Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I turned the traction control off in the BAXR8 the other day after some rain to see how much "influence" it had on safety, you really forget quickly how valuable traction control is, id hate to drive it around regularly in the wet without it because you can get ugly very quickly.

Old 18-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #32
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I turned the traction control off in the BAXR8 the other day after some rain to see how much "influence" it had on safety, you really forget quickly how valuable traction control is, id hate to drive it around regularly in the wet without it because you can get ugly very quickly.
Thats what I was going to ask, didn't that car come with traction control and also dont Typhoons?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #33
Hitman
Way over here

I dont think the utes got traction control
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #34
3vXT

slightly off topic but i'll say it anyway,

i usually only post on two auto forums, this one and another one that doesn't have any car companys in its name. the main difference i see in them is that whilst the other forum does have people who are biased towards one make or another, they usually have a pretty good argument to back themselves up.
i get the feeling that most of people posting things about someone doing something stupid because they drive a holden have no idea what they're talking about. i could be wrong but to me, it makes this entire forum seem less intelligent then the other forum though there is no reason it should be.
even half the people that do attempt to justify their reasoning for why fords are better than holdens come off sounding like they're pulling information out of their **** in order to defend the vehical they drive.

obviously there are exceptions to the rule, there are many people posting on here that do appear to base their opinions of cars on things other than what badge is on the front. unfortunately these people seem to be the minority.

everyone has a right to their own opinion but for ****s sake, take a breath and a big glass of water before you post something thats just going to make you look like a bogan. :

EDIT: that guy in the pic does look just like the metallica guy
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #35
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could have been said with tounge in cheek, cripes when did we all lose our sense of humour!!, remember it is a FORD forum we can have a little dig at the opposition with out all getting on our soap box about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU dude
Typical Holden driver....
Old 18-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #36
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I drove past there today... didn't see that happen... what time was it? That's the Cornwall/Juliette St onramp, right?

If it is, I bet he'd just taken off from the lights before the ramp starts then was in the process of trying to be a hero and gave it a bootful to try and beat the merge (which isn't really that short anyway).
Old 18-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #37
3vXT

i've got a sense of humor, but if you heard the same joke every day you'd get sick of pretty quick too.
and yes, i do realise this is mostly a forum for ford owners but some of the posts i've read over the last couple of days, in the thread about the cop getting hit by the VL, the car going under the truck and this one are just getting to me.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #38
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
It could have been said with tounge in cheek, cripes when did we all lose our sense of humour!!, remember it is a FORD forum we can have a little dig at the opposition with out all getting on our soap box about it.

Thing is it's just not funny the 500th time. Especially when people crank it out about fatalities.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I just did a search, lets try the 55,000 time.

At the same time, there are newbies signing up daily that we have to take account for.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #40
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Let Me rephrase that, excuse this Disco R&B, hip hop Garage fella then
Come on minge, i know its death metal in the TS....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #41
james22
With da Warlords

Nice work.... Hope he didn't damage it, its nice... for a holden lol

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Thats what I was going to ask, didn't that car come with traction control and also dont Typhoons?
The traction control in my BA XR8 can be a little slow to respond in the wet. You always have to be mindful of it when you do accelerate on slick roads, standing starts on steep inclines normally induces good wheel spin even with TC engaged. I also have the feeling that the utes don't come with traction control and the suspension isn't as forgiving as the sedan. Recipe for a nice spin putting the boot in on a wet road.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #43
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe his thongs broke traction as well. Ugly BLACK bogan ute with a Darth Vader front, LOL.
On my weekend drive down the NSW South coast and back I saw two cars with hoplessley BALD front tyres. One was an Astra hatch about 5 years old (woman driver) and the other was an old YELLOW Corolla in Canberra driven by a 20 something Jesus lookalike (with Collingwood FC stickers on it!) Just a **** of rain and these cars would be all over the place. Ignorant fools. In over 1200 Km I must say I didnt even see one notable act of dangerous driving only one HWP car and hardly any P platers. Its the complete opposite of the North Coast, where the drive can be hell on earth. Most interesting car i saw was a mulberry XB coupe pulling a boat out of the water at Eden.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #44
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
i turn the TC off in my car in the wet... granted, the BAXR8's have much more power and an LSD compared to my single spinner.

but ive been caught out on some grease/oil in the wet, and TC kicked in, cutting fuel or however it works, and i got into a much hairier situation than i would have if i just wound on a little bit of opposite lock and used the right foot a tad.
Old 19-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i turn the TC off in my car in the wet... granted, the BAXR8's have much more power and an LSD compared to my single spinner.

but ive been caught out on some grease/oil in the wet, and TC kicked in, cutting fuel or however it works, and i got into a much hairier situation than i would have if i just wound on a little bit of opposite lock and used the right foot a tad.
Personally I find the TC in my BA fantastic, it really intervenes before things get hairy, its amazing how often it goes off when you're not expecting it too, i seriously doubt i could "drive" around it better than what it can do, it would certainly require FAR more focus and attention without it on.
It just shows how sensitive it is to wheel spin and id say it would stop a loop out before it occurs, ive tried to get the tail loose in the wet with it on and its not really possible because it smoothly stops power before the tail lets go.
The only down side to TC is swapping into cars without it (or turning it off in the wet!!!!) because you become subconciously reliant on it intervening before you need to.

Old 19-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #46
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
slightly off topic but i'll say it anyway,

i usually only post on two auto forums, this one and another one that doesn't have any car companys in its name. the main difference i see in them is that whilst the other forum does have people who are biased towards one make or another, they usually have a pretty good argument to back themselves up.
i get the feeling that most of people posting things about someone doing something stupid because they drive a holden have no idea what they're talking about. i could be wrong but to me, it makes this entire forum seem less intelligent then the other forum though there is no reason it should be.
even half the people that do attempt to justify their reasoning for why fords are better than holdens come off sounding like they're pulling information out of their **** in order to defend the vehical they drive.

obviously there are exceptions to the rule, there are many people posting on here that do appear to base their opinions of cars on things other than what badge is on the front. unfortunately these people seem to be the minority.

everyone has a right to their own opinion but for ****s sake, take a breath and a big glass of water before you post something thats just going to make you look like a bogan. :

EDIT: that guy in the pic does look just like the metallica guy
Unfortunately mate, there are too many Keyboard Experts on here that hide behind their computers and use only a little bit of their brains.

You know its most likely those same people (key board experts) who are the hero's in the rain... ***look at my phully sik wheel spins dude!*** :togo:

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #47
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Personally I find the TC in my BA fantastic, it really intervenes before things get hairy, its amazing how often it goes off when you're not expecting it too, i really doubt i could "drive" around it better than what it can do.
It just shows how sensitive it is to wheel spin and id say it would stop a loop out before it occurs, ive tried to get the tail loose in the wet with it on and its not really possible because it smoothly stops power before the tail lets go.
The only down side to TC is swapping into cars without it (or turning it off in the wet!!!!) because you become subconciously reliant on it intervening before you need to.
yeah, fair call. the TC in my dads BA XR8 is a godsend. well he thinks so anyway. it's a much better system than in my car, although he can still get it to step out wet or dry :

i just really dont like it in my AU :
Old 19-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #48
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
lead singer of metallica - so your age shouldn't come into it ;)
Been around since early 80's :sm_headba :sm_headba :sm_headba :sm_headba :sm_headba
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #49
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Ouch, looks like could do a lot of damage beaching one of those things on a kerb.

Only problem with RWD cars... there's a lot of useful bits and pieces under there!!
Old 19-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #50
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I don't think its too unfair to pass judgement on commodore drivers... according to Vic Police, a recent sting of hoons uncovered far more Commodores than Falcons, or any other car for that matter. And yes, there are more commodores made, but at the end of the day, there are more 'hoons' in Commodores than most other makes (but I'm sure the skyline owners are trying their damndest to beat them).

I've seen my share of fwits in Falcons but by and large, when I see someone doing something stupid/dangerous/reckless, it ain't usually a Falcon...

This all being said, my dad's VT is frigging dangerous in the wet - the back end *loves* to slip around like two naked chicks in a jelly fight. Only not anywhere near as arousing .
Old 19-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #51
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I think most here have had there "wet" moments, me included. At least it was only ego and a little damage, no real harm done and no one hurt.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #52
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's worse when their is only light rain - enough to just mix with the oil and not wash it off adn not enough to really make the tyres work. Approaches to hills can be the worst spot - cars tend tp throw the oil down there.

That guy looks lucky. He is resting on the strip but seems to still have 4 wheels on the ground. Did he hit the guard rail?
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #53
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

My VC may only be a 202 but i turn through the lights with my foot slightly on the brake NOT SPEEDING and the back end still slips sometimes. Then you try and go and it just snakeys up the road. Yes i do have grip on my tyres.

One day i was going out and it had been the first rain in about 3-4months and i was using no accelerator around corners it was just slipping and that wasnt fun. That was dam scary.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #54
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
My VC may only be a 202 but i turn through the lights with my foot slightly on the brake NOT SPEEDING and the back end still slips sometimes. Then you try and go and it just snakeys up the road. Yes i do have grip on my tyres.

One day i was going out and it had been the first rain in about 3-4months and i was using no accelerator around corners it was just slipping and that wasnt fun. That was dam scary.
Are they cheap tyres? Tyre cost is generally related to quality, so if you got whoflungdung tyres on it, the amount of tread probably won't matter too much - they're still going to provide poor grip in some way or another.
Old 19-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #55
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_

Just a question, your old man being a retired cop? you'd be able to get off a few infringements eh?? ;)
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #56
bEAn86

hahaha
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
As has been said, its the attitude of the driver, not the car.
Agree

I could do that in a Accent, Sirion or Barina. Who makes the car has nothing to do with how it is driven.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #58
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Interesting Observation from My Mum who is Impartial to Makes as we have a EL and a VE and she likes both..loves the VE actually.

"Why is it that its the Kids with Caps in 10 Year Old Commodores that always hoon?"
Old 19-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #59
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I actually want to know how they mananged to get it off that medium strip.. looks like they would have taken half the exhaust out with any effort to remove it from it's perch?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #60
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I don't think its too unfair to pass judgement on commodore drivers... according to Vic Police, a recent sting of hoons uncovered far more Commodores than Falcons, or any other car for that matter. And yes, there are more commodores made, but at the end of the day, there are more 'hoons' in Commodores than most other makes (but I'm sure the skyline owners are trying their damndest to beat them)
As said many many times before, it's the driver NOT!!! the car. I don't see the point in pointing the finger, at the actual car.

I see hoons, as just that, hoons. It doesn't matter what car they drive, they're still w***kers. It doesn't matter if they're out numbered by another generalised group, they're all the same.

Last edited by Ryan; 19-02-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post