Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: Open air subwoofer

Well. Sub turned up and I put it in. (I'll post pics tomorrow)

For $30, I'm quite suprised. I'm obviously not going to win any SPL contests but it goes very well for what it is, a $30 paper cone, woofer.

Perfect for what I listen to as it adds just the right amount of kick to my heavy metal haha.

The build quality of it looks decent too.

Either way, I'm happy. Would recommend.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #32
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

http://imgur.com/LOy1y

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I put one of the jaycar subs in as well, if reversing polarity of factory sub made a gain this one improves on that by a similar amount. Well worth 30 bucks anyway.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #34
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys when you say improvement, do you mean only at high volume or at all volume levels? i.e. I find that the bass with stock BA premium sound has weaker bass at low volume (no kick just booming) and at high volume it distorts...
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

A good aftermarket sub will give you gains across the board.

The factory one isn't very efficient (a low dB/W figure), so needs more power (volume) to work, but because its got a crappy cone design, it'll distort when being fed high volumes.

The factory amp isn't anything special either, but it's sufficient when a better speaker is used.

The only thing premium about the factory setup is the price Ford charge for it.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thinking I might have to go for a walk down to Jaycar without the Mrs knowing
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I think they are now worth 40 bucks haha.

I have been doing more research - I will be buying a DLS 08A or Kicker CVR8-4 for myself over the christmas break, dynamatting the parcel shelf (in an attempt to seal off as much of the boot from the cabin as possible) and seeing how they go - a lot of Commodore and overseas Altima guys have gone down this path with good results.

The Jaycar one will not rattle the kindneys however I am not disappointed in it for the dollars spent. I listen to most songs at Volume 18 and it's good, even at 14 it's still an improvement. You dont notice the difference between it and a factory one IMO much below these volumes. I have the bass turned almost all the way up, and the 80hz? gain almost at full in the equalizer at the ICC.

this was well worth a read

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...n-hx2-cvr.html

I wonder why the factory amp puts out in RMS on the FG?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #38
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill be getting the kenwood tomorrow for my Mk2 FG G6E, ill let u all know how it goes!
jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
Colbs90
Starter Motor

Sorry to revive an old post but has anyone had any luck recently getting the Kenwood KFC-XW800F? I'm in Perth and these seem really rare. Also if anyone has, was the install relatively simple? I know the shelf trim will have to be removed but I'm a bit worried bout the wiring etc. I'm by no means experienced at this so if it's not a simple 'connect the plugs' job, is it advisable to get a pro to do it?

Trying to replace the factory one, but not having much luck! Frustrating haha
Colbs90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
AU Mont
Banned

i tried fitting an aftermarket sub in the 8" parcel shelf hole, and all it did was rattle the living **** out of the parcel shelf, and in general just sounded horrible.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
Colbs90
Starter Motor

Was it difficult to fit? I know it's probably a basic question but I haven't done anything like this before. Don't want to make things worse. Yeah rattling seem to be an issue with a few people. It didn't seem too bad with the factory one so fingers crossed with the new one it's not unbearable :/
Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my kenwood was very easy to fit and no rattle on the shelf at all, sounds great!
jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #43
Colbs90
Starter Motor

Good to hear. I might have a chance at installing this thing then haha. I'm hoping to get one, although it seems pretty rare. Looking like RYDA or ebay is the only way to go.

Last edited by Colbs90; 06-06-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbs90 View Post
It didn't seem too bad with the factory one so fingers crossed with the new one it's not unbearable :/
Thats the thing, the factory one sounder sweet

Then fitted aftermarket headunit and couldnt get the factory amp to turn on, so fitted new amp & sub with more power and sounded horrible
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
i tried fitting an aftermarket sub in the 8" parcel shelf hole, and all it did was rattle the living **** out of the parcel shelf, and in general just sounded horrible.
This is where Dynamat comes in, a few sheets of that stuff and no rattling, and the sub sounds great.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post