Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #31
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a google search using E10 E20 fuel report as search terms, in the report E20 was shown to reduce the life of some engine components. I would be happy if there was legislated fuel standards that were enforced with penalties for substandard fuel mixes.Ethanol for me? No because I get less KM's out of my tank and my car was not designed for it no matter what a politician says.
cheers
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #32
BAWagonWheels

Importing methanol substances ain't gonna cost any cheaper. Imports are also controlled by the Australian Dollar and shipping is dependent on fuel so freight would not be cheap.

I thought that ethanol weren't good to the engine long-term as it wears out rubber/plastic components such as valve seals and in some cases gasket seals. Not sure what to think of it but I would prefer to use premium98 fuel.

BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #33
8pAc
RDP #181

A bucket load of methanol would be made in QLD by bundy suger etc. i dont think the ethanol is imported. One of the biggest selling points is it supports local industries...
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #34
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone reads into ethanol and it's bad side too much. Just put fuel in your car and drive the thing.
Old 25-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #35
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree the only bad news is why just 10%. Theres no proof that 10% damages anything and whatever a higher % damages rubbers/seals in fuel pump then they can be made differently and maybe even for the same price or 2 cents extra per part. Only issue will be if the refiners pocket the differece or government takes tax.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

everyone whinges about change

the facts are petrol as we know it is going to be harder to produce and will become much more expensive
we need alternatives, we need to use less of our resources so that more people can use them. We are pretty greedy people want less people so they can get everything they want. cars should be using renewable fuels that are good for the environment.

People complained about Shell Half-Lead 15 or so years ago, when they brought that out, and said it wrecks your car, then they brought out lead replacement then phased it out completely.... this is a good thing! hopefully they will phase out todays fuels, and we have to adjust to new higher standards, even if that means you have to modify your GTs so you are not running 20L per 100 of Optimax anymore.. People still want their high octane fuels unchanged for 50c per litre - it's not gonna happen. Car companies (if they wanted to) could have the technology to make high perfomance cars run very efficiently. People on another thread on this forum said they would not buy a Falcon unless it had a 4L inline 6 - so you would rather a 190kw 4L inline six that costs $150 a week to run, than a 300kw electric motor that costs $40 a week to run (in theory)?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #37
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pAc
Ethanol fuels are a bunch of crap, i have been using optimax extreme 100 ron with 5% blend. Yes the car was smooth but in 53 litres i only traveled 322 km with regular 98 optimax i get 380+. Also the fact it has 10% blend regular should make it 10% cheaper yes. NO!!!!! more like charge it as premium BS. Use more Charge more. I can see oly 2 groups benefiting, the government with there excise and the fuel companies as the sell less charge more. YAY ETHANOL FUELS!!!!!! for the gay.
My experience with the extreme 100 is great, in my XA it runs great,it actually matches avgas in mine and 2 other mates old school V8's, sure it costs more than regular 98,but its cheaper than avgas,as for economy,cant really say, these cars arent the type you count litres/km in,you wouldnt own them if you did.
So going off that,I say bring it on...........
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post