Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #31
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A similar thing happened to my cousins BF XL 5 speed manual ute. The gearbox fell out of the car as he was going around a corner. Ford wouldn't cover it, blamed driver abuse and my cousin had to pay the bill. I've known him all my life and he's one of the most sensible drivers, and the ute was 100% stock.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #32
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Disgusting. I don't think its fuel prices hurting fords sales, its this garbage handed to the new car owners.
who'd seriously hand over their hard earned to a company that has and will most probably shaft you in the most likely event of you needing some assistance to rectify problems with a vehicle that should have NONE.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #33
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Dont waste energy getting upset. Take this through a fair trading tribunal, I once (about 1997?) had a 1986 CR125 (obviously not a road vehicle) repaired after taking the dealer through this process. I just had to show up in Sydney and convince someone it was not "right".

They will fix it. NRMA resports were a great way or influencing repairs, but now you will have to use an independant inspector as NRMA no longer provide the service.

I got between $3000 and $4000 in work done on a 93,XXX k ex police XR6T you really need to stand your ground and make sure they understand you are not going away.
Old 21-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #34
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Lets see pics of the damaged parts before we all get uptight at how unfortunate he is.
And for that matter if you are going to try fair trading or anything like that you will need the pics and an engineers report anyway.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #35
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been through this exact same situation, multiple times.

What you need to do is talk with the warranty manager and the head service manager. Tell them the scenario leading up to the let go of the clutch. Explain that the ute has only done 4500km and that they has see that by looking at the tyres/brakes etc they'll surely see that the car has not been abused.

Next..... Call Ford customer care regardless of the response you get from the dealer on 13FORD. Explain your situation to them. Notes are taken, it's all logged with times and dates and make sure you give them the names of the dealership staff you've spoken with.

Now..... Leave it for Ford customer care and the dealership to discuss your case and they'll get back to you with a response as to what they propose to do/not do to fix it. Only after this, would i look ate involving an outside party eg. fair trading etc. It's much easier to deal internally if you can. If you're not satisfied with the outcome, keep puching higher within the dealership/ customer care until you get a response thats suitable.

And 1 thing to be aware of, i had clutch dramas with mine, and Ford simply said i was expecting too much of the car and what i was expecting of it was outside normal driving conditions. Clutch problems are one of the hardest to prove and fight an most car makers don't warrant them for any amount of km because they can be so easily abused and destroyed.
In short, all Ford need to do is claim that you'd tried to rip a screaming burnout and been slipping the clutch instead of spinning the wheels and blown the clutch. I saw it happen to a GTP and it was insane how easily and quickly it happened and the consequences were brutal. Or could say you had been driving long distances with your foot resting on the clutch and had been slipping and heated up and let go. Very hard one to get on warranty.

But don't give up. Persist, persist and persist. Document your contact, and don't take no for an answer.
I got 4 diffs in my warranty period from persistance and going through the right channels.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #36
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I got 4 diffs in my warranty period from persistance and going through the right channels.
It sounds to me like you are an example of why others have so much trouble getting warranty claims through... perhaps you could elaborate further, with evidence?
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 02:10 AM   #37
TaraHymen

once u go to the media u forfeit any legal stregth u may have. i would've thought that at the end of the day, ford have to prove driver abuse, not u prove cotton wool treatment.

yes it did happen in wa, more than once that i can confirm as a mate of mine works for centre ford. the first one it took the owner alot of shitstirring and shouting to get ford to fix it after 10 months and the second one caught fire so the insurance company took care of it.

PM me an email address and i'll send you a heap of photos of the damage the first one did. it wrecked everything from the windscreen to the abs to the engine block. there's a lot of photos and they're relatively big so i cant post them up here.

