Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Surely you aren't saying that the police only pull people over if they have done something stupid like speeding or whatever...

That is not quite true... I have been pulled over randomly.. it was for a supposed breath test...
Nope. I have been pulled over for a 'hello' talk as well. This will happen if the police are driving a candy car with flashing lights and all sirens blazing or driving around in a Camry with a bowls hat on the parcel shelf.

But if you went past them doing 40 k's over the limit, because you didnt know they were cops, and you got done, doesnt mean the cops are the ones in the wrong? If you get done doing this, its a fair cop _2:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #32
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickXR
I don't have a problem with this
I too have been pulled over fair bit for random tests, must be those quad headlights that attracts them
Can't blame them for envy mate :evil_laug

Seriously though they don't look at car they just test you for drinking and then let you go
No problem there from me
I haven't had a problem with it either but one cop did actually go over my car just recently (had a chuckle too the bugga at my oops spot).. said he liked it and wanted one but his wife wouldn't allow him to have a Ford.. Yes, I had a smart comment to make but thankfully that time he realised I wasn't being nasty, just strange :

But in saying this, I am not so sure I would be keen to pull over if it were a Taxi.. I think I would do what I was told by a copper once, if you are unsure, ring 000 - give location etc and see if a car is there.. tell them that you are not pulling up until you either reach a service station or a police station.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #33
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
But if you went past them doing 40 k's over the limit, because you didnt know they were cops, and you got done, doesnt mean the cops are the ones in the wrong? If you get done doing this, its a fair cop _2:
I would have no problems with being busted in that scenario either, and I certainly would not be blaming the police (only one person to blame when speeding usually)..

I am meaning a dark road, late night, them in a taxi with lights flashing.. pulling people over because 'they can' not cos you were doing something idiotic..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #34
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

You might find there are actually cops who are designated to do highway and then those on general duties to catch those bank robbers. If there is a call on the radio about bank robbers and there aren't enough GD's the highway cops have been known to go and help out. So they do have their bases covered so to speak.

Sometimes the ones who pull you over are just doing it cause they're bored and there isn't much else going on.
angelwithinvisiblewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #35
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
anything is legal when you write the rules.

Again, I really like this Jimmy...it's funny cause its true
Old 17-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I would have no problems with being busted in that scenario either, and I certainly would not be blaming the police (only one person to blame when speeding usually)..

I am meaning a dark road, late night, them in a taxi with lights flashing.. pulling people over because 'they can' not cos you were doing something idiotic..

Yep. Being pulled over repeatedly is a different argument though and it is annoying when you are doing all thats required.

If a Taxi pulled me over for doing nothing on a dark road late at night, I would really think twice about stopping if I knew I was doing nothing wrong. If I was being stupid (which I sometimes am :Reverend: ) and then saw the smallest of blue light, I know its for me and why.

By the way I saw a Holden Adventura today pull someone over. Even the rear number plates were flashing in unisen which I had a chuckle about and then made mental not...."Watch for dark tinted windowed Adventura's when doing things I am not meant to do!" (which I dont for anyone that maybe watching : )

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #37
335JET
@jas_23_

i cant believe this,
correct me if im wrong but isnt this Entrapment.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #38
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

i beleive you, and what a load of ****. they want to fine people.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #39
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwithinvisiblewings
“Using taxis as de facto police vehicles has been a highly successful operation and as simple as it is, was the result of some excellent police work combined with outstanding support from the taxi industry.”
I always had fears they were going to do something like this, but I thought that the taxi companies wouldn't want the bad reputation. I know if I saw black and white cabs were supporting it I'd boycot them for sure, and probably write a letter to them in disgust if I could be bothered (which I never am) :P

I just can't believe the taxi companies are supporting this but there you have it, I guess they can't really object to supporting it anyway if they wanted to. They'd probably get slandered like "X cab company refuses to support police campaign to save lives" and so on.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #40
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 4LTR
i cant believe this,
correct me if im wrong but isnt this Entrapment.
Absolutely not. You choose to speed or do the wrong thing. Entrapment is if they force you to do it under false pretence. You speed past a 'cop' car and get done.........your responsible for your actions.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #41
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i actually thought entrapment was a USA thing,cops in Australia have used it for decades.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #42
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
i actually thought entrapment was a USA thing,cops in Australia have used it for decades.

I'm not being a smart **** just wondering what you mean...what have the Aussie cops done? An example...

I'm just trying hard to think of something myself for the sake of understanding the entrapment theory and the actual meaning of the word.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #43
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Cops are crafty. Ive heard of them driving around in a V8 lexan (commodore with lexan badging).

However a statement was released today:

Quote:
Police trialling taxi's

The police minister announced today that they will be deemphasising the police marked car and concentrating efforts on the taxi police vechical.

"Its fantastic!" said officer Dilby. "You can do anything in them, drive on the footpath, drive down wrong way streets, cut across 3 lanes of traffic and no one says a thing, even without the police lights on. People have become so used to irradic driving taxis, that they just don't care about them. In a marked police car, people freak out and drive extremely strangely, but with the taxi they just don't care."

He also notes, "and we never had anyone try to use us as a conventional taxi, as everyone knows only one in 20 taxis ever seem to stop."

However the police minister has aired a less popular idea with officers, officers performing taxi duties. "They are driving about on general duties, they might as well earn their keep by picking up paying passengers during quieter times. In NSW we have been purchasing LPG falcons for a while, so its the next obvious step. We need to make up the short fall as speed camera income has been in decline. We are also offering advertising space, just like real taxis on the boot as another source of income."
What was that movie with billy crystal and that black guy, where their police car was a yellow cab, with bullet proof windows. That was pretty funny.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #44
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Iphido where did you find that?
Old 17-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #45
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

is it legal cause its legal thems the cops ha ha ha :
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #46
HLC
Audi S3

i can top that.

yesterday on the great western highway at werrington (sydney)

i saw a boy in blue in a HOLDEN CRUZE- that little hatchback high sitting whatever it is thing. was pulled over, and he was talking on his radio... dunno whether he had a hair dryer or not, with a mate parked around the corner...
Old 17-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #47
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i can top that.

i saw a boy in blue in a HOLDEN CRUZE- that little hatchback high sitting whatever it is thing. was pulled over, and he was talking on his radio... dunno whether he had a hair dryer or not, with a mate parked around the corner...
Rofl the only thing that could catch is a barina
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #48
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwithinvisiblewings
Again, I really like this Jimmy...it's funny cause its true

Seriously mate since you have been old enough to remember how many things has the government re written to cover its ****.

Like all those people who were fined and should have been. they re wrote the rules in nsw so no one could get the money back. :Reverend:

My View is. POLICE should be in MARKED police cars.

except for undercover work. having a presence is better than hiding in a taxi. Wouldnt it be better if people saw the police out rather than then getting them after the act. It might make people wake up a bit.

But speeding is only an issue because its made to be an issue like smoking or cancer or anything else that kills you. A form of control without the people knowing its control.

yet the funny thing is the NSW govt. owns shares in phillip morris. :

I could go on all night but we have to deal with **** like this because as i said when you write the rule book you can do as you please but if your below the line what hope does anyone have.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #49
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

I don't understand the issue here.

Seriously.

People whinge if theres; too many cops, too little cops, lazy cops, cops that go out of their way to do their work, unmarked/plain cloths cops and the one that tops it is the speed kills advertising with the cop holding the speed radar, 'oh its so intimidating.'

THIS IS A STUPID THREAD. Who cares if cops are driving around in unmarked cars and if you get pulled over. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT IT??

I applaud those that have recognised what entrapment is: "In jurisprudence, entrapment is a legal defense by which a defendant may argue that he or she should not be held criminally liable for actions which broke the law, because they were induced (or entrapped) by the police to commit said acts. For the defense to be successful, the defendant must demonstrate that the police induced an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime. However, when a person is predisposed to commit a crime, offering opportunities to commit the crime is not entrapment." Entrapment, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Remember, if you're not breaking the law, you will not be charged.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #50
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Does the vehicle have Taxi plates?

If it does, it may have no right to pull you over. If not, they wouldnt be that hard to spot.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #51
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Does the vehicle have Taxi plates?

If it does, it may have no right to pull you over. If not, they wouldnt be that hard to spot.
i wish i had enough time on the road to check out the number plates on taxi's. why not concentrate on your driving instead of not getting caught,
if you do the right thing, you will not be fined... how hard is this to understand?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #52
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
I don't understand the issue here.

Seriously.

People whinge if theres; too many cops, too little cops, lazy cops, cops that go out of their way to do their work, unmarked/plain cloths cops and the one that tops it is the speed kills advertising with the cop holding the speed radar, 'oh its so intimidating.'

THIS IS A STUPID THREAD. Who cares if cops are driving around in unmarked cars and if you get pulled over. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT IT??

