Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #31
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't you have to exceed the speed limit to speed?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #32
whiskieboy

I do not know a single person that doesn't speed every time they drive a car. Even my 81yo grandmother does.[/QUOTE]

I certainly DONT !!! I make a point of sticking to the speed limit the main reason being I point blank refuse to give this goverment any more of my hard earned cash....
Just to let you know I've been driving for 32yrs and am yet to have any accidents, although I've been unlucky enough to have been a passenger too many times, and have broken bones to remind me.
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i speed every trip in a car i'd say. am i stupid because of this? i think not.

i can post pictures of every road i drive on to work and their speed limits and you can see for yourself what i am on about. a dead straight road, dual carriagway, probably 4 kms long, speed limit 80. no intersections on this road, but you can bet your bottom dollar that there is one speed camera on it a week. turn off that street onto a single lane each way road, with large trees lining each side of the road AND DRIVEWAYS, speed limit 90.

i drive at what i see as a safe limit to the conditions. whether that be the speed limit or not, i dont care. that is why i have a radar detector (they are legal here)
Old 25-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #34
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
It wouldn't matter what sort of ads were on TV. EVERYONE will still speed and young blokes will still do burnouts etc etc. They can put whatever ads they like on but it wont make any difference.

I do not know a single person that doesn't speed every time they drive a car. Even my 81yo grandmother does.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #35
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

classic doc!!
Old 25-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #36
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

I agree that the ad does not depict "speeding" (Do not get my started on the governments loose definition of "speeding"). It is more of a hoon ad and will have minimal impact.

It was like the last ad with the young bloke driving the AU Falcon Ute to a Powder figure song. The bigger problem in rural areas is alcohol and lack of seat belts. When Alcohol is involved, everything else (including speeding) is secondary.

Why are so many younger drivers dying today - what makes it dofferent to when i was 18 or any of us here. Is it the different cars they get now - my first car was an XF with 97kw, now they can pick up cheap AU and VNs with fuel injection and heaps more power? But power alone does not kill - Even a basic old Laser can reach 120km/h in a 60 zone.

They keep bringing in draconian laws, spend big $$ on ads yet where the hell is the education? I started driving on farms before I was 16. Wheni was 16 i would stay home all weekend for the chance to go for even the shortest of drives. I used to drive heaps of cars on my Ls, Falcons, 4WDs, manuals, autos, wagons, bombs of cars..It was all about gaining experience. Despite the 80km.h limit, Dad would take me on the Freeway without L plates and let me get to 100km/h - try getting an instructor to do that!

Fact is, I love driving and treat it as a privilege - I love my Ute and certainly know when and how to have fun in it. Id like to see more money spent on really teaching people ow to drive, reading traffic, defensive skills...and for gods sake, start early, especially with boys.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #37
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexr6tasy
Does this mean people who know they have big diccks can drive twice as fast?
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #38
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

saw the ad last nite my missus thought it was a ford ad when she seen the XR smoke it up.. was a pretty good smoke show. dont think it will make people slow down, i got pulled up this mornin by a cop on a bike after i took off from a set of lights, didnt break any laws by speeding or spinning the tyres so he couldnt get me for anything, and he knew that, its just that my exhaust noise got his attention.
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #39
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

So what about female drivers that speed? Do I still give em the pinky or do I cup my hands together and make a giant circle...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #40
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
So what about female drivers that speed? Do I still give em the pinky or do I cup my hands together and make a giant circle...
haha, lol
nar chicks dont speed...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #41
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man how dumped was that VL..wonder if it was an XR6T or just an Xr6...
its a cool add.. but what a ****in waste of money.. its a pity none of us are incharge of the RTA etc.. we do need better eductation, stricter license tests and compulsory advanced driver training as barely any young drivers know how to get a car back into control after they have lost it...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #42
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
So what you are saying is no matter what kids are still going to speed and ignore the law ? or do you think the ad can be improved ? if so how.
I agree with Citric, there is nothing you can do to slow people down.
There will always be hoons, I dont care how many police, camera's, ad's, news reports or whatever these revenue raising fools come up with it wont slow people down.

Is there a fix? to put it simply NO.
Fines, loss of licence, impounded cars, its all just an inconvienience, its not going to stop people.

Take it to the track? YEAH works for about 4hrs, go to WSID and then when that finishes go for a drive down to Penrith Krispey Kremes.. you see more drag races on the great western highway than what you do at the drag strip.

Driving Courses? Woo hoo lets make these 'invincible' kids think they are even more invincible, they finish the course, think they are expert drivers and still hoon on the street because they have a certificate that states they can drive.

Do I have a suggestion? Nope.. because nothing will work. People will keep on dying on our roads from hooning and nothing will stop it, its the blunt, sad and honest truth.

Just quietly, its not just P platers either, go for a drive with a truckie or a towie.. then you can see what its really like. P platers just get more media attention.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #43
LukeyST
ST fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
this might be the right idea.
hero to zero in 1/2 a second.
if it catches on like "not happy jan"
I agree with this, and i believe that this is what the creators of this ad are aiming for. If it does indeed catch on it may well do a good job, however, as many have already said, it may just add fuel to this never ending fire.

LukeyEL
Old 25-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #44
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Simple solution MAKE IT COMPULSORY TO GET A MOTO LICENCE BEFORE U GET UR CAR LICENCE.

Probly only reason im still alive cos i got my bike liscence n learnt to keep da *** away from everyone else on da road and dat crashing hurts.

Seriously chiks love cars so wtf?

And why did the Dunnydoor passenger at the end no the drivers **** size?

Nufin suss!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #45
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
I agree with Citric, there is nothing you can do to slow people down.
There will always be hoons, I dont care how many police, camera's, ad's, news reports or whatever these revenue raising fools come up with it wont slow people down.

Is there a fix? to put it simply NO.
Fines, loss of licence, impounded cars, its all just an inconvienience, its not going to stop people.

Take it to the track? YEAH works for about 4hrs, go to WSID and then when that finishes go for a drive down to Penrith Krispey Kremes.. you see more drag races on the great western highway than what you do at the drag strip.

Driving Courses? Woo hoo lets make these 'invincible' kids think they are even more invincible, they finish the course, think they are expert drivers and still hoon on the street because they have a certificate that states they can drive.

Do I have a suggestion? Nope.. because nothing will work. People will keep on dying on our roads from hooning and nothing will stop it, its the blunt, sad and honest truth.

Just quietly, its not just P platers either, go for a drive with a truckie or a towie.. then you can see what its really like. P platers just get more media attention.
So your suggestion is to just give up? :

I did a driver training course. It taught me to slow down. Sure, the moron in the 180sx with bald tyres might not have learnt anything, but a few of us did. So if driver training courses, adds on tv, whatever you do, stops even ONE person from being a tool on the road, it's worth it. I accept that it will never eradicate the problem, but you can mitigate the risks.

Who knows, instead of learning and slowing down, that one person may have hit the car your family was travelling in.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #46
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing

I did a driver training course. It taught me to slow down. Sure, the moron in the 180sx with bald tyres might not have learnt anything, but a few of us did. So if driver training courses, adds on tv, whatever you do, stops even ONE person from being a tool on the road, it's worth it. I accept that it will never eradicate the problem, but you can mitigate the risks.

Who knows, instead of learning and slowing down, that one person may have hit the car your family was travelling in.
Ok so you stop one idiot on the road it may be worth it, what about the new age idiots that just got their red P's..
Theres more idiots hitting the roads every week.. you stop one, but theres 5 new ones.. stop another one, theres another 5 new ones.
What I was getting at is that you cant eradicate the problem, Im not saying give up, im saying that whats being done at the moment isnt doing anything, there had to be another approach, which I and probably not many other people can come up with, OR it would have been done by now.
Ive done driving a few courses aswell.. it didnt really make all that much of a difference.. pretty much taught me and the poeple with me how to handle our cars thats about it.
Watching those same people after the course on a rainy day sideways at 130km/h on the M4. Like im saying it doesnt make much of a difference.

Works both ways mate, they could hit you and your family to.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #47
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Im not saying give up, im saying that whats being done at the moment isnt doing anything, there had to be another approach, which I and probably not many other people can come up with, OR it would have been done by now..
And thats why i asked the question what is that you guys would do, i also know it cant be 100% stopped but would like to think if people listened to some good suggestions then it would be a start.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I'd rather them not bother at all and save the money if this is the crap they spew out to be perfectly honest.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #49
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
And thats why i asked the question what is that you guys would do, i also know it cant be 100% stopped but would like to think if people listened to some good suggestions then it would be a start.
Im listening but they aren't good suggestions.
I honestly dont know what to do or suggest... I dont think anyone really does, and those that have an idea, it really makes no difference.

Theres silly amounts of laws.. a new one being P platers cant have passengers between certain times.
All that is doing, is rather than more people in one car, its puts more cars on the road in a group. Which causes more drink driving, more street racing and more accidents.
P platers for x amount of years.. so what?
Loose your licence for 3 months, so what? people still drive unlicenced, and if they dont after 3 months they get all their points back anyway.
I went to court over a driving offence, there was a guy there that had lost his licence till 2018.. he drove away from the court after his trial.
Bigger $$ fines.. so? they go broke for a couple of weeks paying it, after that?
Already been over the driving course idea in my previous post.

Maybe they should take all the new drivers through the hospital ward to see/talk to people that have been really badly injured from accidents to show them they arent invincible and its quite easily to end up next to them in a hospital bed.
Might work for a few months, then it gets put to the back of their minds, they forget about it, and next thing you see they are around a pole on channel 7 news.

I just dont know.
Old 25-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #50
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel like doing a burnout after watching that add.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #51
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I showed this to a bunch of my mates (of whom are all P-Platers, Including myself) and its just a dead set ****er. Funniest thing I've seen in a while. The look on the BA Drivers face is classic haha. And I tell you what, the blokes in the backseat of the VL would have been the one telling the drive to get her sideways "Pull the handbrake!", its one I get a fair bit.
My brother had a VL on his Ps, it ended up around a pole, but it didn't change a thing. He still thinks its fine to fang his Supercharged Commo around in the wet on bald tyres, what makes these pencil pushing ********* think that ad will have any effect on P-Platers?
Ads wont do a thing, if they survive an accident they might be lucky enough to recieve some sort of a clue, if not, well then nothing will.
I suppose I'm just lucky I can learn from some of my close mates mistakes.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #52
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt10
most of you would have seen this one. but its much more hard hitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhv6fSdz7vk

would most probably get banned if it were aired here though
Those are the kind of in your face shock value commercials we need, not pinkie ads. As if guys in a back seat of a VL would sit there pinkie'ing the driver. They would have loved it and been egging him on and we all know it.

I think the only thing that will come out of the ad is that the pinkie may become a joking trend. Mates out hooning for a night will bag out the driver in a "kidding" way giving him the pinkie. Waste of tax payers money! Commercials with more of a shock value may have a better chance at atleast making speeders think of the consequences of their actions, but giving someone the "pinkie" .... for gods sake _

First speed cameras save lives. Now pinkie's will too :
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #53
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well congrats Road Tax Authority, you have just set yourself a dangerous precedent. I saw a lebbo guy chase after a woman when she did that to him on Parramatta Road near Bunnings last night. Myself and three other people got out to stop him. But imagine if someone is savagely beaten as a result of this commercial; it's basically asking people to ridicule the bad behaviour of people they don't know, and is surely going to result in assaults and massive law suits. What next? Are we going to commence hurling abuse at all and sundry or are we just going to fill the hospitals up with victim of "Pinkie Rage"?
IMO one of the dumbest executions of a message, the whole RTA managment should be sacked.

Quote: