Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I don't think there is any performance advantage having one. It wont make your car faster nor will it provide more power. It does however give the car a more solid/confident feel when changing between gears under high load. For those who indulge in spirited driving and/or track days, the shift kit adds to the experience and enjoyment instead of sloppy, grandpa style gear changes which the BTR's are known for.

The trans cooler was fitted to my car as a bit of added insurance seeing as I was going to put more than stock power through the standard internals as well as harder driving style. It won't bullet proof the box definitely not, but it has bought some time for the box itself before I choose to decide to either rebuild the box stronger or go manual.

If you're intention to buy a shift kit is to 'get some gain out of it', then look at it in the light of 'driving enjoyment/experience' rather than any performance gain or longevity.

The bottom line is, if you are that worried about damage to the gearbox or other components of the vehicle itself due to this little mod and money is too tight, DON'T DO IT.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #32
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Less flaring, less heat, better shifts

Sound worth it to me......

Less heat generally means more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute

I wouldn't recommend anything but the fully adjustable kit though. If it feels like it is thumping on gear changes then turn it down a bit....chirping tyres does not make you faster.
lol but some think
It's fully sic to do it

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 09-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #33
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I don't think there is any performance advantage having one. It wont make your car faster nor will it provide more power. It does however give the car a more solid/confident feel when changing between gears under high load. For those who indulge in spirited driving and/or track days, the shift kit adds to the experience and enjoyment instead of sloppy, grandpa style gear changes which the BTR's are known for.

The trans cooler was fitted to my car as a bit of added insurance seeing as I was going to put more than stock power through the standard internals as well as harder driving style. It won't bullet proof the box definitely not, but it has bought some time for the box itself before I choose to decide to either rebuild the box stronger or go manual.

If you're intention to buy a shift kit is to 'get some gain out of it', then look at it in the light of 'driving enjoyment/experience' rather than any performance gain or longevity.

The bottom line is, if you are that worried about damage to the gearbox or other components of the vehicle itself due to this little mod and money is too tight, DON'T DO IT.
ive done the same as blueoval.

but in doing this i new that it can cause some probs so ive heard. but ive been running mine for 6 months now i did a tranny service inbetween and ive havent had a problem at all.

if you realy want the car to be quick dont get a shift kit go the manual conversion costs more but alot more bang for your buck.

shift kit though is fun..

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #34
robbyj
Rob

Yea i think ill get one and a tranny cooler just because.
But that wont be happening for a little while now.

Unless i just build one.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thanks george. I've had mine for about a year, and same, no issue.

But I still stand by not using it in peak hour traffic. Use it for spirited driving and drag style applications

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #36
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this the same as a flash tuner with firming up the shifts? Is the kit/flash changing the line pressure for more positive shifts?

AZZA
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #37
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

All the shift kit is doing is changing the signal to solanoid Nr 5 in the transmission, therfore increasing line pressure over what the manufacturer specifies. Slight increases in line pressure over the spectrum would be advantages however i get the feeling that a lot of people are running too much line pressure overall. Remember at full throttle line pressure in the auto is at maximum, so all a shiftkit is doing is changing line pressure at lower TPS etc readings, and not allowing the Auto to change gears smoothly as designed. Shift Kits are most effective in high power applications, i kept my EX TAXI auto going with the turbo insatlled for 8 months by backing off the throttle on gear change to elliminate slipage, and that auto once removed is still in service today. (It may be amusing to note after reading about blown up diffs and unis etc that my ex taxi with 572000km's on it, still retains the standard diff and tailshaft and uni's with the Turbo on it nearly 2 years.) Later...........