Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #31
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnsx
$11,600 for a 2003 falcon in immaculate condition with 54k on the clock convinced me lol, also i figured out that the previous 4 cars didnt even last 6 months each so i needed something hard to destroy :
What were you doing to your cars? My first car was a HT Kingswood and I ran it for around 12 years, clocking up a heap of miles. It needed maintenance as all car do, but it didn't let me down like my BA does from time to time.

I get an average of 12.9 litres/100km in my BA ute and it has a lot of gear in the back. I never baby it like you do, but I do a decent amount of country driving. Even my XB can manage 16 litres/100km on the open road sitting on 120 km/h and it makes the BA feel like a sloth.

The best way to save some cash is to ride a push bike. I wouldn't drive to work if I didn't need to carry all my tools and stock. Besides in a capital city, riding is usually faster than driving.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #32
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

i admittedly was not a lead foot but more like a super glue on full throddle foot, kinda had to force myself to calm down after i recently lost my license and totaled my car (93 celica).

my plans for the falcon are kw and good 1/4 mile times, this thread was brought about for 2 main reasons.

1- we have a weight loss program thread but no fuel economy tips in a car forum??
2- i was curious to see what every1 else does to save petrol.

i love my car as much as my gf and i spend more money on it than my gf, so spending the cash on the car isnt the issue, the real issue is curiosity and interest.

its easier to see how 200kph is (not safer) in the falcon but much harder to see if u can make ur tank last.

ps: 1 of my cars was a ford festiva, fun little car especially when u totaly remove the airbox and filter (huge induction noise and a fairly large power increase for a little car).

this photo was of me being a tool in the festiva on the way back home after buying a new helmet..
mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #33
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Buy a toyota camry lol
Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 AM   #34
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

All depends where you're driving . Driving like a "Granny" doesn't always save fuel , when you come to a slight grade or hill you have to accelerate harder to go up the hill = more fuel .

Also only carry what fuel you need , carrying excess fuel is more weight in your car .

Keep your tyres at max pressure (as has been stated) low pressure costs more to run .

Just my 2.2c worth (Inc GST)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 01:51 AM   #35
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Petrol prices are getting worse, Where were you 6 months ago cause right now I am :

Babying it too much might actually get you worse fuel consumption as the engine is always labouring and never getting into it’s Power band.
is that why they usually say best fuel economy is reached between 80-100 km/h?
penrith_panther is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #36
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
1. Windows up, (wind resistance)
2. Don't pump the subs 2 hard unless some girls are walking by
3.ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS fill up on tuesdays Cheapest day of teh week
1) will the windows up make a significant improvement in fuel economy? Cause I drive with the driver's side window down all the time and my car drinks lpg
2)Why do the subs affect fuel economy?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #37
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
$11,600 for a 2003 falcon in immaculate condition with 54k on the clock convinced me lol, also i figured out that the previous 4 cars didnt even last 6 months each so i needed something hard to destroy :
that's a steal
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #38
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
my exact thoughts xrchic, i thought that the low price i paid for the car and the reliability is worth the extra petrol i will spend.

i have 1 friend who owns a ba ute and he can regularly keep his av consumption at 12.5L per 100km, mine is always close to 14L per 100 :p

im thinking of upgrading the air intake, so will be extra speed when needed and perhaps a slight help on the petrol side
you should have just bought a car that came with LPG....I'd rather catch pub transport than pay for rip off petrol prices
Old 11-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #39
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found that accelerating too slow (not exceeding 2000rpm) actually uses more fuel that accelerating at a more moderate pace. Like the others said, use cruise control as much as possible.

Btw, if you're a student on 100 bucks per week the BA 6 is probably not the ideal car. It will never really be economical no matter what fuel saving techniques you use. I suppose you could LPG it.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #40
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
make the most of what u love and what u have. Out of all the cars + motorbikes i have had, nothing is more comfy than the falcon , its not an excuse though to forget ur expenses.

ur comment would hold true if u own a v8 or an exotic v12 and they complain about petrol but im simply asking to learn more about these cars and not complain that i hate how much petrol they spend
2nd that one, im driving 03 xr8 in sydney, $50- $56 to fill with bp ultimate gets about 460 - 500km (depending on how hard i hit the right pedal) driving to work and with car club on weekends.
its about $8 more a tank than my ef to fill. the current v8's are fairly economical ifgiven the right amount of loving. :
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #41
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Using your company,s fuel card cuts the cost of fuel a fair bit!LOL!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #42
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Get yourself one of these...

nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #43
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS fill up on tuesdays Cheapest day of teh week
Actually I find Wednesday morning is the cheapest time to buy petrol.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #44
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan b
2nd that one, im driving 03 xr8 in sydney, $50- $56 to fill with bp ultimate gets about 460 - 500km (depending on how hard i hit the right pedal) driving to work and with car club on weekends.
its about $8 more a tank than my ef to fill. the current v8's are fairly economical ifgiven the right amount of loving. :

still wont explain to me why ur v8 uses less petrol than my l6 :

on a great week even if i get 12.8l per 100k's i wont get to 450k on a full tank (close to $60).
mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #45
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

lol, i got an average of 400k's out of a full tank in all 3 of my cars, an EA CFI (cringe) EB XR8 and XD cleveland,

as for saving fuel, who cares really? your going to use it anyway or spend the extra $3 a week on something else...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #46
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

heh, got 520 kms+ out of a 68L tank in my '66 5.2L plymouth fury, was stoked.

AC kills your mileage, i just plain dont use it, thats what windows and vents are for.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #47
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get 520kms out of a tank in my Fiesta and Fairmont V8. Then the low fuel light comes on...
Old story..cann't afford the fuel..don't buy the car.
People ask me how can I afford a V8 ? BECAUSE I CAN !!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rarely use A/C. Windows down for me ;) Mainly for performance than anything else.

I drive in top gear wherever I can 50km/h+ (5th for me).

Try and resist bursts of accleration (kind of hard when driving a turbo : ) but it saves a lot of fuel.

Use cruise control to keep a constant speed (works quite well in my case).

Best I've done is 600kms or so (MY03 WRX) with a mixed bag of driving style on the highway and bumper to bumper.

Get petrol when it's not public service pay week.

If you over rev it you use more petrol

If you labour it you will use more petrol.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
3.ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS fill up on tuesdays Cheapest day of teh week
Unless you live in the country, then there is no cheapest day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I rarely use A/C. Windows down for me ;) Mainly for performance than anything else.
Windows DOWN for performance? Your going have to explain that one!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #50
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Windows DOWN for performance? Your going have to explain that one!
This car is an absolute ***** to drive with A/C on. It is worse than the TX5 and this has double the power and is turbocharged. WTF? :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
This car is an absolute ***** to drive with A/C on. It is worse than the TX5 and this has double the power and is turbocharged. WTF? :
Pity about the power (loss) with the aircon on, windows down will cause drag that will use more fuel, but if your like me who cares
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #52
andrewts
White Car Driver

So, in the ED, which is auto, would revving it so it changes gear at about 2500-2700 be better for economy? Or a little closer to 3000?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #53
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Take the engine out of your BA and put it a Daihatsu Charade. Less weight means less fuel consumption! Also, take advantage of that wasted exhaust pressure and fit a turbo. Purely for fuel-consumption purposes...
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post