Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #31
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FPV DECIMATED the HSV!

So if we add the intercooler and oil cooler plus decent rubber like the gts has how much do we win by ?
5 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Does the GTS get the lighter duty drivetrain of the GTF in that comparison?
Old 13-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #33
nitro50th

We heard a lot from Ford's representative, i wonder if it was HSV'S decision not to talk on camera.

It was only mentioned by wheel's that they (HSV) were satisfied with the test.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post

After reading and seeing the redyno video of the GTF "Decimate" the HSV, What would you like to say now mate?

Give you a hint! An apology to Ford will be a great place to start.
The ford probably hadn't cooled down enough or was too cold. Not making the extra boost and put out those numbers. Just because people don't get the same high numbers out of the gtf doesn't mean they tried to cheat Ford, it just means it wasn't ran at its perfect temp which I think was said to be between 50-60*c in the video. If you roll up to a dyno your first run is gonna be lower like in the video, obviously the addition of an intercooler is a brilliant modification.

Just out of curiousity on the 6.2L vs 5L comparison. We know the 6.2L is a large dinosaur when comparing kw/L with the Ford. But how does the Miami compare to the Europeans, BMWs 4.4L V8 for example, is it up there with the best when talking kw/L
Old 13-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Makes me wonder if all those drag races they did were with the GTF not at optimal operating temperature. With Ford being open and honest now, maybe the 0-100 Times and quarter mile times might drop.

The old M3 (from what i remember) used to limit revs till it reached optimal operating temperature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 13-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I wouldnt say it decimated it by any stretch of the imagination.
Did it get more rwkw,yes it did about 20 odd,thats not decimating at all,ford is underquoting their power outputs and holden overquotes theirs, big deal...
Stock 335 gt,s have made more rwkw than that im sure.
Woohoo im so surprised by the results...
Old 13-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #37
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
Just out of curiousity on the 6.2L vs 5L comparison. We know the 6.2L is a large dinosaur when comparing kw/L with the Ford. But how does the Miami compare to the Europeans, BMWs 4.4L V8 for example, is it up there with the best when talking kw/L
Specific output doesnt mean much when you move to forced induction though. But for comparisons sake, the current twin turbo F10 M5 is rated at 412kw from a 4.4L, compared to the 5L GT at 404kw when rated on 15% overboost.

The 6.2 in the LS9 variant is rated at 476kw though, with an extra intercooler, bigger supercharger and higher compression
Old 13-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #38
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the merry go round continues
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
6 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #39
Nova 8

To me it seems cheap to roll up to a dyno or strip and to turn to the guy sitting next to you in a gts and saying "I just gotta get her up to temp first and once she gets to hot we gotta wait for it to cool". What does the gtf make in its absolute lowest, peak hour traffic, guy in a gts pulls up next to you, how much power does the Ford have then.

TBH I could care less who wins, I'll never own a gtf as they are all sold and don't know if I can warrant the coin for the current gts, I just like seeing some exciting cars in the final days. Pitty all Toyota has is that stupid bad out of dad thing.
Old 13-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
To me it seems cheap to roll up to a dyno or strip and to turn to the guy sitting next to you in a gts and saying "I just gotta get her up to temp first and once she gets to hot we gotta wait for it to cool". What does the gtf make in its absolute lowest, peak hour traffic, guy in a gts pulls up next to you, how much power does the Ford have then.

TBH I could care less who wins, I'll never own a gtf as they are all sold and don't know if I can warrant the coin for the current gts, I just like seeing some exciting cars in the final days. Pitty all Toyota has is that stupid bad out of dad thing.
haha I can imagine the gtf drivers excuse when he loses to a gts at the lights. it would be along the lines of " I would have won if my transexual booster thingy kicked in" lol
Old 13-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #41
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l View Post
haha I can imagine the gtf drivers excuse when he loses to a gts at the lights. it would be along the lines of " I would have won if my transexual booster thingy kicked in" lol
Surely you don't condone street racing

I won't be doing any such thing. See you at the track and we'll see who's faster... Oh wait, my BA XR8 was quicker than the GTS of the members from the HSV club at the interclub day

3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #42
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Surely you don't condone street racing

Old 13-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
BHDOGS
Banned

I do find the track times most amuzing if i roll up to a dyno get the guy to put my car on thats what it runs if a gts rolls up the guy puts it on thats what it does but if im a better drive then the guy in a gts and beat him around the track does that mean the gts is slower? no so using track tests its about as pointless as you can get because the guy driving makes the diffrence same as drags dyno test same day same time is the only way to take **** drivers out of the equation and the gtf is king simple really.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #44
Nova 8

Drags still have the human element to stuff up. Really the only way to win is to buy one and enjoy.
Old 13-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #45
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only people that will be making excuses are the ones that cant afford to own a GTF!
Old 13-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #46
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
I do find the track times most amuzing if i roll up to a dyno get the guy to put my car on thats what it runs if a gts rolls up the guy puts it on thats what it does but if im a better drive then the guy in a gts and beat him around the track does that mean the gts is slower? no so using track tests its about as pointless as you can get because the guy driving makes the diffrence same as drags dyno test same day same time is the only way to take **** drivers out of the equation and the gtf is king simple really.
I know what you are saying but most track tests/comparos have the same driver for each car.

Your example would be if the two cars somehow came against each other on a club track day. Driver skill (or lack thereof) would play a big part.
Old 13-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #47
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want another test as I didn't see these 2 blokes in the boot.......
7 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #48
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

After all these years of their dodgy "comparos", this truly is the sweetest victory.

#Falcon351.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
10 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
But he wont lose, he will have a Ford engineer on hand to make sure the car is at optimum temperature.
Obviously they would need a long straight road with traffic lights every 1/4mile or so, for the repeat attempt to get it all right, im sure most GTS owners would be sympathetic and accommodating, wouldn't they...maybe.

Controlled conditions of course.
Old 14-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #50
brownba
Starter Motor

So the ford won the dyno.. and the hsv probably still edges away on the track. As far as v8s go.. not much has changed in 10 years then.

I agree with most however.. this has shown wheels to be a complete egg as far as motoring journalism goes.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #51
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Everyone has there own little view on what's important or not about this whole thing.

Mine is holdens and magazines FALSE advertising about having the most powerfull Aussie car. And to you clowns who keep saying that's not important......why is that on every headline of every sale banner and advertisement you see. It's because that's all that most can real measure. Not many race....not many drag....not many dyno.........but the FORD guys can simply OWN IT that they have the mostowerful Aussie muscle car.

The dodgy dynos and so on **** me off to no end aswell and I'm proud as, that ford stepped up
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #52
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so it turns out the GT-F has more rwkw than the GTS, cool. now where do i find one of these GT-F's so i can buy one?
Old 14-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #53
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Everyone has there own little view on what's important or not about this whole thing.

Mine is holdens and magazines FALSE advertising about having the most powerfull Aussie car. And to you clowns who keep saying that's not important......why is that on every headline of every sale banner and advertisement you see. It's because that's all that most can real measure. Not many race....not many drag....not many dyno.........but the FORD guys can simply OWN IT that they have the mostowerful Aussie muscle car.

The dodgy dynos and so on **** me off to no end aswell and I'm proud as, that ford stepped up

It depends on how you look at it, car manufacturers dont use the kw readings at the wheels. If the Holden produces more power but drops 100kw due to its beefy drivetrain then they are well within their rights to state that it has the most power. Ford also quote their power at the fly, 351, if you add the 15% for the over boost that's 404kw, lower than the hsv.

You can't expect them to change the standards because it favors Ford, that said, I've had a lot of fun poking a mates dad who has a gts about it making less power, but damn - it's a fun car to drive.
Old 14-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #54
Blueford260

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733 View Post
so it turns out the GT-F has more rwkw than the GTS, cool. now where do i find one of these GT-F's so i can buy one?
Go down to your local Ford dealer and put a deposit down on a XR8
Old 14-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #55
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

When you consider that Ford drivers and their passengers generally weigh around 20-30% less than those in Holdens/HSVs, the improvement in real-world driving experience offered by the power-to-weight of the FPV over the HSV becomes even more apparent!
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #56
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733 View Post
Ebay auction. Build numbers 1 and 500 are up for sale.
Old 14-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #57
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

I would be absolutely ****ed if I bought a GTS "430" and it only pulls just over 300kw on the dyno. How pathetic lol for a 100k car. HSV suppoorters complained on the facebook post that they would have to "wait" for their GTF to hit the optimum power level due to not being intercooled. You have just saved 20k or whatever in not buying a GTS, slap a cooler on the GTF and you're laughing...

Just goes to show that bigger engines do not equate to being faster. That 5.0L coyote is an engineering masterpiece!
Old 14-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #58
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
HSV suppoorters complained on the facebook post that they would have to "wait" for their GTF to hit the optimum power level due to not being intercooled.
They posted from the wifi at Maccas while working on giving the FPV guys even better power to weight
Old 14-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #59
Nova 8

Don't Ford seats keep breaking under the sheer weight of their drivers :P Sadly Australia as a whole have an issue with weight which is why I'm currently eating a salad. Got 10kg to drop...
Old 14-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #60
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA2DOR View Post
I want another test as I didn't see these 2 blokes in the boot.......
OHS http://australia.gov.au/topics/emplo...lth-and-safety

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread