Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #31
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: Why don't drink drivers cars get impounded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Why aren't modified cars required to comply with all ADRs?

New cars are required to meet Euro4 so if someone modifies say and E -series, why don't they have to comply also?

Or is that different..........

And this has bugger all about drink driving and getting your car impounded as a result, unless your busted drunk behind the wheel of a modified car that doesn't meet Euro 4 standards.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #32
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I think flappist has been done for drink driving

He says he's never been to court for any traffic matter, but seems to know what you get for an armed robbery. I'll leave it upto your imagination why he knows the court system so well.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 29-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #33
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXR6T
The driver is the law breaker, not the car!! So if somone borrows my car and is drunk, then my car gets impounded. Why am I penalised when I did not commit an offence? .

Same old, same old.......along with vehicle ownership comes responsibility. You are responsible for making sure it is not used improperly, stored securely, kept roadworthy, not booby trapped etc.

The idea is that you will lend your car taking on that responsibility, not giving the keys to people that you feel will break laws, and if you dont know them properly, dont give em the keys.
If they take the car without your permission, then you can report the car was stolen. Tough call for a parent when johhny takes the family car out and gets pinned for stupid driving, but heh, if you dont trust your kid, dont leave the keys around for them.

Just like you wouldnt leave the keys for the gun cabinet around if you had weapons stored in your residence.......the law is forcing people to take responsibility for owning a car, about time.

If the law wasnt in place, then we'd have every hoon in the country registering the car in the name of their grandmother or some other member of the family that doesnt even have a licence to bypass the consequences.

Oh, and back on topic: somehow the OP is looking for an out for hooning based on DUI doesnt appear to get as harsh penalties?

All that is being made I feel is that there is a good case for increased penalties for DUI.

Last edited by sudszy; 29-06-2011 at 05:53 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe with drink drivers we should do what Judge Dread did in the movie, and blow the drunk drivers car up on the spot. LOL. The driver will have no choice but to walk home.

On a more serious note. I do not believe any car should be crushed or even sold off. But I do agree with cars being impounded for hoon offences, this should also include drink drivers, as drink drivers ability while driving is very compromised and are a bigger danger on the road, than a person who spins the wheels from a set of traffic lights.

At the moment hoon driving is seen to be committed by young male drivers in beaten up cars such as VN commo's. Now impounding drink drivers cars under anti hoon laws, would see a wide range of driver ages and car types being impounded. I would suspect that 1 reason why they do not want to add drink drivers into the hoon group as many high profile people who get caught drink driving would be classified as a hoon.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Maybe with drink drivers we should do what Judge Dread did in the movie, and blow the drunk drivers car up on the spot. LOL. The driver will have no choice but to walk home.

On a more serious note. I do not believe any car should be crushed or even sold off. But I do agree with cars being impounded for hoon offences, this should also include drink drivers, as drink drivers ability while driving is very compromised and are a bigger danger on the road, than a person who spins the wheels from a set of traffic lights.

At the moment hoon driving is seen to be committed by young male drivers in beaten up cars such as VN commo's. Now impounding drink drivers cars under anti hoon laws, would see a wide range of driver ages and car types being impounded. I would suspect that 1 reason why they do not want to add drink drivers into the hoon group as many high profile people who get caught drink driving would be classified as a hoon.
^ this is why I believe the DUI driver's will be held slightly higher than hoons. A lot of public servants, politicians, CEO's and other corporate heads wouldn't want their bad drinking habits related to hoon like behavior in any way. Which in my mind is still just as irresponsible.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #36
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
There was a guy on one of the cop shows the other week who was..

three times the booze limit
speeding
high speed chase
tried to esacpe on foot
small quantity of drugs

He did not receive ANY fine, no loss of car, he did get some community server however..

So.. financially at least.. he is far better off than if he had been caught doing a bit of a burnout.
Total morons get off better with the law by stealing a car in the first place they can cut loose all they like caining someones car then burn it and then run around boasting that he has destroyed X amount of $ wort of car and most likely just get fed 3 times a day and a roof over his head with good moronic friends like him self around him for a time.
I don't see the people complaining about trash like this as they are not in the public's vision of perception.
so they are not victimised like some poor dude that just did a bit of a wheel spin by accident and the difference between a totally controlled wheel spin or chirp opposed to some stupid dam clown out of control cutting loose with no regard to anyone safety being a twit.
And we have people that have no idea with their little narrow minded views because they are just dim wits supporting this damn fool fascist state of the QLD ALP.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
..............I would suspect that 1 reason why they do not want to add drink drivers into the hoon group as many high profile people who get caught drink driving would be classified as a hoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
^ this is why I believe the DUI driver's will be held slightly higher than hoons. A lot of public servants, politicians, CEO's and other corporate heads wouldn't want their bad drinking habits related to hoon like behavior in any way. Which in my mind is still just as irresponsible.
Exactly what i thought...........

Still seems very unfair - except in SA where the rule has been apparently enforced.........

When was the last time Drink Driving Penalties and Fines were increased or revised since Hoon Laws came into effect - all i see is increased in Penalties and Fines for other traffic offences - BUT not for DUI one of the major killers on our Roads?

Well thats the way i see it - the general public - this is without doing research on the net but this is the way it comes across

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 29-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
He says he's never been to court for any traffic matter, but seems to know what you get for an armed robbery. I'll leave it upto your imagination why he knows the court system so well.

Many on here know what I used to do for a living and yes I have been involved in armed robberies, domestic sieges, homicides, suicides, drug plantions and labs, terrorism, heroin importation and lots of other nasty things.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #39
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Many on here know what I used to do for a living and yes I have been involved in armed robberies, domestic sieges, homicides, suicides, drug plantions and labs, terrorism, heroin importation and lots of other nasty things.......
Yet you still find time time to enlighten us mere mortals on AFF
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

I don't have a problem with it!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Yet you still find time time to enlighten us mere mortals on AFF
Mere mortals AND kiwis.......
Old 29-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #42
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

For someone that used to obviously be a copper, why would you dribble on about early cars or modified meeting late ADR controls?

Geez, I'm glad I didn't get pulled over by you when i was living up that way. i would have had a field day with you, probably resulting in me being locked up for failing to obey police direction or some sort of street offense relating to verbal abuse of a police officer.

Old 29-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #43
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

F&^kin' LOL .............
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
There was a guy on one of the cop shows the other week who was..

three times the booze limit
speeding
high speed chase
tried to esacpe on foot
small quantity of drugs

He did not receive ANY fine, no loss of car, he did get some community server however..

So.. financially at least.. he is far better off than if he had been caught doing a bit of a burnout.
Find this very hard to beleive
Speeding IF proof provided, a fineable offence
3 times over 0.05 instant licence disqualified,and probably 12 months loss of licence
A fine of depending ,over 1K for first offence that high
If numerous times done , probably longer licence loss or larger fine ???
Drugs on possession , depends on what ,amount ect

Now in a court a fineable offence is recorded but can be exchanged for community service, depending on the court case and the parole officer

So your fine of lets say $ 1,000 is exchanged for a comminutity service order
At $20 an hour credit
This $20 an hour is deducted from your fine as such
Any fine can be payed of threw SPERS or exchanged for a community service work order

Maybe he ,perhaps was a top notch sport player (dont they get away with murder)
OR he had some well paid lawyers
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
For someone that used to obviously be a copper, why would you dribble on about early cars or modified meeting late ADR controls?

Geez, I'm glad I didn't get pulled over by you when i was living up that way. i would have had a field day with you, probably resulting in me being locked up for failing to obey police direction or some sort of street offense relating to verbal abuse of a police officer.
Never been a member of a state Police Service.

But keep going, you are really showing off your intelligence and personality......
Old 30-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226084839913
Quote:
HOON drivers will lose their wheels for 30 days from tomorrow under tough new legislation.

Repeat offenders will also face court where they risk losing their vehicle for a further three months, with a minimum 45 days, or having their vehicle seized permanently.

The tougher laws will cover a range of hoon offenders including repeat drink, drug and unlicensed drivers as well as overloading a vehicle with passengers.

Head of Road Policing Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe welcomed the amendments, which will see hoon vehicles impounded for longer and for more offences.

Up until now, police only had the power to impound hoon cars for up to 48 hours.

"These changes are tough, no doubt about it," Mr Walshe said.

"But they are tough for a very good reason. This type of dangerous driving is unacceptable. Police are sick of it, the community is sick of it and these new penalties will see dangerous drivers off the road for longer.’’

As part of the launch of the new laws, Victoria Police has today released details of hoon hotspots and profiles.

The top five Police Service Areas where hoon offences have occurred in the past five years are Hume, Brimbank, Bendigo, Whittlesea and Greater Dandenong.

Police analysis shows that the top suburbs where the hoon drivers live are St Albans, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Mill Park and Craigieburn.

Since hoon laws were introduced in 2006:

POLICE have impounded more than 14,500 vehicles;

ABOUT 96 per cent of hoon offenders are male;

ABOUT 41 per cent of hoon offenders are aged 18 to 21; 24 per cent are aged 22 to 25; almost 13 per cent are aged 26 to 29;

The 30 to 39 year old age group is the fastest growing group for hoon offenders, increasing from 11 per cent of offenders in 2006 to 17 per cent of offenders in 2011.

More than 45 per cent of hoon offenders are fully licensed drivers, with probationary drivers making up 38 per cent of offenders.

Excessive speed is the most common offence (5474 offences), followed by improper use of a motor vehicle (5013 offences).

Mr Walshe said the data shows hoon driving was not isolated to any one area.

"It’s a problem in metropolitan Melbourne as well as in regional areas," he said.

"Police right around the state are targeting this behaviour. Our roving State Highway Patrol has moved into a number of areas this year to target hoon behaviour, particularly in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

"We continue to monitor group hoon behaviour at various industrial areas and take action on this."

Police are calling on the community to get behind this campaign by phoning the Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or reporting it online at www.vic.crimestoppers.com.au.
It's good to see repeat drink and drug drivers in the list, but unlicensed driving is a hoon offence? Overloading? W..T..F??
Old 30-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #47
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

It's good to see repeat drink and drug drivers in the list, but unlicensed driving is a hoon offence? Overloading? W..T..F??
Didn't you know?... Hoon is the word used for any traffic offence now.
Old 30-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #48
Dave3911

Note that in the article the Police only are quoted referring to them as dangerous drivers.... it's the media who have latched onto the term hoon.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #49
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Note that in the article the Police only are quoted referring to them as dangerous drivers.... it's the media who have latched onto the term hoon.
Hoon was created by the media, but the word hoon is being implemented into legislation. so it is turning into a real word.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #50
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

What do they depict as a hoon vehicle?
Will they put inattentive drivers under the hoon label too?

Seems as though the term 'hoon' is a blanket term for every offense. probably to cover their own butts.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
What do they depict as a hoon vehicle?
Will they put inattentive drivers under the hoon label too?

Seems as though the term 'hoon' is a blanket term for every offense. probably to cover their own butts.
It is purely villification and is actually somewhat offensive.

I wonder if a case were put to the appropriate groups about how terrible we all feel by being called this derogatory name would there be a case to procecute media and/or politicians.

What would happen if, for example, marchers in the Sydney Mardi Gras were referred to as "poofs" or unemployed people referred to as "dole bludgers" or workers in the sex industry referred to as "whores"?

Baa Baa black sheep is outlawed now.

Anyone know any "politically correct" activists?
Old 30-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #52
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets not stop there while handing out fines,cause they can
Lets start booking people for overloaded trailers
Cars towing well beyond there means ,and safe working capacity
How about a licence for towing a large van or a large trailer
Lets look at the real issues
DUI,speeding,drivin under influence of drugs, driver fatigue (gee they do alot about this ???) unsafe,unroadworthy vehicles
Are these now magically lesser than someone who spins the tyres of the lights ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #53
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
It is purely villification and is actually somewhat offensive.

I wonder if a case were put to the appropriate groups about how terrible we all feel by being called this derogatory name would there be a case to procecute media and/or politicians.

What would happen if, for example, marchers in the Sydney Mardi Gras were referred to as "poofs" or unemployed people referred to as "dole bludgers" or workers in the sex industry referred to as "whores"?
They will simply stand in front of a primary school class and get a photo for the media and anything you say will be lost on "the children", some of which will be holding bunnies and kittens.
Old 30-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The media would call you a hoon if you park in a 1/2hr parking zone for 31 minutes.

Oh and on drink driving, ever sip over is a killer.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

But keep going, you are really showing off your intelligence and personality......
Federal Police? Customs? ADF? Rented a house in Maquarie Fields?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #56
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Federal Police? Customs? ADF? Rented a house in Maquarie Fields?

LOL. I'm opbviously not the only one that FLAPPIST thinks is a mind reader.

Old 30-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #57
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Don't worry mate. There's no way I'll be as good at mind reading as you are. so I'll head back to kindergarden tomorrow and see if they'll re-enroll me

Old 30-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #58
Dave3911

Quote:
Hoon was created by the media, but the word hoon is being implemented into legislation. so it is turning into a real word.
Not in any Victorian legislation I can find..... got a link?
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #59
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I found this link from 2006 regarding what is regarded as a hoon crime in Victoria. Im not sure if this stands as real or not, but worth a read.

http://www.youthlaw.asn.au/upload/anti-hooning.pdf

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #60
DMXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Same old, same old.......along with vehicle ownership comes responsibility. You are responsible for making sure it is not used improperly, stored securely, kept roadworthy, not booby trapped etc.

The idea is that you will lend your car taking on that responsibility, not giving the keys to people that you feel will break laws, and if you dont know them properly, dont give em the keys.
If they take the car without your permission, then you can report the car was stolen. Tough call for a parent when johhny takes the family car out and gets pinned for stupid driving, but heh, if you dont trust your kid, dont leave the keys around for them.

Just like you wouldnt leave the keys for the gun cabinet around if you had weapons stored in your residence.......the law is forcing people to take responsibility for owning a car, about time.

If the law wasnt in place, then we'd have every hoon in the country registering the car in the name of their grandmother or some other member of the family that doesnt even have a licence to bypass the consequences.

Oh, and back on topic: somehow the OP is looking for an out for hooning based on DUI doesnt appear to get as harsh penalties?

All that is being made I feel is that there is a good case for increased penalties for DUI.

I have several company vehicles and staff have to drive them for work. So your idea is that my company should suffer because of the driver?? Great logic and usual argument by bureaucrats that cannot think of anything effective, only "look we are doing something" PR stunts. I am overseas at the moment so if one of my staff use my car and do something wrong then I cannot drive?? There is no provision to get the car back due to it being used without permission and if this option was available then I bet it would takes weeks and you would be treated like crap by the bureaucrats.

Your logic would also mean that you would be responsible for murder if someone used your axe that you lent them!! These silly laws simply alienate the public. Society only works by agreement not by arrogant, high handed bullying.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post