Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Australian consortium wanting to spend up to $750mill to acquire Holden plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Not a car engineer by any stretch, but for many years I have always wondered why modern cars are monocoque chassis? Why couldn't we tear a leaf out of the history books and build a solid modular space frame or ladder chassis with front suspension and IRS bolted in as modules. The frame could utilise modern lightweight materials and be designed to absorb crash impacts. Installing an engine would be a case of fabricating a bunch of brackets and braces to secure to the frame. Then a standard ISO pattern or even a Lego-themed assembly could be used to attach whatever body style you want to this chassis. The frame could stay the same for eternity, with the IRS, front suspension and powertrain components being continually developed, and the wheelbase or track could be adjusted by manufacturing parts of the space frame or ladder chassis in different lengths. The body styles could be assembled overseas and interior options could be built up as modules running a simple CAT5 or even a power/data/earth configuration. With this setup, average joe doesn't need to buy a new car... He could upgrade his car which he has setup and modified with the latest body style or a different one as his needs change. Couldn't this all work or am I just crazy ?
Ok I'll bite. The only real benefit a Body-On-Frame (BOF) configuration has over monocoque or unitary is durability for load carrying applications. There's a reason all the car makers are still persisting with BOF for commercial vehicles - because they handle the abuse a lot better and support the variable needs of a commercial vehicle platform very well.

Passenger cars don't need this, because they're not lugging a tonne of bricks around in the tray or whatever, so monocoque is the way to go. Not only is a monocoque chassis lighter and cheaper to make, it can be designed to be just as flexible and almost as tough as a BOF platform.

Not only do they not need the weight and toughness factor, they also have to comply with rigid safety standards that commercial vehicles do not.

Look at the Falcon for example. Here is a RWD, front engine platform that supports 4 different engine types, plus an AWD SUV. Holden's Zeta platform is another. Supports 2 engines, a LWB, SWB and sort of supports a coupe.

A monocoque platform can be scaled just as you describe with the BOF system, but the product doesnt have to pay a weight penalty or need extra plant at the manufacturing end to build it (read: more dudes on the line or more expensive automation). You can continually evolve the expensive bits like suspension units and engines and leave the rest pretty much static, or whack on a new top hat if you want fresh sheetmetal - sort of what Ford did from BF to FG, just with a lot more work in some areas and less where they should have.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #32
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian consortium wanting to spend up to $750mill to acquire Holden plant

Body on chassis creates real issues with weight/safety/NVH and body stiffness. Really only useful for trucks these days.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #33
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let it go guys, there is NO car of ANY type that could be built in Australia at a volume that would make money.There are NO export markets-camry exports are a legacy that was set up when the dollar was at a profitable level, that ship has sailed.
A consortium of people with money in their pockets chanting "we think we can, we know we can" doesnt suddenly make building cars a goer.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
let it go guys, there is NO car of ANY type that could be built in Australia at a volume that would make money.There are NO export markets-camry exports are a legacy that was set up when the dollar was at a profitable level, that ship has sailed.
A consortium of people with money in their pockets chanting "we think we can, we know we can" doesnt suddenly make building cars a goer.
Let them have a go, if successful great, if not at least they had a go! Time will tell if this is a goer.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
zilo
BANNED

I read halfway down the page..."Family First"

That killed all credibility in the scheme.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #36
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I was hoping Tesla would show interest for building RHD Model S, X and Gen 3 here. Musk has indicated he needs another factory. The conditions are similar here as the existing factory in California.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Body on chassis creates real issues with weight/safety/NVH and body stiffness. Really only useful for trucks these days.
Wrong beyond belief except for Euro/Aus ANCAP rating, but even that can be designed around to a point with envelopment strategies (weak spots designed to fail in differing directions) designed in to the supporting chassis.... The chassis doesn't even have to be a conventional ladder design that a body is bolted to, and in fact is becoming more common to see conventional "chassis rail" (Load Bearing Member/Structure these days....) inserted into and through the body so that not much (if any) is externally visible. Do you have any evidence of the voracity of what you have written?

You might be surprised that a few on the boards have been actively involved in vehicle R+D. I worked at Fishermans Bend under secondment between 1990-1 doing just that for the VR upgrade. You might be surprised that around 3/4 of that car was a change from the preceeding VN although they look similar and share common componentry. I was involved in the IRS module design. My qualifications? I'm a run of the mill motor mechanic that went and did a parallel study Mechanical Engineering degree during the evening at the same time.

Regards,

Dave
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Pipe dream.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #39
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this "consortium" would be better served urinating into the wind....
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taily View Post
Wrong beyond belief except for Euro/Aus ANCAP rating, but even that can be designed around to a point with envelopment strategies (weak spots designed to fail in differing directions) designed in to the supporting chassis.... The chassis doesn't even have to be a conventional ladder design that a body is bolted to, and in fact is becoming more common to see conventional "chassis rail" (Load Bearing Member/Structure these days....) inserted into and through the body so that not much (if any) is externally visible. Do you have any evidence of the voracity of what you have written?

You might be surprised that a few on the boards have been actively involved in vehicle R+D. I worked at Fishermans Bend under secondment between 1990-1 doing just that for the VR upgrade. You might be surprised that around 3/4 of that car was a change from the preceeding VN although they look similar and share common componentry. I was involved in the IRS module design. My qualifications? I'm a run of the mill motor mechanic that went and did a parallel study Mechanical Engineering degree during the evening at the same time.

Regards,

Dave

I think you need to differentiate between unibody/unitary and body on frame/ladder frame mentioned above.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #41
Taily

Quote:
I think you need to differentiate between unibody/unitary and body on frame/ladder frame mentioned above.
I need to do something do I? OK, lets put it this way, I was using very small words to explain a concept to a person who clearly does not understand much about a subject s/he are making rather generalised statements about... It is good to see you can google though...

What I was saying is those lines are blurring again as two diametrically differing designs are melding into one type of design (in fact we are revisiting the semi-monocoque design but in a different way and calling it unitary). Load paths are being bourne by a traditional perimeter framed seperate chassis, however that load bearing structure is being completely encapsulated by a semi monocoque design where the seperately constructed traditional "ladder frame" chassis (the one you seem to have such an issue with) is then built around and incorporated into the body, rather than a body bolted to it. Much of this work can be attributed to composite use which is becoming more common in load bearing areas. So kind of makes your previous post look a bit childish doesn't it?

Many of the exotics are beginning to use it as it provides "unitary" strength beyond current build methods... One thing though, any damage to the load bearing structure the car becomes an instant unrepairable write-off - one of the reasons we are yet to see this construction method used in everyday vehicle manufacture. Be aware it is coming though...

I've been out of engineering for many many years but the concepts are still the same as they were 15 years ago when I walked away from it. It is just that we are seeing a generational change who are revisiting previous ideas and coming up with new catchy names...
Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #42
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taily View Post
I need to do something do I? OK, lets put it this way, I was using very small words to explain a concept to a person who clearly does not understand much about a subject s/he are making rather generalised statements about... It is good to see you can google though...

Thanks mate -- I covered most of this when I studied Mechanical Engineering at UNSW.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I think you'll find the VP was after the VN, and then it was followed by the VR, too.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #44
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Ford, GM and Toyota have all given up on trying to make cars here despite being 3 of the biggest manufacturers in the world and with bucket loads of government donations to help them along. But don't worry -- a bunch of bible bashers will be able to make it work with no govt backing.

And my a-r-s-e plays the banjo
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #45
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I don't know anything about the plants, but wouldn't the ford plant be a better one to buy?

Being smaller? No new business would surely need a facility as big as holdens. Wouldn't it make the fixed running costs so much higher?
Possibly already sold to an ozzie company

Bio-tech cure for Geelong loss: Drug maker in Ford plan

http://geelong.starcommunity.com.au/...-in-ford-plan/
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #46
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
So Ford, GM and Toyota have all given up on trying to make cars here despite being 3 of the biggest manufacturers in the world and with bucket loads of government donations to help them along. But don't worry -- a bunch of bible bashers will be able to make it work with no govt backing.

And my a-r-s-e plays the banjo

You've shown your very talented, can you play stairway to heaven or the song remains the same? At least those bible bashers put their hand up to try & save jobs. Theres more to the demise than just face value.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #47
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
I think you'll find the VP was after the VN, and then it was followed by the VR, too.
Re-read what I wrote. If I meant to say VP I would have said the "previous model" or the "model it replaced".
Old 11-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
I was hoping Tesla would show interest for building RHD Model S, X and Gen 3 here. Musk has indicated he needs another factory. The conditions are similar here as the existing factory in California.

Yep.....and will happen sooner or later.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #49
Vormund

And now he has 3 factories to choose from post 2017.

I do notice Toyota Group has a small stake in Tesla... (0.27%)

edit: Interesting bit about the NUMMI plant from wiki:

Quote:
The NUMMI plant ceased operations on April 1, 2010 ending the Toyota-GM joint venture. California's last automobile manufacturing plant saw its last car, a Corolla, roll off the assembly line.[27]
On May 20, 2010, Tesla Motors and Toyota announced a partnership to work on electric vehicle development, which included Tesla's partial purchase of the former NUMMI site, mainly consisting of the factory building.[8][10] Tesla CEO Elon Musk said the Tesla S sedan will be built at the plant.[28] When Tesla took over the location in 2010, they renamed it the Tesla Factory.

Last edited by Vormund; 11-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post