Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #31
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Many, many of the young (17-20+) year olds who apply for jobs with myself and others I know do not have a license or even a learners permit.
The most common reason given for this is "I don't need one yet" and they are normally dropped off and picked up by their mums.
Most of my step daughter's friends (19) do not have their Ps yet, several do not have Ls and she only got hers a couple of months ago.
Wow a LOT different to how it is around my area. I'm 22, most of my friends (far from car nuts) got their licences as soon as they could, and worked to get a car as soon as they could. In most cases, both parents work.

Your job positions must attract either lazy kids or kids with bored parents.

Most people who skip school seem to be the ones who don't wanna get a licence. I'd say a bigger motivator is increasing the drinking age for that person if they skip school.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'm surprised to see so many people up in arms about this.
Normally we claim the gov is only using speed cameras as revenue, and we complain that they should go further back down the ladder to fix the problem, and now when the gov looks like it is actually trying a different approach to get to the root of the problem, with regard to disrespect in our country, there's plenty to whinge and say why punish the kids.

I agree with the idea, it would be good to force the kids to behave and what-not, but then I think why are we, as a society, shortening the chains and not allowing the kids to experience some of life's F-ups early on?
I was on course to be a dole bludging waste of air through middle high school, I wagged LOTS, smoked dope at any opportunity, etc. but something happened and I changed my ways. Now I've finished uni with first class honours and working as a mechanical engineer. I wouldnt change my past for the life of me. I loved every minute of that time, even though I may be scarred from some of it.

So I dont know, how do you force respect into children?...haha.
Old 21-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #33
veqlargh

i think frazman had the right idea. if they want to increase driver safety the only way is to actually improve the driver training process not simply make it longer and longer. i've been off my p's for a little over a year and i know that a couple of lessons on a skidpan would have done me alot more good than my log books ever did. also fyi the law about v8s for p platers got scrapped over in WA cause there was a study that showed no correlation between car power and death toll.

i reckon about half of people from 16-22 either have or are getting their licence (girls also seem less likely to get theirs imo). and the ones who dont have or are not persuing onedo claim that they dont need one. they basically take public transport to work and stinge lifts of those of us with one if we go anywhere. :(

back on track, i can sort of see their logic but i think its a bit misguided. hooning and such is hardly limited to people who never wagged school. nor is it right to say that everyone who wagged school will be some sort of social burden and general law breaker. that brings up another point i think the article is talking about people wagging and generally breaking school rules not people who have unenrolled to take up a job/aprentiship or what ever the case may be.

and yes my generation may have been given alot but were not all snot nosed brats who dont know how to work.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Under any law of dictatorship.... this is something I actually don't fully disagree with for once. This is actually worth considering.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it's a good idea. Let's face it, those who wag school often are probably f'wits to begin with.

As with other measures, it won't completely solve the problem but it's an idea which doesn't completely blanket everyone.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post