Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-07-2005, 09:55 PM   #31
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Ok, have you tried any drivers for your new video card other then the ones which came with it? And what sort of card was the previous one? We'll try making sure it's not a driver issue now
Yep, went to the nVidia site about 10 days ago and downloaded and installed the latest driver (version 77.72). Previous card was a geForce MX440DD.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #32
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Yep, went to the nVidia site about 10 days ago and downloaded and installed the latest driver (version 77.72). Previous card was a geForce MX440DD.
Ahh, ok, tried the latest version of the drivers for your motherboard chipset?

Oh, and which exact card is your new 6600GT video card? Brand name etc?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #33
FreezeR

I had the whole freezing thing with COD as well... Mine was the video card drivers. The first thing i got told too try is to play it in safe mode, where all the graphics are on the lowest it can go.
Try un-installing and re-installing with all the current patches, i think there is even a hotfix for the freezing thing.. Look to see if your card is on the list that the game accepts ..
Ill try and dig up some of the sites and stuff that i went to, which ended up helping me out to fix the problem.
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #34
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

im telling you it's the graphics card ,i had the same sort of problems ,with delta force and halflife ,remove all traces of the drivers and start from scratch,start with the oldest drivers you can find for your card and test them all ,i did it with mine and it's fixed the problems ,it use to crash after a while while playing ,very annoying so try that and see if it does anything
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

There are four possible causes to your issue...

1. CPU Problem

2. Motherboard Problem

3. RAM Problem

4. All of the above.

If it was doing it with the GeForce 4 MX440 and the GeForce 6600GT, the GFX card is not at fault. Personally, I'd take a look at the RAM first. If you have a frient who can lend you some that you know works right, try it in the PC and see if that helps. If not, well.. I'd get a new CPU/mobo and if that didn't fix it I'd go and buy a Dell.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #36
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

What a PITA!! :

Well if your PC isn't restarting you haven't wasted money on the new PSU. It could be so many things I don't know where to start, driver issues, driver/device conflicts, right down to the copy of the actual game. :(

Is there anyone from the forums near where you live that has any IT skills? If you were in Melb, I'd say bring it over and we'll get the damn thing running properly.
Old 17-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #37
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahh, ok, tried the latest version of the drivers for your motherboard chipset?

Oh, and which exact card is your new 6600GT video card? Brand name etc?
Motherboard is only about 3 months old, but still tried to get the latest drivers. FTP is playing up so may have to try tomorrow.
New card is a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT N66T Series Graphics Accelerator (to be precise!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeR
The first thing i got told too try is to play it in safe mode, where all the graphics are on the lowest it can go.
I've been playing it in nothing but Safe Mode for the last month :o(
Guess I can try the whole uninstall/reinstall thing - God knows I've tried everything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
If you were in Melb, I'd say bring it over and we'll get the damn thing running properly.
Hey, at the rate I'm going, expect a knock on the door any minute! :nutsycuck
Old 17-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #38
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Motherboard is only about 3 months old, but still tried to get the latest drivers. FTP is playing up so may have to try tomorrow.
New card is a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT N66T Series Graphics Accelerator (to be precise!).
Ahh, cool, thanks for that. I know someone with a similar card, I'll ask them how they monitor the tempreture on it and get back to you, that way we'll be able to discover if the card is getting too hot and causnig these problems or not, although I doubt it personally, it never hurts to rule out these things.

Quote:
Guess I can try the whole uninstall/reinstall thing - God knows I've tried everything else!
That was the next thing I was thinking - Windows can do all sorts of weird things sometimes. A fresh install of Windows, with the latest drivers, MIGHT fix the problem, if it's software related (Windows, drivers, etc). If you had a spare hard disk lying around, I'd rip both of the ones you've got in there now out, put in the spare, put the Windows CD in, make sure the BIOS is set to boot first from CD and install Windows from scratch on that spare hard disk, making sure that you close to delete all partitions that are on it (even if there is only one) and then formatting to ensure you're starting from a fresh slate, before continuing to install Windows. Then, install the drivers, install the games, and see if it still does the same thing. If it does, then it's a hardware problem still, if it doesn't, well we'd know fore sure that it's caused by software and you could then backup everything on your normal hard disks and reinstall Windows on them.

Quote:
We'd enjoy the challenge of trying to trace and fix the problem, and it would be so much easier in person.

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 17-07-2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell
Old 18-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #39
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Well if you're in the mood for a drive. LOL!

The Maddestman has a good point about reinstalling windows though, it does clean off all the old crap, so you have a clean slate to work with. It's just time consuming and a pain you can do without.

So much for plug and play huh? _
Old 18-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #40
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, its just a pain; when the motherboard was replaced, I had everything reformatted so obviously had to reinstall all my games, apps etc. This is, as I said, only about 3-4 months ago ing_sm

The search continues...
Old 18-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #41
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Yeah, its just a pain; when the motherboard was replaced, I had everything reformatted so obviously had to reinstall all my games, apps etc. This is, as I said, only about 3-4 months ago ing_sm

The search continues...
And it worked perfectly after that, at least for a while, or has it been doing this since the motherboard was replaced?
Old 18-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #42
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seemed to be ok for a while, but then started playing up about 4 weeks ago
Old 18-07-2005, 01:27 AM   #43
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Long shot, but have you checked for viruses & spyware a full system scan?
Old 18-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #44
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Long shot, but have you checked for viruses & spyware a full system scan?
Yep, I'm running Norton Internet Security, Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpyBot and Ad-Aware
Old 18-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #45
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Yep, I'm running Norton Internet Security, Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpyBot and Ad-Aware
Ok, I'll just cross that one off my list. :P
Old 18-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #46
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Ok, another long shot, I'm not giving up until this damn thing is working, but I'm guessing you want your PC working again ASAP. :P

Turn off Nortons, put the drivers on again, keep Nortons off and don't connect to the net, play the game again and see if it crashes.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #47
The MaDDeSTMaN

Ok, some other things to try:

1. Ensure that there is as little as possible on each power rail. You don't want 2 optical drives on one rail and 2 hdd's a gpu and 3 fans running off the other. In more simple terms, that means make sure that as little as possible is running off each power cable that comes from the PSU. Any chance of a picture of how you've got the power cables wired up, or even just telling us which devices share the same power rails?

2. Download driver cleaner ( http://www.drivercleaner.net ), its not required for newer driver versions but it will clean any traces of old drivers. Try removing all your video card drivers with it, then rebooting and installing the latest ones.

3. Boot into safe mode, go to device manager, show all devices, delete what doesn't exist any more (the old video card is probably still listed there).

4. If using more than one stick of ram try with 1 at a time to eliminate it being a RAM problem. Make sure you are VERY careful here and don't static zap the ram.

6. Re-seat the video card, it may have a bit of grit on one of the voltage AGP pins, causing a lack of voltage through the mobo, this grit could have existed for the old video card as well.

Listed in order of probability, worth a try, none of this will cost you anything asides from time

Good luck!
Old 18-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #48
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Once you've tried all of the above, if that game still doesn't work properly, The Maddestman and I will come over and personally perform some percussive maintenance on your PC! : : :hihi:
Old 18-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #49
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

www.memtest.com

run memtest for at least 20 passes, even leave it on overnight.

if it shows graphical errors etc, the ram is rooted
if it reboots itself do an oww- test by hand on all heatsinks (if it burns, it's too damn hot)

motherboard may have itself too tho? I know you havent changed anything to lead up to it but happens we seem to be forever replacing motherboards at work....
Old 18-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #50
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
All it shows me is a heap of advertising crap - nothing useful. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
motherboard may have itself too tho? I know you havent changed anything to lead up to it but happens we seem to be forever replacing motherboards at work....
As I said earlier, motherboard has been replaced about 3 months ago
Old 18-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #51
The MaDDeSTMaN

Tried any of our suggestions mate?
Old 18-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #53
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tried any of our suggestions mate?
Sorry, had indoor cricket tonight, so just compiling the full list and getting ready to work my way through them all! :
Old 18-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #54
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Correct link for memtest is

www.memtest.org
Ok, forgive my ignorance but which of those files should I download?
Old 18-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #55
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Sorry, had indoor cricket tonight, so just compiling the full list and getting ready to work my way through them all! :
Ahh, fair enough, good luck with it mate, hope one of our suggestions does the trick!

Quote:
Ok, forgive my ignorance but which of those files should I download?
Depends what you plan on using. Memtest needs to be booted from a bootable media of some kind - it doesn't work from within Windows. So you'll need to download a copy which suits which media you are going to use it from.

If you're going to put it on a CD, you'll need to get http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60...+-1.60.iso.zip then unzip it and use a program such as Nero burning ROM to create a bootable CD from the ISO image. If you need help with this, feel free to ask.

If you're going to use a 3.5" Disk, you'll need to get http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60....60.floppy.zip

If you're going to use a USB memory stick, you'll need http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60...+-1.60.exe.zip

The 3.5" Disk option is probably the easiest, however if you don't have a 3.5" drive or some spare 3.5" disks handy, the CD option might be more appropriate.
Old 19-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #56
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you're going to put it on a CD, you'll need to get url]http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memtest86+-1.60.iso.zip[/url] then unzip it and use a program such as Nero burning ROM to create a bootable CD from the ISO image. If you need help with this, feel free to ask.
Hey Maddestman, in Nero do I select "Make data CD" or "Make bootable CD"?
Old 19-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #57
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Hey Maddestman, in Nero do I select "Make data CD" or "Make bootable CD"?
You using the Nero express wizard?
Old 19-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #58
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nero StartSmart - but yeah, the wizard is part of that
Old 19-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #59
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Nero StartSmart - but yeah, the wizard is part of that
In the smartstart, ensure it's got CD selected up the top, select Copy and Backup, then click burn image to disk, then select the .ISO, and off you go
Old 19-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #60
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just ran it and it gave me no errors. Will leave it running overnight and see what it says in the morning