Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #31
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
I'll have the Turbo thanks
each to their own. but i'd rather have money for other things in life, since i'm only 20. makes perfect sense to me....
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #32
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
each to their own. but i'd rather have money for other things in life, since i'm only 20. makes perfect sense to me....
I do have money for other things. Im not silly enough to blow all my cash on a car to be left with nothing. I still managed to save for a 5 week trip to England. If you work your funds out correctly, even on a small wage like mine, you can have anything you like. I don’t drink or smoke so I guess that helps.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #33
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I was paying roughly $1700 - $1800 a year for full comp on my old XR6T, that was a rating 4 and 21.

Go for it, don't listen to others who are trying to put you down because of your age. They might just wish they had the same opportunity when they were young.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #34
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

Agreed, I have a reasonably nice car, own property and dont make the biggest amount of $$$ in the world. All you need to do is budget..

I dont drink or smoke either though..lol
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #35
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytyn
Is just car any good?
I've got comprehensive with Just Car for one of my cars and have just gone through a claim with them (not my fault). I found them very helpful during the claim, and have also found their premiums reasonable. I have had some issues with their agreed value but have found if I whinge long enough they give in.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #36
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I would say go for 3rd party with fire and theft and if you happen to have an accident you can probably use the money that could have been for insurance to fix the car, Im 17 and ive got a bog stock ED XR8 Sprint and most insurance places want over 3500 a year so ive opted for 3rd party, fire and theft at around 500 a year. Just my oppinion good luck with it all.
70caprigt3k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #37
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way would you go 3rd party on a $30 000+ car, its way too risky with that much cash invested in the car.

If you can find a quote for full comp under $2100 a year then you are doing well. It wont come any cheaper than that i wouldn't think.

Its the price you have to pay for owning peformance cars while you are young, theres no way around it.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #38
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
Its the price you have to pay for owning peformance cars while you are young, theres no way around it.
Good point mate (my dad said that to me first thing as soon as i got the car).
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #39
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
When i bout my XR8 i had a hard time finding trouble (e-series XR8). As soon as thry heard "20" and "v8" they pretty muhc hung up on me.
I ended up going with Just Car Insurance, third party fire and theft. Costing me around 527 a year.
It's the age group that kills ya. No matter how good you have been (me = no accidents or lose of points etc etc) the actions of a few have ruined it for the rest of us.
Heading o/t here, but I got my EB when I was 20, and RACV only quoted $290 for 3rd party fire & theft.

Then again location plays a big factor!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
These driver training days you have done....

I stand by my original post. Performance cars are less forgiving than normal vehicles and should be treated accordingly. Failing to do so will bring its own consequences.....

I am not disputing you 1 bit. but taring the same brush with young dick heads and young normal people is two different things.

next time you hark up a burnout and think its funny take your own advice.

Insurance should be a case by case basis and not on the whole stupid population.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #41
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
I am not disputing you 1 bit. but taring the same brush with young dick heads and young normal people is two different things.

Insurance should be a case by case basis and not on the whole stupid population.
I agree, why should the good ones be punished because of the idiots on the road, i mean yes young drivers will make mistakes but by the same token so will older drivers nobody is perfect and nobody is immune from doing something stupid once in a while (yes i am aware that younger drivers tend to do stupid things more often) its human nature. All in all i agree it should be a person to person basis punish those who deserve it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #42
spoonage
Long Member

Mine is $1100 for me. I'm 20 years old + all my mods are listed. It is insured with a commercial insurance company.

Edit: In regards to someone saying daddy buys the car, I pay for this car myself, all $980/fortnight's worth.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #43
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not everyone is a ******** on the road with hipo cars. not all young guys should be tared with the same brush.

Well mate, your all out of luck, because the insurance don't give a hoot. So yep same brush, same tare even. Get use to it

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #44
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Read My Thread!

I started a thread a while a go on just cars, then it turned into comparing insurrance companys......

Cheers

Simon :

Here the link.....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=45236
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #45
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Thats actually a really good price, I think Im getting ripped off (~$1200 for 21 Y/O with AUII xr6 ute with mods) :
i would say so, my mrs is just 22 and her AUII XR8 with stezza and mods is only $900
Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #46
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being 21 , insurance on a BA XR6 non turbo still hurts the pocket , especially when studying full time!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #47
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Problem is here mate, which I had as well, If the finance is in your name, the insuarnace MUST be in your name. If you put your parents as a listed driver, it really makes SFA difference. Just gotta bite the bullet here. Plus, in VIC, that car would be illegal to drive anyways....(for a P plater)....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #48
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

i bought my ed v8 for 4000 its costin me 1750 anually, v8 and 17 year old do not mix, lol its worth it. go for it
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #49
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetus
i bought my ed v8 for 4000 its costin me 1750 anually, v8 and 17 year old do not mix, lol its worth it. go for it
ouch mate , hope its worth all that money for the V8!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You seem to be taking this personally, it is not meant to be.
I suspect you are not aware of how insurance risk is assessed.

Here are a few indicators.
1) Age, statisticly more young people splat than old people and also tend to be out and about more leaving their cars on the street and car parks.
2) Location, there are more prangs & thefts in cities than the bush
3) Gender, males tend to show off whereas females tend to be inattentive
4) Vehicle type, hoons don't buy Protons, Miss Daisies don't buy Porsches and Skodas don't get stolen a lot.

Please note, they (Insurance companies) also rate you on your race and sexual preference but they don't make that real public for obvious reasons.

The idea of individual assessment has several flaws.
1) The number of assessors needed would increase costs so much that the premiums would rise to offset the savings.
2) Driving history is not a true indicator.
My sister is 45 and has held a drivers licence since she was 17. She has never had or caused an accident, never had any traffic offences not even a parking ticket and has had a car registered in her name since 1978 (before you were born I suspect).
Perfect driver? No, she HAS NEVER DRIVEN A CAR SINCE 1978, she is scared of them.
If you are young and have only held a licence for 3 years then you only have 3 years driving history. You might have a perfect record because a) you are really safe or b) you have been backpacking in Europe and not driven for 3 years.
3) Even if you were the best driver in the world it would have no effect on whether your car gets stolen from the supermarket parking lot.

The bottom line is, if you and Craig Lowndes or Todd Kelly lived in the same suburb, bought the same car and were the same age etc, your premiums would be close to identical.

Life is not fair, it never will be..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #51
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

When I bought the NA XR6, I rang 11 places and 9 told me flat out they either didn't want to cover me, or they don't touch the car. They didn't want to know about it even if my 54yr old father had been the owner of it.

The two places left were Just Cars (who wanted $4011 a year - I laughed and hung up) and Young & Cool (~$1500 and who I'm currently with.)

Most of the places I called also said for cars like these now, the age limit has increased to 30, rather than 25 before they lower the premiums.

It sucks, but it could be worse. A friend of mine who at 19 owned a GTS4 Skyline, was turned down by all but one company, who quoted $13,000 a year to cover him.

He sold the car, and bought a restaurant.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #52
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now i'm 18 (just) with a BA XT...it's in my dad's name with me as the nominated driver so premiums are based on me though we do get my dad's no claim bonus. i also build up my NCB over time and each year my insurance goes down abit because i am getting more experience. this year i payed $590 full comprehensive with SGIO. this is for car, wheels and stereo.

i understand whre an insurance comes from as i have lots of idiot mates and i have dones stupid stuff. young people have usually not seen the horrific scenes of a crash and the impacts it has on peoples lives so they aren't scared to be a hoon as someone who may have experienced it.

now yes i do believe myself that driver training courses should lower insurance abit but they are not on road experience...like sport, you can have an awesome player who performs when the heat is on or you can have an awesome trainer who knows WHAT to do but can't do it when the pressure is on.

and imagine how many MILLIONS of dollars insurance compaies would have to spend on individual cases australia wide? PLUS all the wasted money on people jsut wanting a quote to check who they should get insurance with! definitely not cost effective.

i'd love an XR6T but i scare myself in my XT enough already. now a turbo is violent when it hits boost so if you don't know how to drive it you can get in trouble easily...i reckon best thing to do it get an XT or XR6 N/A. get insurance with a company happy with mods, get used to the power (if you aren't already) then do small things like exhuast etc etc then hit it with a supercharger. much more driveable with boost and wit ha well set up one probably abit quicker than an XR6T...and if you hunt auctions you can get the whole lot cheaper than an XR6T...i mean i paid $13k for my car, add say $15k for supercharger, brakes, suspension, driveline etc you have a car about the same performance, more driveable, cheaper on insurance and it is cheaper outright. then theres visual mods;)

just my 2c

Rhyso
rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
These driver training days you have done....

Was there other traffic on the road at the same time?
Little kids running about?
Was it snowing, raining, at night with oncoming headlights?
Was there a herd of skippies or moo cattles wandering about?
Did you have a cold or a hangover?
Were you in a really bad mood or super happy?
Did you get a flat tyre in a corner?
Did someone run a red light in front of you?
Were there bees or wasps in the car?
Were there kids or idiots mates in the back seat distracting you?
Were you late for something important and held up by slow cars?
Was your stereo playing your facorite song at 100db?
Were there potholes or rocks on the track?
Did something fall off the back of a truck in front of you?

Need I go on?

These things happen in the real world........

You, like me, and everyone else here think they are very good drivers and are much better than the average. There must be one really really bad driver somewhere for there to be so many above average.

There is only one FACT about driving and that is no "old fart" on this forum was ever killed in a car accident when they were young.......

Age is not a restriction but attitude and arrogance are.

When I was young I used to ignore my father's advice because I was so much cleverer than him......

Now I have nephews who think they are good drivers except for all the near misses and "incidents" and I try to help them with advice and guess what?
They are so much cleverer than me..........

I hope they will live to be "old farts" one day as the alternative is not all that good.....

I stand by my original post. Performance cars are less forgiving than normal vehicles and should be treated accordingly. Failing to do so will bring its own consequences.....
you put that nicely flappist
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #54
Loq

You're allowed to drive an Xr6T on your Ps?? o_O isn't there some power to weight ratio limit on the cars P platers can drive?
Loq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #55
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Only in VIC i think... I think that because of less weight, that a P Plater can't drive ANY BA/BF falcon....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...edVehicles.pdf

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #56
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
I do have money for other things. Im not silly enough to blow all my cash on a car to be left with nothing. I still managed to save for a 5 week trip to England. If you work your funds out correctly, even on a small wage like mine, you can have anything you like. I don’t drink or smoke so I guess that helps.
i dont drink or smoke either, but i can live without the turbo, its not really needed for me at the moment, although that extra power would be sweet. hey i've already been to england myself, its a great place, you'll love it.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"tarred with the same brush" i love stupid comments like that.
How else are insurance companies supposed to work out premiums if they don't use statistics to calculate the risk!!! :
When i was 20 i bought a cheap XC falcon and put "excess" cash into an investment property!!
New flash cars had to wait till i had some kind of asset behind me first.
By 28 i was comfortably moving forward in life, new cars arent an issue now.
Im glad i invested in the future first while i was young enough to, id hate to have to find a 10% deposit for a house now, or just be entering the property market..

Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #58
Barry_v
rocknrolla

My dad bought a near new XY 302 as his second car back in the early 70s. That would be the equivalent of an XR6T nowadays. He never crashed it. Ive had my license for about 4 years now and Ive never had a traffic offence in any of our cars. and I drive a hotted up 302 everyday and a 351 on weekends.

just because you were a 'know it all' moron when you were young doesnt mean everyone was.

I keep the 302 on 3rd party, even with a perfect record insurance is too high for my liking. the 351 is joint owned with my dad and it has conditional rego. retired old person with a car on conditional registration (drives 90 days a year) means comprehensive is only $250 or something silly from shannons, even with a 20yo listed as a driver.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #59
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

might have to check out Just Cars.... insurance on the XD is a bit hard to find...haha.... AAMI practically laughed at me....19y.o+351clevo = $$$$

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #60
illusionzzz

I'm 21 and own a heavily modded BA XR6T, i've had no previous accidents or infringements. I'm comprehensively covered by Just Car Insurance for around $2400 a year (should go down a fair bit when i renew my policy). All my mods are listed on the policy, and theres a fair few!!! Car is covered for $37000

I dont know why anyone would bother buying a NA XR6 and modding it with an exhaust etc trying to make more power. You probably would have saved yourself money buying an XR6T in the first place or even better yet bought an XT.... each to their own....

If you want it man you should get one, its worth the cost, if your organised and on good coin im sure you can afford to live a life with a nice car and everything else....
illusionzzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post