Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #31
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was probably before you were out of nappies, but not too long ago Series 6 RX7s smashed 911 and M3s at the bathurst 12hour, three years in a row (and once when the 12hour was at Eastern Creek)
And back then the rules were pretty strict in terms of mods, just roll cage, exhaust, tyres, brake pads and shocks

So much for 5h!tty engine
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #32
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
2003 - Mazda "2.6L" RENESIS RX-8 (Funny, since Mazda itself states 1308cc)
Comments like this suggest you dont truly understand how a rotary engine is placed in a basket of reciprical piston engines. There's more to such matters than meets the eye steffo.

Yeah... put a big KW rotary in in the same category as a 1.3L suzuki motor making 60kw. Excellent plan.

The ONLY thing that's ever been the downfall of the rotary is the method used to seal the apex of the rotor against the rotor housing. If they'd had this sorted back in the 70's you'd probably see a lot more ****el engine powered cars on the road today.

The engines are brilliant by design. 66% fewer moving parts than a piston engine. An engine doesnt need torque if its put in the right car with appropriate gearing. Their adaptation to alternative fuels has proven to be very successful - the dynamic nature of the combustion chamber (ie. the chamber essentailly moves around the engine) has lent itself to the use of hyrdogen fuel.

The apex seal hasnt been a huge problem since the mid/late 80s and the new Renesis motors with the multi side porting have reached a generally accepted level of reliability.

Let's not forget the hundreds of thousands of 6 cylinder engine powered vehicles released by FoMoCo aust which are prone to destroying heads...

But hey - like you said, you beleive what you like and i'll do the same. You're certainly not alone in your dislike of the ****el engines.

Just dont get too cocky next time you pull up next to the grandma-spec capella down at the drags lol.
Old 22-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #33
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It was probably before you were out of nappies, but not too long ago Series 6 RX7s smashed 911 and M3s at the bathurst 12hour, three years in a row (and once when the 12hour was at Eastern Creek)
And back then the rules were pretty strict in terms of mods, just roll cage, exhaust, tyres, brake pads and shocks

Let's not forget the 787b with the 2600cc engine (that's real 2600cc steffo lol). Won Le Mans on its debut. The rotary engine was then banned completely. Rotaries are similarly prohibited from FIA rules.

Old 22-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #34
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An aunt of mine has an RX-8, didn't know they were fuel thirsty. But I like this thread, it's kind of educating seeing both sides of the equation on rotary engines. No doubt it'll help me later on down the track as I'm thinking about getting one.
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #35
crusher
Dirty ute club member

They look good and all but Id rather have an earlier series RX-7 with a 350 chev (The ford counter part is alot harder to bolt in) then go circuit/drag racing. mmmm.

The only thing I dont like about the RX-8's are the stock rims. Id definately go for some after market ones.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Flappist I agree a very nice 2seater which I would have in my garage no worries at all.
Re Bathurst,I was devastated when Moff went to drive the Styvestant RX7 but I idolised him so much I followed my fearless leader to another camp !
He had the thing screaming around that track and scared the crap out of the 8's,nearly won it I might add ! He lost pulling power to the 8's climbing the mount.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
they actually double the engine capacity of a rotor to classify it as it does 2 "fireings"(for lack of a better word) compared to the piston engines 1 "fireing" per rotation

But it's actually 654cc (from memory) twin rotor ... hence making it a 1.3L

The 787B is a quad rotor (same capacity per rotor as mentioned above).
Not sure if it was turbocharged or not ... i really haven't read up on it though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #38
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The 787B is a quad rotor (same capacity per rotor as mentioned above).
Not sure if it was turbocharged or not ... i really haven't read up on it though.
It's a naturally aspirated motor with variable intake gemoetry (i.e. ECU controlled runner length... same concept as what you earthlings refer to as a 6 cylinder EF/EL motor!

700bhp

On the displacement issue... each rotor has a leading and a trailing spark plug, they both fire on the same cycle... and the rotor is still technically a 4 stroke engine... the trailing plug is more of a clean-up ignition which forms part of the power stroke...
Old 22-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

Those engines were turbocharged and made plenty of power and torque, something the naturally aspirated RX8 doesn't. Peak torque is less than most 2 litre 4's make. Give it a turbo and then it will have the grunt the chassis deserves.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #40
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes. And that has what relevance to this conversation?
It was a statement, maybe others don't know. :
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6
My wife owns one - need I say more??

IMO a girls car, sorry. Well built, a hoot to drive around any corner, but my 6'4-6'5 body does not fit real well and it sucks fuel like a V8. She gets lots of attention (apparently) from the boys but she is 3 weeks away from our first child so her brand new RX8 must go, only 7000kms....... she is not happy about it.

Being replaced by a July build Turbo Territory Ghia. What a stark contrast!
My 19 year old female secretary drives a FPV, it that a girl's car too?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #42
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Can't say I've been in or driven an RX-8, no. But I never said the car itself was bad, I just personally don't like rotary engines. I love the rest of the car, it looks awesome, I just don't like the piece of technology (or lack thereof?) powering it.

In my opinion, if they stuck the Mazda 6 MPS' 2.3 turbo 190kW 380Nm inline-four in the RX-8... they would have the absolute best car in its price-point and category. And I'd bet it would be faster then the less powerful n/a 13B car too, and use less petrol.
IDIOT!!! out:

For a start the renesis engine puts out 206 KW......

Quote:
2003 - Mazda "2.6L" RENESIS RX-8 (Funny, since Mazda itself states 1308cc)
The swept volume of a rotary is effectively 2.6l (given evidence stated by others here) but if you bothered to read much about them you would know this........
Old 22-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
IDIOT!!! out:

For a start the renesis engine puts out 206 KW......

The swept volume of a rotary is effectively 2.6l (given evidence stated by others here) but if you bothered to read much about them you would know this........
Actually...

Mazda RX-8 Manual 13B-RENESIS

1308cc Twin-Rotor
177kW @ 8200rpm
211Nm @ 5500rpm

LINK HERE

Mazda RX-8 Automatic 13B-RENESIS

1308cc Twin-Rotor
141kW @ 7000rpm
220Nm @ 5000rpm

LINK HERE

Now... the best RX-7 imported here by Mazda from the factory... the 1995 RX-7 SP had the following...

13B-REW 1308cc Twin-Rotor Twin-Turbo
204kW @ 6500rpm
357Nm @ 4600rpm

LINK HERE

Was it necessary to call me an idiot? NO! Especially after "correcting," me with the wrong information.

As for calling it a 1.3, Mazda does, so I've been doing it. And yes, I know all about 13B's being calculated as 2.6 litres swept volume, before it was mentioned in this thread... but pointing out that the manufacturer says it's a 1.3 can't hurt. :Reverend:

I don't like Rotary engines. Can we move on, instead of trying to insult and/or convert me? It's just an opinion...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #44
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I've always loved the rotary engine. Especially in turbo form. Little bit thirsty if you flog it but around the big 6-pot mark if you don't.
The best I've driven is a series 5. Great engine character. Although I've driven a worked series 4 6-port engine (in a series 1) and that was great, plenty of mid-range torque (nothing down low though.) Did 150km's to the tank with it's 48mm ida's. It sounded like a giant mosquito. 300 ponies at the wheels for under $5000 including purchase of car.

Hugely reliable if treated correctly (warm-up, cool-down, petrolium-based oil etc.) Very cheap to get big power figures from.

I've always wanted to slap a 12a onto a go-kart. Chain driven solid axel with torque converter.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #45
kooky
WRX terrorist

Steffo- my IDIOT remark was at your desciption of the rotary having a 'lack of technology', only an idiot would make such an unsubstanciated claim simply because YOU don't like it.

On the other hand MY idiot remark was that I quoted the JDM output of 206kW