Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Universe..

All together now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
bob^
LPS

What does my head in is that space doesn't end. If it was to end, what would be on the other side?
I think as humans, we can't get our head around the idea of something being endless.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #33
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I had the chance to speak with an astrophysicist recently, so I asked him what was around before the big bang. Literally nothing, apparently. There was no space or time.

THAT'S mind boggling.
I've heard that mentioned before, that before this universe existed there was 'nothing'. But I want to know what nothing is, I guess as humans we associate nothing as just emptiness, but emptiness is space so it can't be that. The opposite of emptiness is pure solid form, but then that would be something.

And the whole time freezing thing is really interested as well.
What if before our universe became to be, there was another universe before us. And one day that came to a point where it's time ceased, where everything stopped.
Maybe this caused everything that has mass to revert back to the centre of it's 'big bang' (while no time passed) and this sudden mesh of energy and matter and time in a zero sized space that doesn't exist caused the big bang of our universe. To go and repeat the cycle of everything.

Obviously I have nothing to base that on but I like thinking about and researching this topic, I was raised in a religious family so the notion of god doesn't appeal to me and prefer science. (Absolutely no offence intended to anyone that's just my chosen belief.)

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Interesting viewpoint buggo.

Don't forget space isn't empty as such, there are photons and neutrinos and all that kind of stuff flying about all throughout the universe. Just because we can;t see them doesn't mean that they aren't there.

A very good topic though, nice work OP.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
BHDOGS
Banned

I agree with buggo i believe the universe will end then be reborn its how everything else works even stars once again no evidence just an idea the wild card is a black hole a force more powerful then light itself is a freaky thingi also like the fact that time travel into thr future is possible if you go fast enough
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #36
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I had the chance to speak with an astrophysicist recently, so I asked him what was around before the big bang. Literally nothing, apparently. There was no space or time.
Unless you believe this guy..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-Big-Bang.html

Interesting to see what becomes of this theory.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

Ah cool seems my idea wasn't that out of reach after all. I've never read this theory before so cool to see other ideas are being explored.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it does seem to make sense there is some sort of cycle happening, for there to be nothingness and stagnation and them magically for no reason something happens and makes the big bang occur all of a sudden makes no sense.... there must be cause and effect !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
What does my head in is that space doesn't end.
yes it does, space isnt endless - our universe is still expanding.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #40
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
yes it does, space isnt endless - our universe is still expanding.
Correct the universe is 13·7 billion years old pretty young really and has only expanded to a certain point in space whats beyond it? Thats a question!
Old 22-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #41
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Correct the universe is 13·7 billion years old pretty young really and has only expanded to a certain point in space whats beyond it? Thats a question!
Old 22-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
bob^
LPS

Well that's it then. At the point it ends, what is on the other side?
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #43
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is no 'other side'. the universe may have an edge, but its not like a physical boundary that you would experience like a wall. as you approach the edge of space, space probably bends in such a way that you're travelling along the boundary rather than toward it so you can never physically get there.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #44
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:

Pretty interesting!

I think man needs to resign themselves to the fact that we may never know the real origin of our universe. But you never know!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #45
xbxd351

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
there is no 'other side'. the universe may have an edge, but its not like a physical boundary that you would experience like a wall. as you approach the edge of space, space probably bends in such a way that you're travelling along the boundary rather than toward it so you can never physically get there.
I think this is on the right track. I have heard it described as the universe being like a balloon and all space and matter including us exist within the surface of the balloon not inside or on top of it. Therefore we can only follow the balloon surafce. I believe their is something on the other side like another dimension but it might not be possible for humans to perceive it. I'm gonna keep trying though
xbxd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #46
BHDOGS
Banned

I think the biggest issue we have is with size wats big and wat isn't is all relative to us the universe could be just a small balloon in an ocean of space not only that but we assume life exsists naturally but we could of just been a cosmic accident only and to become self aware ontop an infintecimal fluke I remember reading the universe is so large that any random occurrence no matter how tiny the chance will happen atleast once
Old 25-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #47
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

That's so awesome, I love this kind of stuff....Just imagine what could be out there....Millions of galaxies that are billions of light years away, what could be out there?

Looking at that picture scaling the Earth to other planets is amazing. Just think how HUGE our Earth is, and then it becomes so small it is invisible when compared to some other planets? Just awesome...

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #48
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's so frustrating having the curiosity but not the brain power to really understand...lol.
What if we perceive rather than 'see' reality so can't truly answer questions about our existance and the universe.. All our judgments about our surroundings are based on our 5 senses, what if 1000 senses are required to truly 'see' things as they are? Do you guys see what i'm trying to say, lol
I would love to be plonked onto another planet somewhere out in space with water, air etc. (although the sky might be purple & the trees orange) & just be free to look around knowing that i'm billions & billions of light years away from home. Especially looking up at the sky from there and seeing a completely different landscape..It would be just insane!

