Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #31
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How old were you when you moved out of home..?

I'm 24 and still at home. I pay $100 week board and we split electricity, water and gas. Soon I will buy my own place or may have to rent since my mother and her partner are wanting to move elsewhere it all depends on the timing which way I go
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #32
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moved out at 19...got tired of travelling 150km per day (round trip) for uni...supported myself ever since and have never contemplated moving back home.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Moved out at 19 with a mate (bad mistake). Moved back home at 20 because I was studying for a bit then moved out again at 22. Been living by myself ever since.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I moved out at 23 to save money.

My parents board was 1/3 of my wage which was $600ish. Then they wanted to increase it because it was too cheap :(

So I moved in with a mate & it was only $80 a week. Now I have moved into a granny flat & still only pay $100 a week so still cheaper than living at home.

My sister though is married & still living at home with hubby & dont pay rent. I kinda feel a bit jipped. Or my parents dont like me
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
My sister though is married & still living at home with hubby & dont pay rent. I kinda feel a bit jipped. Or my parents dont like me
Dont they think its time they moved out of there?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Got kicked out at 22.
Old 26-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm 20 still living at home, I've wasted a bit of cash though, been working casually since I was 15 in 2006, bought my first car in 2009, picked up an apprenticeship in 2010 as an apprentice motor mechanic at a Honda dealership where I lasted 6 months before I left because of their crappy treatment.

A friend rang me up and said we've got two apprenticeships going here, auto electrician or vehicle body builder, I took the former, handed in my resignation at Honda, best thing I ever did.

A year later, I'm a second year auto electrician. I bought another new car earlier this year, totalled it in an accident, got another one though insurance.

Sorta regretting the cars though, thats a lot of cash down the gurgler.

Parents said I can stay at home as long as I like, idealy if I got a job in the mines after I finish my apprenticeship it'd probably be easier if I moved out, but I think i'm the only thing thats stopping my parents from getting divorced.

In my near future, I'd like to finish my apprenticeship as an auto elec, either get into the mines as some sort of logistics role or start as a motor mechanic again and get that behind my belt, only at a local small garage though
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
capriv8

Moved out when I was seventeen, spent a decade ticking off the most amazing bucket list all around the world.
My parents were very poor and I learnt to stand on my own two feet very young.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #39
Wise
DWF00N

I'm 23 and trying to get house deposit together. I'm too good at spending my cash but.

Its funny though, my wage more than covers what rent would be, but mortgage repayments I can't afford on a 400k place which seems to be around the average price for somewhere in sydney. The bank won't look at me til I have 45k for a deposit, and that's a while away. I've been saving since about march and hope to get out around march or april next year.

I'm paying 50 a week board and the only thing I don't do is cook my own meals cuz I get home too late. And sometimes its just too late to eat anyway.

I'm looking to buy because ias others have said they'd prefer not to **** away 3-400 a week on rent and save that.

Another alternative that's been suggested to me is buy a property and pay as much as you can in to it in 6 months and then rent it out, then buy another and rent yourself. For some that can work out cheaper, but I suppose the key is to have the cash to do it in the first place

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moved out at 22. Lived in sharehouses till 9 months ago. Now renting a place with the mrs, looking at buying an apartment circa 2 years.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #41
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
My parents were very poor and I learnt to stand on my own two feet very young.
Sounds like me and a lot of other people out there, I didn't have much of a choice, I was just lucky with getting some scholarships and being smart with my money.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I'm 25 and moved out at 18 nearly 19. Before then, because we came from a single parent family, I was paying $50 a week board out of my youth allowance to mum from 16.
Moved back in for a couple of months before going to uni 2 years later, then lived with my nan in melb, paying board as well.

Again, moved out fully at 22.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
351p6replica
Banned

Was 14 when l left home , returned back to the states for couple years returned traveled oz joined the army left after my stint onow have my own kids an cant wait for them to grow up an leave an go to uni
351p6replica is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #44
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
I moved out at 23 to save money.

My parents board was 1/3 of my wage which was $600ish. Then they wanted to increase it because it was too cheap :(

So I moved in with a mate & it was only $80 a week. Now I have moved into a granny flat & still only pay $100 a week so still cheaper than living at home.

HOLY CRAP !!! you sure your not adopted ? maybe your sister is being pimped !!! you never know . .
never mind my friend one day they will need your help , i can see some very expensive trips to the doctor coming up , or some very expensive lawn mows , years down the track . just thinking of a nice birthday or anniversary present you might be able to buy them . like perhaps a 2 year monthly subscription contract , where you pay the 1st month for them and they have to cover the other 23 months . HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
I have had a very down day , your post made me smile . its the only smile ive cracked today , thankyou.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parents split up last year, so now I live with my dad and brother. I'm 25. Even before they split I was quite happy to live at home.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't just move out, but generally we get along pretty good. I'm now on the lease, so I pay for half of the rent.

