Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speed limit increase possible: NSW premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Cars have improved but the roads havn't ..
In U.S the open speed limit is 80mph..
A lot of our newer roads are world class, guys at my work project lead on roads around the world and we are often envied with the quality we have. I know in Europe and North America they have MASSIVE problems with ice and thaw on their roads, which cracks and splits the bitumen. A lot of our newer roads and upgrades are outstanding and we don't have the temperature related maintenance issues other countries have.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
Spurious

I remember some years ago driving a brand new VS commodore from tenant creek towards darwin with no highway speed restriction at all. I will never forget playing leap frog with a guy in a 351 XD topping speeds of 200kph for short periods, that definately kept us alert! I considered this acceptable as it was the off peak tourist season with virtually no traffic in either direction. Common sense came into play at appropriate times when taking into consideration oncoming traffic, roadside features and the road condition. I reduced speed back to 90/100 when oncoming traffic was (occasionally) sighted, if tree's on the shoulder appeared in the distance or for things like cattle grids with fence post's and distant heat haze on the road surface. However my luck was tested once when 2 roo's hopped over the road from right to left whilst I was at 170kph. I narrowly avoided disaster and it gave me due cause to slow down after reminding my early 20's self that there was actually large wildlife in the outback. Lucky it wasn't a camel or brahma bull although these animals would have been more obvious from a greater distance! In conclusion there is possibility for some roads to have speed limits increased. In my opinion this could be allowable if considering a simple criteria such as the age / experience of a driver, the age and safety standards of the vehicle, wildlife fencing, crossroads and road suitability / condition (ie: divided or not/multi lane). Machines are made to perform a specific task, as for cars they do their job very well but as with any machine it's the human element that causes the issues. Every week I drive the Bass hwy (max-110kph/part duel lane) and I'll always get slowed (or stuck) behind another vehicle in the right hand lane doing 100 or less as they pass an even slower vehicle. Should we leave well enough alone? should I have said nothing?
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
renegadeous

It's all a load of crap. Go back to the days where there was a standard max cap speed. The yellow 'suggested' speed signs. Engage brain and drive to the conditions. rather than what some pencil pusher decides you should drive at. Look at the NT. They never even had speed limits and their fatality rates were always low. Before you rant about the population how many have actually driven the Stuart Highway from Darwin right through to SA. Roos, roadtrains, one lane each way. And surprisingly quite a fair bit of traffic.
I love ebay !! I love buying a car through the post. I love the challenge of the jigsaw pieces (at $200 a part). I love it when people list a part as fitting a van, sedan or coupe. I love it even more when you pick up a part and they honestly cant remember if it came from a coupe or a sedan. I love my wife carrying a bumperbar up the hill to put in the car after I got it delivered to her work. Yeah Yeah. No better way to rebuild a car..
renegadeous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #34
Spurious

Now hows this for road safety irony. Lovett st' in Ulverstone Tasmania recently had it's speed limit dropped from 60kph to 50 but it makes no sense to me. I mean it's a main road leading to and from the bass hwy. At the other end of town you've got Eastlands drive also leading to the bass hwy but it's still at 60kph. Both these roads have a school zone with grass ovals leading to the roadside and both have houses that line both sides. Then you've got Main st' (which leads to an 80kph rural zone) and South rd which also leads to bass hwy and they both remain at 60kph. so why the change for Lovett street? The other thing worth noting is a new speed camera in an enclosed box trailer that the government bought. I only see it in one spot when it's in Ulverstone and that's Lovett street.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
That's a strange view - the role of the public service is to develop policy, both strategic and operational, not just implement it. You give politicians way too much credit if you think they have come up with the policies that govern this country. It is true that they may set the high level agenda, but it is the public servants you seem to slag off at every opportunity that make it real (sometimes even in the face of obvious stupidity....but the minister is the boss).
Having had quite a bit to do with the public service as an employee, contractor and "victim" over the last 30 years my position is that they should be capable of being held personally responsible for their conduct and decisions (or lack thereof) in the same way that people who are employed privately are.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Having had quite a bit to do with the public service as an employee, contractor and "victim" over the last 30 years my position is that they should be capable of being held personally responsible for their conduct and decisions (or lack thereof) in the same way that people who are employed privately are.
With that, I agree.

Hopefully someone with some sense (not even bravery - just sense will do it), will make the right decision and we get some decent speeds on those long, multi-lane boring stretches of Hume, Princes/Pacific etc. Ban learners and P platers from those zones to keep speed for everyone up around the posted limit (like in Vic where bicycles are not allowed on the freeway) and have police patrol and remove anyone travelling at dangerous speeds (both slow and fast).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post