Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #31
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the end it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #32
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
No it isn't, people often pay more than something is worth, like with Grand Final tickets.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #33
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
'zactly.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #34
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
What's a Phase 4 worth?
I was just having this argument with a mate of mine. What is worth more the rarest option/colour road going PH3 GTHO compared to the one and only road-going plated Calypso Green XA GTHO P4 that is in the hands of a Sydney (?) dentist.

I reckoned that the lone example of a road registered P4 (1 of 4 made) would be worth more than a P3 (excepting racing models)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #35
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I was just having this argument with a mate of mine. What is worth more the rarest option/colour road going PH3 GTHO compared to the one and only road-going plated Calypso Green XA GTHO P4 that is in the hands of a Sydney (?) dentist.

I reckoned that the lone example of a road registered P4 (1 of 4 made) would be worth more than a P3 (excepting racing models)
Doesn't a Gold Coast bloke own a red XA Phase IV...I saw it on one of those advertorial drive shows (Ch9 I think...). They had him cruising on the highway, etc.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #36
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Simple as that.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #37
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Doesn't a Gold Coast bloke own a red XA Phase IV...I saw it on one of those advertorial drive shows (Ch9 I think...). They had him cruising on the highway, etc.

David Bowden's competition (race) version I presume?
http://www.bowdensown.com.au/cars/phase4.html
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #38
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
as far as im aware:

bowden owns a red one, a private collector in sydney owns a red one (and im sure of this), the third red one was written off? and supposedly a gren one is owned by a dentist (sydney too, i think)
Old 16-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

$830,000. Useless car or a house? I know what I'd buy!
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #40
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
people that can afford that on a car most likely have 10 houses already in their property portfolio
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
No it isn't, people often pay more than something is worth, like with Grand Final tickets.
Never ever ever! Like the example above, its not worth that much to you so you dont fork out the money. To someone else it is worth, to the exact cent, what they are willing to pay for it!!!!

The one that changed hands for 800k + IS a one off race car, never to be seen or repeated again! YES it will only increase in value! Will it mean I can afford to buy one? Nope, not for a long time. Dont live with blinkers on. These are not just Aust. cars eny more, they are world wide collectables and for 300 that were made, 50% written off over time, millions of people world wide with millions of dollars to spend on cars.......you do the math!!!!!!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #42
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
As said elsewhere, a buyer of this magnetude will have a property portfolio, not just a house....Also an object no matter what it may be, is only worth what ever a buyer is willing to pay. If someone has the money, is willing to pay and the market dictates it (number of cashed up purchasers) then that's the price.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #43
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

can you list were these cars come from as i think you are doubling up on your stories and all the facts need to be known ?Which cars got $700 000 and the one for 420 000 had another car involved in that deal !!!! I know which car got the higher price but have been told in other stories that it got 700 000 so which cars are getting these prices or is it all speculation to pump the market up

anyone for a Daytona Cobra that just went for 8. 5 Million ???????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #44
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xxxxx
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #45
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Thumbs up

Quote:
The only collectable thing I have is every issue of Australian Muscle Car Magazine.

so have i and a couple of doubles one is edition 1 signed by FIRTHBARTLETT MOFFAT GOSS

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #46
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OSo why is it anyones problem here that he paid whatever he paid for it. The guy liked what he saw, thought it was worth it and bought it.

Now if he paid that ammoung for it, it only says one thing. He has a few mill stashed away, a couple of nice houses.

Now just because he has that type of money and can spend it like this does not necessarilly mean he is not smart. Any bet he is smart, becausehe has earned that million in the first place.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #47
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I paid 700k for a GTHO, I'd put it in a room with a moistless room with a vacuum so absolutely nothing could happen to it.
Paying that much almost prevents one from driving and enjoying the vehicle.

It isn't the same thing I know, but you can still go well with a 50k XW/Y (which when restored or properly maintained, are orgasmic).
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saml
Ok, basic question. How do you tell a genuine phase 3 from normal GT?

Reason? I knows someone who has a GT in original condition and they say it is a phase 3 and that its worth $$$$$$ how do you tell, what can I look for or find out to see if it actually a phase 3? From memory it is an XW GT (1970 or 1971?)
Visual Differences between GT and GTHO for respective models quickly off the top of my head:

1969 XW GTHO: 750 Holley Carb, alloy manifold, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO: hyd cam 351 cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO Phase 2: solid cam 351 Cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar, 5 slot rims, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.

1971 GTHO Phase 3: solid cam 351 Cleveland, extractors, 780 Holley carb, 1/2" bakerlite spacer, H engine code and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear spoiler, rear swaybar, Vacuum tank, brake proportioning valve, 6150 rev limiter, mechanical advance twin point dissy, blockoff plate on shaker, larger yellow altenator pulley, BOSS harmonic balancer, XA front Brakes, XA front stub axles, Wider finned rear drums, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.
Looking at an XYGT beside a XYGT Phase 3 the main differences are the front and rear spoiler and the shaker sits a bit higher out the bonnet, the Globe wheels werent originally fitted to the cars (5 slots were), and front and rear spoilers werent avaliable factory fitted on STD XYGT's.

Of coarse most XYGT's now have spoilers, globes and glovebox stickers so you need to look at the plate to tell!!!

There's more internal differences but these are the main visual ones.

Last edited by 4Vman; 16-11-2006 at 04:44 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #49
RS027
Perth XR5'er

I can't believe people are knocking this price sooo much. World heritage...pfffft. A GT40 means almost zero in my childhood memories, but a phase 3 HO features highly. I'm Australian and the HO has real history here. Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for a 1973 Porsche 2.7 RS lightweight, but a P3 will turn more heads at a car show in OZ.
Tomorrow if I won 8-9 million in lotto, would I buy a P3 for $1,000,000+.... Yep sure would for the right car. When money not an option you buy what the heart desires, no matter what the cost.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #50
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The GTHO muscle cars are a part of Australia's history, culture, and are almost a religion to some. Would I pay 700K for one? Probably. Would it be a good investment? Maybe. Would I care? No.

It is ireplacable piece of our history. Yes they are worth the $$$$.
Old 16-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #51
LilMissDrift

When you've got the money to play with Why not.. obviously its what they've wanted... I'd pay that IF.... i had that kinda money to joke around with!
~Spoiler

~*.No its NOT my Boyfriends Car.*~
LilMissDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #52
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems rebook has some catching up to do. They've got the PH3 HO down at $195,000.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #53
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Visual Differences between GT and GTHO for respective models quickly off the top of my head:

1969 XW GTHO: 750 Holley Carb, alloy manifold, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO: hyd cam 351 cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO Phase 2: solid cam 351 Cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar, 5 slot rims, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.

1971 GTHO Phase 3: solid cam 351 Cleveland, extractors, 780 Holley carb, 1/2" bakerlite spacer, H engine code and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear spoiler, rear swaybar, Vacuum tank, brake proportioning valve, 6150 rev limiter, mechanical advance twin point dissy, blockoff plate on shaker, larger yellow altenator pulley, BOSS harmonic balancer, XA front Brakes, XA front stub axles, Wider finned rear drums, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.
Looking at an XYGT beside a XYGT Phase 3 the main differences are the front and rear spoiler and the shaker sits a bit higher out the bonnet, the Globe wheels werent originally fitted to the cars (5 slots were), and front and rear spoilers werent avaliable factory fitted on STD XYGT's.

Of coarse most XYGT's now have spoilers, globes and glovebox stickers so you need to look at the plate to tell!!!

There's more internal differences but these are the main visual ones.
Is there something about the bonnet clips that differentiate between P3 or not?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #54
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Well there you go, for once redbook has got something right it:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saml
Is there something about the bonnet clips that differentiate between P3 or not?
Nup, same as GT.

Old 16-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #56
rushing on acid

800k for a p3??? must be the race version that was on the muscle car sales website.
i wouldnt pay that much for one race or road, i wouldnt even pa that much for a gt40. i dont want to offend anyone with what i just said.

since p3's are going for so much then would my xy fairmont be worth at least 70k???

one theory i have with these people who have desirable collector cars is what would happen if petrol runs out and there is no substatute for it, will they be worth the money you bought for them or more?? or will they be worth 300 bucks in scrap???

thats my 5 cents worth, as i said dont want to offend anyone.

one other thing if it doesnt have h.o stamped on the i.d plate then in my eyes it aint a h.o no ifs no buts.
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #57
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
Seems rebook has some catching up to do. They've got the PH3 HO down at $195,000.
Sounds about right for one without racing history.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I bet people were laughing at people paying $50k for a Phase 3 a few years ago. Who's laughing now?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #58
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I remember in my schooling days, probably around 1975, when Wheels Magazine said that by 1980, a Phase 3 would be worth up to $20,000. We all thought, what a rip off!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #59
BZINGA