Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #31
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
To get the nod as the ‘centre of expertise’ for Ford’s next global large-car program – whether it be front/all-wheel drive or rear-drive – Ford Australia will have to gazump its parent company’s own engineering team in Dearborn, Michigan. If not, the Falcon family could become re-bodied versions of the US Taurus or host of other Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models.
: : :

And they will!
Old 16-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
What if base model Falcons were replaced by the 'one ford' Mondeo/Taurus and a new world class Mustang replaced the XRs/FPVs? Would that be so bad?

Hopefully Ford Oz get a world class Mustang/Falcon platform from 2013, I remember reading Detroit was considering a four door Mustang?
What were Monaro sales compared to SS/Clubsport? There is a reason XRs and FPVs are 4 door and RWD, because thats how they sell. And I havn't seen a huge jump in sales from the TRD Aurion which goes to show that when people want powerful 4 door cars they lean more towards RWD.
Base model cars on the other hand....

It just means that those who want a 4 door RWD car will have to look elsewhere.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
Couldn't see meself in a 'Proton Jumbuck'
Oh come on...you know you want to!!!
Old 16-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #34
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
What were Monaro sales compared to SS/Clubsport? There is a reason XRs and FPVs are 4 door and RWD, because thats how they sell. And I havn't seen a huge jump in sales from the TRD Aurion which goes to show that when people want powerful 4 door cars they lean more towards RWD.
Base model cars on the other hand....

It just means that those who want a 4 door RWD car will have to look elsewhere.
All good points.

I believe, and just about every other manufacturer worth mentioning besides Ford, also believes that RWD is essential to have. Whether Ford decide to go ahead with some sort of RWD platform hinges on how well they understand the above point and if adapting to "change" is that important to them that they need to decide before 2011 I'm confident the Aussie designed RWD Falcon will live on.
Old 16-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
HSE2

I have said enough on this subject already. AWD is a rubbish argument. It’s an attempt at interjecting a saving grace into a compromised platform and in the process undoing most of the benefits held by a FWD structure by adding weight and complexity of an AWD system.

The latest’s FG fuel consumption numbers proves the fallacy of FWD consumption claims.

We have been here before. This isn't about what we want or will buy. Ford has no interest in providing a product that will sell in this country.

I hope Ford have a very successful small and medium car segment future because that all they will be good for.

I wish them luck because while my heart beats never will I buy a FWD falcon replacement. Let’s hope they have the good sense to kill the Falcon name with the departure of the brands present in the LWD segment as minuscule as it may become.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #36
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Let’s hope they have the good sense to kill the Falcon name with the departure of the brand....
Well, lets hope the common sense bit keeps RWD before we get to that eh?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #37
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My 290 FPV is by far the best car I have owned I drive it every day and it puts a smile on ya face powering thru corners, sliding under power at will and those Brembo brakes. For me RWD = car control, simple as that. Good time to buy parts to keep the FPV alive for thet rest of my driving years or maybe cross to the dark side if they survive.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #38
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGhr...eature=related

Top gear australia admittedly. but I couldnt agree more with the final rant
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #39
Homes
Falcon Loving Hermit

Quote:

Let’s hope they have the good sense to kill the Falcon name with the departure of the brands present in the LWD segment as minuscule as it may become.
i hope so too mate...i had 2 cars (both 4 cyl hatches) before i owned a falcon & it was only once i was in a falcon then i gained my love of cars...i have never owned another make or model since my first falcon (XF first, then EL & now AU...thought about trading to BF, but i think the AU drives better, & i can't afford the FG) : but i will jump ship rapidly if a falcon is a rebadged taurus/mondeo/random non-falcon.

Big, 4 door, RWD, V8 cars are we want (although many of us settle for I6's because we're too poor for the big engine, but we get the rest right)...i hope they don't mess things up for us
Old 16-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #40
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bottom line is... In the same time period, ford australia sold like 1200 mondeo's compared to 3000+ falcons.... Dont worry its just a media hype and stupid people saying stupid things....
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #41
DougM

Ummmmmm.........The American car makers produce a LOT of FWD cars and so to the europeans.............Look where it's gotten them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM broke.........Opel in trouble........Chrysler broke........Can't be too cost effective if they still can't make money on them......
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #42
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man going FWD is worse than going the V6.

If they do that I won't be buying ford ever (besides second hand RWD).

For a lot of people it defeats a lot of the purpose having power, and the stupid things a shockingly dangerous is you lose traction.
Old 16-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #43
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM
Ummmmmm.........The American car makers produce a LOT of FWD cars and so to the europeans.............Look where it's gotten them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM broke.........Opel in trouble........Chrysler broke........Can't be too cost effective if they still can't make money on them......
First issue, GM owns Opel
Second issue, look at GM and Chrysler's other offerings... large RWD/4WD SUVs and trucks
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arent people sick of posting threads on this topic what seems like every week???

Old 16-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #45
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Arent people sick of posting threads on this topic what seems like every week???
Who cares, it gives us something to read when we come on, this part of the forum would probably be dead if it wasn't for the good ol' doom and gloom thread that pops up every now and again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Who cares, it gives us something to read when we come on, this part of the forum would probably be dead if it wasn't for the good ol' doom and gloom thread that pops up every now and again.
Every now and then?? all people seem to do is post doom and gloom at the moment....
Why not just dredge up all the "OMG the falcon's doomed to fwd" threads and combine them into 1 rather than start a new one each week......
I guess its taken over from the "OMG the IL 6cyl engines doomed for a V6" threads...

Last edited by 4Vman; 16-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #47
HSE2

Norm, haven't your heard mate. We are in a recession.
There is a moritorium on anything positive.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Norm, haven't your heard mate. We are in a recession.
There is a moritorium on anything positive.
Yeh sorry Ian, i missed that email.. i'll try and be more negative next time..!

OMG the Falcon's doomed..!!!!! My home's doomed!! the I6 is Doomed!!!

That feels better..

Old 16-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
OMG the Falcon's doomed..!!!!! My home's doomed!! the I6 is Doomed!!!

That feels better..
You forgot your "OMG the government is giving money out the world is coming to an end".
Old 16-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #50
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well, if Holden survives and that is the bigger if here, then the next Commodore will be RWD. They have proven to make a better RWD then their US counterparts (even if it is inferior to FG) which in turn makes a good case for Ford Australia to have a hand in the next Med-Large RWD platform.

Why do I say Med-Large? Well, Holden have said they are looking at taking mass and size out of the next Commodore. I mean this might be just putting sketches on a napkin (with all their promises they make - they are the equivalent of the NSW Labor Party...) but it also has merit.

So, historically othan than 'not invented in Detroit', the big problem for Ford US adopting our superior FG or previous version Falcon has been one of size. So, if the Falcon went down half a size their could be much more compatibility.

Reduced size, a little more alloy suspension (rear) to match the front and an entry level XT could be starting at 1600kg or nearly 100kg lighter. Add in alloy block V8, and they could be staring at a 1700kg GT.

Next Gen Mustang and Falcon will share a platform. This is what I believe will happen!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #51
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is depressing :

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #52
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny thing is that all these people who will never buy another Falcon if it goes FWD never have bought a brand new one anyway.............
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Funny thing is that all these people who will never buy another Falcon if it goes FWD never have bought a brand new one anyway.............

Really?? Seemed like the BA and then the BFII I purchased were new.
Old 16-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #54
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was waiting for this article, we are at that stage in the model cycle.
Old 16-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #55
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Not all, just the majority.
Old 16-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #56
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Good job !

Are there another 3000 here ? Per Month ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #57
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Does RWD matter that much though in the whole scheme of things?
some of us prefer rwd.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its only a go auto artical.

At least once a month an artical comes out claiming stuff, makes me yawn...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #59
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Its only a go auto artical.

At least once a month an artical comes out claiming stuff, makes me yawn...
This article is on the ball, there is no Falcon penciled in after 2013. And funnily enough, Taurus and Mondeo will receive major facelifts at the same time. It may all be a giant coincidence but the head honcho's are determined to roll out the "One Ford" scheme.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #60
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old man (63 years old) is signing for a brand new black xr6 turbo in the next few days... people still buy them new. Its true, just not many I guess. Although I must admit I would buy 2nd hand, and thats only cos i havent the money.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post