Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How long do you expect holden to make commodores in aus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Unfortunately the current Commodore is a dead in the water. GM will not allow GMH export markets that potentially eat into US exports (not to mention our dollar for the 10 millionth time). There is already a back lash in the states with the Chev SS not being made in the US, along with a verbal commitment from Detroit that the next one will be. Local volumes of large cars aren't enough to justify continuing production.

I don't want to be negative, but I can't see it lasting.

The Camry/Aurions are global cars where the engineering, design, testing were done in Japan and all the cost's associated with it are atomized globally, yes there was local tuning, but most good Auto makers do local tuning. It doesn't cost Toyota Australia anywhere near as much to make a Camry as it does Holden a Commodore (and they still made a loss), scary stuff for the Auto Industry.
A) define back lash for me
B) Please point in the direction of referenece material I can read to learn about this back lash??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
A) define back lash for me
B) Please point in the direction of referenece material I can read to learn about this back lash??
A) I assume you know what back lash and are trying to be smart.
B) When the SS way launch in the US, Mark Reuss was peppered with question from the auto media in the US as to why this model isn't locally made. With the follow up response being the next one will be made in the US. I read it as the same time it was released. I will genuinely try to post the link tomorrow for you.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A) I assume you know what back lash and are trying to be smart.
B) When the SS way launch in the US, Mark Reuss was peppered with question from the auto media in the US as to why this model isn't locally made. With the follow up response being the next one will be made in the US. I read it as the same time it was released. I will genuinely try to post the link tomorrow for you.
So a few questions from the none buying media equal a back lash? Let’s wait for the thing to go on sale, before we start throwing the word "bash lash" around. Just my opinion!! It only has to sell in small numbers by US Sales terms to equal to big numbers in Australia production terms
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

double post.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
I don’t agree.

I consider Camry & Commodore to be competing for the same market (despite what some sales report classes them as). Camry lives with a large export market & a strong local one, why can’t the Commodore? There is no reason why Commodore can't be around for 100 years!!
Couldnt be further from the truth - Camry is competing against Toyota abroad, not Commodore and not Falcon.
Business cases are no longer wholly established on market share, but more so cost margins of available global facilities under the same umbrella, govt assistance programs etc.
Our last Australian Monaro was a unique product with its own market- a true niche vehicle which sold in droves for its market base. It was killed off why ?
Please dont tell me due to platform !
Commodore is finished and its fate was sealed by the 'inhouse dissaproval' of its HFV6 plants failing external sales market and its Alloytech V6 engines shortcomings.

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #36
zilo
BANNED

The $AUD is down to 0.95c guys.

Just wait a while longer, imports will soon be more expensive....betcha ..betcha...betcha
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Pretty sure Holden have already announced the VF will be the last AUS engineered RWD Commodore, after VF they will assemble the Malibu and re-badge it as a Commodore.
Malibu launches next week, strong rumor it will have 2.0 diesel as well.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
Couldnt be further from the truth - Camry is competing against Toyota abroad, not Commodore and not Falcon.Business cases are no longer wholly established on market share, but more so cost margins of available global facilities under the same umbrella, govt assistance programs etc.
Our last Australian Monaro was a unique product with its own market- a true niche vehicle which sold in droves for its market base. It was killed off why ?
Please dont tell me due to platform !
Commodore is finished and its fate was sealed by the 'inhouse dissaproval' of its HFV6 plants failing external sales market and its Alloytech V6 engines shortcomings.
Let me rephrase... Camry & Commodore are competitors in Australia.

Also, you may think Manaro was a unique product, but it was Commodore buyers buying it, so it was by & large competing with the Commodore.
Why was it killed off?? I have no idea!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Let me rephrase... Camry & Commodore are competitors in Australia.

Also, you may think Manaro was a unique product, but it was Commodore buyers buying it, so it was by & large competing with the Commodore.
Why was it killed off?? I have no idea!!
The Monaro was a niche product, GM had no plans to build it at first, but the public reaction was so great that they built it in limitted numbers and had a halo vehicle.
Coupes dont get repeat business in Aus.

Last edited by MethodX; 05-06-2013 at 09:50 PM.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #40
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Not even in Australia are they competitors.

On another note, lets say monaro died a tragic death, succumbed to the persuasive evil forces GM, US Govt, US Auto Workers Union and finally Comaro.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be a change of Gov. in September . Penalty rates abolished . We could compete with Thailand for about $1.50 Per / Hr .
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #42
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Might be a change of Gov. in September . Penalty rates abolished . We could compete with Thailand for about $1.50 Per / Hr .
Whilst they all agree to award themselves a 50k pa pay rise

Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #43
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hate the double standards of some people on this forum. Holden has confirmed NOTHING about the next all new Commodore (other than there will be one & it will be a global plant form). "We" as Ford fans did not like what others tried to joint dots about the Falcon, so don’t do it Commodore. For all we know Commodore could continue on as a global RWD plant form, just like it is today.

As Australians, lets hope there is no "used by" date & they continue to build them forever!!
Your right. The only difference between Holden with the commodore and Ford with the Falcon is that Ford have confirmed that local production will cease October 2016. I will put my house on it that the same will be the case for Holden and Toyota by year end. Toyota will be last cause they can afford the losses most.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
If however the large car segment continues to shrink, better they start making something else and keep the production staff employed.
Hummmm...they do...Not a large car though....It's called a Cruze....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post