Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #31
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

The XR took a lung full of water - had to tow her home.
Spent all night trying to get the water out of the bores...... so much fun! :(

Got her running again just after 11pm.

Couldn't work out how the water got in.... then I remembered that I've got an F6 lower air box on the car - doh!
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
The XR took a lung full of water - had to tow her home.
Spent all night trying to get the water out of the bores...... so much fun! :(

Got her running again just after 11pm.

Couldn't work out how the water got in.... then I remembered that I've got an F6 lower air box on the car - doh!
haha

lucky to get it going again..

maybe re route it 4x4 offroader syle, 'f6 roofline intake', it'd look hot.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #33
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ me too, my XH ute copped it in the chest.
I was driving up a hill and a wave of water about a meter high was gushing down the hill. beforeI could wack it in reverse the water went over my windscreen and over the top - Felt like I drove into the Swan.
My car stopped suddenly and stupid me I rolled back to level ground but ended up in a puddle which was rising, I wound down my window and the water was about to hit my door seals. then the drain must of cleared and the water dropped in seconds.
So yeh I undid my air filter box and it was FULL of water.
As Ive never had water in my motor i did not know what to do, I just left it there and walked home in the POURING rain and thunder, it felt like 8pm but it was only 4pm due to the thick cloud cover and rain blocking out the sun making the street lights turn on.\
I posted a thread asking for advice on 'Ford 6's' and had some replies whch gave me a good night sleep.
Mobile mechanic expelled the water out for me this morning at a cost of $100.
Runs a bit rough now but ill get it serviced.

My work mates cars had dents all over them from the hail.. I feel so sorry for them. their roofs, bonnets, boots & doors look like the surface of the moon - write offs Id say.

The houses over the road from me which are below road level were flooded, about 3 feet of water in their lounge rooms. one house with 4 female tennants were screaming like gallahs running around not knowing what to do - I had a laugh (is that bad?)

and at K*ngs Par* (I dont want to name the park where I work on the net) was a MESS! a TOTAL MESS! the bush looks like a fire ripped through it as all the leaves have been torn off. Its going to take a good 2 weeks to clean up the mess. chainsaws were going crazy all day and there were dead birds every where from hail stones. C.A.L.M officers were picking them up and taking them away, it was so sad.
and not to mention the landslides near jackobs lad*er. The main concern was the cliff face where the fire burnt every thing down to sand near the brewery. it with held better than expected tho.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Arh mother nature is so unpredictable, sad to see a Force 8 like that, I hope something can be down to fix it but I don't think they will some how.
Some insurance company's don't even cover hail damage , so I hope you people have checked for sure that you are actually covered ?.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #35
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTe
My missus was watching lightning strike the tarmac at perth airport about 10-20m from where her building is, the passengers in the planes that were forced grounded, had to stay onboard until it passed.

I'm sure there are others much worse off too...
Yep, saw the lighting strike the bush area to the east of Rwy 21 as we were taking off. I've never been on a flight that took off, then levelled out almost immediately for about 5nm before it continued to climb. We went some 35nm to the east of the airport before we tracked north to Port Hedland. One wild flight, bloody fantastic : It looked really, really dark towards the city and the coast though.
Old 23-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #36
Stevee
Starter Motor

Default My Sad XR6

I was parked at Charlies hospital when the hail storm hit - I'm hoping HBF will write it off, because I can't see it ever looking like it did before the storm. Can't really see the roof in these pics, but it's just as damaged.

The Ford company is laughing though - I was just about to lodge a claim with them to have the flaking Shockwave Blue paint resprayed at their expence!

Stevee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #37
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevee
I was parked at Charlies hospital when the hail storm hit - I'm hoping HBF will write it off, because I can't see it ever looking like it did before the storm. Can't really see the roof in these pics, but it's just as damaged.

The Ford company is laughing though - I was just about to lodge a claim with them to have the flaking Shockwave Blue paint resprayed at their expence!

Mine's nowhere near as bad as yours, but i can tell ya it was pretty bloody scary driving and getting pelted by golf balls. We were laughing as the first few hit, as they got bigger my heart sank knowing what was happening to my almost new ute, then they got bigger and more of them. By the end we were pulled over in Hillarys huddled over the center console waiting for the windows to come in.

