Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Falcon XR4T added?
Yes 101 69.18%
No 45 30.82%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Falcon XR4 Turbo Anyone?

Well i cant see them changing the petrol I6 tune. They will likely just say buy an LPG for a little more performance.

The last 10 years what theyve really needed is something like a Zetec spec Falcon or a general Falcon Sport that would take over the role of a standard XR6. If they had that now i'm sure they'd also have the Ecoboost available.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Like the Falcon S used to be in the EB range.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #33
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
This^^^^

Everyone was screaming out that the XR nameplate had been whored out by fitting a base model engine too it, and now they have suddenly changed their tune and think it will be ok to fit an economy biased 4 cylinder to it.

Make up your minds people.
If it was 3-4 years ago I might agree. But the XR name is not the same now as it was back then. XR is now base, XR is now tax, XR is now cop car. The Damage is already been done to XR, so don’t stop now. Put the bloody Ecoboost engine in!!

One last thought, what happened to the XR8 name when the very similar powered XR6T come out? Now we have a similar powered EB4 (not in Xr form) vs XR6. This will just decrease the value of XR6 even more. Unless they put the EB4 in it!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So like what holden do with the lollytech?

Lol @ damage done to the XR name...

I guess having a Turbo Xr is "damaging"

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
So like what holden do with the lollytech?

Lol @ damage done to the XR name...

I guess having a Turbo Xr is "damaging"
Maybe damaged was the wrong word, but it does **** me off that my 47K XR6T, looks no different to ALL the tax's driving around me!!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

There are already enough sports orientated Falcon models to choose from.
This engine is about economy, which is what the market wants.
It therefore needs to be represented and marketed as an economical choice.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the standard XR6 already goes like a rocket, why would they put a tune into it?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

To get people to trade in their old XR6
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Well the last "unique" XR6's still shared their engine with Fairmont and Fairlane.
Yep, and those were back when the XR name meant more to me.

XR6T holds the flag though.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #40
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see the results on this thread compared to the one I started. This thread showing a much bigger lean towards yes for an XR EB.

A bit of info for you all, we put an Ecoboost G6 Limited demo in a show car show up at Maleny (along with an F6 and GT) (hinterland of the Sunshine Coast) which has a lot of classic cars on show. The amount of genuine interest in the ecoboost was amazing, a lot of question and looking under the hood. And yes, a lot of "I didn't know the Falcon came in a 4 cylinder"

PLEASE FORD KEEP PUSHING THIS CAR

find me on instagram @adm.history for daily automotive historical Australian advertisements.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #41
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR6 has kinda become the entry level Private Buyer into the Falcon range, I don't see many G6s around and I don't think that most people prefer the G6 look over the XR look. I also think that most people do want sporty cars these days (small or large) and the XR fits better than the G6 into that perception ...

Ford should bring the Xr EcoBoost and call it exactly that ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #42
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
agree. I6 petrol should be tuned/improved out to about 230ish kw and be offered in XR6 only. all other models should be ecoboost or ecolpi only. ecolpi optional on XR6?
They do, its called XR6 Turbo..

find me on instagram @adm.history for daily automotive historical Australian advertisements.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I'd like to see one.
But I wouldn't own one.
Nothing wrong with the idea IMO
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Depends on what Ford is planning with Geelong engine and castings plant.

Really left field stuff:
Cleveland No. 2 has closed down and maybe that old 3.0 V6 tooling is now available,
the same engine that Jaguar is applying a supercharger to and getting 250 Kw/450nm and 9.4 l/100km..

I'm really beginning to wonder whether Ford can get 2.0 EB in any serious quantities,
sounds like FNA is working on a 2.3 Ecoboost I-4...that engine would be a better replacement for the XR6.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

No from me, dilutes the Ecoboost concept, it's not about private buyers. Once the ecoboost models go out of warranty I'll be interested to see how the re-sale value compares to the I6 considering the difference in parts pricing and aftermarket support for the Barra compared to the Ecoboost.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To get people to trade in their old XR6

That is actually a good point, many XR6 leases coming up for renewal since FG came out in 08. Gives them a good excuse to get another Falcon with a new and different engine.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #47
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure,wonder if a 4 cyl Falcon would be as popular as the 4 cyl Commodore was......
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
FairlaineG1978
Starter Motor

good fuel consumption??
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
XR6T-R

I'd like to see Ford bring back 2 door coupés, not only a Falcon but maybe revive the Capri, it would be a good platform for the Ecoboost seeing as the Capri's were 3.0L V6's back in the day, but rename them to be XR4s'.

Last edited by XR6T-R; 02-07-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction
XR6T-R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #50
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
That is actually a good point, many XR6 leases coming up for renewal since FG came out in 08. Gives them a good excuse to get another Falcon with a new and different engine.
Hate to ask this, but don't leases come up all the time? I would have thought the same number of leases would come up say this July as there would be say next July, or August.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Hate to ask this, but don't leases come up all the time? I would have thought the same number of leases would come up say this July as there would be say next July, or August.

More referring to the large number of leases that come online in the first 12 or so months after the launch of a new model, especially cars like Falcon and Commodore. You hear of people leasing the new model or prolonging their existing lease to get the new model on changeover.

Its been roughly 3 years since that first 12 month period of the launch of the FG - and the usual lease is about 3 years.

But you are right to question it as I have no data at all to support it.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #52
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They may trade into an XR6 LPi still, but not everyone would be willing to go gas i'd imagine.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
You can start leases anytime of the year but I think a lot of people on novated leases
try to time them to coincide with the FBT year which starts around April..I think..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko
Had the privilege of driving a Ecoboost Falcon during the week. Was very interested to see what all the fuss was about and to see if it was really as good as had been written about. Simple answer...YES. The power was similar to the straight six but the torque spread was a bit better. Handling also felt much better. So the next thought was. Would there be a market out there for an Ecoboost in XR guise? You would think that tuners will have a play soon and grab a bit more power out of it. The improved handling due to less weight up front would make it a bit of a weapon potentially. I see the biggest problem being brand acceptance. What do you guys reckon?
But can u cannot get the EB in the ute or with LPG, FoA would have been better offering a diesel version, the large sedan diesel would have been owned by Ford Falcon, look at the amount of Terri diesels sold.

Ford can wait till the Commodore is fitted with a diesel and then act, follow the leader again!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #55
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory diesel has nothing to do with a magic theoretical Falcon diesel. SUV's market wide sell with a high percentage of diesels. Passenger vehicles sell at a much lower percentage when offered with a diesel.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Territory diesel has nothing to do with a magic theoretical Falcon diesel. SUV's market wide sell with a high percentage of diesels. Passenger vehicles sell at a much lower percentage when offered with a diesel.
Not sure about that, the Germans are selling boat loads of diesel sedans and even coupes and soft tops diesel powered, some models diesels outsel PULP
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
But can u cannot get the EB in the ute or with LPG, FoA would have been better offering a diesel version, the large sedan diesel would have been owned by Ford Falcon, look at the amount of Terri diesels sold.

Ford can wait till the Commodore is fitted with a diesel and then act, follow the leader again!
Diesel would have been worth fitting to the Falcon purely for the Ute sales - sedan sales would have been cream on top (albeit very lucrative cream). I have gone on and on and on why diesel is so critical for Falcon, so I wont rehash them.

Back to XR6 Ecoboost, I wouldnt be suprised to see it offered down the track, but they would probably be better off to offer Ecoboost in Mondeo wagon really, although they are having big problems shifting Mondeo Hatch Ecoboosts even with stupidly long waits on Mondeo diesel.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #58
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
Not sure,wonder if a 4 cyl Falcon would be as popular as the 4 cyl Commodore was......
That was 1980 4 cylinder technology, a lot of things have changed in 30+ years!

1980- VC Holden Commodore Starfire

1.9L twin barrel cab 4 cylinder NA

58kW @ 4600rpm 140Nm @ 2400rpm with a kerb of 1158kg

0-100km 17.5 seconds
0-400km 21 seconds

__________________________________________________ ___________

2012- FG MkII Ford Falcon Ecoboost

2.0L sequential multi point fuel injection turbo charged 4 cylinder

179kW @ 5500rpm 353Nm @ 2000rpm with a kerb of 1648kg

From Motor Mag:

0-100km 7.75 seconds
0-400km 15.49 seconds

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #59
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Yeh the whole comparison between the Commodore/Falcon 4 cylinder is not applicable. Even back then the Commodore was canned by journalists. The Falcon at this moment is getting great reviews. I hope that it potentially brings new customers across. Those buyers who want a larger car but have traditionally bought 4 cylinders. Look at the Camry? The Falcon is a far superior car and now has a great 4 cylinder motor that rivals/exceeds the N/A six. Only makes sense to give a sports upgrade. In my eyes it is no different to the XR6, but potentially handles better.

The turbo is another matter all together. Maybe there could be 2 levels to the XR. The base model which you can have in either 4 or 6 configuration. It could be the old badge of the Falcon S. Then the XR6T for more power and it is maybe badged XR6. That way you have the premium power products in the Ford range wearing the "XR" badge. XR4 Focus, XR5 Mondeo, XR6 Falcon, and XR8 Falcon ( ). This could then give the XR badge that something special again, something that sets it apart from the rest of the range.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #60
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER

Do you want a 3 seater front sit too on this model?? You sure do want Ford to make allot of things. You surly must be the owner of a very very successful & profitable business?