Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD rolls out number plate recognition cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
ACT have used these for sometime. You would be surprised how many people they bust for unregistered at the least. You can tell by many cars with plates removed in the aftermath on the side of the road

Sure it can not determine if an unlicenced driver is driving the car initially but proper police checks can after they have been pulled over.
We have had them in QLD for years too, fitted to HP cars in the form of a copper with a laptop.

A copper can tell the difference between a white holden and a red falcon so can not only tell if the rego has run out but if the car actually matches the rego and if the rego is in fact from another state, something the camera cannot.....
Old 16-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
We have had them in QLD for years too, fitted to HP cars in the form of a copper with a laptop.

A copper can tell the difference between a white holden and a red falcon so can not only tell if the rego has run out but if the car actually matches the rego and if the rego is in fact from another state, something the camera cannot.....
I doubt they can read and check 3000 plates an hour though? It just automates part of the process, of course the police will still need to confirm the details of the alert.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The camera can do it quicker. Whilst the operator is looking at the laptop 30 cars have gone past and any one of these could be illegal and generally they will be following you not going the other way. I am confused as to why QLD is useing the old system of cars parked on the side of the road to check and then pull you up further down. NSW cameras are mounted to the car and mobile checks are done far quicker and that makes it quicker for the officer to spot if its headed the other direction.
Hey Flap, aren't QLDers able to pay rego over net 24/7 like other states?
Old 16-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #34
Dave3911

So flappist, your point is that because these camera's may be used to bring some hardship on someone who's registration is only a few days out - that makes their introduction pointless???

You've got to be joking.

Whilst I can appreciate your point that it'd be damn unfotunate for this to occur - and I too would be mighty ****ed off. I also acknowledge that I am an Adult. I am responsible for my own affairs. Regardless of whether I get any renewal notice - it's my responsibility to ensure my car is registered on the road.

Also - it's a $600+ bill when it comes, so like my rates notice, insurance and other items that come around anually - I have to prepare for them. Most fortnightly budgets in most households don't have a $600 contingency in them. I totally refute your point that the average joe "doesn't know" when these items are due. If they don't - they are burying their head in the sand to their responsibilites.

These cameras are an awesome policing tool. Whilst this article pushes the road rule enforcement aspect of it - that is seriously only the tip of the iceberg. If rolled out property - with mobile units fitted to as many cars as possible - this technology has the potential to be a key factor in not only stolen motor vehicles - but stolen property, the drug trade and detecting other oustanding criminals via their cars. Stats in the UK have shown their warrant clean-up rate has gone through the roof.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
If you pay it late then the period between when it ran out and when you pay it IT IS UNREGISTERED and if it runs out on Sunday and you get pulled over on Monday going down to pay it you are driving and unregistered vehicle.

This is a huge crime and will cost you a lot of money and maybe your license.

If, on the Friday before you were pulled up on your way to a tyre shop to replace your totally bald tyres, they would be just a warning......

Sezzy, not everyone lives in a city.....
No, but you do get a good six weeks notice that your rego is due in Queensland.

My car is registered in Victoria, expires in Feb, I get it at the end of December - it's really not the way you describe it at all. In fact, It would seem that you are just trying to refute yet another attempt at someone trying to change things, something which is becoming very common, and very old. I know that every time a thread such as this comes up - you will dispute it.

No, not everyone lives in a city - but I'm not sure what your point is there...

It seems now, that you're siding with those who fail to take responsibility for their vehicle, and yet if an unregistered driver kills someone, you'll probably blame the government for not doing anything.

They can't win with you, and I don't think anyone else can either.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 16-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
It seems now, that you're siding with those who fail to take responsibility for their vehicle, and yet if an unregistered driver kills someone, you'll probably blame the government for not doing anything.

They can't win with you, and I don't think anyone else can either.
Yes it is ok for people to be killed by registered cars though isn't it?
There is a huge difference between not registered with fake plates and a day or so late paying a bill, BUT NOT IN THE LAW.

My point is that we seem to be constantly applauding government systems for increasing revenue while achieving very little for the good of the general people.

Where are all the clever systems to speed up hospital emergency room delays? Or even to pay the staff correctly?
Or expediting the often months of delay in getting the smallest document through local council? Try and cut down a tree one day.
You let your gun license expire by 1 day it will take a MINUMUM of 6 months to get it re-issued and they do NOT send reminders anymore.
Why have all rates risen by a huge amount after amalgamation to reduce costs?
Why did rego become payable in 6 month intervals at exactly HALF the amount (to help the battlers) only to be gradually increased every year?
Why is there a "late fee" for every government charge yet they are ALWAYS late in paying their invoices and take any discount even if they are not elegible?

The answer is because they can get away with it as most people are too distracted with the spin doctored "new initives" to see that they are being screwed.
Old 16-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #37
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
There is a huge difference between not registered with fake plates and a day or so late paying a bill, BUT NOT IN THE LAW.

My point is that we seem to be constantly applauding government systems for increasing revenue while achieving very little for the good of the general people.

Where are all the clever systems to speed up hospital emergency room delays? Or even to pay the staff correctly?
Or expediting the often months of delay in getting the smallest document through local council? Try and cut down a tree one day.
You let your gun license expire by 1 day it will take a MINUMUM of 6 months to get it re-issued and they do NOT send reminders anymore.
Why have all rates risen by a huge amount after amalgamation to reduce costs?
Why did rego become payable in 6 month intervals at exactly HALF the amount (to help the battlers) only to be gradually increased every year?
Why is there a "late fee" for every government charge yet they are ALWAYS late in paying their invoices and take any discount even if they are not elegible?

The answer is because they can get away with it as most people are too distracted with the spin doctored "new initives" to see that they are being screwed.
The anti-government speel starts again...

What do you propose flappist? I'm actually quite keen to know what you would do if you were in charge, bearing in mind that things still need to be paid for.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 16-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #38
Dave3911

Quote:
Whilst the unregistered component is certainly the same - as like it or not, both cars in your scenario are unregistered. However it is another offence to put false plates on a vehicle so that person will end up with further charges and penalties. So no, they aren't really the same "in the law".
Old 16-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
This statement is probably three times more likely to be wrong...
That's probably a dead easy stat for the transport dept to prove, given that
a lot of data is generated after an accident.
Personally, I would rather see governments home in on the root cause of most
dramas on our roads, and imo, it's the pitiful driving skills of a lot of drivers.
We all make mistakes, but some drivers trail a continual miasma of grief as they plough through traffic. If I was Mel Brooks ( it's great to be the king ). there would be checks on cars, competency tests on drivers, and free compulsory defensive driving courses.

cheers
Steve
Old 16-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #40
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The MAJORITY of my cars (and most of my friends' cars) are not registered in the name of a licensed driver.......
Why? And how is this any one elses problem, just means that you and your friends will be pulled up by police more often.

Quote:
The cameras cannot detect unlicensed or uninsured or drunk, all they can tell is if you have not paid your rego
It actually detects if the owner holds a valid drives license, and also if the car is registered and there for insured as it can not be insured if it is not registered, they go hand on hand. The cameras were never designed to detect drunk drivers

Quote:
Yeh the guy whose rego renewal was lost in the mail and is 2 days overdue is a major criminal.
Take responsibility, for your actions, not any one elses problem if you do not pay your rego, and yes you are a major criminal especially if you have an accident and you can not afford to pay for the medical bills and property damage you caused whiles not insured.

Quote:
To me several times over the years on both bikes and cars. My father went a whole year without rego until one day he noticed his sticker was the wrong colour.

Most people do not spend every second thinking about their car and/or have lots of cars due at different times.

The sticker is such a good reminder, especially when it is attached to the broken windscreen you had replaced months before.
Again not anyone else problem you and your father are unable to manage your affairs in such a way that you know when your bills are due, I have four cars and know exactly when the rego is due and also when to pay my bills and utilities, its not that hard really, most people seem to manage to do it. May be own less car if you are unable to keep up.

If your windscreen brakes you need to get a new sticker, same as everyone else, it's really simple if you can not do it may be you need a responsible adult to help you.

Quote:

Well if you like yes it is better for people to get killed by registered cars, as the vehicle is insured and all injury/death related expenses are covered by this insurance, instead of you being liable for it and possibly not being able to pay it. I think you just like to whinge and come up with the dumbest arguments.

Getting unregistered cars off the road is a great thing IMO, and the fines are still way too low for this IMO, it is your responsibility to keep your car registered (everyone else has to), and if it is too difficult don't drive and catch a bus, simple really.

There is no difference in a car being an hour out of rego or a year, the end affect will be exactly the same if something happens, there is no place for an unregistered car on the road.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

It's not there to save lives.

S.A have had them for a while and whilst they do pick up cars that are unregistered or stolen or speeders, they don't pull you up on the spot and fine you or throw you in the slammer. It's posted to you like all other camera fines. It takes 1 to 3 weeks to reach you.

How do I know? I'm a big time crim, that got a fine in the mail, from one located on the Princess Highway, near Crafers, because the rego on my car expired 2 days prior to being picked up by this camera.

I copped an $800+ fine and I'm wearing it on the chin, because I stuffed up.

Yes, I'm an irresponsible motorist that deserves to be locked up and the key thrown away due to my negliance. So all those that want to flame me, knock yourselves out.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 16-04-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #42
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
All it is, is another revenue raising item.

S.A have had them for a while and whilst they do pick up cars that are unregistered or stolen or speeders, they don't pull you up on the spot and fine you or throw you in the slammer. It's posted to you like all other camera fines.

So it's just another revenue raising ploy by our Government.
Perhaps you should try reading again??

Quote:
It then provides a warning to the operating officers who contact a unit ahead to pull the car over.
Seems like same day service to me...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 16-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Perhaps you should try reading again??

Seems like same day service to me...

I did and adjusted accordingly.

The fine I got wasn't same day service for me. Unless you class 3 weeks elapsed time, same day.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 16-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #44
fmc351
let it burn

Your licence can be set to be renewed on your birthday, or any other date you find easy to remember, just ask at the DOT. Mine isnt, but my Mrs has her renewal set on her birthday (for that first renewal, I think she lost a couple of weeks, but paid the full fee).

Rego, we get a letter telling us when they're due about 1-2 months prior to the due date, not that I need it. If you keep your details up to date with the DOT, there shouldnt be any issue, and its law to do so. If you dont have a valid rego sticker as its on the smashed windscreen from a couple of months ago, youve broken the law by not having it replaced in that time frame. If it was only a week or so ago, the excuse doesnt work.

Ive heard stories about people who never got their letter, but then they were caught doing something illegal. Ive also heard people make excuses for not paying for something they walked out a shop with too. Im sure the odd letter does go amiss, but its hardly rampant. Ive never not received one in over 20 yrs of holding a licence, in 2 states.
Old 16-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #45
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Why? And how is this any one elses problem, just means that you and your friends will be pulled up by police more often.
My car is registered in my mother's name and she never held a licence in her life. Passed through about 3 ANPR camera roadblocks this year and not even a second look by the police. In 4 years of owning the car, never get pulled over for random checks or even breath test either. Unless a person drives like a tool everywhere he goes, or more correctly, at the wrong place and time, don't see how would he and his friends be pulled by police more often?
Old 17-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
It's not there to save lives.

S.A have had them for a while and whilst they do pick up cars that are unregistered or stolen or speeders, they don't pull you up on the spot and fine you or throw you in the slammer. It's posted to you like all other camera fines. It takes 1 to 3 weeks to reach you.

How do I know? I'm a big time crim, that got a fine in the mail, from one located on the Princess Highway, near Crafers, because the rego on my car expired 2 days prior to being picked up by this camera.

I copped an $800+ fine and I'm wearing it on the chin, because I stuffed up.

Yes, I'm an irresponsible motorist that deserves to be locked up and the key thrown away due to my negliance. So all those that want to flame me, knock yourselves out.
So how long were you locked up for? You werent locked up? So I guess the drama queen antics of major crim deserving to be locked up are just well... drama, MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA! You were fined, for not having registration and 3rd party insurance (personal injury), and thats it. Nothing more happens.

How much is the annual rego costs? And if the chances of getting caught is low, then the fine needs to exceed that to give some the incentive to register their car. If I knew I would get away with it for 3 years and get caught once in that time, and the fine was say $100, while rego over three years equaled around $2700 ($900/yr), I probably wouldnt bother with reg, just cop the fine instead, its cheaper.

However at $800 a pop, and a decent chance I might get caught several times over the period, I just dont even consider it.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #47
nstg8a

i think its a good idea, anything that makes it easier to get unregistered cars off the road.

what i would like to see though is qld adopt a instalment plan for rego, so you could pay say $20 a week to them so that when the rego is due its paid for.

my ghia is close enough to $1000 for 12 months, and thats nearly a fortnights pay for me, be much easier to prepare if we could pay it off.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

It actually detects if the owner holds a valid drives license, and also if the car is registered and there for insured as it can not be insured if it is not registered, they go hand on hand. The cameras were never designed to detect drunk drivers
You do realise that the MAJORITY of vehicles registered in Australia are not in the name of a licensed driver don't you?

Or do you think all of the government cars, company cars, trucks, busses rentals etc. etc. etc. are all personally owned.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The anti-government speel starts again...

What do you propose flappist? I'm actually quite keen to know what you would do if you were in charge, bearing in mind that things still need to be paid for.
Wait awhile, you might see some of my ideas turning up in a couple of months.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #50
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

In England they stop the vehicle and and seize and impound it.

The driver and occupants have to get their gear out of the car and make arrangements to be picked up.

If rego, tax and insurance is not paid within a certain time, they trash the car.

In NSW, if you have an unpaid govt fine this shows up at rego renewal time and your car cannot be registered until you pay the fine (plus a fee for the debt collection dept). Consequently guys are driving around unregistered, unlicenced and unisured.

This puts a cost burden on you if this guy runs into your car. You can take him to court, he probably has no money, so even if you were successful in court (that has cost you time and money in more govt fees and maybe the cost of a lawyer) he may not pay you anything. You then have to decide is it worth spending more of your money to make this guy pay.

Same for your insurance company. They say if you can identify the at fault driver, they will claim on his insurance company, what they don't say is that they won't chase him through the courts - so you must use your insurance, costing you your excess and maybe forfeiting your no claim bonus. All this because it wasn't your fault, just some low life who doesn't care about you and you can't touch him because he has nothing.

I think we need the English system here.
Old 17-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #51
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watching one of those pommie cop shows, it showed the camera in use.
While parked on a freeway two vehicles came up on the computer as being owned by known drug dealers, both of whom knew each other, and both vehicles were driving together.

Police thought it worthy of pursuit and pulled over both vehicles, one "did a runner". Both vehicles were carrying drugs. In this case the cars were impounded (to be later sold im guessing).

In this instance its a good thing as the computer brings up known associates, criminal history etc.... instantly.

While obviously it will pick up a lot of unregistered vehicles and add to the governments revenue, hopefully it will do some good in other areas.

If a known druggie drives pasts, or a car whose owner is disqualified from driving, pull them over. Cant see the issue.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 17-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #52
Dave3911

Quote:
You do realise that the MAJORITY of vehicles registered in Australia are not in the name of a licensed driver don't you?

Or do you think all of the government cars, company cars, trucks, busses rentals etc. etc. etc. are all personally owned.
I'd dispute that.... whilst there defiantely are a crap tonne of vehicles registered in the name of a business, from personal experience i'd say there are certainly more on the road registered privately.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because if they implement the system correctly it is able to detirmine likely "known" drivers of company registered vehicles(or any vehicles for that matter) from previous infringments that vehicle has been attached to. It's by no means fool proof - but if a currently suspended driver has had 4 tickets over the last 12 months in vehicle ABC 123 that is registered to someone/thing else then depending how they have the system setup it can still throw up an alert based on the probability of the person driving that vehicle from the previous infringement data.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #53
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i think its a good idea, anything that makes it easier to get unregistered cars off the road.

what i would like to see though is qld adopt a instalment plan for rego, so you could pay say $20 a week to them so that when the rego is due its paid for.

my ghia is close enough to $1000 for 12 months, and thats nearly a fortnights pay for me, be much easier to prepare if we could pay it off.
You could just open a bank account, or a sub account and deposit into it until reg is due. I think the post office has a method to essentially pay of rego too, well save for it through them or something like that.

Or are you still too young to stop yourself spending it anyway. I remember those days.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #54
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You could just open a bank account, or a sub account and deposit into it until reg is due. I think the post office has a method to essentially pay of rego too, well save for it through them or something like that.

Or are you still too young to stop yourself spending it anyway. I remember those days.
im definitly not young lol, but i cant save, never have been able to.

the post office thing is interesting, il ask them about that next time im in there
Old 17-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #55
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
So how long were you locked up for? You werent locked up? So I guess the drama queen antics of major crim deserving to be locked up are just well... drama, MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA! You were fined, for not having registration and 3rd party insurance (personal injury), and thats it. Nothing more happens.

How much is the annual rego costs? And if the chances of getting caught is low, then the fine needs to exceed that to give some the incentive to register their car. If I knew I would get away with it for 3 years and get caught once in that time, and the fine was say $100, while rego over three years equaled around $2700 ($900/yr), I probably wouldnt bother with reg, just cop the fine instead, its cheaper.

However at $800 a pop, and a decent chance I might get caught several times over the period, I just dont even consider it.

The "crim" comment is said as a result of previous comments within this thread. If you're to read some comments by people on here, they say people driving unregistered vehicles should be locked up and the key thrown away. So I figured I must be one of these lowlives that deserve to be thrown in the big house because I was caught driving unregistered.

The rego costs are under what the fine was. (rego $600 per annum) I'm not complaining that I got caught and I'm not complaining about the fine cost. It was my stupid fault for forgetting to pay the rego on that car. (1 of 6 I have regoed). Things like that happen to people from time to time.

My context is, how can these devises save lives, when it takes between 1 to 3 weeks (3 weeks in my case) to receive the fine. Geez, in 3 weeks, someone could die from an accident or from natural causes.

Old 17-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #56
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wait awhile, you might see some of my ideas turning up in a couple of months.
Why's the cat got your tongue this time? You're usually not backwards in coming forwards...what do you have planned??

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 17-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #57
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
They say if you can identify the at fault driver, they will claim on his insurance company, what they don't say is that they won't chase him through the courts - so you must use your insurance, costing you your excess and maybe forfeiting your no claim bonus. All this because it wasn't your fault, just some low life who doesn't care about you and you can't touch him because he has nothing.
You better change insurance companies, generally if you can ID the driver at fault you do not lose your no claim bonus or pay excess, this is the point of having full comprehensive insurance. If you are not at fault and ID the other driver it's not your problem, the insurance company has to chase up the other driver, regardless if he has insurance or not.

This is the reason I have full comprehensive cover on my cars, as long as I can ID the other driver it costs me nothing, if it's a hit and run and he gets away I just pay the $800 excess and still get my $70K car repaired or replaced, so well worth the peace of mind IMO.

PS What ever reasons people come up with to be our of rego, please spare us all, just get your life sorted and take responsibility
Old 17-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #58
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Question, in any state is it illegal or will the owner of a car be in any way held responsible if an accident occurs whilst his/her car is in the hands of an unlicenced driver? I can be held liable if I loan my boat to an unlicenced driver.
Along with having a vehicle registered in your name comes responsibility. You are responsible for the damage it causes, people injured etc, the insurance you ought to take out protects you.

This is of course if you act responsibility, handing the keys over to someone who you know is unlicenced, drunk etc is not and I would anticipate you'd be crucified in the courts.

Its in your best interests if loaning your vehicle to perfect strangers to actually see a licence produced, not sure if you can actually find out from law enforcement if it is still valid though.
Old 18-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #59
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
The "crim" comment is said as a result of previous comments within this thread. If you're to read some comments by people on here, they say people driving unregistered vehicles should be locked up and the key thrown away. So I figured I must be one of these lowlives that deserve to be thrown in the big house because I was caught driving unregistered.

The rego costs are under what the fine was. (rego $600 per annum) I'm not complaining that I got caught and I'm not complaining about the fine cost. It was my stupid fault for forgetting to pay the rego on that car. (1 of 6 I have regoed). Things like that happen to people from time to time.

My context is, how can these devises save lives, when it takes between 1 to 3 weeks (3 weeks in my case) to receive the fine. Geez, in 3 weeks, someone could die from an accident or from natural causes.
I dont see these things as simply saving lives. I see this one as over time, reducing the cost of 3rd party insurance. Ive read several comments where people think the unreg driver will have to cover the injured persons costs personally, and as they likely have no money, the injured are left holding the bag. But that isnt correct, a concept known as the nominal defendant is used as the party at fault, in order to ensure the injured are covered by the same insurance as anyone else despite lack of rego. But we ALL pay for that. Think of it as shoplifting from Myers, the store doesnt absorb the cost, they pass it on to every paying consumer.

These devices arent solely about catching someone out, but making others think twice before doing it. So while it may not stop some clowns driving unreg'd, it may reduce the number that think the risk is worth it.
Old 18-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #60
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know about you guys but I pay my rego every year long before it is due.

I don't want to share the road with other people who drive on it for free, accidentally or otherwise.

Therefore based on that alone the cameras are a good idea
Closed Thread