Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #31
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently the Falcon/Territory would need a fair bit of modifying ($$$) to meet American regs.
Would make the Falcon too expensive to meet its market, and Ford OZ wouldnt be looking at redesigning the BF this late in its life with Orion coming.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #32
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
As a performance niche model (like the Monaro) some of our cooking model Falcons I believe will sell. I think the current large rear drive sedan you have over there from the Ford stable is the Lincoln LS and ofcourse the Lincoln Towncar which is essentially a Crown Victoria.
The Lincoln LS is powered by the same engine in the Thunderbird a 3.9L 32valve V8 making 280hp. Australia's offering would be the XR8 and it makes 350hp and comes in a manual. I actually think the Lincoln LS is a nice looking modern themed saloon but with a conservative easy on the eye shape much like the BA/BF.

The Lincoln Towncar by comparison is a car for people who like wearing golf trowsers, conservative, 5.47m long, room for 6, softly suspended and its shape dates back from the 1970's Towncar where its shape was drawn by someone who only had a ruler and a HB pencil.
You're dead on. The Lincoln LS is the only thing Ford makes over here that even remotely comes close to the concept of a Falcon. Its a shame it doesn't have a more potent V8 and if I remember right, you can't get a manual with the v8 either, just the 6. The Crown Vic/Gran Marquis/Town Car are old people's cars, or else cop cars.

The Dodge/Chrysler is the only other thing made here that falls into the large performance RWD sedan category.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #33
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a read of the new thread I posted this morning about the 700million Ford Aus just got. There is no secret to it anymore, Falcon will become left and right hand drive compatible. Opens up great opportunities and some scary possibilities. For example I don't think everything done to the Monaro after it was adapted to the US market was a good thing for Aussie customers. The boot space for example.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #34
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I can't see Ford exporting the Falcon lineup to America... I can see Ford SVT adopting the FPV range style of vehicles, maybe in the Mustang range or cobra range.... means that the mustang will still come in a 6 and an 8 and producing loads of power like it should!
You never, and I mean never, want to experience an automatic 6 cylinder Mustang. Biggest POS I have ever driven. I woudn't even know where to start.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #35
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Have a read of the new thread I posted this morning about the 700million Ford Aus just got. There is no secret to it anymore, Falcon will become left and right hand drive compatible. Opens up great opportunities and some scary possibilities. For example I don't think everything done to the Monaro after it was adapted to the US market was a good thing for Aussie customers. The boot space for example.

Dan
yeah thats a good point mate, bet all the taxi drivers out there would love to have the boot space halved
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #36
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
They reckon that if Ford Aust exported the utes and Sports models(as he put it)meaning the XR's and GT's to the US that they would sell like hot cakes.
Had a very similar thing happen to me and the old man at a show and shine, a couple of fella's on Holidays from the USA came up to the Club display and loved the GT/GT-P said he thought they would do well in the US then walked down to our ute (Pursuit) and couldn't belive his eyes, said exactly the same thing that they would sell like hotcakes.

Basically the 5.4L V8 + Smaller size ute (Compared to the F-Series) = Them more jeolous of Australia then ever :king:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #37
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Ford US has to bite the bullet. Don't import LHD Falcons. It ends up too expensive, and as we know, Americans are suspicious of overpriced, foreign made versions of domestic brands. A locally built car will do a lot better, it will cost less, and most Americans wouldn't be the slightest bit aware, nor would they care, that it was designed here. The chassis is a winner. Ford here could adapt it to use the Amreican sourced V6 and V8s. Not sure Ford US would setup a local I6 factory there - though the heads are Mexican made, so who knows??
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #38
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Ford US has to bite the bullet. Don't import LHD Falcons. It ends up too expensive, and as we know, Americans are suspicious of overpriced, foreign made versions of domestic brands. A locally built car will do a lot better, it will cost less, and most Americans wouldn't be the slightest bit aware, nor would they care, that it was designed here. The chassis is a winner. Ford here could adapt it to use the Amreican sourced V6 and V8s. Not sure Ford US would setup a local I6 factory there - though the heads are Mexican made, so who knows??
If they ever drove an XR6T or Phoon they would build an I6 plant :evilking:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 PM   #39
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Great article !!
Do you think they would sell many considering that the "Taurus" looked good in their eyes?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #40
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
From my looking (Ford Oz's Website, and a currency converter) Falcons (XR8 specificially) is 5-8k (US$) more than a comparable car. I would imagine if Ford was serious about mass producing the car for the US market, they could use cheaper labor, and take advantage of more volume, and reduce a lot of the costs.
You would have to consider all the tax's etc that are added on to our Aussie cars???? Compared to U.S ???
I liked this quote...
To borrow an Aussie phrase, we bet the Ford Falcon would stick out in America like dogs’ balls. And that’s a good thing.
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #41
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

interesting read
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Ford go LHD they won't sell to the US, they would rather sell in Asia and the Middle East, maybe even South America and Europe. The US is too much hassle to even bother with, plus we can't make enough to feed US volumes. But thats a good thing as the Yanks would just screw it up to suit their requirements. They would butcher the look inside and out and make it ride like a boat.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
No thanks, you can keep those. :

Well, I'd have a TE/TS50. Those are the only AU series that aren't hideous.
AU's are great and yes the T series cars are even better our AU is much better then some of the ugly hunks of crap thats sold in the US
LONG LIVE THE AU
Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #44
Transit Truck

US Free trade agreement... USA has no taxes on Australian built cars or trucks...

http://www.fta.gov.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=1065
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #45
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
US Free trade agreement... USA has no taxes on Australian built cars or trucks...

At the cost of limited import numbers. Holden were restricted to 18,000 units a year because of the trade unions in the states. They fear that Australian built units would cost American jobs. Funny thing is that they're losing jobs anyway.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #46
Scott

Imagine all the extra "go fast bits" that would come onto the market with such a massive market in the US. Bigger market means more R&D & cheaper goodies. I can't see them being sent over complete but I would guess that engine etc could be likely.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #47
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich

Baaaa, 17%. Remember the lamb.

Agreements mean nothing to the US, except when they want to enforce it anyway. Yeah yeah, its more complex, end result was the same though.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #48
pooyan
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You never, and I mean never, want to experience an automatic 6 cylinder Mustang. Biggest POS I have ever driven. I woudn't even know where to start.
I drove one for 3 weeks in March and I thought it was pretty good. I preferred it to my BA XR6 (also automatic).
pooyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:14 AM   #49
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
You would have to consider all the tax's etc that are added on to our Aussie cars???? Compared to U.S ???
You know, thats a good point, something I hadn't considered. I was just looking at Ford's website and doing a direct currency conversion, figuring that tax would be added to the price on the website, because thats the way its done over here. It looks like that is not the case for Oz. Any idea what taxes (and $$) are built into that price?

As an example, on Ford's US website, a new Mustang GT lists for $25,860 ($33,513AU). But when you go to buy the car, you are going to be hit with various taxes and dealer fees. Here in Texas, tax is 6% on new cars. Then there are the documentation "fees" such as title application, licensing, etc. Last time I bought a car (my truck) that was around $500 ($650AU)

Having said that, when you go into the dealer to actually "buy" a car, there is significant room for negotiation. I think on that same Mustang I mentioned above, you would likely have $2000 ($2600AU) that would be "negotiable".

That brings up a point I have been meaning to ask you guys:
How does the process of buying a new car work over there?

Ours goes something like this (We'll assume I am going to buy the Mustang I mentioned above):

1. Go find the specific car on the dealer's lot I like. (ordering is an option, but ignore that for this example)
2. Go test drive the thing, make sure it drives and runs right.
3. Start "negotiations" with salesman over price of the car.
4. Once a price has been settled on, go to the F&I (Finance and Insurance) office, to negotiate Financing (if you need it) and they also try to sell you all kinds of extra insurance and B.S. that you don't need.
5. Get done with all that, and they start washing the car and getting it ready for you.
6. Meet the salesman one last time, get your keys, and you have your new car!

Is it the same process in Oz? or is there much less room for negotiation?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #50
Scott

Pretty much.^^
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #51
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You know, thats a good point, something I hadn't considered. I was just looking at Ford's website and doing a direct currency conversion, figuring that tax would be added to the price on the website, because thats the way its done over here. It looks like that is not the case for Oz. Any idea what taxes (and $$) are built into that price?

As an example, on Ford's US website, a new Mustang GT lists for $25,860 ($33,513AU). But when you go to buy the car, you are going to be hit with various taxes and dealer fees. Here in Texas, tax is 6% on new cars. Then there are the documentation "fees" such as title application, licensing, etc. Last time I bought a car (my truck) that was around $500 ($650AU)

Having said that, when you go into the dealer to actually "buy" a car, there is significant room for negotiation. I think on that same Mustang I mentioned above, you would likely have $2000 ($2600AU) that would be "negotiable".

Ours goes something like this (We'll assume I am going to buy the Mustang I mentioned above):

1. Go find the specific car on the dealer's lot I like. (ordering is an option, but ignore that for this example)
4. Once a price has been settled on, go to the F&I (Finance and Insurance) office, to negotiate Financing (if you need it) and they also try to sell you all kinds of extra insurance and B.S. that you don't need.
5. Get done with all that, and they start washing the car and getting it ready for you.

Test drives are not common. Here we like to order a car and get it built then drive of with close to zero miles on the clock.

Anyway, here is some food for thought. Here in Au there is about $2000 dealers discount you can negotiate. I get a fleet discount, another $5000. Thats 7K. There is a 10% tax on the sticker price (GST) deduct another 11%. Example, XR8 Ute, $48000, Minus 7K is 41K minus 11% is $36490. My mate just bought a new XR8 ute. He claims the GST back as he has a panel shop. Thats what its cost hime and thats the rock bottom price. Just go to Ford AU site and play with the numbers.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #52
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drives are not common? what? I have test-driven MANY MANY cars, some of which were just cos i was curious about the car
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #53
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Test drives are not common? what? I have test-driven MANY MANY cars, some of which were just cos i was curious about the car
Sorry, let me clarify, test driving the car you actualy buy is not common, for new cars that is. Test drives are normally in a demonstrator. There are large discounts on "demonstrator" cars here but some people prefer to pay extra for the "zero miles" on the clock.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #54
Kryton

this will also open up doors for the falcon to be a front wheel drive V6 like most other cars in the U.S.
if it happens, it will be like the monaro where the U.S steps in and influences what happens to it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #55
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Many falcons are sold directly as Company fleet cars. The Company pays for the car 100% and you just argue with your boss for options you want fitted.

Although leasing cars is becoming much more popular and hence the sudden rise of popularity of desireable XR's over Futura, Fairmont, Ghias, Fairlanes etc.

And the XR's are all about options, you can easily add $10,000 to the asking price with a few options (bigger wheels, transmissions, luxury interior pack, GPS, tow pack, alloy spare, colours, and many lesser options).
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #56
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:

that’s sort of a rough outline of how it works here.

Generally the customer has an idea what they want, then they wonder down to their local dealer to have a look at the car and maybe take an example of that car for a drive. Most of the time it’s a demonstration vehicle which doubles as a company car for the dealership staff. After the test drive they will always negotiate for a better price and it doesn’t matter how much they get off they will always want more, once they realise that the dealer cant give any more then they either sign up or go to another dealer to compare the price. If they want the car the and sign up then decide how they want to pay finance or with their own money. Now it’s very rare to buy a car then drive out the door with it straight away. Even cars bought straight off the floor need to be detailed and registered. Generally we allow about a week for a car to come from a holding yard, or the customer can wait the average 6-8 weeks for one that has been built for them.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #57
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Any idea what taxes (and $$) are built into that price?
10% GST (replaced 22% sales tax in 2000) is included in the price, also for cars worth more than $55k-odd there is also an extra luxury car tax which would be included in the relevant prices. On top of the listed price you would have to pay a dealer delivery fee and "on-road costs" - registration and stamp duty.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #58
Steffo
LPG > You

If they were to make Falcons in the US (which would be the only option - Australia could NEVER provide the volume - they sell as many F150's a year as our entire new car market) - I hope it would have ZERO US input.

The last thing we'd want is Falcon to become a huge, FWD, ugly (inside and out), poorly built, uneconomical land yacht, with a turning circle that can be shamed by an aircraft carrier and steering so light that the wind resistance caused by motioning your hand towards the steering wheel would be adequate to change lanes.

Keep it US input free. The most American thing in the car (The 5.4 V8) is being shamed by the Australian alternative (ie: F6 Typhoon vs GT and XR6 Turbo vs XR8).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #59
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the Crown may be based on the next Falcon/Territory; Ford Australia investment could spawn next Crown Vic

Quote:
As we reported earlier today Ford's Australian arm has announced a big investment that includes aid from the Australian government. It will result in the development of an engineering and design "centre of excellence" for the Asia Pacific and Africa region, as well as new product plans that may, just may produce the next Crown Vic in the U.S.

Blue Oval News has posted Ford's press release, which states the investment amounts to almost $1.4 billion USD. In it Ford details plans for a new global light commercial vehicle architecture that would be exported to over 80 countries, as well as an all-new Falcon and Territory. The Falcon and Territory would ride on a new large rear-wheel drive platform, which has led BON to speculate the next Crown Vic could come care of the Aussies. For that matter, the next Ford Ranger could also use Ford Australia's new light commercial vehicle platform. Of course, for either of these imports to happen a solid business case needs to be present, which, as we've seen with other Aussie immigrants like GM's GTO, is a difficult case to make
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #60
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

It is a difficult balance, to have market and volume but to continue owning a product.

But what works here may not work there.

Personally I think the best option is making the Crown Vic in the US based off a larger Falcon platform. Ford Oz has duplicate tooling but unique A pillar forward and C pillar back. Given its a luxury sedan you would think they couldn't stuff that up too much and Australia and the US would have fairly equal imput into the project. Falcon remains all local and offers its suspension and platform for the combined project (but falcon is ALL local so they just work with what they get).

Ford OZ gets all markets outside of North America (because demand is small and Australia is better able to meet the market).

This looks like what Holden is doing. Statesman may be spun off as a seperate vechical to Daewoo.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote