Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
davistev

Default Re: Capped price servicing under fire

I think Ridge was just highlighting how capped price servicing can be poor value
Old 13-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #32
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I've only got one service so far on my XR50 which was capped at $265. I was happy with that. It always cost me more in my Subaru plus it has 12,5K intervals.

And the added bonus of road side assistance is a bonus, Subaru never gave me road side assistance.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
Rodge
Banned

All I'm saying is $185 extra to change the coolant when coolant is ~$25 retail for a 5L concentrate pack should give customers an insight into how much value is in the capped price servicing scheme for them. Suggests $160 for labour to change coolant...hmmm. No wait, of course there's the environmental waste charge too, so perhaps $155 labour.
A good local mechanic is clearly going to be far better value.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
prydey
Rob

you obviously haven't bought long life coolant for a while.... or ever!

you have obviously never run a mechanic shop either. like i said, do it yourself next time.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
Rodge
Banned

Well others have been saying their long life coolant at point of purchase is circa $25, retail price and I looked up the time allocation in my service guide for my SC GT-P and the time allocated as specified is 30 minutes. I think that's that argument done and dusted in terms of whether the $185 charge is fair value. No wonder dealerships make circa half their profits from the service department according to Deloitte's.

Perhaps more to the point and on topic as per the original post, if the capped price service scheme's leave out such basic maintenance as brake fluid and coolant replacement from the charges and charge them as extra's people quite rightly could be asking themselves what it includes apart from the basic oil and filter change and a quick look over.

I for one am very pleased I have a good local mechanic.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I guess if you don't think it's a fair price, then don't go. For me the price is fine. I personally don't want to service my car myself and this way Ford knows everything that's been done to it.

I think the price is fair. Some manufacturers charge way more for their services but they then provide a more lavish service experience. With Ford I'm getting my car serviced and free roadside assistance for a price I'm happy to pay.
This user likes this post: