
prasac
Banned

all the engineers are RTA approved so they know there or should.
Old 27-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #42
bluovl

Just wondering whether anybody here got to this event or has any feedback of what happened.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
bullfrog

I think that maybe there is a lot of miss-information being spread around about these changes.
I have just had my 1989 Hiace van engineered and passed. It now has a V6 Supercharged engine with auto, K-frame mod /substitution, diff substitution/ brake mod, wheel/tyre substitution, steering modification and tailshaft modification.
The whole process went fairly smoothly. The only issue/delay was waiting for my Engineer to reapply and gain his licence with the RMA.
Aside from the usual process of looking at and photographing the mods, the only tests required were EPA for exhaust noise and brake test on suburban streets (no hiring of tracks etc.)
Old 27-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #44
CCFord
Starter Motor

For anyone who is interested here is a video on youtube
of the Hon. Duncan John GAY, MLC Member of the Legislative Council
Minister for Roads and Ports, speaking at the inaugural Motor Enthusiasts Conference Eastern Creek raceway yesterday.

http://youtu.be/kwk9Y-d6RC4

Check us out
www.facebook.com/centralcoastford
www.centralcoastford.com.au
CCFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #45
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So far after watching the video ,I don`t see what all the fuss is about! The Hon. Duncan John Gay seems to be level headed & a bit of a car Enthusiast too! If you have a representive on the committy their should not be much of a problem! Ive seen some dodgy mods in my time & if it keeps them off the road & the legit ones insured I`m all for it!
Old 27-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #46
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
the ultimate goal is to keep modified vehicles off the road.

the funny thing is they are pushing the 'hoon' factor, because they have nothing else, with all the negative media they create, they make people believe everyone with a modified car is a hoon, yet, there is no proof..
I think the majority of general public now more than ever understand that 99% of folks that have invested so much $$ effort in their pride & joy wether modified, classic, custom etc will NOT engage in any behaviour that puts it at risk on public roads - hell just driving sensibly we fear the mainstream driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
you've heard the saying ''guns don't kill people, people kill peopl'' the same applies here, the cars are not the problem it's the stupid 1% of people which abuse the system. my brother's car is probably the fastest legally registered car in the country, it's fully engineered and legal to RTA. he doesn't ''hoon'' around he drives sensibly. the funny thing is when we are at a set of lights it's guys in their Commodores, Falcons, WRX's, in factory modified cars who want to try and run him. guys in the old skool cars, pull up give him the thumbs up, wave or nod and just slowly drive off and cruise like they normally would. we used to go on cruises with anywhere from 50-500 cars at a time, the odd 1 or 2 might do a burnout, but noone raced or did anything dangerous. gone are those days now, people are becoming too scared to take their cars out anymore.
You have basically summed up your own concern from above - idiots will exist no matter what - hey how many MPs have been done 4 drink driving - yet they're all shining examples are'nt they - NOT.
The 99% of public is no longer as naive as it was in the 60s.

Finally is this pushing to 1 national standard without state contradiction ?

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #47
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Hope that there is a good turnout and positive results.These debates always rely on gradualism.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #48
prasac
Banned

it does impact others alot more than the average guy modifying a car. i think people are more worried about where it is going in the future.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #49
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Doom and gloom. I had a quick squizz on the RTA website and then onto the federal website regarding vehicle mods. It all makes sense to me.