Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #31
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets get afew things straight. Telstra is without doubt Australia's best Telecommunications provider. period.

Lets take a look at their closest rival, SingTel Optus; In the last 3 months they have had three major outages of their mobile network, with the worst also knocking out the backup link leaving thousands of people without coverage causing chaos at airports and businesses loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Optus is currently expanding their 3g network with a cut price "Huawei" offering - Telstra built NextG with no exprense spared ($1bn) using Ericsson harware. Optus are hoping to cover 1 million square Kms once this network is completed. NextG currently covers 2 million sq Kms. Where I come from, that is double.

Telstra will win the NBN (fibre to the node) license from the government and will be the only company of building such a network.

But lack of sufficient network engineering and investment aside, all of Optus' profit (not that there is a great deal) is handed back to its parent company SingTel which is a subsidiary of Temasek Holdings, an investment body and wholly owned by the Singapore Government. Telstra profits stay within the country.

So enough Telstra bashing. Look at the facts.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #32
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just the problem with their Internet is that its poor value for money, they're not very well liked in that department. I'm hoping Telstra doesn't win the FTTN from the government, they have their grubby little hands on enough as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 26-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #33
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Just the problem with their Internet is that its poor value for money, they're not very well liked in that department.
i disagree. have no qualms with what i pay and for what i get. its an excellent quality connection and worth watever it is i pay. Esp considering the amount of time i spend on there.
Old 26-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #34
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
i disagree. have no qualms with what i pay and for what i get. its an excellent quality connection and worth watever it is i pay. Esp considering the amount of time i spend on there.
It depends on what you do though, for me, being metered in downloads AND uploads and only getting 12GB a month for $70 on 1500/256 is a bit poor to me. I can do 12Gb in a 24 hour period maybe just a bit over. Being capped the first week in and getting slowed to 64kbps is pretty crappy.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 26-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #35
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
I'm hoping Telstra doesn't win the FTTN from the government, they have their grubby little hands on enough as it is.
Mate you're jokin right?! If they don't win it, Optus will cement Australia's place at number one of having the worst broadband network in the world.
Old 26-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #36
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Mate you're jokin right?! If they don't win it, Optus will cement Australia's place at number one of having the worst broadband network in the world.
The infrastructure shouldn't be owned by only one ISP, it should be owned by the government, then let all the other ISPs use the equipment for a little fee, rather than have Telstra own it and charge what ever they like for others to use the equipment.

Anyway, why bother with FTTN anyways? It still uses copper to your house, if you're going to go through all the effort of laying Fibre, go FTTH, then you can get HD payTV, Phone and extremely fast internet all coming down one cable which will still remain "up to date" for a long time.
Quote:

Old 26-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #37
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The infrastructure shouldn't be owned by only one ISP, it should be owned by the government, then let all the other ISPs use the equipment for a little fee, rather than have Telstra own it and charge what ever they like for others to use the equipment.

Anyway, why bother with FTTN anyways? It still uses copper to your house, if you're going to go through all the effort of laying Fibre, go FTTH, then you can get HD payTV, Phone and extremely fast internet all coming down one cable which will still remain "up to date" for a long time.
Copper is perfectly capable of carrying high seed data short distance. Fibre to the MDF would be a task that would not be financially viable for anyone to undertake.

You see, the interesting thing is that if for some odd reason Telstra is not granted the go ahead to build this network, they will make life very difficult (within the bounds of the law) for who ever does as ALOT of access will be needed to Telstra exchange's and infrastructure to make it a success - rest assured the government is awear of this.
Old 26-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #38
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
Copper is perfectly capable of carrying data short distance. Fibre to the MDF would be a task that would not be financial viable for anyone to undertake.

You see, the interesting thing is that if for some odd reason Telstra is not granted the go ahead to build this network, they will make life very difficult (within the bounds of the law) for who ever does as ALOT of access will be needed to Telstra exchange's and infrastructure to make it a success.
Exactly why we should keep as much as possible outside of Telstra's hands because when they don't get their way, they do things like you describe. While copper is perfectly capable of carrying data short distance, but bandwidth wise it has absolutely nothing on Fibre, in 10 years time will Copper still be able to provide adequately?

Japan has FTTH, but they have a very dense population in small areas which most likely makes it viable.
Quote:

Old 26-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #39
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly why we should keep as much as possible outside of Telstra's hands because when they don't get their way, they do things like you describe. While copper is perfectly capable of carrying data short distance, but bandwidth wise it has absolutely nothing on Fibre, in 10 years time will Copper still be able to provide adequately?

Japan has FTTH, but they have a very dense population in small areas which most likely makes it viable.

I think you forget that Telstra is a business, not a charity. It has a duty to its shareholders - this has nothing to do with it not getting its way.

You bring me back to my initial point - if the network is correctly engineered, and appropriate money invested (the Telstra way) allowing for a sufficient number of "nodes" then yes copper will be adequate in a decade and beyond. When this is no longer the case, fibre can always be implemented.
Old 26-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #40
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Telstra built its infrastructure. i think its fair that it does with it what it wants, And now that your previous goverment sold it off, they will do exacctly that.
Old 26-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
lets get afew things straight. Telstra is without doubt Australia's best Telecommunications provider. period.

So enough Telstra bashing. Look at the facts.
Er...you dont happen to work for Telstra or their advertising company do you
Old 26-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #42
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fact: I have crap service!!!!!!

Fact: I have never come across a single employee who is able to assist any enquiry I have made without being transferred at least 5 times to get an answer!!!

Fact: There is life beyond the coast but no provider gives a rats ......

Theres your facts. Period!!!!!

Ohhh & LOL Gasolane. I couldn't believe it when I read it either :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #43
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature

Fact: I have never come across a single employee who is able to assist any enquiry I have made without being transferred at least 5 times to get an answer!!!

Don't worry, I couldn't either, but he does know his stuff.

Quote:
I think you forget that Telstra is a business, not a charity. It has a duty to its shareholders - this has nothing to do with it not getting its way.

You bring me back to my initial point - if the network is correctly engineered, and appropriate money invested (the Telstra way) allowing for a sufficient number of "nodes" then yes copper will be adequate in a decade and beyond. When this is no longer the case, fibre can always be implemented.
Honestly, if they want to do something, do something good that will be worth the investment, none of this FTTN stuff, FTTH or nothing at all. Therefore we don't have to worry about replacing the copper once it becomes outdated, because I know it won't be able to handle anywhere near the bandwidth Fibre can. Look at ADSL2+ and how much the speed drops depending on how long the copper is to your exchange, not to mention its a crappy whole 24mbps at max and the chance of you getting max is pretty much zilch.

Telstra only just started wholesaling its ADSL2+ equipment and so far, including Telstra, all the plans from the other company are extreme rip-offs compared to other large ISPs like Internode which means Telstra is obviously charging quite high for 'rental' on their stuff.

I also believe Telstra is the most complained about ISP.

http://www.tellthetruthtelstra.com.a...e/1001183.html

Not many other Telco's like them either.

Whats the point of having a new network when no one can afford to use it? Don't be suprised it Telstra wins the NBN contract, the price of being able to take advantage of it will sky rocket and they'll charge other ISPs up the khyber pass to use the damn thing so theres no competition.

I say no ISP should own the network, it should be fully owned and built by the Government allowing other ISPs to jump onboard for little or no cost so we get some decent competition happening.
Quote:

Last edited by 90sFTW; 26-10-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 26-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #44
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
you all go on about Telstra and how crap they are, atleast you can get phone service with Telstra in the country, not like 3 or Optus which seem to drop out even in major city areas.
Down south Coast NSW (I carry 2 phones) I get service and makes calls with Optus when Telstra is going through a 50km blackspot. Go figure.
Old 26-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #45
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You are speaking emotionally, not factually. I never said they were any good at customer service - they are good at Telecommunications.

Going by your logic - the Ford Motor company is also rubbish as I receive sub par service every time i take my XR5 in for an oil change and I always pay too much - but doesn't that mean for a second that my XR5 is no good!

Anyhoo, we will have to agree to disagree MN _2:

Now I just bloody wish they would stick me on their payroll for doing all this batting for them, or at least increase my dividend
Old 26-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #46
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are speaking emotionally, not factually. I never said they were any good at customer service - they are good at Telecommunications.

Going by your logic - the Ford Motor company is also rubbish as I receive sub par service every time i take my XR5 in for an oil change and I always pay too much - but doesn't that mean for a second that my XR5 is no good!

Anyhoo, we will have to agree to disagree MN _2:

Now I just bloody wish they would stick me on their payroll for doing all this batting for them, or at least increase my dividend
THATS why you want Telstra to get the NBN, because you have shares with them!
Quote:

Old 26-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
... breath ....

Are you serious ?????????????

What I have I would NOT call service. Im only about 400k's from Sydney ...... in all reality Im NOT that far away from the city. (80k's to the next major rural centre of Dubbo) I have to have a Next G phone & the phone I currently have is the best they can offer as far as getting service (so they say) I can guarentee that if someone tried to call me right at this second they would not get through as I have NO service on my phone. I am sitting in our local post office & the only way to get service is to walk outside & turn to the left and hope it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

/me steps down from my rant ....... so I can a bit more about the above quote
Do you want a medal?

I travel country roads all the time and have had very good coverage with the NEXT G mobile.

I have customers with Optus phones that dont even work in suburbian areas. Our company has used Optus and 3, and they just aren't anywhere close to Telstra for coverage.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The point is no matter how good Telstra's coverage or equipment is, they will always have a customer service division thats just as bad as the coverage is good. You always wait forever to get through to someone and then its some Indian you can barely understand because their accent is so thick. And then they can't do anything to help you because they have no clue what they are doing. So infuriating.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #49
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The point is no matter how good Telstra's coverage or equipment is, they will always have a customer service division thats just as bad as the coverage is good. You always wait forever to get through to someone and then its some Indian you can barely understand because their accent is so thick. And then they can't do anything to help you because they have no clue what they are doing. So infuriating.
They must just read off some piece of paper that consists of:

1. Have you restarted your PC?
2. Have you turned your PC off and On?
3. See number 1.
Quote: