Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Paul Gover "Ford's Inept Marketing Dept"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I'm sorry but I don't buy this. Mustang is 2 door which renders it impractical and useless for my needs and therefore gets crossed off my list instantly. Fiesta and Focus are glorified fwd buzz boxes and don't even come near matching the Falcon for performance or space. Chalk and cheese. Mondeo? Fwd rubbish. SUV's? No thanks.
Once Falcon is gone there is nothing that even comes close to replacing it in the rest of the range. Ditto with Holden, unless they bring in a US built RWD sedan.
Quite right. There sadly will be no direct Falcon replacement. But the Fiesta ST and Focus ST as well as Mustang provide something that Holden don't / wont? have, desirable performance options to keep younger buyers interested. I love Falcon's, I have 3, but many younger people have little interest in a large sedan or ute. And that's were Ford are in the box seat by offering smaller hot hatches, and a V8 Mustang for those want the sound and fury.

Another way to look at, Ford dropped the V8 and lost generations of buyers/fans to Holden who maintained a performance focus through racing and V8 Commodores. The tables are turning, with Ford set maintain the enthusiast buyer.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #32
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think they hit rock bottom with the FG Falcon "fingers" ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFHZZpzM9U

She's so bored out of her mind in the XR6 Turbo that she begins hallucinating, then snaps out of it mid-commercial to reveal a Falcon swerving randomly on a straight piece of highway in the middle of nowhere for absolutely no reason with the added danger of towing a jetski. Solid effort.
What a complete JOKE !!!! WTF, I have never seen such totally unrelated to what you are trying to sell rubbish in all my LIFE !!! I dont rekon we even got this add in SA.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #33
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

We've known for years that Ford's marketing department has been inept. This has been done deliberately by Dearborn to try and ween people off the Falcon. The problem with this tactic is it has backfired as it has made the whole Ford brand toxic in Australia.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #34
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
We've known for years that Ford's marketing department has been inept. This has been done deliberately by Dearborn to try and ween people off the Falcon. The problem with this tactic is it has backfired as it has made the whole Ford brand toxic in Australia.
I don't really think that's the case. Their advertising for the rest of the range has been equally pathetic.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Double Post.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #36
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
I believe Ford intentionally failed to adverise because they needed the Australian market for our locally produced vehicles to decline so they could justify its production halt and go on with their plan for one factory to produce all rear wheel drive vehicles to supply the world. Australia clearly wasn't an option for this due to our high production costs regardless of the quality.
Holden spent up big, advertising the bejesus out of the Commodore to secure two thirds more sales per month...and are still shutting up shop.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Holden need to advertise now more than ford, they have much more to lose.

They have 230 ish dealerships, commodore makes up around 50% of total Holden sales, if I have the numbers right.

How many dealers do they need to sell half as many cars?

Ford has a better product, and is already much less reliant on falcon to prop up dealers.

Holden needs to spruik crap product as good product, while convincing their faithful repeat buyers that a craptiva is a suitable replacement for a ss ute...
Exactly. Ford are getting cars like the mustang which will have HUGE market presence based on prices so far quoted, made in the USA in RHD, with V8's available.
Holden will get what to replace their muscle car styled commodore? A 4cylinder replacement made by Daewoo?
Holden have to spruik because they will struggle to keep their fanbase with 4 cylinder daewoo cars like the Epica, Cruze and Malibu. Put simply, they're trying to save face.
Ford don't need to save face as they have the product to ensure success, and I mean cars like focus, fiesta, mustang and the territory replacement.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #38
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Exactly. Ford are getting cars like the mustang which will have HUGE market presence based on prices so far quoted, made in the USA in RHD, with V8's available.
Holden will get what to replace their muscle car styled commodore? A 4cylinder replacement made by Daewoo?
Holden have to spruik because they will struggle to keep their fanbase with 4 cylinder daewoo cars like the Epica, Cruze and Malibu. Put simply, they're trying to save face.
Ford don't need to save face as they have the product to ensure success, and I mean cars like focus, fiesta, mustang and the territory replacement.

I saw a new Chev camaro on a rural Queensland rd yesterday.
Camaro v Mustang?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #39
Struggo

Way back when a company would inform the potential customer of the benefits,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-m4oF-8C0
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I saw a new Chev camaro on a rural Queensland rd yesterday.
Camaro v Mustang?
There is one in Rocky and a Shelby....
Old 25-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even Harley Davidson advertise on TV !!!
Old 25-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford Oz Marketing Department offices.....

Yes the metaphor for intellectually vacuous (or no idea) is good, however its obviously the wrong gender.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #43
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You don't need marketing department when you're totally connected with your market,
the problem begins when you start listening to marketing geniuses who tell you to do other things
and your customers go away......

Over the past 15 years,Holden and Ford have let competitors large midsized cars and SUVs walk all over their
local products without a significant or satisfactory response, every suggestion to modify local large cars has been
greeted with nope, our buyers don't want that or we have global cars and SUVs to do that...but guess what?
All Ford Australia and Holden did was consign local manufacturing to history, as a producer you change or die.
Wrong..."Good" or effective Marketing CREATES the market, defines (or re-defines) "needs" and engineers market expectations and aspirations - not the reverse. (Pro-active Market engineering)

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 25-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
Wrong..."Good" or effective Marketing CREATES the market, defines (or re-defines) "needs" and engineers market expectations and aspirations - not the reverse. (Pro-active Market engineering)
LOL, get your sarcasm monitor fixed....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The big issue for Holden is GM seemingly not wanting to ever get Camaro or Corvette built in RHD. So Holden have no easy performance option to switch to once Commodore goes, unlike Ford with the Mustang and a lesser extent Fiesta and Focus ST and RS.

They don't have much else to choose from, the Opal OPC cars have already been sent packing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #46
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I really don't buy the conspiracy theory. Yes Ford marketing is inept, but so is their warranty support and dealer network. Was that also part of the big conspiracy? What about making Territories for years that had an engineering fault in the front suspension?

Truth is Ford Australia are just bad at everything except at some engineering. I think the engineers at Ford got some good stuff done despite the rest of the company.
A culture of cost cutting, shonky shortcuts and doing stuff the "Ford Australia" way - like they did in the seventies and never stopped doing. Loss of customer and goodwill be dammed. Meanwhile the dealers ran as a cartel and did what they pleased.

I think Ford US is deluding themselves that the Mustang is somehow going to fix their woes at Ford Australia.

It was the engineers at Ford Australia who sold cars - who put something special into Falcon, that made people put up with the dealers and the shonky warranty and recall practices of Ford Australia. Everyone else basically did their best to stuff it all up. That is the Ford Australia culture and its still alive and well.

Mustang won't know what hit it, when Ford Australia are finished with the car.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 27-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #47
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Your talking like ford aus is the only dealer network and car brand to stuff up customers. If you look up the stats...ford is by far not the worst of Australian publics problems. The commodore is the most recalled car in Australia over the years. (Now some naively suggest because it's sold far more, but what happened to learning and improving as you go?) The 'other' forums have the same threads with customer problems.
This year alone has been far worse for vw in aus then ford!

I'd love to see the. "Built Ford Tough" campaign back
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #48
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford can equal or beat this commercial at least the Falcon can have one last hurrah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaLxN5FIjE
It was one of the reasons I got mine.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #49
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Your talking like ford aus is the only dealer network and car brand to stuff up customers. If you look up the stats...ford is by far not the worst of Australian publics problems. The commodore is the most recalled car in Australia over the years. (Now some naively suggest because it's sold far more, but what happened to learning and improving as you go?) The 'other' forums have the same threads with customer problems.
This year alone has been far worse for vw in aus then ford!

I'd love to see the. "Built Ford Tough" campaign back
Oh please. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to prop up your flawed argument. What recalls have to do with the thread topic and how you managed to find a correlation is beyond me....But now that you mention it, yes, Holden has had it's fair share of recalls over the years, just about every manufacturer has, but don't you think it was better to handle the recalls quickly, proactively and professionally like Holden has, unlike Ford who denied and denied, sat on their hands, swept everything under the carpet while thousands of their customers drove vehicles with potentially lethal faults? It was only pressure from the media that forced them into acting on the brake line and ball joint issues. This was an absolutely deplorable attitude by Ford which burnt many many customers.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #50
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

The 'walking fingers' ad campaign for the FG was the worst thing Ive ever seen.

Clearly devised by women who do not understand men. Some women do understand men, alas they werent behind this campaign!

Last edited by turbodewd; 27-12-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #51
stevz
Banned

Watching TV this evening I notice there is new Focus ad that is so cringeworthy that it makes me feel like putting my fist through my tv screen.
They will never learn. Ever.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'm also seeing a lot less Commodore ads, I wonder why......

Plenty with the Holden boof heads saying they'll still be here after production ends...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #53
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree the new Focus add blows.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh please. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to prop up your flawed argument. What recalls have to do with the thread topic and how you managed to find a correlation is beyond me....But now that you mention it, yes, Holden has had it's fair share of recalls over the years, just about every manufacturer has, but don't you think it was better to handle the recalls quickly, proactively and professionally like Holden has, unlike Ford who denied and denied, sat on their hands, swept everything under the carpet while thousands of their customers drove vehicles with potentially lethal faults? It was only pressure from the media that forced them into acting on the brake line and ball joint issues. This was an absolutely deplorable attitude by Ford which burnt many many customers.
Wow. you know whats going on. Are you in the game? Cause the ball joint issue was handled poorly. Looks lie 1tuffute is 1eyed.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

needs to market with excitement in mind ala Mazda

Last edited by Gadgetman; 28-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #56
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
My comment relates because like I said, Id love to see the 'Built Ford Tough' campaign back. Something ford could run with without coping unfair criticism due to the fact their cars are far less problematic then many other brands.
And your naive if you think ford is the only brand that's handled a situation as badly as the terri situation.
Last year ford was second or third from memory in the world for reliable cars, with porshe taking the gong. Ford Australia is and will be selling these very cars here from now on!
Old 28-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #57
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
My comment relates because like I said, Id love to see the 'Built Ford Tough' campaign back. Something ford could run with without coping unfair criticism due to the fact their cars are far less problematic then many other brands.
And your naive if you think ford is the only brand that's handled a situation as badly as the terri situation.
Last year ford was second or third from memory in the world for reliable cars, with porshe taking the gong. Ford Australia is and will be selling these very cars here from now on!

Not sure what planet you're living on, but it's certainly not Earth...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ill-job-1.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...rvey/index.htm

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...01/131029889/#

Plenty more links where they came from... You only have to do a google search.

Last edited by stevz; 28-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 28-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #58
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

No offence but those sources are not only rubbish....they're American stats in there aswell. They work out formulas for future problems going by a mixture of polls from THEIR OWN readers and a 1milion pool review. Hardly applicable as America has very few brands sold there. My stats weren't this years either as I stated...but they were Global.
I shall find the article I commented about.....it's GLOBAL and records EVERY recall, complaint and issue.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #59
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Stevie you need to buy a Holden V8

Oh yeah, I forgot, that's your dream car.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #60
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Everyone seems to be blaming Ford marketing, I agree they should be doing more, but there are a lot of other factors that lead to Ford shutting down manufacturing in Australia. I love my Fords but the AU was an ugly car that turned a lot of people away from Ford. But I think the biggest issue Ford had was the media, every time a new Falcon came out, right from the XD, the headline was always the same, "Is this the last Falcon?". I don't waste my money on mags like Wheels or Motor because of their blatant anti Ford bias.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post