Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Bloody P-Plater, ruining it for everybody...oh wait.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #32
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

The Calder is set to 80km/h because there is no room for emergency lanes in the sections that are now three lanes. Instead of spending some coin and adding an actual lane instead of making three lanes from two, the boffins lowered the speed limit.

That fact aside, 197 in a formerly 100km/h zone is just a bit silly.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Speeding is speeding no matter what the car! Some people are just plain fools. It is people like this that make it bad for the rest of us that do the right thing and take our cars out on the track when we need a rush of speed.

This guy was not only endangering himself but other road users. Impounding his car for 48hrs?? I hope he gets his car crushed.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
You need to compare apples with apples.

That much over the speed limit is obviously a very real danger to other people. The things you have mentioned are not so much.

It's like trying to justify a murder by saying "but I bet you blokes have probably flattended someone before!"
Ok, well lets compare apples with apples.......the penalties applied.

1) Doing 200 in a 100 zone. Loss of license (which he does not have), a fine of maybe $1000 and confiscating his car for 2 days.

2) Removing his catalytic converter (emissions). $10,000 fine and de-registration and probable confiscation of car.

3) Forgetting to pay his rego for a couple of days. Loss of license, $1000 fine and confiscation of car for period.

4) ACTUALLY hurting someone seriously (but not with a car) $100 fine, 2 year good behavior bond.

5) Failing to pay tax. $squillions fine, custodial sentence, confiscation of all assets (including any cars) and bankruptcy.

The media does not need to beat anything up all it takes is the "He is naughty but I am good mummy" crowd to bleat about how terrible this all is and how he should be shot against a wall because he got caught doing something and you never do anything wrong EVER.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #35
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

1) Doing 200 in a 100 zone. Loss of license (which he does not have), a fine of maybe $1000 and confiscating his car for 2 days.

2) Removing his catalytic converter (emissions). $10,000 fine and de-registration and probable confiscation of car.

3) Forgetting to pay his rego for a couple of days. Loss of license, $1000 fine and confiscation of car for period.

4) ACTUALLY hurting someone seriously (but not with a car) $100 fine, 2 year good behavior bond.

5) Failing to pay tax. $squillions fine, custodial sentence, confiscation of all assets (including any cars) and bankruptcy.

The media does not need to beat anything up all it takes is the "He is naughty but I am good mummy" crowd to bleat about how terrible this all is and how he should be shot against a wall because he got caught doing something and you never do anything wrong EVER.....
You raise some very good points flappist. Here's some rep for ya (not that you need more lol).
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Hell I can understand giving the car a bit of a squirt, we've all done it before (which is why I hate the do-gooder crowd condemning everyone who puts a foot out of line).. but doing it while suspended is pure foolishness!

But atleast he decides to be a fool on the highway, not in a residential area.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #37
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
There's a major difference between driving stupid (fast, sideways ect...) and doing so while you're not even allowed to drive.
And that is???
Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:

Taking the penalty factor out of it,(definitely in points 4 and 5, and at best I would suggest, a tenuous connection with point 3),is the guy then being absolved of wrong doing because, apparently, we've all been "guilty" at some stage??
Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Taking the penalty factor out of it,(definitely in points 4 and 5, and at best I would suggest, a tenuous connection with point 3),is the guy then being absolved of wrong doing because, apparently, we've all been "guilty" at some stage??
Why am I not surprised that you don't get it?

No he should not be absolved and yes he should be penalised.

The point I am making is that all of the (mostly hypocritical) wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum about how terrible it all is and villifying him as the anti-christ and the source of all evil is the ammunition used by the do-gooders to promote their agenda of banning ALL performance cars outright.

Just read scrooby's drivel to get a glimpse into his and others' ideas of the future of driving and motor vehicles in Australia.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #40
AussieAV

There also appears to be a link between people willing to flaunt the law and drive unlicensed, and fatal road crashes. Seems that the same "I don't care" attitude they apply to obeying the law, they also apply to driving safely.

The below article states that unlicensed drivers are involved in 10% of fatal accidents nationwide. Seems that making sure these people are kept off the road would go a long way to making the roads safer for all of us.

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/TOPICSROADS...seDrivers.aspx
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least this guy was safer than my work's driver this year in Malaysia, got up to an indicated 234kmh in a Golf GTI to the airport in an 80 zone in the morning through traffic. This guy is a saint by camparison!

And you can be suspended for forgetting your rego payment.

I think we get a bit caught up with the numbers sometimes, late at night, highway, not much cars around, he gunned it and was caught. He rolled the dice and lost.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #42
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

The point I am making is that all of the (mostly hypocritical) wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum about how terrible it all is and villifying him as the anti-christ and the source of all evil is the ammunition used by the do-gooders to promote their agenda of banning ALL performance cars outright.

Just read scrooby's drivel to get a glimpse into his and others' ideas of the future of driving and motor vehicles in Australia.
This outrageous act of willful lunacy will bring about an uprising and a call for action from right minded people. These Honda Accords should be ban from our roads for ever!!

Surely this will be a great out come.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

I don't get it either? Why cannot I wail and gnash my teeth as this type of stupidity IS what gives the ammunition to the do-gooders to promote their agenda of banning ALL performance cars outright.

Yes I have had some speeding fines over the years ...... all by camera and all very very minimal but I can still call this bloke an absolute twit and will vilify him till the cows come home. Of course this is stupidity to the extreme and will always give the Scrooby's of Aust ammunition.

Because I have broken the law to what would be described as a small indiscretion then this eliminates mine (and those in a similar positions) opinion on these matters?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:

Just for the record, I did get it, and why am not surprised that it should be you who seems to be casting aspersions on those on here who think that the guy actually did something wrong.(PS,I don't think he has been perched so lofty as the Antichrist either)

Last edited by zdcol71; 01-09-2010 at 05:23 PM.
zdcol71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Well bugger me, never knew a Honda Accord was capable of accelerating to those speeds on a relatively short stretch of road
Don't laugh, out of the Accords the V6 Luxury is actually quite good.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
banning ALL performance cars outright.
I look forward to this day, so I can point and laugh, and welcome you all to the club.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #47
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

traveling at that speed as stupid and inexcusable as it is, putting the public at risk and all that, but lets get some perspective :

1. the guy shouldn't have been driving at all as he has lost his licence for whatever reason.

2. I have seen drivers traveling at a legal speed but the way in which they are controlling the car is downright dangerous and putting other road users at risk.

We need to better educate every single driver on the roads, and at the very least this guy would have known the risks of that speed and eased off the throttle through fear of his or someone elses' safety and as a result maybe got pinged doing 120 or so, traveling at that speed smacks of ignorance to me, train the ignorant to make us all safer.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #48
bingoTE50
Steve

Was he stuck in third ...lol .......At the end of the day he was in the wrong , via the law.
Was his actions just,I have no idea. I would suggest that he will get caught again.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #49
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Not justifying anything, what he did was wrong, but in perspective at that time/place/speed he would have been most likely endangering his own life. If that speed was down a suburban street with intersections, etc, he should've been hung, drawn and quartered.
So he was maybe risking only his own life. Assuming that is accurate (and he's on a public road so its not), it doesn't make it ok. When he does make a mistake and kills himself, his family and friends won't care that he didn't take anyone with him.
Its incredibly ignorant to think this kind of behaviour is fine as long as he is only risking his own life. He's risking hurting his family too.

And yes, before anyone says it, i know that sounds like a lame rta ad
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #50
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately you cant train the stupid people out there... no matter how many laws they throw at the roads.

However if the penalties were a bit more then a slap on the wrist, it may dawn on some.
Even if its just 2days in jail playing with bubba could be a real wake up call.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Actions have consequences.
People that do stupid things on the road give the extremists ammunition to ruin driving for the rest of us.
It is best that these people take their medicine like adults and then keep a low profile in future.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geeze Louise, is half of the Victorian Cabinet on this forum. The penalties are incredibly harsh, cars impounded/crushed, people losing their license which could have devasting income consequences, jail time, massive fines and the stress and costs of defending various charges with minimum mandatory sentences with no chances of leniancy. This guy is also getting charged with endangering life which has long-term consequences for employment and international travel.

It is almost getting beyond a joke. Im not condoning going 197kmh on a highway but I can think of a hell of a lot of worse things than some guy giving it to his Accord late at night on some deserted highway.

I think this frenzy on piling on people's stupid mistakes with self righteousness and piousy is getting old... fast (pardon the pun).
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #53
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

We need more speed cameras.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #54
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Geeze Louise, is half of the Victorian Cabinet on this forum.
Maybe....

I really need to change my user name.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #55
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Maybe....

I really need to change my user name.

Haha
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #56
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
I can think of a hell of a lot of worse things than some guy giving it to his Accord late at night on some deserted highway.
Absolutely, many things happening that can have long term consequences on self and others and hardly anything done to legislate or enforce against.. vandalism, bullying/suicide, child abuse, debauchery among teens causing unwanted pregnancies, disgusting media/music infiltrating our youth, etc.

All of these things cost money to do something about.. perhaps they are not 'financially viable' to the authorities or politicians.. unlike 'road safety'. The day they scrap all fines and run purely on a demerit point system and introduce mandatory jail time for those who can be proven to have endangered life at the time of offence (which may have been the case of this individual who more than doubled the speed limit while in the presence of any nearby motorist), is the day I'll believe that they're doing anything about road safety.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #57
zdcol71
zdcol71

Pose a little test. For all who think that those here who don't quite condone this guys behaviour are "self righteous, pious, teeth gnashing, wailing, antichrist believers,"..... bring the topic up around the water cooler tomorrow morning when you get to work, (where not everyone is a tad bit interested in the difference between a falcon and a commodore, or the identity of a STIG)
"Hey, d'ya hear about that guy yesterday doin 197k in a 80k zone ." My bet is, the majority,(brain dead manipulated morons that we are) are going to be pretty astonished to hear that anyone would think "Hey, it's not that bad,we've all done something a little naughty before "
Doesn't quite matter that it was a Honda, late at night, suspended licence, or a speed that was,( pre those horrible commies), quite legal in NT;(or any other mitigating circumstance); I think you will find that the average Joe will find this more than a little disconcerting....The real world doesn't particularly want people driving around disregarding an otherwise fairly well accepted societal norm,even though/just because some people on a motoring forum think that there maybe some extenuating circumstances behind this behaviour.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
At least this guy was safer than my work's driver this year in Malaysia, got up to an indicated 234kmh in a Golf GTI to the airport in an 80 zone in the morning through traffic. This guy is a saint by camparison!
Yeah but over there you just pay them off.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #59
jaysway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
But the gov't wont spend a cent.....
how true, unless its on more speed cameras of course
jaysway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #60
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
and
Secondly, there are intersections all along that road that make it seemingly dangerous at 100kph, but not at 80.
Intersections are deadly, what is needed are grade separated interchanges.

Quote:
Thirdly, its not the intersections that make it dangerous,
Our stats, indeed those of every nation tell us intersections; unsignalised and signalised are inherently 'dangerous'. . . . .

Quote:
its the many drivers who pull out from either side roads
Not a freeway then. . . .

Quote:
or U-turn accessways without any regard for the traffic travelling along the highway. They just pull out regardless of whats coming.
THIS is a key 'design' aspect as to why our freeways will remain at 110km/h. However, NSW RTA on its F3 are installing "gatelock" U-Turn bay treatments to restrict idiots doing U-tuns on freeways! Example of crash type that the new treatments seek to prevent:-
http://www.smh.com.au/national/freew...0109-lzi5.html

Regards.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post