Lodged my claim with SGIO this morning, all covered, but been told no repairs are being authorized and no assessments being made until further notice. Fun. Will be 3 months until i get it fixed. But, at least i'm one of the lucky ones that it's not damaged in any way that keeps me off the road.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #38
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no damage anywhere for me, although i was driving through cannington when it came through, saw a few trees and some power lines come down. couldn't see past the bonnet at one stage the rain was that heavy. by the time i got out to the freeway the rain was pretty light...

i don't know if they're on here, but i was behind what i can only guess was a t3 te50, going by the rego plate, when i was stuck in cannington, tree came down only one car ahead of it...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #39
Stevee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
By the end we were pulled over in Hillarys huddled over the center console waiting for the windows to come in.
Jeez - at least I was indoors when it happened, and didn't have to drive through it! You must have been petrified!

Quote:
no repairs are being authorized and no assessments being made until further notice. Fun. Will be 3 months until i get it fixed.
I guess I have to look forward to as well. A worry, but not surprising considering the amount of damage throughout W.A.

Quote:
But, at least i'm one of the lucky ones that it's not damaged in any way that keeps me off the road.
Me too. I didn't lose any windows, so despite the damage, I was able to drive home in comfort last night (unlike the countless poor buggers I saw on the driving on the freeway with no back windows.
Old 23-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #40
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZATbPdujWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjYyP191U4&NR=1
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #41
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Note For those in Perth who, like me, lost power for more than 12 hours you can claim $80 back from Western Power see http://www.westernpower.com.au/mainC...entScheme.html

Western Power has also said as it's been declared a Natural Disaster by the State Government they will outside of its normal policy where it only compensates where it is negilent also consider recompensing for actual losses. See http://www.westernpower.com.au/mainC...ionDamage.html
Old 23-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #42
Stevee
Starter Motor

Thanks for those links - that first one just about sums it up! Hopefully we won't see another one like that for a good while.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

i only lost power for 6 hours :o( but WOW $80 pfffttt goes a long way to those who just did a big food shopping eh?

BTW stevee ive noticed you have made 3-4 posts on this page alone yet you posts count is still on 0? weird.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #44
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yeh but given it's an act of God rather than Western Power's fault $80 no questions asked seems reasonabley generous.
Old 24-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #45
Stevee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
BTW stevee ive noticed you have made 3-4 posts on this page alone yet you posts count is still on 0? weird.
Yeah, I noticed that too! Haven't posted for a while, so maybe that's it.

Moderator?
Old 24-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #46
dikfeld

my car is identical to yours stevee. Was parked at charlies aswell. Was in a lecture and got told to evactuate, got a 03 XR8 which will surely be written off. Its only insured for like 15600 and they surely wont be able to fix it for under that, windscreen and both tail lights smashed aswell but somehow the back window is intact :S
dikfeld is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #47
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Yeh but given it's an act of God rather than Western Power's fault $80 no questions asked seems reasonabley generous.
Looked on their website and it says minimum 12 hours power outage and they will check with their records that you infact had no power for 12 hours. Dont think you will get "no questions"
Old 24-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #48
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

I knocked of early to get home to check on my house, all pretty good rear yard and shed was flooded storm drains had got blocked, but got that soted pretty quicklu before it flooded the house. However Missus was at work in balcatta, brand new Mazda 2 only 2 monthes only got about 33 dents (not as bad as the above pics but still ****ed) bonnet, turret, front fender, rear quarter panels, boot. so luckey she work for a panel beater hopefully get its sorted quickly and easily.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #49
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well here in Albany we have had a lightning storm for the past 7hrs and there is no end in sight. My windows have basically been shaking non stop for 5hrs it is so close to us. Last big flash knocked out power, my laptop won't last much longer and I am running low on credit for the internet dongle thing. I am greatfull I am on holidays as I can never sleep with this weather given what happened last time we had a real storm.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #50
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
Yep, saw the lighting strike the bush area to the east of Rwy 21 as we were taking off. I've never been on a flight that took off, then levelled out almost immediately for about 5nm before it continued to climb. We went some 35nm to the east of the airport before we tracked north to Port Hedland. One wild flight, bloody fantastic : It looked really, really dark towards the city and the coast though.
Well that would explain why on Monday night why it seemed like 50,000 planes were buzzing my house for half the night :

We finally got our power back on last night around midnight. Sure was creepy going for a walk last night around our neighbourhood seeing everything in total darkness, and voices and candles flickering here and there. I said to the Mrs that if the power wasn't back up by this morning, I was going to buy a generator to get the freezer going again.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #51
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
I reckon that is the biggest 'COP OUT' of an excuse from insurance companies... act of god... what rubbish...

Get them to take it to court and prove that in fact was an act of god...
Old 24-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #52
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a look @ a 40th Anniversary GT @ Mc Inerney's, lot's of BIG dents . Not a pretty sight at all. :
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It's auction time.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 24-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #54
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I'm so thankful I decided to stop by a computer shop after work to buy a replacement LCD monitor!

Parked the car undercover and walked inside with nothing but some dreary clouds brewing, stepped out to walk back to my car and I could see the "golf ball sized" hail landing just metres from me !!

Rushed to my car got inside and watched the most intense hail storm I've ever seen in my life !!...it was truly a sight to behold.

Moments later, a shocked motorist had taken shelter from the storm behind my car with some pretty heavy hail damage on their bonnet, the driver was nearly in tears.

So, after about 20min of waiting for the hail and rain to subside, I headed home but the adventure was just starting!

As I drove down Scarbourough beach rd, I could see the salesman at a Merc dealership wiping down cars and freaking out after such a sudden and shocking downpour. The next day, most of the brand new Mercs where no longer there!

Driving down West Coast dr towards Hillarys, I could see the spectacular lightning all over the sky. Some parts of the road where over a foot under water so I had to proceed slowly, a few cars had become trapped after underestimating how deep the water was.

At one point, visibility had dropped to just a few metres in front of me and I managed to dodge a rather large plastic barrel being hurled around by the ferocious winds!

Checked out my ride when I finally got home and no damage except for a foglight which is now partially filled with water.

But in all seriousness, I feel for the others who got caught up in the storm.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #55
Stevee
Starter Motor

I'm off to the HBF temporary assessment centre near the airport tomorrow morning - I'm really hoping now that the assessor will right the car off. If they insist on fixing it, it will take months and months, and I'll never really feel the same about the car again.

Every one of my panels is damaged, including the roof. Even the external rubber window fittings are dented!

I hope I'm not counting my chickens before my eggs hatch, but I've already been down to Nuford and had a drooling gander.

Old 26-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #56
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevee
I'm off to the HBF temporary assessment centre near the airport tomorrow morning - I'm really hoping now that the assessor will right the car off. If they insist on fixing it, it will take months and months, and I'll never really feel the same about the car again.

Every one of my panels is damaged, including the roof. Even the external rubber window fittings are dented!

I hope I'm not counting my chickens before my eggs hatch, but I've already been down to Nuford and had a drooling gander.
unless your car is insured for less than 10-15 thousand i wouldn't count on a write off.
Old 29-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #57
Stevee
Starter Motor

Default Not Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
unless your car is insured for less than 10-15 thousand i wouldn't count on a write off.
Yep, spot on. I waited 3 hours at the HBF temp assessment area on Saturday morning, just to be told I need to get a quote.

Any suggestions where I should go? I was thinking Roscos Panel And Paint in Wangara.
Old 29-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #58
xy500
Constant annoyance

I guess try find somewhere you trust, every panel shop I know of in Perth is swamped at the moment. You'll likely have to wait a while - everyone else is. I laughed when I heard about blokes dropping off their cars for a quote and then saying "I guess I'll pick it up next week?" I've never even heard of panel beaters being that quick normally!
Old 29-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #59
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
I guess try find somewhere you trust, every panel shop I know of in Perth is swamped at the moment. You'll likely have to wait a while - everyone else is. I laughed when I heard about blokes dropping off their cars for a quote and then saying "I guess I'll pick it up next week?" I've never even heard of panel beaters being that quick normally!
Yeah good point, any spraypainters, panel beaters, brickies or window/tile installers, looking for a job? The wild west beckons you!!! :
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #60
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
You'll likely have to wait a while
I see what you did there.