Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #31
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
As a marketing student, I think a lot of you are misunderstaning what 'marketing' is and underestimating the time and resources it takes to overhaul an entire marketing campaign. now i'm not suggesting that i am an expert on the subject, far from it, as i said, i am a student of marketing, not a professor, but i have gained a certain amount of insight into it.

For starters, the beef most of you have is with Ford's advertising, not marketing as such, as most of their marketing would be unseen to the majority of us (marketing encompasses research into the target market and it's demographics/psychographics, what the target market wants in the product, how much they want to pay for it and how satisifed they are after the purchase, amongst various other things), advertising, on the other hand is the end product of all that market research, the link between the marketing and the selling.

now, chances are, Ford aren't in the habit of hiring dud marketing staff, and so you can bet that their marketing team have done a lot more research into what appeals to their target market then any of us have, and the product of that research is what we may consider 'crappy advertising' but it is obviously doing the job for Ford.
Blutura's hit the nail on the head IMO. Soooooo much more to it than advertising.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #32
biomechanic
Freudian Slippers

As far as Ford TV ads go, I'd like to see more consistency in their branding. Ford seem to sway between really well shot, well produced TV ads such as the new Falcon ad (which became a cult classic for Ford fans - even saw the numberplate "SLOJAM" recently), then go and make an absolute joke of an ad (especially for runout sales) that looks like its been made by a couple of first year film & multimedia students. Whereas a company like Audi, always produce fantastic high quality ads with a brand consistency that's top notch (simply slapping a Ford logo on an ad doesn't create brand consistency) - and yes, I realise Ford and Audi have different target markets.

If you look at how Holden promote themselves, they're always pushing, always innovating, always trying something new - which all lead to being noticed, and planting the seed in peoples minds that says "here's a company with a whole range of exciting ideas for the future" - just look at the drag car, the efijy, the brilliant monaro ad (created by Melbourne's own Iloura if anyone cares - check their website for how they made it), the way Mark Skaife features so prominently in their ads.

Sales figures for 2005 are fine, but a good innovative and consistent year by year advertising strategy ensures increased sales and customer loyalty for years to come.

As someone said recently, Ford never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Just a few thoughts on how I'd like to see things done - but hey, if it works, it works.
biomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #33
YELLAUTE
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_october
I'd rather Ford spend more money in looking after their current customers than putting it into advertising - if they can get the quality of the car and subsequent after sales service right, they'll have all the advertising clout money can't buy - by word of mouth from happy customers, as what 4Vman said...
100% right on. I cannot believe after 6 new fords in the last ten years, we are looking at what we will replace our AU2LTD later this year with. We love the car but have had the worst experience with the dealer and do not want to go through that again not after spending $70,000 and 3 years (warrantee period) finally having most of the problems fixed first time it went to an outside repair, tune up workshop. I believe the best marketing Ford could do is look after their existing customers.
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #34
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I was gonna say hire a good marketing team, I know they exist, I've seen some decent aussie ads here.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
To be realistic, Ford really needs to try and source some backup to the Focus/Fiesta - and I still think a solution could be found with a two pronged attack by re-vitalising the Mazda partnership with the laser. In fact, seeing the Mazda 6 is such a success, they could restart the Telstars too. But at the end of the day I guess it all comes down to money. On the negative side the 3 is priced pretty much in the same bracket as the focus - there is no real price differentiation, although I think you would probably get a few more accessories for less with the 3.

Imagine if Mazda wasn't an importer in Aus - and all sales went through Ford. It would probably easily put Ford into the number 2 spot. In fact, Mazda seems to have the models that Ford is missing - a medium car, a MPV, a 4x4 ute, a 4 cyl ute, a van etc - although as we all know Ford has borrowed these models in the past.
Do you realise the Fiesta is built on the same platform as the Mazda 2, and the Focus is built on the same platform with the same engine as the Mazda 3. They share a lot of parts, which is quite like the Laser/323 days. Ford US is now building a few cars from the Mazda 6 platform, I think the Fusion is one of them, so that definately has merit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #36
aualright

no.3 on the sales list is pretty poor. I grew up with Ford and Toyota battling for No.1, not solely Toyota..?
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #37
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
no.3 on the sales list is pretty poor. I grew up with Ford and Toyota battling for No.1, not solely Toyota..?
Holden never battled its way into the top 2?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #38
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Look at the mix of the sales, its not so much about quantity but about quality, Holden's sales are boosted by "sale at cost" fleet cars... the others have commercials which make up a large component too.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #39
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Look at the mix of the sales, its not so much about quantity but about quality, Holden's sales are boosted by "sale at cost" fleet cars... the others have commercials which make up a large component too.
This doesn't change the fact thar Ford has played backmarker for some time. Ford has held the No 1 spot before and its not impossible that with the right mix they can do it again. Whilst in third sport Ford is far from a basket case or laughing stock and recent directions have been either imrovements or holding station. If they work on the little problems the major problems will vanish!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

Ok look at the recent ad's

Holden - Two Z specials racing in a dried lake. The SSZ in the show room (sounds nice ;)). The Lumina ad (meh)

Ford - You'd be popular too (WTF we are customers not dealers!!) Some his playing cars (what, are we kids now?) Oh and lets not forget the 6 spped out ad, so fords have auto's better than free ones???

Fords used to have cars for the consumers, for those of us who enjoy the road and driving Fords on them. We like performance and luxury all at a good price. OH, not alway possible but how about Ford let us know what there is?

Let me see what I can get! I love racing, style and class. Ford, bring in on.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Some his playing cars (what, are we kids now?) .
I think you mean kid playing with cars. Have to admit that I like this ad. I think it has a lot more imagination than a lot of the driving sequence ads. It also steers well clear of the anti driving sequence advertising brigade. Finally it gives a bit of humour which is always a powerful marketing tool, just think of bugger and toyota.
I suppose another positive is it is a reasonably cheap ad so it delivers good bang for the advertising buck. The message is in the handling of the XR but I think it is a pity they don't show a SS flying off the track (joking, I know they are not allowed to, so put your torches away)
Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #42
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
....................................... I think it is a pity they don't show a SS flying off the track ........................................
Good form 101! If the only form of arguments a brand can develop is to bag its opposition, then it doesn't have anything positive to sell.
Much like the last batch of Magna adds trying to can the Falcon and to a lesser extent the commodore. Mitsubishi was so busy trying to pretend it was contender as a large car they forgot all about their real medium car opposition the Camry!
All those adds demonstrated is that Mitsubishi had nothing new to offer!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #43
lovebfgtp w/tt
Starter Motor

my thoughts would have to be with the price of petrol in most of the australian states
you would have to be looking at a vechile with good fuel comsumption (at least 15km\ltr) and have the space of a a medium sized (between laser wgon and bubbleback for size ) and have a bit of kickass like a xr6t when need to move
so i say something between a 4cyl and 6cyl with maybe a turbo and maybe use a zf 6sp auto for the tranny but a lot lighter in weight
lovebfgtp w/tt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #44
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Nope, not at all. Sometimes it is better to produce less of a product with a higher margin of return, rather than spend thousands on marketing to be number one in sales, and make significantly less per car.
Read the latest Wheels and some holden guy wrote in bagging one of the journos for giving Ford a wrap. The holden guy mentioned something about sales and the journo's retort was that Holden factories have a larger capacity to start with (therefore more volume). Also, profit margins, etc are much healthier for Ford which is what is more important.

I'll post complete article if anyone's interested - classic.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #45
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSR
Every now and then, it pops up about people not happy about "You'd be popular too" Ford Marketing and that Holden's better in this department. I think Holden has the "Aussie Mantle" in its hands, for various reasons seems to be a stronger Aussie brand than Ford locally.

One of the challenges is for Ford to maintain volume with larger cars, a bit of a challenge with higher fuel prices tempting some into smaller cars. Admittedly, I'd say that new models that have just been launched/are going to be launched in the next year should help stimulate the segment. But Ford still aren't particularly strong in small cars - if look at Holden & Toyota's main volume advantage over Ford, it certainly does have a bit to do with the smaller segments. Arguably, Ford has the best product in those segments though, but average John and Jane probably don't realise it.

It's not just ads, as popped up in another thread on the XR8 - pricing can be an issue too.

Just interested - what would you do to fix it, how would you improve it?
Marketing is less than half the story. They have to fix their dealer network and customer service. One bad experience a customer can have and the word of mouth that follows it, will cause more damage then any number of tv or press ads can ever hope to fix.

Quality control also needs to be looked at.

In other words Ford are not good at keeping the customers they do have and its a big problem for them.

Daniel
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post