Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #31
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question Re: Electric power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
I would have thought that 2004 was a bit old for EPS.
Check it out
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t24531436-problem_eps_warning

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2015, 01:54 AM   #32
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Electric power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
yeah I think its the infinity Q50 first to hit the market..no thanks in about 5 years time!
I seem to recall a concept car where the 'steering wheel' could be swapped left to right. plug and play style to suit intercontinental travel and manufacturing cost savings.
Its coming though.

JP
Q50 has steer by wire but also keeps a mechanical connection to the front wheels.
Most planes are fly by wire these days but their systems contain multiple Comms channels and control computers in case of failure - some even keep some basic mechanical controls. This is done for redundancy purpose .
There are issues of legality as in some states vehicle with purely steer by wire without mechanical connection can't be registered. Another issue is that 12v electical system in todays cars is not suitable for efficient supply of steer and brake by wire systems - there were plans to introduce 42v car electrical systems.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #33
b2428

We have EPS in our Pulsar. I find it great around town but it doesnt firm up really at all as speed rises and remains way to light around and above 100. Don't get me wrong I do like it weight wise when I just want to chill and drive. However because of it's weight sometimes it feels like your constantly chasing it which makes it hard work at times.

Compared to the Mondeo, I love the feedback most the time and highway weight of the system but find it quite heavy around town and while feedback wise works well tramlines horridly at times, seemingly following every rut and hollow.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Q50 has steer by wire but also keeps a mechanical connection to the front wheels.
Most planes are fly by wire these days but their systems contain multiple Comms channels and control computers in case of failure - some even keep some basic mechanical controls. This is done for redundancy purpose .
There are issues of legality as in some states vehicle with purely steer by wire without mechanical connection can't be registered. Another issue is that 12v electical system in todays cars is not suitable for efficient supply of steer and brake by wire systems - there were plans to introduce 42v car electrical systems.
It was 48V system for cars, we were talking about it in trade school a few years ago, it was on the cards.

But I doubt it would eventuate, like 24V has been a dismal failure in trucks IMO. Some run 24V, lots don't.

EPS is great, I've got it on my WS Fiesta.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
It was 48V system for cars, we were talking about it in trade school a few years ago, it was on the cards.

But I doubt it would eventuate, like 24V has been a dismal failure in trucks IMO. Some run 24V, lots don't.

EPS is great, I've got it on my WS Fiesta.
It was 42V for main system with 14V auxiliary circuits ( as proposed by Mercedes and BMW) - 48V is too high as under certain conditions charging voltage would exceed 60V ( and they want to stay under 50V for electrical hazard protection).
They tripled the current standard (36V ) with charging voltage of 42V.
42/14 seems to be close to becoming a future standard .
It is true that it seems very slow to be implemented.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1227292
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0319

Last edited by SumoDog68; 12-07-2015 at 11:00 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #36
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've got to compare apples with apple here. There are 3 district types of electric power steering systems.

1. Hydraulic rack & electrically driven pump.
2. Manual rack & electrically assisted steering column.
3. Full powered electric rack.

Type 1. has been around for donkey's. Astras & Barinas have had it since the late 90s & it is commonplace on a few Mazda/Fords. It's main aim was to reduce load on the engine & therefore a gain in economy. My verdict is that whilst a convenient design, they are arguably more complex & troublesome than the regular belt-driven hydraulic pump & rack set-up. Economy gain was good however.

Type 2. has been also around for a few years. As mentioned above, the Suzuki Ignis/Holden Cruze (2000-2005) was one of the common early adopters of this system. It's main aim was again, fuel efficiency, but was markedly simpler than the Type 1 system. Many Japanese & Korean makers favour this system, which also lends itself well to self-parking set-ups, a la Lexus etc.

Type 3. is the one seen in VF Commodores & other upmarket luxury cars. This one is my favourite, it easily adapts to self-parking set-ups as well as being able to have variable speed & load info fed in. The overall driving experience at any speed is very good. If you jump out of a Corolla into a VF Commodore it's like chalk & cheese, the VF is SO MUCH better than any motorised column type p/st system on the market.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
We've had fly by wire, as in the accelerator pedal not being operated by cable anymore since the BA. Haven't heard any complaints there.

Steer by wire is chasing further refinement, eliminating nvh travelling up through the steering column. I'm happy with the current arrangement thanks...

Electric power steering is also required for the self park and self drive features that are becoming common place now.
actually there have been a number of fly by wire throttle failures over the years , but its not a headline grabbing fault.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Driven a few different types and not a fan. The mustang I drove in the states allowed you to stiffen it up and it made it better but still nothing special....the one in the camaro I drove a couple days prior was terrible. really poor for a sports car.....but that car had a lot of short comings so not surprised.

Current Terri is too light I prefer the hyrdo setup in the Falcon. But just like all things it comes down to personal preference.
Old 13-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #39
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, I had a drive today of a couple new V dubs and they did not exhibit the same sensations of the Kuga. They were actually good to drive at speed. I think it is a Ford, Nissan and Korean thing as well as others.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Driven a few different types and not a fan. The mustang I drove in the states allowed you to stiffen it up and it made it better but still nothing special....the one in the camaro I drove a couple days prior was terrible. really poor for a sports car.....but that car had a lot of short comings so not surprised.

Current Terri is too light I prefer the hyrdo setup in the Falcon. But just like all things it comes down to personal preference.
yes it is all in the calibration of them i think, out of a bunch of trucks i used to drive, most felt pretty good to drive, one was calibrated like a sports car, it was bloody ridiculous/horrible, no doubt its same for cars, its all in the software tune.
Old 15-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #41
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
actually there have been a number of fly by wire throttle failures over the years , but its not a headline grabbing fault.
Depends how they fail I guess. Might make the news if the throttle gets stuck wide open at an inappropriate time...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #42
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have ehps in my xf ute using a ts astra pump. works a treat and gives a better road feel than the overassessed engine driven pump
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Depends how they fail I guess. Might make the news if the throttle gets stuck wide open at an inappropriate time...
from the ones i have read about either, they had no throttle, or inconsistent throttle, or would not run full stop, but i don't recall any that went full throttle(would not have a clue if there have been any go full throttle though) , or maybe they are engineered in a way so they cant go full throttle when they cark it ?? i really don't know mate.
Old 15-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
have ehps in my xf ute using a ts astra pump. works a treat and gives a better road feel than the overassessed engine driven pump
i think my young brother bought an astra one also to put on his sleeper, seems a common one from memory to fit to rods too ?