Last edited by TaraHymen; 22-08-2007 at 02:16 AM.
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #38
red_hotxr6
Banned

It might cost a couple hundred but i would go and have someone else look at it and let them tell you what happened.Also if the car is second hand maybe the previous owner thrashed it??
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #39
TaraHymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
It might cost a couple hundred but i would go and have someone else look at it and let them tell you what happened.Also if the car is second hand maybe the previous owner thrashed it??
secondhand?? it's got 4500 k's on it
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #40
winovin

Is it possible the on board computer logs data? e.g. I know some makers log when you hit the redline. Could this be the basis for claiming "abuse"? It could be a 1-time event that leads Ford to say the warranty is invalid?
winovin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #41
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
secondhand?? it's got 4500 k's on it
Oh sorry i didnt realise new cars came down with 4500klms on them, how much did you pay for the NEW car?
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #42
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winovin
Is it possible the on board computer logs data? e.g. I know some makers log when you hit the redline. Could this be the basis for claiming "abuse"? It could be a 1-time event that leads Ford to say the warranty is invalid?
Contrary to what you think Ford are not out to bend everyone over. But there will be cases of abuse, and yes the ECU logs.

Was the ECU edited? IIRC they can even tell that now.

I would be asking for proof of the "abuse", and what defines it in the first place. And as I said before, if he genuinely hasn't been flogging that crap out of it to the point of "abuse" and hasn't edited it then other components should be fine, which would then show that there was no "abuse".

Do you have a witness to say it went on the freeway while at 100kph? Or atleast a tow truck company to back up your pick up point?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #43
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by winovin
Bingo.
The ECU and BCM computers log thousands of algorithms which include everything from injector pulse timing, rpm, throttle position, temperatures, traction control being switched off, ABS module usage etc. Basically, if it is electronic, the car records historical data of the event. This is why it is plugged into the star tester at ford which checks for any faults that occurred between services, so that ford can pro actively find faults and repair them before they become a major issue or break down. I was at Jubilee Ford when someone with an XR6T came in on a tow truck with a blown gearbox and damage, they plugged the car in and found his driving style. They then advised him that Ford would most likely decline the warranty for the fact that it had been abused. I told him to get a solicitor. In the end he lost and actually the car ended up at a Pickles salvage auction in Moorebank.

From a legal standpoint, we have heard one side of the argument and there are several other mitigating factors that would likely determine the outcome. I'd wait before decding who's at fault here, and to give you some perspective NSW police regularly thrash their vehicles and are only afforded a 6 month limited warranty that does not cover major components subject to extreme stresses ie gearboxes, diffs and engines.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #44
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Bingo.
The ECU and BCM computers log thousands of algorithms which include everything from injector pulse timing, rpm, throttle position, temperatures, traction control being switched off, ABS module usage etc. Basically, if it is electronic, the car records historical data of the event. This is why it is plugged into the star tester at ford which checks for any faults that occurred between services, so that ford can pro actively find faults and repair them before they become a major issue or break down. I was at Jubilee Ford when someone with an XR6T came in on a tow truck with a blown gearbox and damage, they plugged the car in and found his driving style. They then advised him that Ford would most likely decline the warranty for the fact that it had been abused. I told him to get a solicitor. In the end he lost and actually the car ended up at a Pickles salvage auction in Moorebank.

From a legal standpoint, we have heard one side of the argument and there are several other mitigating factors that would likely determine the outcome. I'd wait before decding who's at fault here, and to give you some perspective NSW police regularly thrash their vehicles and are only afforded a 6 month limited warranty that does not cover major components subject to extreme stresses ie gearboxes, diffs and engines.
Does the ecu log time and date of this abuse?

I ask this because I have seen the service mechanics out "testing" cars,a friend also works at a well known Holden dealer in western Sydney,and the abuse the cars get during "testing" would shock most..

This would be my line of attack if I had this problem and was shown an ecu had logged "abuse"..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #45
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Yes they do log date and time, but they can and are often reset by the same tester/interface.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #46
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
yes it did happen in wa, more than once that i can confirm as a mate of mine works for centre ford. the first one it took the owner alot of shitstirring and shouting to get ford to fix it after 10 months and the second one caught fire so the insurance company took care of it.
There was more to that one..... plus from memory, it was a BA MKII and had not had the TSB done for the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Does the ecu log time and date of this abuse?

I ask this because I have seen the service mechanics out "testing" cars,a friend also works at a well known Holden dealer in western Sydney,and the abuse the cars get during "testing" would shock most..

This would be my line of attack if I had this problem and was shown an ecu had logged "abuse"..
From memory, it does not log times. But can be cleared by the dealer.

So, put 2 and 5 together..... they might take it for a thrash... but the smart ones clear the log before handing the keys back.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Everything from AU2 does log date and times I've witnessed

Quote: