Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #31
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia has a vast array of nice tasting wine

You just have to travel alot to ensure you get a good blend of what you as an individual like

I prefer to try and match the wine to the food i eat

Working for an italian food and wine importer some 5 years ago has made me more familiar with the stuff good and bad

Im getting married at a vineyard, whichmount i beleive its called

It won the best shiraz 2004 vintage in france, a pretty tuff feat for any nation
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #32
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember guys and girls, try to avoid getting wine flu the next day!

I do like the fact though that emminently drinkable vino in the Chianti in Tuscany is cheaper in the Coop supermarcato's than a similar size bottle of coke. Nice.

Closer to home, check out Tallavera Grove in Mount View on the edge of the Hunter Vally. Awesome shiraz (it is the Hunter) and semillion. Also have some cold climate vines near Orange for some very sice SSB blends etc.

The cellar door is fantastic and is higher up on the mountain, the microclimate of which gives a bit of distinction to their range. The view back over to Cessnock and Pokolbin is very tuscan too.
Old 24-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Right. This last little wine expedition on the weekend has left me with a little conundrum. I have no more space in my poxy little wine rack. I want a bigger, funky one, preferably one that is made out of a wine barrel. What do you blokes use?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #34
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

cedar, about 100 years old, holds 48 bottles. Hehe, my great gramps made it
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #35
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Right. This last little wine expedition on the weekend has left me with a little conundrum. I have no more space in my poxy little wine rack. I want a bigger, funky one, preferably one that is made out of a wine barrel. What do you blokes use?
A wine glass to help empty out the rack.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #36
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
cedar, about 100 years old, holds 48 bottles. Hehe, my great gramps made it
pics plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
A wine glass to help empty out the rack.
We're working on it. But still need a decent rack.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #37
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought the wife a wine rack a while ago. It was just a plain pine rack which holds about 48 bottles. I just sanded it back and stained it myself. Does the trick.
All the rest of the wine is just scattered around the house in cupboards and under beds.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
Paxton
Cobblers!

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to sample a lovely Australian Sauvignon Blanc, by Kingston Estate. From the Adelaide Hills, it wasn't as sickly as some of the New Zealand Whites, but was balanced, and my Wife even commented that it was better than the mass produced Giesen and Villa Maria Sauvignon Blancs that you can get cheap now. If I wanted White wine, I'm still partial to a nice Chardonnay, but the Aussie Sav Blancs are getting much better.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #39
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well, we are spending 4 glorious days in the Hunter this weekend. Looking forward to sampling and guzzling some more wine. Will be looking for that Tallavera Grove now...
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #40
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Well, we are spending 4 glorious days in the Hunter this weekend. Looking forward to sampling and guzzling some more wine. Will be looking for that Tallavera Grove now...
Make sure you head to the Hope Estate (formerly Rothbury's). Their Shiraz is excellent, and their '06 Merlot is stunning.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #41
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
but the Aussie Sav Blancs are getting much better.
Trying not to tout the wife's wares too much but have you tried the St Hallett Poacher's Blend? Sem, Sav Blanc with a twist of Riesling. A very good summer wine that one.
Not too much of a Cardonnay fan myself. Too much oak. Prefer the Rieslings and Sav Blancs.
Old 25-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #42
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of the wife's work, they had a bit too much time on their hands on Friday afternoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjq9bNQ4O4
This little video is going to be used to promote their Gamekeeper's Reserve wine over in the UK.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #43
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Trying not to tout the wife's wares too much but have you tried the St Hallett Poacher's Blend? Sem, Sav Blanc with a twist of Riesling. A very good summer wine that one.
Not too much of a Cardonnay fan myself. Too much oak. Prefer the Rieslings and Sav Blancs.
Rieslings are too sweet for me, which explains why I'm not a fan of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.

I'll have to have a look out for the St. Hallet's however, as it is starting to warm up in Sydney, and long afternoon Barbeques are just around the corner.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #44
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poachers would probably be too sweet then as well.
Old 25-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #45
Wally
XP Coupe

Seeing as I'm not a wino, but I'm hosting a 1970's party next month I guess some of you lot could steer me in the right direction for:

Port (Stanton and Kileen?)
Pearl fizzy wine?
Muscatel?

I have a few old 70's/60's Hermitage, Cabs, etc stashed away which should be well and truely spoiled by now.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #46
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
stashed away which should be well and truely spoiled by now.
Bring them out when people are drunk. They won't be able to tell.
As for your other question, sorry, can't help there.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Rieslings are too sweet for me, which explains why I'm not a fan of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.
You've been trying the wrong rieslings my friend... _2:

Most good Australian riesling these days are made in the bone dry, acidic style which is suitable for long term ageing if that's your thing. Personally, I love a brisk, acidic riesling with fresh seafood. Clare and Eden valley are top notch spots for riesling. If you've had ones that are a touch sweet, I'd guess that they were from geographic areas that are a bit too warm for ideal riesling conditions. Too warm = grapes ripen too much = residual sugar.

Off the top of my head, good producers include Seppelt Drumborg; Leo Buring; Petaluma; Grosset; Pikes; Richmond Grove Watervale; Mesh; and a variety of others.

Good riesling isn't cheap. You can pay $50 for a Grosset or Seppelt Drumborg, but most good ones are in the $18-30 range which is still good value compared with top notch chardonnay which is often 2 to 3 times that price. The old maxim still holds true......you get what you pay for.

If you're struggling with over-oaked chardonnay, then unfortunately I'd advise keeping clear of the mass produced cheap stuff. Usually, sub $15 chardonnay is pretty ordinary, and loaded with oak to mask the poor fruit quality. Awesome chardonnay is made all over the place, with special mention to Margaret River, Yarra Valley, Adelaide Hills, and Mornington Peninsula. Again, avoid the 'hotter' climates which usually lead to a heavier, riper, oak-driven style. A good producer will produce a chardonnay that has lovely fresh fruit on the palate, combined with barely noticeable oak and great complexity of flavour.

PS. Don't drink good riesling or chardonnay too cold. If its too cold, the fruit flavour is masked, and all you taste is oak or acid. Not good. Let it warm in the glass a bit.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #48
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

Most good Australian riesling these days are made in the bone dry, acidic style which is suitable for long term ageing if that's your thing. Personally, I love a brisk, acidic riesling with fresh seafood. Clare and Eden valley are top notch spots for riesling. If you've had ones that are a touch sweet, I'd guess that they were from geographic areas that are a bit too warm for ideal riesling conditions. Too warm = grapes ripen too much = residual sugar.

Off the top of my head, good producers include Seppelt Drumborg; Leo Buring; Petaluma; Grosset; Pikes; Richmond Grove Watervale; Mesh; and a variety of others.

Good riesling isn't cheap. You can pay $50 for a Grosset or Seppelt Drumborg, but most good ones are in the $18-30 range which is still good value compared with top notch chardonnay which is often 2 to 3 times that price. The old maxim still holds true......you get what you pay for.

If you're struggling with over-oaked chardonnay, then unfortunately I'd advise keeping clear of the mass produced cheap stuff. Usually, sub $15 chardonnay is pretty ordinary, and loaded with oak to mask the poor fruit quality. Awesome chardonnay is made all over the place, with special mention to Margaret River, Yarra Valley, Adelaide Hills, and Mornington Peninsula. Again, avoid the 'hotter' climates which usually lead to a heavier, riper, oak-driven style. A good producer will produce a chardonnay that has lovely fresh fruit on the palate, combined with barely noticeable oak and great complexity of flavour.

PS. Don't drink good riesling or chardonnay too cold. If its too cold, the fruit flavour is masked, and all you taste is oak or acid. Not good. Let it warm in the glass a bit.

Brent.
Wally - Everyone got drunk for the first time on Passion Pop. You can't go wrong with a bottle or three, each. Just make sure you have been drinking first, as it doesn't taste too good if you are sober.

Brent - I was brought up on, or, my Mum used to drink Hardy's Sigersdorf. God that was awful. I must admit to not venturing too far outside of my comfort zone when it comes to wine, but I will try and make an effort to get into a proper Australian Riesling, and moved away into earthy reds, and fruity Chardonnays. My ideal red is a Merlot, probably from Orange, or the Barossa. When Summer arrives, I'll get back into some proper Whites. Nothing beats a slightly chilled White on a Hot Summer afternoon.
Old 26-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #49
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

I can never understand the insistence of the winemaker to foul the wine with oak.
Damn, I want to taste the grape not some old steenky piece of driftwood.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #50
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

Brent.
Brent, I agree with paxton in part that the rieslings are a little sweet, maybe not in residual sugar but the riesling fruit has a sweeter, less crisp fruit to say the chardonnay. It leaves a sweeter impression on the palate; but I do love them.
Have you tried some of the rieslings and chardonnays from Tasmania? The cooler climate there lends itself to some fantastic whites, and they are just starting to experiment with some pinot's too. Bundaleera 2005 pinot is not cheap at about $60/bottle but the taste is intense to say the least, check it out if you get the chance. They also produce some fantastic sparklings down there, Taltarni, Pepik, and Josef Chromy but to name a few.

As for chardonnay with Oak, I can't stand it without it. Unoaked I find to be far too young and fruity, I want a little complexity and not just a fruit drink. I picked up a case of Sandalford 1993 reserve chardonnay and it's frightfully good. I was going to age it but sadly I have only one bottle left.

Qwiksix I have tried several of the US wines, invariably I always find myself going to the Australian wine section in US supermarkets as opposed to anything they have. Don't get me wrong, they do have some palatable stuff but it tends to have a buttery complexity; sort of like how everything in America tends to be either deep fried or offer "cheese with that".

Quote: