Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #31
JETME

For a ute: XD/XF ute.....or old skool hilux, very honest cars.

Small car: Laser or corrolla

Larger car: Gota say, a VL Commodore 5speed, or a EA-EB Fairmont/falcon
JETME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #32
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thought about a wagon too mate, theyre good for carting stuff around and you can sleep in em too if your mates want lifts and you have a white falcon i suppose you could always charge a fare, or say just because its white dont mean its a taxi HEHE

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #33
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id go a ute of some sort, maybe a hilux or cruiser, or a ford ute

spend some time to look around, research the cars to know what to look for, shop around for the cheapest, best policy insurance, when buying test the car even if you have to smash the doors closed....in the end its your money

also the ute would mean no giving lifts out = save petrol from scungy friends, but have a seat for the miss's and tray for other stuff ... :P

ive seen some AU utes for the 5-6k dont no what was wrong with them though

good luck

P.S. just because you have a falcon ute (if you do get one) doesnt mean you can speed and race commodores....we need you in one piece

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #34
Longreach

If the fuel economy is such a deal to ya i wouldnt really consider the ute, just get a laser/equivlent.
If you WILL use the ute for work then go it, but if all you do is drive to work and stuff then no point. Only reason ya should consider the ute is if you will have to cart stuff in it often.

Not trying to point you off it, but i went the ute myself 6 months ago, and ye i use it abit. But my desired career path changed and it doesn't get used nearly as much as i would like, which means i'm restricted to having the two seats. Which i also though would be a bonus at first, not having to give lifts etc, end of the day i still find me and just a single mate driving around. I have since found that i wish i had those extra 3 seats, to give me the option to cart more people around. You have Limited lockable space within a ute, which is allright but sometimes ya do actually just run outa room.

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the ute and i'm NOT trying to talk you out of buying one, just weigh up all the options and don't make the mistake i did of not thinking it through propperly.
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #35
PHANTOM XR
PHANTOM

go for a ef, go for a clean one and serviced and u wont have a problem with it.
Old 27-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
Conrad
Banned

Dont get a Brumby, they're bombs. I've known quite a few people that have owned them and they were all pieces of shit. The owners were all quite dissapointed with themselves for buying such a bomb.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #37
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

For a ute,get a 90's model hilux,Ive had 3 and they are the most reliable car of any type ive ever owned.
A falcon ute would be nice but the economy (or lack of it) WILL get tiresome for a young bloke and youll end up selling it at a loss.
Im looking at a first car atm for a female friend,and I think the corolla is the go,you cant go wrong with one of them,they go for ever,are cheap to run,and have a strong resale value.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #38
therufus
Soon-to-be XR6T Owner

Personally, I'd say a Nissan Pulsar 90-96.

Had one, and if I hadn't written it off, I'd still be driving it now.
Old 27-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
Dont get a Brumby, they're bombs. I've known quite a few people that have owned them and they were all pieces of shit. The owners were all quite dissapointed with themselves for buying such a bomb.
It will be after a 17 year old been driveing it....
Liberty is stronger better buy and under $5k...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #40
mUTHA
DALLY 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
how much would a good condition xh ute go for?

around the 9k mark on ave i found

utes for some reason dont depreciate in value as quickyl as sedans, hence why i bought a sedan same performance for less $$. and my mates dont ask for a lift cos i tell em to get ****** and drive off most of the time. or i have a backseat fulla shit

www.perthfalcons.com
mUTHA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #41
turboute
turboute

Get a EF/EL falcon on gas and a trailer - Utes can be a pain in the **** when you want to take your mates out etc.

That being said if you cant fit your mates in there then you wont kill tham if you do something stupid (not saying you will drive like that but most kids do at some stage...)
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #42
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
A 1980's Volvo...First cars always get pranged!!!!!!

ha ...id do that if i had my time again for sure
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #43
ads

Brumby's are slow and getting a bit old, not a good car IMO. Can also be a deathtrap if you stack (or some other dozy bugger hits you), especially for a young driver such as yourself, as good and responsible as you may be.

A laser makes sense, but then so do camrys... not much cred in a laser, unless you get one of the hotter ones. Might be alright in the city but stop off at the pub in Ararat and see what the blokes say.

The falcon ute is the go I reckon, rugged, trady cred, and driving your mates around sucks anyway, if they want to go somewhere they can save up and get their own wheels.

Sedan and wagon are good too.

Fuel economy is an issue but your always prepared for it, you know you have to pay. What really hits home is when you get hit up for $1500 when the head pops. Ouch, and happens more often then it should on falcons. A good idea to keep a grand or two sitting in the bank if possible when you own a car, and that applies to any model, any maker.
ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #44
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow thanks alot guys for all your advise. im finding myself going back and fourth with ideas and even some new ideas are thrown into the group. i really aprreciate the advice and the concerns from members. dw im not one to go reving around like a hoon. im nearly 18 and i havent even finished my hours. im thinking about a car now because im finishing school soon and i want to get a trade as a plumber but if i cant get that soon i will deffinantly be working.
i wish i saved up when i was younger but i didnt listen lol. i really wouldnt mind an ef or an el falcon they look sleek lowerd with some nice wheels. for now i think ill get the job and save. it just helps to know how much i should save for that car.
i dont really want to go over 5 grand though and the liberty sounds good too if i was after a sedan. so many decisions
p.s i changed my mind about having a small car, although they are efficient. after driving with my mate in his i didnt feel too safe and i like the comfort of a large sedan. thanks everyone