I applaud those that have recognised what entrapment is: "In jurisprudence, entrapment is a legal defense by which a defendant may argue that he or she should not be held criminally liable for actions which broke the law, because they were induced (or entrapped) by the police to commit said acts. For the defense to be successful, the defendant must demonstrate that the police induced an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime. However, when a person is predisposed to commit a crime, offering opportunities to commit the crime is not entrapment." Entrapment, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Remember, if you're not breaking the law, you will not be charged.
The issue is not that they are doing they're job,enforcing the law,the issue is its sneaky,and the cynical among us see it as just another form of revenue raising.
Is it not better to prevent crime,than clean up after the fact?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #53
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
The issue is not that they are doing they're job,enforcing the law,the issue is its sneaky,and the cynical among us see it as just another form of revenue raising.
Yes. The first intelligent arguement against the use of a Taxi so far and agree wholeheartedly! Better than..."..punching them in the face..."

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #54
Ozfords

Quote:
That's for the schools and parents to deal with. And to a degree our unions in maintaining workplace rights so no has an excuse to go and do bad.

Police are a huge degree a reactive force. We do our best to enforce laws that stop serious crime. There is a ticket for not locking your car doors and speeding tickets.

I know I'd rather be giving a punter a speeding ticket then having to complete an entire charge of Negligent Driving Occasioning Death, saves me having to attach the body tag to the victim as well.

- XH Snorkel
Old 17-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #55
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
That's for the schools and parents to deal with. And to a degree our unions in maintaining workplace rights so no has an excuse to go and do bad.

Police are a huge degree a reactive force. We do our best to enforce laws that stop serious crime. There is a ticket for not locking your car doors and speeding tickets.

I know I'd rather be giving a punter a speeding ticket then having to complete an entire charge of Negligent Driving Occasioning Death, saves me having to attach the body tag to the victim as well.
Think you missed the point,a ticket can be issued just as well from a marked police car from an officer in uniform,and that visible presence would stop quite a number of these types of driving offences just by being out there and visible,I would say quite a few more than an unmarked car or taxi,but that dosent get the same amount of $$$ for the coffers does it..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #56
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Sitting at the lights the other evening with a commo next to me. I had a look around and thought, I will give it a little bit here! Opposite side saw a set of lights behind a few cars which obviously the Commo next to me saw and we all took off at a very casual pace. Not saying I was going to break the law but the presence made damn sure we all behaved ourselves.

If it was an unmarked, or a Taxi, who knows what could off been. The thing is someone might have got a ticket AFTER the 'crime' had taken place. The presence ensured all was safe! No one needed a ticket to do the right thing. Thats crime prevention. Not sitting and waiting for it to take place.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #57
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i can top that.

They also have one in Engadine/Heathcote area.

I remember driving past it (it was doing 60 in 70 zone) and seeing the police decal on the side... i thought "hang on", braked to the same speed as they were doing, looked inside there were 2 officers all tight and snug in there, I put on a retarded WTF face and accellerated back to 70.
Old 18-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #58
Ozfords

Quote:
Think you missed the point,a ticket can be issued just as well from a marked police car from an officer in uniform,and that visible presence would stop quite a number of these types of driving offences just by being out there and visible,I would say quite a few more than an unmarked car or taxi,but that dosent get the same amount of $$$ for the coffers does it..
Well thats just logical. A hidden security camera will pick up more people doing bad then a camera with flashing lights and massive signs proclaiming what is doing.

Sure it will stop the bad, but you'll just go somewhere else do to bad. A better deterrent is the cop knocking on your door putting forward the allegation that you've broken the law with the camera footage to back it up.

Say for example your driving along and there is a tool overtaking people on the hard shoulder, crossing double lines, racing you at traffic lights, revving their engine behind you, honking their horns, tail gating and so on. A marked car will stop them for short while.

An unmarked car following them for a short while then pulling them over and giving them a fistful of tickets should be a very stern warning.

They might treat over road users much better knowing that an unmarked car maybe lurking around the corner.

- XH Snorkel
Old 18-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #59
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
on either side of the TAXI sign on the roof and 2 uniformed policemen inside, I saw the blue shirts with badges.?
Similar things have been going on for years .
In the mid 70's there was a pretty tacky looking green EH Panelvan around Parramatta/Granville area , when P/vans were all the rage . it had chrome wides , lowered front , surfboards on the roof-racks (if you took a close look they were bolted on :hihi: ) & Mural on the back barn doors.
It was running 3300 XU1 motor with triples , 4sp , bucket seats , tramp rods & big exhaust . ( a mate worked in a servo near there , they were regular customers Fri/Sat nights)

Was always 2 blue shirted guys in it & was often parked near Parramatta Police Station. ? ? ?

Bottom line is = "Don't do anything wrong & you got nothing to worry about"

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #60
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I guess they really need to raise more money. They can now book up, handcuff you then charge you a fare back to the Police stn. :
Nah, You'd just do a runner wouldn't you?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote