Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fines for Cyclists to Triple in NSW.

an Idiot is an idiot whether they drive or ride, we just have to look how many illegal acts are posted or bragged about on social media by so called "car enthusiasts"

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 23-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #32
elgt146
315-TUF

Simple fact is both cars & bikes and other vehicles such as tractors, cranes, scooters, mopeds all share roadways of varying types.

No matter what your position in any vehicle you are required to ride, drive to the conditions and be aware of your surroundings.

Idiots come in all forms whether wearing lycra or a HSV shirt.

Just be patient and accepting of what is on the road and adapt to it.

Pretty easy really.
Old 23-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #33
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Look people, just don't be c&8ts and all is good and nobody needs to get all wound up. Seriously, there is a lot more stuff day to day to get wound up about than if a cyclist causes you three-seconds of delay in your commuter. For god sake, grow up.
Ironically, this is probably the most wound up post in the thread so far...
Old 23-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #34
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
...and conversely too many motorists need to be sensible about how they drive. Too many aren't. ;)
Of course, goes without saying.
But, this thread is about cyclists.
Quote:
For what it's worth any 'solution' or 'debate' which pursues the us and them policy is doomed. Absolutely no progress will be made and no opinions will be changed.
I think there will always be an 'us and them' attitude until 'they' are properly accountable and pay their way.
At this point in time giving them the same or more rights to car drivers is just wrong, and I'm sure that side of it frustrates a lot of car drivers, and rightly so.
Old 23-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #35
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcLGDCiz0I

Here is another version that shows the lead up. It clearly shows the cyclist riding in the middle of the road deliberately impeding the flow of traffic. The car went completely over the lines to overtake him yet this is deemed too close? Whatever.
You win.

You obviously have a very strong one sided stance on the issue of cyclists and motorists.

Personally I would never get myself into an upset with a cyclist in the first place as I would show some tolerance and even if he didn’t deserve it I still wouldn’t dangerously swerve close in front of him using my car as a weapon of intimidation.

Because of that there no sympathy for the car driver from me.
Old 23-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess higher fines are a good thing. Can't really get demerit points for breaking this rules, so a decent fine is a good idea.

What I find funny is when road bike cyclists chasing the strava leaderboards get angry at slow bike riders and pedestrians on shared pathways. Probably the same people who get upset when a car beeps them for going too slow.

The fernleigh track crosses my street and passes by the bush land I like to ride in. I have seen some idiots over the years.
Old 23-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #37
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I know there are dick cyclists around but I wouldn’t say that makes them typical.

All I saw in that video was a cyclist who was entitled to be on the road getting annoyed because he was being harassed by big tough impatient car drivers.
What? He got overtaken (at least one of the overtakes looked entirely legal) - how is that being harassed. That cyclist is lucky not to fall (or be knocked) off his bike the way he was swerving all over the shop.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 23-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

As soon as a thread for cyclists comes up, I do the usual eye roll and 'here we go again' sigh. It ALWAYS leads to crap with this subject. ALWAYS!!!

I don't care how high they fine cyclists. I am one of them (a cyclist), but I am far more ready to abide by the law on a bike than I am in the car. Why? Because it's my life if I am to try and prove a point of self entitlement even if I am in the right or wrong.

Who is going to come off second best when a car doesn't look when entering a street? Who is going to come off second best when a car misjudges your speed down a road and thinks they can cut you off in time to turn left to save 0.0001 second of their time? This happens to me all the time. Why? Due to drivers feeling entitled.

My point is, I am far more cautious and respectful on the bike, even allowing cars to pass even if I have the right of way if it means peace and my safety. You can't get fined for being MORE safe. Showing a wave of courtesy goes a long way too if you feel like you have held someone up over a bridge for instance. I do this every time.

As for riders who just flout the law, then its only a matter of time before they are collected. I have often experienced riders who are so self conceited because they have a 15k bike and look down on anyone not in a $800 cycling kit, they also have no regard to pedestrians, other cars or anyone else. On the other hand there are some clowns on a $50 cash converters special who ride on the opposite side of the road with no helmet that get my goat also. Yes I see it ALL THE TIME. So fine away to get these idiots to listen.

That said, please tell me where do I sign for a rego number and where can I pay my road fees if it means we stop the whinging and dummy spitting.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

This thread will last a lot longer if we can please get rid of the them and us 'I saw a video, my friends mate's mother knows someone who....' type of posts.

Looking on the net you'll find a lot of idiot cyclists. Along with a lot of idiot car, motorbike and Truck drivers.
No one wants to post any law abiding courteous Drivers video's or riders as they're boring and couldn't be used as ammunition in discussions such as this.

Please stick to commenting on the topic of what you think of Fines for Cyclists to Triple in NSW.
Old 23-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #40
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As has been mentioned, unless they can actually ID the cyclist, and prosecute them, it doesn't matter if the fine is $30, $300 or $30,000

Rather than increasing the fines, why not have some sort of ID requirement on bikes ridden by those over 18. I'm not saying pay a big annual rego - just a once-off registration of a bike, for the cost of a standardised sticker or plate arrangement.

