Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
too busy fining somebody for drifting 3 kays over the limit.
Only in Victoria, remember.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Monkey
XM FALCON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
You never need a roadworthy in qld unless u sell the car registered..
You dont even need a road worthy when you sell a car in WA :
so some cars get driven into the ground and then left on the side of the road until there reported and towed away

I would tell her if i got a chance ive allways liked it when someones told me theres something wrong with my car.
so what if someone can't handle good intentions Losers
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #33
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ring the cops,tell them theres a driver with 3 kids in the car. appears drunk judging by the way the car is weaving across the lines. that will get their att. ok maybe a bit harsh but that car should be defected then. my 2c
Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #34
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've done this once, saw a verada with it's lights off at night. Tooted the horn(next to them at lights) and wound down my window. Two young guys around 25-30. I said in a friendly "matey" sort of voice, "your lights are off bud!" and he smiled, waved, and flicked his lights on.

If it was a mum with some kids, I'd point it out. Perhaps she is just a little un-car-orientated, and didn't realize the tyres needed replacing. As quick as many are to jump the gun and assume she knows about it, I would give her the benefit of the doubt, politely warn her of the problem and then mind my beeswax. If her reaction is polite too, then sweet-no harm done. If not? For example, she tells me where to go, fine, window up, eyes front, and I will hope to god she has an observant friend who she isn't so rude to.

I try to help people. I don't think it's noseyness if you use discretion in the situation. I wouldn't go telling a group of kids in a VN that's far too low that his car could get defected...cos that's just silly. But 4vmans scenario is, in my eyes, a fair situation to quickly say something. Keep it short and sweet and hopefully the driver takes away a useful piece of advice.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Agree with him^ ...tell her like it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I'd just ignore it and go about my business, not my problem.
I would think it's the exact opposite, as there's an accident waiting to happen. It could turn out you, or anyone else, would end up the horsepital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Wouldnt do anything.. Coz 90% of the time in todays shittey world your only going to get abused and told to mind your own business..
Not if you've thought out how you're going to say it. For example, the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I've done this once, saw a verada with it's lights off at night. Tooted the horn(next to them at lights) and wound down my window. Two young guys around 25-30. I said in a friendly "matey" sort of voice, "your lights are off bud!" and he smiled, waved, and flicked his lights on.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #36
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Thanks falc'man, I guess it all comes down to the whole who, what, when, where. Use your head when doing this and it's usually all good. After all you're not trying to steal her car at knife point..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 AM   #37
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
So what did you do 4vman??....
Clearly he would make a thread about it as he must be incapable of making a decision himself? :
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #38
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let her know of the bald tyres and tell em they are dangerous to drive on in the wet or dry. Then report them to the cops because if they were half decent they would get new tyres fitted right away and it would prob take a while for the cops to chase it up anyway, and by that time the problem would be fixed.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #39
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i don't know why cars don't have a dash warning light to let you know the lights have failed. it can't be that hard or expensive, surely.
My '87 Camry I had used to have this.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What would i do??.. I'd try get chattin at the next set of light's.. Who know's she may be a single mum looking to hook up...... :
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #41
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

lot of cars getting around Melbourne with bald tyres, I'd mind my own business, I got abused once telling this fool his rear tyre was flat never bothered again. If it was a P plater no one would bother telling him but because she has kids in the car we all feel differently, she had probably just put her smoke out and about to light another.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i don't know why cars don't have a dash warning light to let you know the lights have failed. it can't be that hard or expensive, surely.
some do...
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Scenario: you're driving along to work, its drizzling with rain and you see a woman with 3 kids in a VE SS, you glance at the rear of the car and notice 2 white bands on the inside and outside of each rear tyre, the car comes to a halt and its clear the rear tyres are so worn out they're down to the bands on each sholder of each rear.... The car also seems to have some existing battle scars that have gone un-repaired....

What would YOU do?
If they dont know how to maintain your car in the basic of levels you shouldnt have one.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #44
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Noticed a lot of VS, VT commodores lately with 2 mag wheels on the front and 2 standard steel rims on the back. So obvious on what they are up to. Back on subject , I would let them know, done it many times and always got a thankyou. Always stop for females who have a flat tyre as well, when there is no male in the car. Near got killed once changing the back drivers side wheel on an XD wagon with a mum and 4 rugrats in the car...............
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #45
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
lot of cars getting around Melbourne with bald tyres, I'd mind my own business, I got abused once telling this fool his rear tyre was flat never bothered again. If it was a P plater no one would bother telling him but because she has kids in the car we all feel differently, she had probably just put her smoke out and about to light another.
Why assume the worst? You dont know anything about the person, yet you dont even give them a first chance.
So you had one bad experience... why let one tool taint your view and stop you from doing something helpful?

It's a pet hate of mine when people assume the most negative option.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #46
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I would advise her that her bogan other half has trashed the tyres during burnouts in the fully sic holdon, and her illegitimate kids are in danger.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #47
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I would think it's the exact opposite, as there's an accident waiting to happen. It could turn out you, or anyone else, would end up the horsepital?
Not quite IMO. Is it my problem the driver breeds and is too naive or whatever to realise the tyres on her car are down to the belting? Not my problem at all...

I agree it'd be my problem if I was involved in an accident caused directly by worn tyres and ended up in hospital.

If it wasn't me involved in the accident, frankly, I don't care. Still not my problem...I'm not her or the other motorist involved...why should I care?

Not having a go at you either mate...Just saying how I feel.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #48
The Snout

As long as it's advice and not a lecture generally people won't be bothered by what you say.

I wouldn't be bothered myself. People driving around on bad tyres either know they are and aren't going to give 2 s**ts about your advice or they know they are and perhaps have money issues about getting it done immediately.

I highly doubt too many people would go out and spring for a set of 4 new tyres immediately because of what advice Johnny come lately has given them on their tyres while stopped at a set of lights. Imo.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #49
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Some really interesting views in this thread

Basically highlights the moral decay of society. Not that I needed this thread to alert me to this fact.

Quite disappointed in the commonly held view "not my problem"
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #50
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Basically highlights the moral decay of society. Not that I needed this thread to alert me to this fact.

Agreed, it really is quite disappointing and troubling isn't it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Im not of that opinion in my last post, but i stand by my comments tahat if you know the car maintanance basics you shouldnt have a car. And i see worn tyres as a basic, i mean how EASY is it to see your tyres are stuffed? The other stuff quoted by the OP is a bit different.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #52
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's not, late 80's Magna's had one.
Also New Merc trucks, Vitos and Sprinters have it. It comes up as a warning light on the dash.

They also have a warning light for worn brake pads :
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #53
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to think I would tell her... a few months ago I saw a Magna station wagon driving along ANZAC Bridge with a 20% inflated rear left tyre. The car was all over the road and the tyre looked like it was going to come off the rim!
At the lights I got out and tapped on the window and told them about it. The woman driving (I'll refrain from mentioning nationality) told me to **** off and the (rather big) bloke in the passenger seat got out of the car and threatened to kill me. No joke. He almost took a swing at me and said if I didn't **** off he would stab me "in the ****ing throat".

You know what, after that experience I let things like that be, praying morons like that don't wipe out an innocent family. With any luck it'll just be them wrapped around a pole.

What annoys me more than anything is how the police have hijacked the defecting system and don't use their powers to get cars like this off the road. Instead they're sent out to score cheap political points by targeting the only part of the motoring population that actually takes pride in maintaining their cars' mechanicals properly.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #54
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Call the police report her. I've always found young parents to be the most self-important people going around and wouldn't waste my breathe.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #55
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Why assume the worst? You dont know anything about the person, yet you dont even give them a first chance.
So you had one bad experience... why let one tool taint your view and stop you from doing something helpful?

It's a pet hate of mine when people assume the most negative option.
Fair call, still would not alter my opinion, not my business.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #56
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
1971 XY falcons had this feature as standard
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #57
LTDHO
The one and only

Is she hot?

:P

If she has no care for the life of her kids, why should I? Selfish as that may sound but she should be resposible and not expect others to bail her out. Tyres are cheap as and she has no excuse.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #58
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I used to think I would tell her... a few months ago I saw a Magna station wagon driving along ANZAC Bridge with a 20% inflated rear left tyre. The car was all over the road and the tyre looked like it was going to come off the rim!
At the lights I got out and tapped on the window and told them about it. The woman driving (I'll refrain from mentioning nationality) told me to **** off and the (rather big) bloke in the passenger seat got out of the car and threatened to kill me. No joke. He almost took a swing at me and said if I didn't **** off he would stab me "in the ****ing throat".
Exactly what would happen in most areas of sydney these days.

Hence why I'd keep my trap shut.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Not quite IMO. Is it my problem the driver breeds and is too naive or whatever to realise the tyres on her car are down to the belting? Not my problem at all...

I agree it'd be my problem if I was involved in an accident caused directly by worn tyres and ended up in hospital.

If it wasn't me involved in the accident, frankly, I don't care. Still not my problem...I'm not her or the other motorist involved...why should I care?

Not having a go at you either mate...Just saying how I feel.
Well, geez.. looks like we're receding back to the stone age.

Why would I care, because I'm a member of a larger society perhaps...? One of the biggest problems we have today is nobody cares about their fellow man. It's not me so it's not my problem. Sad really.

I'd say something if it were me, regardless of whether they took it on board or told me to get stuffed.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #60
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Well, geez.. looks like we're receding back to the stone age.

Why would I care, because I'm a member of a larger society perhaps...? One of the biggest problems we have today is nobody cares about their fellow man. It's not me so it's not my problem. Sad really.

I'd say something if it were me, regardless of whether they took it on board or told me to get stuffed.
agreed. some (most) of the replies in this thread are beyond belief. from assuming this person is aware of it and driving regardless, to wishing she hits a tree and kills herself. other saying they would say something 'only for the kids sake'!!

seriously, how many males, let alone females, drive in vehicles that aren't roadworthy, and only because they just aren't mechanically minded or into cars.

i'm not sure if it was a hypothetical by 4vman, or a real situation but i reckon the replies would shock him too.

its not like you have to tell the person off, or have a crack at them. all it requires is a polite conversation, asking if they are aware of problem.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post