I probably wont move out for another 5 years, or when I feel comfortable to do so.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #46
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

moved at 18
overseas at 21
haven't been back since
own house outright in qld and it's just a holiday house for family up the coast which my father spends 6 months in, he pays the rates.

if you're parents are happy for you to stay there, then do it, but respect it by saving your butt off and being able to get something later on with a great deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #47
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I have had a very down day , your post made me smile . its the only smile ive cracked today , thankyou.
No probs, Its good to hear that someones getting a chuckle out of the story.

I do love my parents & I can see that they were trying to teach me that nothings cheap. But Dad is tighter than Mick Jaggers pants.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #48
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Still home at 22, I simply don't earn enough to move out. Mum did explain that it's pointless moving out to throw 150-250 a week at a rental then put aside money for bills each week and then what? I eat like a horse so there's 50-100 a week there and this barely leaves any money left to save, let alone spend on nice stuff for myself.
That's no kind of life, as you never advance past the rent stage. I'm enrolling in uni next year so I'll be home for 4 years until I finish my degree. Then I'll aim for a high paying job and a nice chunky mortgage!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #49
ED Ford Falcon

Moved out at 13yo, 19 now. Only seen my mum several times since then.
Old 27-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #50
aussieford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Ford Falcon
Moved out at 13yo, 19 now. Only seen my mum several times since then.
**** nice going, where did you live when you were 13? I moved out at 18, spent a couple of a months back there moving between flats etc. but definitely couldn't move back, like my parents but living at home suuucks
aussieford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
aussieford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_wagon
I was living at home until I was 30, managed to pay CASH outright for my 1st house. It's hard to save up if you pay rent.
True, but I'd happily pay $200 a week for total freedom
aussieford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #52
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

24 and still at home. At the moment, my parents need help with the bills and mortgage repayments, also won't be able to afford moving out.
Old 27-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

How the hell do people get to save for a house outright by 30? Do you guys not enjoy your teens? Go travelling etc?

I know everyone views life differently, different goals etc but these days your entry level to a house is what, $350k...you must eat 2 minute noodles 3 times a day.

Kudos to you, but wow, dont know how you did that. Like I said I have my deposit ready to go, but there is not a hope in hell I would have 100% of the funds ready, I was happy getting 10-15% ready. A couple of kids doesnt help but still.

I also dont understand how kids these days ride around in FG's and VE's, do you get loans for that? I remember forking over $6k for my first car and even that was pretty good in 2000. Id be damned paying off a new car while it depreciates like a mofo.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
ED Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieford
**** nice going, where did you live when you were 13? I moved out at 18, spent a couple of a months back there moving between flats etc. but definitely couldn't move back, like my parents but living at home suuucks
Lived at a local caravan park for about 1 year?, then up to Qld with a mate for approx 2.5 years, then I lived with a girl I met in her mums caravan out the back of her acreage property near Lithgow, I am now living at West Euabalong (Western NSW).

Your right, living with the rents suuucks.
Old 27-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Moved out of home at 20 into a friends granny flat for 12 months. Got married at 22. Rented a house for 18months after that, moved in with in laws after that and have lived with them for the past 10+ years. (health reasons mainly) Now in the process of building my own home with them and haven't been in a better financial situation as we plan on having a tiny mortgage on the house.

Since moving out of my parents place, I have been given higher respect from them as they doubted I could do it. That being said, I wouldn't recommend moving in with in laws unless there is a good reason for it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #56
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived at home until I was 21. I bought my house and moved into it.

I am still currently there.

If I was to do it again, I would have stayed home for longer and saved more $$.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
bingoTE50
Steve

Parents sold the house and moved when I was eighteen , I had to find somewhere else as they moved 300k's away. So they sort of moved out on me !
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #58
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Moved out when I was 20….for 6 months, moved back in with mum and dad until they moved to Tasmania the start of this year. Moved out with my missus at the time (big mistake, shoulda got separate places). So yeah, still living out of home, only member of my family on the mainland now.

I’d be living at home now if I had a choice, I enjoyed it…not because it was easy, but for the company…I really miss coming home after work and having a yarn with mum and dad when I walk in the door. Now I just talk to myself a lot.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #59
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

23 with no plans of moving yet! haha Its just ridiculously expensive in Sydney and mums an awesome cook - and I live on 10 acres on the Hawkesbury now. We moved in April this year was thinking of moving out but not anymore! I love where I live, 10 acres of fields, 800m of water front, Speed boat sprint and ski races every couple of months, camping, fresh air, stars
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

22. Would have been earlier if it weren't for me wanting to save up phat stax