You simply won't get the ID of the no-conscience rider if they have caused damage, and can make good their escape, as I posted over a year ago in a similar controversial thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=22

There's a minority who do the wrong thing (from all camps) and nothing about these new fine increases would have helped in my situation where a pig-headed individual caused over $800 damage to my car because of his almighty self-entitled attitude problem. He may well have been carrying ID on him, but there was no way he was going to show it to me. (story quoted below).

This has fixed nothing. The same thing will still occur - they will simply refuse to show ID and ride off, knowing that nobody can give chase on foot or in a car, and catch them.

Being able to positively ID the owner of the bike (like you can for a registered vehicle), at least has some chance of getting to the rider and making them responsible for the damage that they caused - even if the bike's owner has to sign a stat dec to say who else was riding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarDave View Post
Bicycles used on public roads should be taxed, insured and pay registration like the rest of us. They should also wear number plates so they can be filmed and reported just like truck drivers.
Exactly.

I am a victim of an elitist minority cyclist. He pulled up at the lights, and because his feet were clipped into the pedals, leant on the car beside me. The driver of that car took offence, and bunny hopped the car on the spot, toppling Lycra wonderboy. He put a few small hail-like dents and a heap of scratches in the bonnet & front guard as he came down on our car.

I got out to see if he was ok, and ask for details to fix the damage, I was told to get ******, and he promptly got back on and rode off, cutting through a through a nearby park. Had no chance of catching him.

Cops can't do anything, and don't want to know. I'm up for an decent repair bill, or an insurance excess and loss of no claim bonus.

I would not be the only one who has had my car damaged by an ******* minority like this.

Some sort of ID or rego would have enabled the damage to be fixed under insurance, with the at-fault person footing the bill.
Old 23-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #41
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

These laws are already in Qld, the same things said here said in every paper at the start of the year...Police tried to charge 1 or 2 people on helmet cam evidence from cyclists but most charges thrown out. Now it has all calmed down, BUT if you clip/hit a cyclist it is obvious that you were not 1m away and charges will stick, failing any other evidence to say it was the bikes fault.

The main problems now are people suddenly stopping as they wont go past a cyclist unless they can swerve totally into the other lane, despite there being 3m of clear space...and the cyclists still riding on hilly dangerous skinny roads...they are banned on freeways in the city and they should be banned from these dangerous range crossings as well.
Old 23-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #42
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Of course, goes without saying.
But, this thread is about cyclists.

I think there will always be an 'us and them' attitude until 'they' are properly accountable and pay their way.
At this point in time giving them the same or more rights to car drivers is just wrong, and I'm sure that side of it frustrates a lot of car drivers, and rightly so.

Well if it's about cyclists you do realise that the roads were originally for cyclists and had to be adapted for cars, don't you?
Old 23-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #43
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Well if it's about cyclists you do realise that the roads were originally for cyclists and had to be adapted for cars, don't you?

I'm not sure what your point is here, but roads were used by the horse and cart long before bicycles were even thought of.

Now getting back to the topic...
Old 23-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #44
Boosted8
Banned

I don't get why people can't just chill out and show some patience. I "got stuck" behind a group of lycra-clad cyclists today for about five minutes because there was no safe place to pass them...

Guess what, the world didn't end.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #45
tonys6550

If the tripling of fines towards cyclists doing the wrong thing goes someway in curbing said dangerous behaviour, then I'm all for it. If it creates awareness for other road users and pedestrians alike, then I'm all for it.
But the ingrained intolerance, impatience and hatred between all types of modes of transport requires a lot more than a monetary penalty in my opinion.
Education is the key but unfortunately there's always that minority, the oxygen thieves with an intellect of a rock that somehow have a licence to kill drive to contend with.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #46
Sioso
irregular member

It's not so much where or how they ride that bothers me, it's more the lycra that I find offensive.
And this is going to sound sexist but on the women it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #47
Falcman0o7
Banned

GOOD!!!! Some are rude ****** that think they have more rights than us. They are nothing but a traffic hazard.
Old 23-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #48
Grom13

Law should be if there is no shoulder there should be no bikes period!!
I live in rural vic and have many cyclists on 100km country roads lots bends and double white lines to get round these muppets you take your life in your hands , well over the lines to get round em , if a cattle truck is coming the other way you'd be toast we are forced to risk ourselves our family and other road users to get around these tools . No shoulder no ride SIMPLE
Old 23-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #49
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
What? He got overtaken (at least one of the overtakes looked entirely legal) - how is that being harassed. That cyclist is lucky not to fall (or be knocked) off his bike the way he was swerving all over the shop.
At least one and that’s in a video where only two cars are shown overtaking him and the second one becomes verbally abusive before speeding off.

The first car clearly cuts back in very close to the front of the rider, insanely risky on the driver’s part as far as I’m concerned.

One minor error in judgement and an accident occurs if you could call that type of driving an accident.

I’m not condoning the actions of the fellow on the bike but that is no reason for the driver to become all macho with his car.

When cars and bikes who with a little bit of courtesy should easily be able to coexist on our roads come together, an abundance of morons come out to play as well.

It’s an indictment on selfishness.
Old 23-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #50
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
It's not so much where or how they ride that bothers me, it's more the lycra that I find offensive.
And this is going to sound sexist but on the women it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
What you might not understand is the purpose that it serves... If you rode a bike regularly and did a fair few kilometres on it like most do, then i'm sure you'd be wearing lycra too! As a cyclist myself, I wouldn't wear anything else whilst out riding, it makes that much of a difference! If that's your only complaint then the cyclists in your area must be doing something right

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
Old 23-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #51
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I think fines for cyclists should be a national thing.
why should just the eastern states try to curb the actions of some inappropriate cyclists?

I support the idea of 'share the road', and it should equate to share the responsibilities.

as to the clip of the cyclist and two motorists, the limited footage I saw started with the cyclist deliberately blocking a motorist. The selfishness appeared to begin with the action of the cyclist, however, I don't know what occurred before the film started, so I'm not really in a position to judge.
Old 23-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #52
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be interesting to know if there was an app available or possible for cyclists planning their routes. I am sure many cyclists are unaware of safer alternative routes. They probably tend to follow the same route they are driving their car in. Sure there are some bike ways around but many aren't easy to find and not always suitable for commuting or actually getting somewhere.
Old 23-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #53
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like to ride and when ever I can I avoid roads if a bike path is available. If on a road I ride right on the left and if cars are coming up behind me I move off the road and ride on the dirt/ grass. I don't care what anyone says, roads are for cars, they weigh 1500kg travelling 60ks plus, I weigh 90. I know who will come off second best.
Old 23-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #54
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And there's also the common sense (well, laws of physics) that the cyclist will always come off second best - unfortunately a small minority don't have that sense, and probably won't until it's too late.
Old 23-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #55
tonys6550

Quote:
It's a pity most cyclists don't share this mindset. Their attitude is "I'm entitled to use this road and I don't care who I hold up, so up yours".
Are you for real? Or are you just being argumentative!
Old 23-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #56
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
Are you for real? Or are you just being argumentative!
Not all cyclists are of this view, but there are many who are and unfortunately they taint the lot of us. Technically yes, they are entitled to use the road but why be a knob about it, move over if you can and let the cars go!
Old 23-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #57
Boosted8
Banned

In my experience, the majority of the serious cyclist-haters are in fact nothing more than unfit people that are envious of seeing fit people (cyclists) enjoying life... they wish they were doing the same thing but they know they can't, so they respond by hating them instead.

Flame me if you want but I know it's true.
Old 24-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #58
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rubbish mate, such a thing doesn't even come into the equation for me.

If that were the case then why aren't joggers, football players and various other sports people universally hated?
Universally hated, gee you’ve got some issues.

For most of my adult life I’ve lived and worked overseas and I’d say it was more an Australian thing.

You can produce all the hateful YouTube videos you like to back your argument but as GasOLane has already pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Looking on the net you'll find a lot of idiot cyclists. Along with a lot of idiot car, motorbike and Truck drivers.
No one wants to post any law abiding courteous Drivers video's or riders as they're boring and couldn't be used as ammunition in discussions such as this.
Old 24-12-2015, 03:30 AM   #59
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Yes, universally hated, do you need it spelt out for you?

It's no secret that the general public despises cyclists. Even celebrities have had run ins with them, Shane Warne and Rex Hunt for example.

You are right, I do have issues - Issues with cyclists who do not pay a cent to use the roads, have no form of identification or accountability, break rules to suit themselves, yet think they are the most important people on the road and demand that everyone else bend over backwards to accommodate them. Then they have the nerve to think they can dictate to and lecture motorists about road rules etc.

Why should motorists who are using the road for legitimate purposes be inconvenienced and harassed by some lycra loonies who are using the roads as their own personal recreation and training tracks? You don't see football players training in the middle of the road so why don't cyclists go and use a velodrome if they want to train?

The roads are congested enough as they are and there is simply no room for cyclists on many roads. Cyclists need to get this through their thick heads because their self righteous and entitled attitudes will only continue to breed hate and resentment towards them.

There’s nothing more satisfying then a good old general public despising.

Who hasn’t Shane Warne and Rex Hunt had a run in with?

Not every cyclist is out there training, some use bikes as transport.

The Government is trying to put a system in place to help deal with the lawbreakers on both sides.

Having read this post I believe Loudpipes is only partly right, it not just issues, you're so angry you must have a broken bit.

Old 24-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #60
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
I know that there would be a hell of a lot more people out there who agree with my views than those who don't.
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you, there are a lot of cycling enthusiasts here.

In fact, Australia has one of the best Olympic cycling teams in the world and we also host one of the most highly regarded road events (Tour Down Under).

I will also mention that your complaints about cyclists clogging up our roads only serve as further evidence that there are many cyclists using the public roadways on a regular basis.

Maybe contact VicRoads and ask them if they will build you a bridge... maybe someday you will manage to get over said bridge.

Good morning.
Closed Thread