Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: February 2013 Sales Figures - Shock as Nissan bumps Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Rudd did have a SYII Turbo Ghia in QLD... not sure if he still has it.
I think that would have been a Australian Federal Police vehicle, the turbo isn't available to parliamentarians.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I think that would have been a Australian Federal Police vehicle, the turbo isn't available to parliamentarians.
Maybe it was his private vehicle, they use to take it to church.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Rudd did have a SYII Turbo Ghia in QLD... not sure if he still has it.

As for the prime ministers car is that special? double glazed glass etc? I'm surprised it still keeps going with the age / kms it would have done now.
No, the PM's car is the full armour plated version. As is (or at least was) the Victorian Premiers. Only tell tale is the size of the black band around the windows is much thicker. The gov has about 1/2 doz of these, a mix of Caprice and Berlina. All with full security spec, including special tyres and hp upgrades. Well muffled of course.

Last edited by Elks; 04-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
And Rudd has a Prius. Abbott drives a LPG Falcon.
Julia probably sees them both as expendable.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Rudd has a Prius?! No wonder the ALP kicked the talented, but arrogant, chap from office.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking about the plight of the Falcon and Commodore and want opinions on the following.

When Falcon was in its heyday of the EF/EL models, they were the biggest selling car on the market. There are certain market parameters we need to ignore so we can compare apples to apples. In 1995, we had a weak dollar, less imports, import tarrifs, and we were coming out of the ingrained "Holden or Ford" kind of two horse race Australia had been in for thirty years.

Now, it is said that people are steering away from large 'gas guzzlers'. That may be true, but I did a quick check on size and dimensions of the EL Falcon (a large car in its day) compared to the latest Mazda 6 (a mid sized car in 2013), and also the current Mondeo.

EL Falcon GLi: Length 4906, Width 1453, Wheelbase 2791, kerb weight 1536kg.

Mazda 6: Length 4865, Width 1840, Wheelbase 2830, Kerb weight 1620kg.

Mondeo: Length 4778, width 1886, wheelbase 2850, kerb weight 1527kg.

The Mazda is 40mm shorter, 400mm wider, has a longer wheelbase and is 90kg heavier. The Mondeo is shorter than the EL Falcon, but bigger in every other dimension.

So, based on this rudimentary analysis, I conclude that people are driving the same sized car they always did, it's just that large cars got too ridiculously large. People stayed where they were. If the Falcon were Mondeo sized it would sell better. If the Commodore went back to the mid size they were with the VB-VL (large in their day, but probably Cruze size now), they would no doubt be more competitive too.

So, people haven't moved, the cars have (ignoring also the penchant for AWDs and Soft Roaders these days as well. Understandable how bad the roads are now. You need a 4WD just to drive to work). Discuss.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

EF Falcon was 1861 wide... Don't know where you got that figure from.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #38
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

All the additional safety features and crumple zones that Manufacturers need to squeeze into a car these days, while still trying to maintain the same interior dimensions, means that cars are getting larger externally.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #39
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
EF Falcon was 1861 wide... Don't know where you got that figure from.
Quite correct Dash GT -in error it seems I quoted the height not the width.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Look at their range. Other than Triton, that they are giving away, there isn't much there.
You would think Lancer could at least pull close to 1000 sales. Plus add in Outlander, Mirage and Pajero. We sold about 10 Mirages at our dealer in the last week.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #41
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Partly the cause I guess, very few people need monstrous sized battle tanks like the VE and FG anymore. No many have single car families with 3 kids these days. The fuel consumption of a near 2 ton sedan is just too far gone also, physics just don't agree with it and weight makes all aspects of a car worse..

In the old days they used to say the EH Holden was the perfectly sized sedan. The dimensions of the VB-VL were basically the same inside. I still think a sedan of that size is perfect. Park next to a VE in any other Commodore and you feel like the bob barker next to the nisshin maru.. The things are absurdly large.

I'm sure Holden and Ford were well aware these cars are too large many many years ago, probably very early in the VEs development, I guess they just hoped the trend would change... It didn't. And they both have cars that drive like bulk oil tankers. And burn about that much fuel while doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888 View Post
I've been thinking about the plight of the Falcon and Commodore and want opinions on the following.

