Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #31
Cadge

Everyone is saying to do your reseach before you sell... In this case the seller did, albeit an unconvencional way of doing it... By calling the station and talking to the presenter, (who happens to be a car buff) is no different from going down to your local holden club and asking the car buffs there.

If it didnt happen on radio, the buyer wouldnt have made a fuss about it.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
the onus is always on the seller to do their own research before setting a price. a seller should never rely on a buyer to provide this information.

is harvey norman a thief because you can find whitegoods/appliances much cheaper elsewhere?

that said, the presenter did the right thing. as they say, to the buyers, too bad so sad.
there is a saying that some people use "got it for a steal" - it has an amount of relevance

the difference with the harvey norman example is generally when in a certain business, you tend to know the value of your goods

as i put at the start of my post, i see both sides - most of my rant was against the perceived emals or calls the presenter got afterwards. the people venting their frustration at him were wrong in my opinion

i agree with buyer beware and seller beware, but morals should dictate that we do not rip people off. getting a good deal is one thing, but $80,000 - that may be taking things too far. once again, if it went to an enthusiast who would love and cherish the car instead of an opportunist who wanted a quick buck (and the seller was blissfully unaware), then i would not have much problem with it

personally i would think that anyone who says too bad for the seller, would also support those who lie about the quality of things they sell to make more money. buyer beware - seller beware; not much difference is there. however i wonder how many of those saying seller beware would not start a rant on here if they were ripped off when buying a product wrongly described
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
So no one buys from sales because the discount is stealing???
Hardly the same thing, a discount is made deliberately to move the item which usually isn't selling or needs to be sold before new stock comes in. How many of us have had garage sales only to find the collectors, second-hand dealers and bargain hunters waiting outside 1 hour before your advertised start time and hoping to find something that has been undervalued, lol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
personally i would think that anyone who says too bad for the seller, would also support those who lie about the quality of things they sell to make more money. buyer beware - seller beware; not much difference is there.
hardly. in any transaction, the onus is on the seller to represent the goods appropriately, and price them accordingly.

where would you draw the line as a buyer finding something too cheap before informing the seller? 5%? 10%? 20%? 50%?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Announcer did the right thing IMO.

But depends also on the condition of the car, there seems no mention of this, it may well have been completely run down and requiring a full mechanical and body restoration. Not sure what one would pay for an original run down car just because it has matching numbers and history (but thinking again, probably a lot more than $20,000 if the numbers do match).
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

How would the people here feel if you were about to buy the car of your dreams for a 'good price" that otherwise you would never be able to afford and then some third party that has nothing to do with it comes along and talks the seller out of the sale, making him ask for more money, so now you can not afford the car, I bet you would not be happy.

So all the people here being 'high and mighty' if you came across an elderly widow that had this old car in the shed that she wanted to get rid of, it was her husbands,but is too loud and big for her to drive for $5000, and you rocked up and realised it was a mint condition GT of some sort worth 100K plus, I guess all you saints out there would advise her that she should sell it for 100K and walk away from the bargain - I think not!! So would you consider yourself a thief for buying the car and paying the asking price.

I think some of you people here need to get real
If you could never afford it at it's proper value, then you are not really losing anything are you?
Why should someone miss out on a large sum of money that they should get just so you can get what you want?

But that's what society is like. ME ME ME I don't care about anyone else.

Good work to the announcer. This guy hopefully learn to research what he is selling next time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #37
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see both sides, but I feel wrong as the seller should have done his research, and it has nothing to do with the radio host, so people listing things for .99 cents on e bay should be advised by e bay that it is too cheap???

And who knows may be the car is a rust bucket and only worth 20K anyway
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #38
blackwasp

bloody oath the announcer did the right thing!
what if the money was going to the brother`s wife and kids to secure their future without a husband/father .
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #39
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
so people listing things for .99 cents on e bay should be advised by e bay that it is too cheap???
That makes no sense as ebay is generally an auction based site especially when things are listed to start at 99c. Has no relevance whatsoever to the situation the op mentioned.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I can see both sides, but I feel wrong as the seller should have done his research, and it has nothing to do with the radio host, so people listing things for .99 cents on e bay should be advised by e bay that it is too cheap???

And who knows may be the car is a rust bucket and only worth 20K anyway
So what is wrong with the announcer inquiring about the price, would people
be complaining if it was a rust bucket and he suggested the price may be too high?

Of course not but because people are opportunists and want to pay nothing, the announcer is a baddie.....
In this instance the announcer had a moral obligation to ensure this guy didn't get taken big time.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #41
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
So no one buys from sales because the discount is stealing???
But there is a difference on an item that is genuinely "Discounted"

usualy is sold "Above" market value to "slash" heaps off the price..

This gut stands to lose quite alot on this vehicle at that price..

A+ effort for the ANNOUNCER..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #42
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I have no issue with someone snapping a bargain thats not stealing but it is the announcers right ( maybe even responsibility) to inform the seller if he sees something wrong. if the car was just in the paper or what ever the buyer would have bagged a bargain and would have done no wrong as the buyer didn't set the price

he did the right thing
agree totally.

We are all looking for a bargain, and there is nothing wrong with purchasing a bargain when the opportunity presents itself.

Though I draw the line when people ask me is what they asking a fair price(like when you are buying something off a friend), and tell them what could reasonably be obtained for the item. I want to be comfortable when and if I ever deal with the person again(you cant go wrong if you do business that way)

As for people claiming this announcer denied them the bargain of a lifetime? no they havent lost anything!

The announcer I believe had no choice to do what he did if he wanted to maintain his own integrity, the programs or that of the station. ( I take it that he typically makes informed comments about the items that are being sold and their probable value for both the benefit of seller and buyer)

Just imagine what might transpire if he didn't speak up, bought it himself, and the seller became aware and realised that the announcer definitely would have known of the real value etc and the seller walking away believing he'd been ripped off for $80000, people have done crazy things for less than that amount!
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
distortion

I agree, the presenter did the right thing... easy for us to say though... I cant honestly say that I wouldn't have been interested in making 80k? That said, I would hope my integrity would have won over my need for $ (fact of life). I am warmed and encouraged by the number of people on this forum who seem to have good character and integrity. It is so rare in people nowdays, and to have so many in one forum is quite a special thing imo! Congrats everyone
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #44
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

This was one reason why they banned callers with cars here in Newcastle. The other one was dodgy car yard operators flogging off bad stock.
I think he did the right thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up following Newcastles lead.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #45
v gate

i like to sleep at nite.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #46
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
But there is a difference on an item that is genuinely "Discounted"

usualy is sold "Above" market value to "slash" heaps off the price..

This gut stands to lose quite alot on this vehicle at that price..

A+ effort for the ANNOUNCER..
Spot on Hulk.

Here are some fine examples,

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/HO...657459717&pt=1

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...=true&AdOnTop=

Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #47
nstg8a

good on the announcer, damn right he did the right thing.

getting a bargain is one thing, but getting (potentially) a 100k appreciating classic for the 20k asking price would cause my guilt to not let me sleep at night i think.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #48
Scott

Black and white, the announcer did the right thing. There is no grey area here. Tough luck to those who wanted to get the deal of the century..... keep looking.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #49
robjg33
broady grown

good to see most people have morals as does darren james given the situation i would have done the same
robjg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #50
fmc351
let it burn

In the case of the radio announcer, its no different to thinking about selling it, and a mate or some good Samaritan saying to you "hey, they're worth $100k mate, dont be a clown". I can understand how many listeners may have been a tad peeved though. Who wouldnt want it? Especially at $20k Those things are pure horn.

But other than that, Id love to see anyone here in the position to buy it, and say outright, "nah mate I cant just give you $20k, Ill give you $100k cause thats what its worth". Yeah, sure you would, and Im father Christmas. Oh what, youd offer a bit more as that isnt as bad, its only a little bit bad?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

All of them have been butchered. :(
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #52
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
This was one reason why they banned callers with cars here in Newcastle. The other one was dodgy car yard operators flogging off bad stock.
I think he did the right thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up following Newcastles lead.
I think 3aw's "buy, swap and sell" program already has a NO cars for sale policy UNLESS they are vintage, collectable or classic.
This is to stop the dodgy car yards and private traders.
Good on Darren for alerting the poor guy too.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #53
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
In the case of the radio announcer, its no different to thinking about selling it, and a mate or some good Samaritan saying to you "hey, they're worth $100k mate, dont be a clown". I can understand how many listeners may have been a tad peeved though. Who wouldnt want it? Especially at $20k Those things are pure horn.

But other than that, Id love to see anyone here in the position to buy it, and say outright, "nah mate I cant just give you $20k, Ill give you $100k cause thats what its worth". Yeah, sure you would, and Im father Christmas. Oh what, youd offer a bit more as that isnt as bad, its only a little bit bad?
i've paid below market rate for a musclecar off a family member... the main thing was to keep the car in the family... fair price was negotiated they were happy.. i was happy and if the car is ever turned over for a profit some coin is to be slinged in the original owners direction....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #54
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just on this issue of "the seller should do his homework"
Really,so everybody does this ?????

There was an elderly lady whos husband died and left a shed full of old cars
She didnt have a clue to there worth
Wanted the shed knocked down cars to scrap, yard cleaned and sold on
But along comes the real estate agent, sees the cars,doesnt know there exact value
But suggests to the elderly owner,perhaps an auction
The cars sold for near double the house
Now if the real estate agent was a car buff, it would be fair for him to say
"Ill remove for free" ???

So theres half honest people out there,good on them
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #55
max_torq
From the Futura

I've got this HG 350 Monaro from my deceased uncles estate, since I don't know cars I've got no idea what its worth, I'm in a hurry, so lets just say 20K! Please put the deposit in this paypal account, first in gets it... really! ....probably the announcer did the gullible fools a favour, and maybe the station to stave off rorting claims.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Firstly - I believe that Darren did the right thing...

But I think you're all forgetting the big picture here...

Darren (who is also a bit of a petrolhead) did the right thing by the caller... but mostly he did the right thing by 3AW....

What happens to 3AW's integrity & reputation, and also Darren's personal integrity and reputation, if they are then known as that radio station who sold 'that dead guys monaro' for $20k...

Bad news spreads way quicker than good... and it doesn't take long to muddy lots of great work...

Despite what you may think - not everyone that owns a classic car realises it...

I have an older relative that has a K code XY Fairmont... they've had it from new... and it has been babied all of its life... It was bought so the family could tow a horse float for their daughter, and a caravan for when they holiday...
It has been pefect for them and never caused any hassles... so they've just never sold it... my great uncle got a bit old to drive it, and has basically parked it years ago... he doesn't want to sell it because the car means everything to him and holds a lot of memories for him... but it's value in his head - is somewhere around the $4000 mark (the amount he paid for the car in 1970s)...

Within our family - it is well known that I want to buy/own this car... and to my great uncle too... though he has no idea that it would be worth WAY more than what he paid for it... and I am guessing that I will probably end up owning the car for MUCH less than what I could sell it for...

What I'm trying to say is... not everyone that owns a collectable/classic/muscle car realises that fact... Should they be taken advantage of? NO...
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #57
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
What I'm trying to say is... not everyone that owns a collectable/classic/muscle car realises that fact... Should they be taken advantage of? NO...
If they couldnt even be bothered looking at redbook before they sell it (and I'm not saying redbook is an authoritative source on collectible car values, but its better than nothing), do they have a right to complain? No.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #58
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
If they couldnt even be bothered looking at redbook before they sell it (and I'm not saying redbook is an authoritative source on collectible car values, but its better than nothing), do they have a right to complain? No.
ok everybody.. go and ask your nanna what redbook is........ ans = is it a RED.. book??....... fi..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #59
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think ive ever seen a copy of redbook in my life !!!!!
I dabble in cars for over 20 years
Guess im behind the times

Where do we buy such a book
Im loosing out on $$$ here
Please advise
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #60
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Announcer did the right thing. To know of the potential worth of the car and "allow" the guy in his grief to sell it for far less would be wrong. To let him be taken advantage of by another listener who would have made a killing off the deal wouldn't be right.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post