Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #31
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Traded AUII to BFII.

Nuff said...

Only good thing i can think of is the higher saftey rating..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I regret buying my Focus, not a bad car, but just dont enjoy driving it as much as my previous cars.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #33
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I regret buying my G6ET. Because at the time I wasn't able to keep my ute as well.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #34
Jimmyd
Banned

R31 Silohette - one owner, low ks and no rust; loved the classic square shape and it went like stink, but some rock ape had broken every single electrical connector on the EFI system. Every couple of weeks she would drop cylenders and die so I had to get out screw around under the bonnet to get it running again...

Still regret selling it and not just replacing the engine harness.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #35
CODSASR

regret buying my EF GLI because I traded in my ED XR6 and 2 months after getting the EF the head gasket blew went to get the dealer to fix it but low and behold he closed down :S

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #36
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I regret buying new my BF Mk2 XR. Although it's only travelled 10,000kms, it has lost way too much in value, even with these kays. Thinking about it, if I used that cash and whacked it on my mortgage, my home would be totally mine! sh$t happens!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only single car I regret buying was back around 1985. It was what appeared to be a pristine 1979 UC Torana. Which turned out to need a total of $600 worth of work done to the front end a month or so later. I wasn't happy, and the dealership didn't want to know about it. I went to small claims to enquire, but seeing as how the repairs had been done and paid for, they said it would be hard to push a case and probably cost money.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #38
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I regret buying new my BF Mk2 XR. Although it's only travelled 10,000kms, it has lost way too much in value, even with these kays. Thinking about it, if I used that cash and whacked it on my mortgage, my home would be totally mine! sh$t happens!
One of the few problems will Ford's is they don't hold there value unlike a Holden or other brand. I got my BF II cheaply but now I see them under what I paid just over 12mths ago. Oh well. I generally keep them 5 years or till they are 10 years old, then get rid of them. Don't want to pay for all the worn parts ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #39
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I regret buying my first car, a TP Magna. 3000 dollars up in a cloud of engine smoke in only 6 months.

The other only car I regretted buying was an AU2 XR6 VCT. Used more fuel than my XR8 only to be more gutless than a XR6 HP. And buying it blew out my loan to triple over the cars value (my stupid fault i know).
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I regret getting an Egas RTV. Not because it is a terrible car but because of the terrible consumption (18-20L/100km). Not to mention the lower power. I doubt it is saving anything over a petrol one. We should have just got a petrol one and converted it.

Having said that though it has actually been the most reliable car I have ever had. We have had it since Aug 08 and have done near on 60,000km and it has never had a warranty claim (one recall though). Unlike every other car I have owned - 2 Falcons, 2 Mazdas and 2 Hyundais - all new.

It did however wear out the front pads and rotors after 45,000km. I didn't touch the brakes on my BA in 150,000km other than a front pad change at 90,000km.
Unless LPG is kept down to about a third or less the price of petrol, LPG conversions don't actually save you any money. When LPG first became popular (in anything other than taxis), petrol was about 60 cents a liter, and LPD was only about 12 cents a liter. It hovered around 30 cents a liter for quite a while there, but then LPG conversions became more popular and the government got dollar signs in it's eyes so we now see the price at ludicrous levels, seeing as how it is virtually free to produce...it's exported overseas at a price of a couple of cents a liter.

Back on topic: I do regret buying one other car: a 1980 four cylinder VC Commodore auto. Comfortable, fuel efficent...but slooooow. A 2 liter Cortina could walk all over you. But I regret buying it mainly because two weeks after purchase a friend offered me his XY Fairmont 302 auto for $1800, and only days later another friends father told me he was selling his one-owner XB-GS 302 with factory air, power windows and steering, and immaculate red and black paint with black interior, for $5000...I'd paid $6500 for the four cylinder Commodore...you bet I was regretting it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #41
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
One of the few problems will Ford's is they don't hold there value unlike a Holden or other brand.
I just sold my Dec 07 Mazda 6 MPS. I got $26.5K privately for it as a 3yo car. It cost $55K new. So they all depreciate, especially the "toys"

It was an interesting car. Twice as good in every aspect to my BA2 XR6T(manual) but only half the fun. It was a rocket that stuck to the road like a limpet but had no soul.

I remember my first drive in it after trading my Falcon and thinking of the mistake I had just made.
Old 27-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #42
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ugh, my "rice" phase and the R32 GTR that i pumped the GDP of a small country into.

I shudder to think how much coin i lost when I sold it much to my better half's satisfaction

And to think I was looking at an XW/XY instead.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #43
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Not sure if it's a regret, probably more a hindsight thing...

I wouldn't buy a brand new GT again when I had the intention to undertake a lot of modifications.

In retrospect, I should have brought a nice clean secondhand version. It makes a little more sense to remove and replace secondhand parts than it does brand new ones. Just a little.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #44
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Unless LPG is kept down to about a third or less the price of petrol, LPG conversions don't actually save you any money.
I beg to differ and I don't want to go too far off topic. So all I will say is that a good conversion will save me around $1250 in fuel costs per year (petrol here is $1.45 and LPG $0.75). So over a 5 year period it should have saved over $6000 plus I should have better resale (say another maybe $1000) minus the rebate. So it should have saved around $3-4000 over the period I would have had it.

Getting almost back to topic, when an Egas is using almost twice the amount of fuel as a petrol, it is not saving anything, hence why I regret getting it. The only saving grace is we got it for the same price as a petrol one and should be worth more when we sell it.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I beg to differ and I don't want to go too far off topic. So all I will say is that a good conversion will save me around $1250 in fuel costs per year (petrol here is $1.45 and LPG $0.75). So over a 5 year period it should have saved over $6000 plus I should have better resale (say another maybe $1000) minus the rebate. So it should have saved around $3-4000 over the period I would have had it.

Getting almost back to topic, when an Egas is using almost twice the amount of fuel as a petrol, it is not saving anything, hence why I regret getting it. The only saving grace is we got it for the same price as a petrol one and should be worth more when we sell it.
It always amuses me that people who mod their car to save a tiny amount of money at the expense of performance and storage space assume that anyone interested in buying their car will NOT also be a tight **** and want to pay as little as possible for it........

But as far as regretting buying a car, yes I have bought some that were far bigger problems than they should have been but IT WAS ALWAYS MY FAULT.

I chose them. I bought them. I drove them. I sold them.

I do not blame others for what I do......

(and the worst ones I have owned are not ones I would detail here as it would draw the crabs in a HUGE way)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I just sold my Dec 07 Mazda 6 MPS. I got $26.5K privately for it as a 3yo car. It cost $55K new. So they all depreciate, especially the "toys"

It was an interesting car. Twice as good in every aspect to my BA2 XR6T(manual) but only half the fun. It was a rocket that stuck to the road like a limpet but had no soul.

I remember my first drive in it after trading my Falcon and thinking of the mistake I had just made.
I just looked up the 6 mps. Looks like someone got a bargain from you. I've done the same myself bought a 1995 S-coupe Hyundai in 1997 for $8000, then insured it for $17,000 market value. I guess as always it's just a matter of what the market will bare at the time of sale.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regreted buying

XD Fairmont Ghia
DA LTD

Not bad from 40+ cars
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It always amuses me that people who mod their car to save a tiny amount of money at the expense of performance and storage space assume that anyone interested in buying their car will NOT also be a tight **** and want to pay as little as possible for it........
Yes the Egas is a POS but please enlighten me on the drawbacks of a liquid injection converted ute or the upcoming Ford system (assumming it is as expected)?

Forgive me for trying to reduce fuel costs by one third. Atleast you get some amusement out of it.

Last edited by naddis01; 27-02-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #49
sirlc6

Selling my Ef xr6 for a n15 pulsar did it to save money in fuel about 3 months after owning I needed to rebuild the motor. I did save money on fuel but lost so much when I sold the pulsar. We all learn I guess no way will I do it again I now own a au2 xr6 leather premium sound and tickford 17s narooma blue best car I have owned by far! Also regret selling my first car hj kingswood painted candy apple violet with a grey boot.
Cheers Paul.
sirlc6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #50
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Never regretted any of my Ford purchases 2 XFs, and AU Ute, BA ute and FG Ute. Only thing i ever regret supporting, was downsizing Dad when he retired to a Subuaru Liberty. It was the first model, about 15 or so moths since launch. Dad thought he wanted a smaller car, and compared to the XF he was given from his company (after driving an EA Spack for 3 years), it seemed the goods. Was year it won quality var of year!!

Power windows, sunroof, AWD blah blah blah. The thing was a lemon - more problems than you could poke a stick out. After a tiring 120,000km, was traded for 2nd hand EF Fairmont Ghia - thankfully they never drove the Liberty...I remeber Dad driving the EF home..."I missed this"..and he is so not the car person!
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Stuffed my shoulder and regret selling my manual E1 R8 for a BFII Ghia that I've spent countless dollars on getting it reliable. Here's what happened at 7am in the morning, 2 days after trading my car and on my way to a job that would have netted me $1000.

A massive knock in the rear end up until yesterday has pretty much been solved and another $1k. I'm full of regret buying another Ghia - at least this time I didn't get hit with insane depreciation.

Yes, that's fuel.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #52
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I sometimes regret buying my patrol, it hasnt ever stopped but just had a few annoying issues which are finally fixed, so at this very moment i don't regret it at all lol, i do regret selling my eb gli, was a top car
Old 27-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #53
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The only regret I had was trading from my EL XR8 to a BA XR6. More to the fact I missed the EL than anything related to the BA. Though I'm far happier with the FG XR6.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #54
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have never bought a car on tick/finance so have no regrets on any purchases, the most $$$ I've lost would have been 2 grand on a BMW 5 series but that was over 18 months of ownership.

I do regret selling my last AU coon, was on 570,000k when I sold it, original engine, head had never been off, towed 2 tonne easy, returned under 8l/100km highway, I wanted to get her up to a mill but ohh well.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes the Egas is a POS but please enlighten me on the drawbacks of a liquid injection converted ute or the upcoming Ford system (assumming it is as expected)?

Forgive me for trying to reduce fuel costs by one third. Atleast you get some amusement out of it.
The fact that you are trying to save money by using a fuel that is only cheap because it has not been taxed very much yet (and before the LPG zealots arc up remember the current government stated only a few months ago that there would never be a carbon tax) is irrelevant. It is a falcon so it will always cost more to run than a toyota/hyundai/whatever.

The amusing part is that you think that people who are looking at buying old second had cars and are considering LPG to make it as cheap as possible to own would actually pay MORE for the vehicle.
Old 27-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #56
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The fact that you are trying to save money by using a fuel that is only cheap because it has not been taxed very much yet (and before the LPG zealots arc up remember the current government stated only a few months ago that there would never be a carbon tax) is irrelevant. It is a falcon so it will always cost more to run than a toyota/hyundai/whatever.

The amusing part is that you think that people who are looking at buying old second had cars and are considering LPG to make it as cheap as possible to own would actually pay MORE for the vehicle.
Show me the Hyundai that has the (relative) comfort of a car that can carry a tonne.

Its amusing that Redbook says a 5yo RTV IS worth more than a petrol one.

Anyway enough said. Moving on...
Old 27-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #57
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well that's a different way of looking at it...

I regret trading my EF Fairmont for my last car, AUII Fairmont Ghia 75th Anniversary. The EF was my first car, I knew everything about it, all it's little quirks, noises, it was bullet proof, never let me down, I drove that car down some lighter 4x4 tracks and she took it with no problems (the ride height rivalled a Patrol...), mud, sand, the lot. And I had the interior smelling an awesome type of vanilla, never was able to get the AU the same, and never enjoyed driving or owning that car as much as the EF. When I bought my ute I was not sad to see the AU go.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #58
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Show me the Hyundai that has the (relative) comfort of a car that can carry a tonne.

Its amusing that Redbook says a 5yo RTV IS worth more than a petrol one.

Anyway enough said. Moving on...
There are lots of them, iLoad is the first that comes to mind. And very few falcons can actually carry a tonne and drive well.

Redbook has an entry for dodgy aftermarket modded cars?
Or just original factory LPG?
Old 27-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I sort of regret owning cars all together, such a waste of money LOL. I would have had about $50,000 if I didn't buy two new cars in the last three years haha.

This is going to be my last one for a long time I think, a property/house is going to be the next one on the agenda for expensive purchases.

Also the iLoad is a VERY good van for its price.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #60
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

iload i dont think you can compare that in comfort to a falcon.
and it can barly drag its *** up a hill empty
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post