Last edited by tapeworm; 27-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #49
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

i am going to go with a theory i funnily enough saw on the simpsons. I think the universe is donut shaped. The big bang would have caused so much gravitational disturbance that the centre of the universe is like the boundary described above, it bends space in a way that u will never get to the centre, or the outside. just my theory anyway
Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #50
BHDOGS
Banned

thought this might interest use as it did me the god particle found? onto the next problem

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/b...-1226417242608

Higgs sheds tear at particle announcement

Scientists have hailed the "momentous" discovery of what appears to be the "God particle" that gives matter mass and holds the fabric of the universe together.

RETIRED British physicist Peter Higgs, after whom the Higgs boson was named, has congratulated the teams at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the atom smashing machine near Geneva, after they said they had found a new sub-atomic particle "consistent" with the bosun.

The results are preliminary and more work is needed before the scientists can be sure of what "species" of particle they have captured.

But observations carried out so far show it looks and acts like the long-sought particle that has eluded them for 50 years.

Finding the Higgs is vital to the Standard Model, the theory that describes the web of particles, forces and interactions that make up the universe.

Without the Higgs boson to give matter mass and weight, there could be no Standard Model universe.

If it was proved not to exist, scientists would have to tear up the theory and go back to the drawing board.

The announcement on Wednesday came at a packed seminar at the Geneva headquarters of CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, where a tense audience heard the latest progress report from the LHC.

In December last year, LHC scientists revealed they had caught the first tantalising glimpses of the particle.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #51
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

^ Been following the LHC since year 10 at high school (goes back a while). It's excellent to see that they are seeing results like this.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #52
gtfpv
GT

great thread . thanks guys .
reading a little into this . why is space there etc etc , how do we even exist in it . we have a consciousnous . literally thinking about why and how we are here is pure mind boggling . when seeing how big the visible universeis and tryig to count visible stars and planets . its possible that the whole universe is alive with consciousness in it . even weirder , death and birth within that .
thinking about life . we are here , and we cant explain it . but the marvel of it is we can move something in this universe with our will ,move sand etc .make and drive a car , re create , so can ants and bees . WTF one can easily say , this does not make sense to me . the purpose i dont know and cant explain . dont have the knowledge to even ask the full question , only a view from my limited knowledge .
often i have thought , why the ### is anything there at all , please explain , but hey its only there to me because i am here . when we arent here does any of it still exist , and if so where did i go , if i am not in it any more , what was my reason for being , and why did i see it . perhaps only my bit is relevent , just like an ant hill to an ant , but hangon , we didnt know the otherside of the world existed not long ago ,

Last edited by gtfpv; 05-07-2012 at 02:33 AM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #53
karj
XY Falcon

This is a major step forward in physics, biggest I'd say since Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Peter Higgs would be pretty much guaranteed a Nobel Prize in Physics if they are able to confirm this. Results are only preliminary at this stage, so hopefully confirmation will come quickly because he's currently 83 and they don't award Nobel Prizes posthumously.

Last edited by karj; 05-07-2012 at 02:38 AM.
karj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #54
gtfpv
GT

we think of it in our reality , but space could be an ocean with living beings swimming through it too . just like fish live in an almost other reality ( liquid) space me be another reality life support .
most humans often have the thought . i wonder if all of this vastness we see , is a minute living cell inside a living creature , who is part of another universe , and perhaps our cells have universes within them . it a common thought with children .
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #55
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
often i have thought , why the ### is anything there at all , please explain , but hey its only there to me because i am here . when we arent here does any of it still exist , and if so where did i go , if i am not in it any more , what was my reason for being , and why did i see it . perhaps only my bit is relevent , just like an ant hill to an ant , but hangon , we didnt know the otherside of the world existed not long ago ,
I often ponder the same thing and I don't think it'll ever be something I'll be able to wrap my head around. If I'm in the right frame of mind, asking the question 'what if there was just.. nothing' spins my mind.

I don't typically ask 'why I'm here..' though. Destiny, purpose and all that other hokum just doesn't register with me. I look up, I contemplate the vastness of the Universe and an individual's significance in it is as close to zero as you're ever going to get.

A lot of those tiny 'stars' that we see at night may not just be a singular star in our galaxy. There's a lot of visible galaxies that we perceive as a single light source. What you could be looking as is the light emitted from the collection of hundreds of billions of stars.. and potentially, the light emitted from billions of other civilisations.

We orbit a star, there's a little over 140 sizable bodies (planets, moons) that had the potential harbour life in our solar system alone. There's a number of moons around Jupiter and Saturn that astrobiologists believe show strong evidence of the possibility of life. Would harden the debate that, across the Universe, life is common if it were true.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #56
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I often ponder the same thing and I don't think it'll ever be something I'll be able to wrap my head around. If I'm in the right frame of mind, asking the question 'what if there was just.. nothing' spins my mind.

I don't typically ask 'why I'm here..' though. Destiny, purpose and all that other hokum just doesn't register with me. I look up, I contemplate the vastness of the Universe and an individual's significance in it is as close to zero as you're ever going to get.

A lot of those tiny 'stars' that we see at night may not just be a singular star in our galaxy. There's a lot of visible galaxies that we perceive as a single light source. What you could be looking as is the light emitted from the collection of hundreds of billions of stars.. and potentially, the light emitted from billions of other civilisations.

We orbit a star, there's a little over 140 sizable bodies (planets, moons) that had the potential harbour life in our solar system alone. There's a number of moons around Jupiter and Saturn that astrobiologists believe show strong evidence of the possibility of life. Would harden the debate that, across the Universe, life is common if it were true.

THATS right Rodp . out of 140 bodies in our solar system . if we prove life is elsewhere besides earth , than our universe would have trillions of bodies with life on them . it's insane to believe that life is only on earth , but fi that were the case imagine the awesomeness of that , however logic says no , there wouldnt need to be a whole massive universe to produce one planet with life . what if the whole purpose of the universe is not to harbour life and life is just an insignificant minute side effect on an infinately minute scale . . looking forward to in depth eccentric thoughts and perception in this thread .

many many theories and thoughts , such as created by god , who is god ? another dimensional being , an advanced alien in this dimension ,an alien , millions of aliens in this or another dimmension put together ,a single being that created all of it ? , if so , how did he/she /it become ?. random evolution , single random freak of a planet , with impossible odds of existance , vast universe of beings all on the same age and inteligence everywhere each at the same level unaware of the rest of us , or different inteligences where humans are leading the way , or , humans so far behind others that we dont rate as being informed of others .. so many questions . then there is time , does it only exist to us , are we on the only time span , ar we the past of the true time that isnt here anymore , living in the history of ourselves in the future , have we already happened and gone , just a few thoughts of many . are we a project ? < that would explain a lot , as would we are young .
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #57
BHDOGS
Banned

holy crap now this is even bigger news! haha science seems to be having a good week i always suspected it was true to explain the rotation of galaxy now it might be proven!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/n...-1226418257348

IT should have been there. But it's never been seen. Now, scientists believe they have found mysterious "dark matter" weaving through space between galaxies.

Scientists report discovering wisps of dark matter - which have a gravitational influence on galaxies but have never been seen - forming filaments linking galaxies and clusters across mostly empty space.

Dark matter is believed to make up roughly 85 per cent of all mater in the universe, but has proven extremely difficult to observe.

Exactly what dark matter is remains unknown.

A team led by Jorg Dietrich at the University Observatory in Munich, Germany, reports detecting dark matter in a filament near a supercluster of stars called Abell 222/223 about 2.7 billion light years away.

The dark matter was shown to exist by calculating how much normal hot gas was in the region as compared to how much gravitational influence there was on light from distant galaxies behind the filament. The gas was shown to provide only 10 per cent of the mass, with the remainder being dark matter.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #58
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Pretty interesting!

I think man needs to resign themselves to the fact that we may never know the real origin of our universe. But you never know!

I agree. I don't think we will ever know. Scientists can speculate and theorise all they want about big bangs and evidence they have, but in the end the universe is way too big to even comprehend what it is and what happens if it has an end or edge.

Last edited by kaniSS; 09-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I agree. I don't think we will ever know. Scientists can speculate and theorise all they want about big bangs and evidence they have, but in the end the universe is way too big to even comprehend what it is and what happens if it has an end or edge.
Will we ever 'know' know? The problem with our species is that we'll never come to a consensus.

Science does a decent job of what's happening in the Universe today - but rolling that back, we're split between a big bang, a creator and insert new theory.

I believe I have a fair understanding of the scope of the Universe, it's one of the many reasons why I'm not religious. But you do bring up a fascinating point.. what's at the edge? What is on the other side? What is the Universe expanding in to?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #60
gtfpv
GT

forgive me if this is off topic . but this is an interesting video posted yesterday . Wether you agree with it or not , it does raise some interesting questions and theories . and i dont know how old it is . 2008 or earlier i think .
the thing i find interesting here is about the crop circles , they are simply disregarded .
that in itself is very strange of human nature .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Ved6TAhVg