When Falcon was in its heyday of the EF/EL models, they were the biggest selling car on the market. There are certain market parameters we need to ignore so we can compare apples to apples. In 1995, we had a weak dollar, less imports, import tarrifs, and we were coming out of the ingrained "Holden or Ford" kind of two horse race Australia had been in for thirty years.

Now, it is said that people are steering away from large 'gas guzzlers'. That may be true, but I did a quick check on size and dimensions of the EL Falcon (a large car in its day) compared to the latest Mazda 6 (a mid sized car in 2013), and also the current Mondeo.

EL Falcon GLi: Length 4906, Width 1453, Wheelbase 2791, kerb weight 1536kg.

Mazda 6: Length 4865, Width 1840, Wheelbase 2830, Kerb weight 1620kg.

Mondeo: Length 4778, width 1886, wheelbase 2850, kerb weight 1527kg.

The Mazda is 40mm shorter, 400mm wider, has a longer wheelbase and is 90kg heavier. The Mondeo is shorter than the EL Falcon, but bigger in every other dimension.

So, based on this rudimentary analysis, I conclude that people are driving the same sized car they always did, it's just that large cars got too ridiculously large. People stayed where they were. If the Falcon were Mondeo sized it would sell better. If the Commodore went back to the mid size they were with the VB-VL (large in their day, but probably Cruze size now), they would no doubt be more competitive too.

So, people haven't moved, the cars have (ignoring also the penchant for AWDs and Soft Roaders these days as well. Understandable how bad the roads are now. You need a 4WD just to drive to work). Discuss.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blame SUVs/softroaders. a large sedan has basically been made redundant by a similarly large 4wd that can (a) carry more, and (b) go places the sedan cant... not that most owners use them for either.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it's the massive decline in fleet sales as well as the SUV's making a the impact, but I still think the cars are too big. If they had stayed at the size they originally were, I suspect they may have fared better. The EL sold about 9,000 per month from memory (approx 90K per annum). It was the size people wanted and weighed 1.5 tonnes. The Mazda 6, Honda Euro and Mondeo are all that size but are considered medium, not large, in 2013. People who towed big boats and caravans with EL Falcs probably wouldn't consider it with any of the three cars I just named, even though power and torque figures (and GVM) are as good as or better than the EL. Perceptions.

The mid sized cars now are about the same size, are heavier than an EL was, and do quite well for themselves sales wise, though it seems nothing can stop the small car juggernaut. The Mazda 3 and Corolla do pretty well. A sign of the times for urban living, traffic jams and smaller families maybe.

I wonder how the Laser would have fared if it had remained modern and sold alongside the Mazda 3.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So...Holden has a had a massive slide, i wonder if this is just due to the commodore? Intersting point is that they only just achived 1000 more sales then Ford...when according to some people, Ford don't advertise enough of offer enough choices.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888 View Post
Yes it's the massive decline in fleet sales as well as the SUV's making a the impact, but I still think the cars are too big. If they had stayed at the size they originally were, I suspect they may have fared better. The EL sold about 9,000 per month from memory (approx 90K per annum). It was the size people wanted and weighed 1.5 tonnes. The Mazda 6, Honda Euro and Mondeo are all that size but are considered medium, not large, in 2013. People who towed big boats and caravans with EL Falcs probably wouldn't consider it with any of the three cars I just named, even though power and torque figures (and GVM) are as good as or better than the EL. Perceptions.

The mid sized cars now are about the same size, are heavier than an EL was, and do quite well for themselves sales wise, though it seems nothing can stop the small car juggernaut. The Mazda 3 and Corolla do pretty well. A sign of the times for urban living, traffic jams and smaller families maybe.

I wonder how the Laser would have fared if it had remained modern and sold alongside the Mazda 3.
What do you mean the Laser? We have the Focus which is much superior over the Mazda 3, but let down by pricing and availability. Mazda 3 now comes standard with alloys, a big hit with most people today (when will manufacturers learn hubcaps are so 1990?). If Focus was price pointed the same as 3 (say the Trend for 19990 in manual) and you could actually get stock then I think the Focus would trump the Mazda. If it couldn't it would be based on upon those poor perceptions people have of Ford, especially with respect to customer service!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So...Holden has a had a massive slide, i wonder if this is just due to the commodore? Intersting point is that they only just achived 1000 more sales then Ford...when according to some people, Ford don't advertise enough of offer enough choices.
Holden's got a few issues... VF will sink VE sales for the next few months, they wont be building many VE's now because they are starting to build test pilot VF's for employees. Cruze has also had some changes with a new motor and wagon variant so no doubt the factory has had some interruptions thanks to this.

Holden have a pretty poor line up if you think about it. The Captiva is dated and old now, only sold on price point alone, the Commodore is in runout mode waiting for its update, Cruze is now a few years old and also in runout mode, they have no "mid" size car (e.g. Epica). The Colorado is not as big of a hit as they had hoped (due to its looks and cheap interior). The Barina is still classed as a death trap by many. So really it will be interesting to see where Holden goes over the next 12 months. I can see Ford overtaking Holden if Ranger and Focus supply is kept up!

Maybe all those cheap Daewoo based cars will really hurt Holden. It was going to happen, but we all knew it would take time.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post

Really??
More like they forgot to register hundreds of dealer demos to artifically bump the numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #48
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Holden owners would hate to admit it that most of their line up is Daewoo. The Colorado is a joke and looks particularly bad in my opinion. Maybe the reason Holden is sliding, some of the brainwashed are starting to realize Australia's own is not so.. Ford has done quite well for the month I thought.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Never thought I'd see the day that the Ranger outsold the commodore.............
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Holden owners would hate to admit it that most of their line up is Daewoo.
Some of our more uncharitable brethren would suggest that the VF now resembles a Daewoo..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And Rudd has a Prius. Abbott drives a LPG Falcon.
That poor Falcon. Speaking of pollies, does anyone know why Gillard still has a WK/L Caprice? Is it just armoured with special material? or does she have an ***-groove thing going on like Homer Simpson and his couch?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
That poor Falcon. Speaking of pollies, does anyone know why Gillard still has a WK/L Caprice? Is it just armoured with special material? or does she have an ***-groove thing going on like Homer Simpson and his couch?
Yeah its armoured and cost a couple of hundred thousand, which is probably why theres no rush to replace it. Probably got bugger all kms on it too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #53
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
it is a pity more australians don't support australian built

I just bought a new XR6 LE ute

Doin' my bit
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #54
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Ford and Holden fans should do a deal. We buy the Cruze if they buy the Terri.

The Focus and Captiva arent made/assembled here.

Put Australia first I say.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #55
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good in theory but would you buy a cruise over a focus... I know I wouldn't. Even then I prefer the Fiesta, little smaller but hundreds of kilos lighter and that makes my day more fun, still fits a pram and baby seat
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #56
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
Sounds good in theory but would you buy a cruise over a focus... I know I wouldn't. Even then I prefer the Fiesta, little smaller but hundreds of kilos lighter and that makes my day more fun, still fits a pram and baby seat
I wouldn't! And I looked at both of them in January!

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #57
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
Ford and Holden fans should do a deal. We buy the Cruze if they buy the Terri.

The Focus and Captiva arent made/assembled here.

Put Australia first I say.
Not a chance, Focus is miles ahead of Cruze. There is a long line of other small cars before I go the Cruze.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #58
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

The Hyundai Veloster has really caught my eye at the moment, what a cool car!
Great value too... makes you wonder how mediocre cars like the Cruze actually find homes...?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of the worlds longest election campaign, wouldn't it be great if the Government and opposition actually fully reviewed Australian vehicle manufacturing and looked at everything?

Tariffs, FBT, GST, incentives, government sales, depreciation concessions, R&D grants, Austrade missions etc?

There hasn't been a holistic look at car making in years.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
The Hyundai Veloster has really caught my eye at the moment, what a cool car!
Great value too... makes you wonder how mediocre cars like the Cruze actually find homes...?
Cruze is probably a better car than a Veloster, especially the 1.4 turbo