Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #31
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Not a car i would drive but thats just IMHO.... At least the middle east will be excited about their new drift machines :
Old 17-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #32
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody looks nice.. I hope the Falcons not too far away!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good from the front, rear looks OK, side is typicals slab sided Toyota boring with little wheels.

If I was buying I would look at it, but seriosuly 200kw through the front wheels is about 50kw too many. It is not a "bogan" attitude as Toyota claims but rather an engineering one.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #34
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
This toyota turkey sounds just a bit arrogant for my liking......

But Toyota’s Buttner said the Falcon/Commodore diehards are a dying breed.

“The tribalists love tradition and grunt. They’ve bought the same car for generations, largely determined by what their father bought – or which car won at Bathurst,” said Buttner. “They are a diminishing sub-segment, accounting for about 20 per cent of the market.
I would have thought 20% of the market was pretty significant - maybe if Toyota released something with real performance in Australia they could build real passion in a range other than Land Cruisers!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #35
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I would have thought 20% of the market was pretty significant - maybe if Toyota released something with real performance in Australia they could build real passion in a range other than Land Cruisers!
I think their quite satisfied with the whopping market share the non-"tribal minded" provides them with. After all, their number one again, they must be doing something right.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #36
feebs
BrwnBstd

Lots of cars look OK in photos..

Seen the new tojo's in the flesh , OK from front, crap from the back.

At least they fixed up half the ugliness from the last sportivo.

I don't even like typing sportivo, much less looking at one.

There are many poeple that don't care what there car looks like, and Toyota and Mitsi have sold cars to most of them..
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #37
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks ok, but front wheel drive?
no thanx

No way it looks better than the VE
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Seen em in the states; but not that many of them. Over there, they're still called Avalon.
Lots of quality problems in the US with the avalon too if any are bothered to google.

Maybe they should export some to india, as well as china - why? Save time.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #39
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

The rear 3/4 angle gives it away for the tarted Camry that it is. I dont know where people are getting excited about the Sportivo either.

That said, ditch the Camry and just use this, the V6 will be less stressed than the underpowered V4 in the Camry.

'Meh'
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #40
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Seems to me that there are plenty of these cars out and about. The newish hyundai, the mitsubishi 380, this, the ugly new camry.

I think the public, generally, don't really car too much. They are just claims and more unimaginative cars being rolled out from factories... Holden and Ford will still sell to fleets, destroying resale and the public, in general, will still by mainly small cars.

Wake me up when they bring out nuclear powered cars...
Old 17-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #41
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Always hard to judge a car from press shots intended to make it look good. I dont recall being overly impressed seeing the sucker in the flesh, but I'll still be interested to see it on the road in 'Sportivo' form (if I ever bought one I'd rip that badge off and burn it, how corny can you get?)

Anyway...one issue they'll face is the leasers used to getting decent discounts on their Ford/Holden product. Toyota dont get into that game in quite the same way, so I'd question whether that proportion of new buyers will rush to the car in quite the same way RRP seems to indicate it MIGHT, even though those numbers dont seem terribly competitive really for what is, sorry Mr Conomos, I really HATE marketing BS and having the wool pulled over my eyes, a CAMRY VARIANT in proportion.

Thank you :0
Old 17-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #42
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Looks good

"Class Leading 200Kw" Just a shame about the Class bottom out Torque

If everyone really thrashes their engines as much as they say they do then torque is irrelevant, at high revs you are producing max power not torque. Have a look at a power/torque graph, the power maxs at higher revs than torque. (admitedly the Aurion's torque curve will not be as flat so engine tractibilty will prob be worse than the Falcon, but the 6 speed should take care of that)

The FWD issue is only in the mind of few - the average Joe would never extend a car this far. For average even super brisk motoring the FWD problem is a myth - indeed the FWD is inherently more secure for most drivers -particularly in the wet and on unsealed roads.

By the way, I quite like this one, hmm, might be an option when the lease ends

05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #43
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This will be the real test for the FWD vs RWD BS; what do normla aussies want?
Actually that is a very good idea you raise, what would all the aussie blokes say when one of these beats an XR6 when a car mag does a track day??
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #44
turboute
turboute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
If everyone really thrashes their engines as much as they say they do then torque is irrelevant, at high revs you are producing max power not torque. Have a look at a power/torque graph, the power maxs at higher revs than torque. (admitedly the Aurion's torque curve will not be as flat so engine tractibilty will prob be worse than the Falcon, but the 6 speed should take care of that)

The FWD issue is only in the mind of few - the average Joe would never extend a car this far. For average even super brisk motoring the FWD problem is a myth - indeed the FWD is inherently more secure for most drivers -particularly in the wet and on unsealed roads.

By the way, I quite like this one, hmm, might be an option when the lease ends
The torque will make a difference in Quarter times etc, and wining the traffic light grand prix, Also FWD will spin quicker if booted at the lights (assuming traction control isn't on - it it is that means you wont get away quickly thanks to the application of the brakes anyway). Also more torque lower down means the car has more power down low, which means rolling accelleration is better. The Aurion in effect will take more time to get moving, the BA's engine has been decribed as effortless(compared to the VE V6 anyway), the Aurion engine has a similar amount of torque to the VE.

Quote:
Actually that is a very good idea you raise, what would all the aussie blokes say when one of these beats an XR6 when a car mag does a track day??
I will be suprised... (I doubt it could beat an XR6), The article mentions nothing about weight though, but with size /spec levels being similar you guess for it to be 100ish kg lighter at most, although the traction levels around a track will not be favouring the FWD and the traction control will probably give it a decent heap of brake fade.

Also as I have said in previous threads resale will suck - who would by a camry(Aurion) when you can get a car that can do real skids?LOL
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #45
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The front and rear look good but are the doors carry overs from the previous camry?

doesnt look to bad though but would like to see one in real life before further comment.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #46
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1st impressions - impressive.

2nd thoughts - wondering what you could tow with a low Torque fwd.

Many use their Falcons and Commodores to tow. The 4wd market has taken from them a bit but to ignore that market is to lose out.

I'm thinking they might release an all-wheel-drive version.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #47
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wonderign wha the power to weight ratio is with this car? I might have missed it in the specs. IIRC the stnd Mazda 323 has a lower power/weight ratio than the Falcon. I'd expect many Toyotas to be similar.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #48
prydey
Rob

the tv ads have been running for a while and make a big deal out of it being 'inspired by formula 1'. this would hold some weight if toyota were actually doing something in formula 1 other than just making up the numbers and occasionally cracking the top 8. if ferrari or renault claimed 'f1 inspired engineering' you would be impressed as they are leaders in that area, but toyota.... they wish!

seems strange that they are making two cars for the one segment. camry and aurion. maybe camry will be phased out. lets see some real world economy figures too. 9.9l/100km. whatever.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #49
Dilan

Hate to say it but that looks f'ing awsome. Wouldn't mind one in 4WD.
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #50
Maxim

Toyota WILL be the benchmark for ALL other car companies in the near future.

Aurion will not apeal to the Younger rev head nor the die hard rwd fan.

I own a 68 mustang and I am a rwd person , but my suggestion is to have a drive of one.

Simply awsome.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #51
Falcon Freak
Banned

Issue 358 of GoAuto eNews has just been released with comprehensive coverage of the new Aurion model.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #52
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Is that a pig I see flying past? I think it is...

or something along those lines.
Old 17-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #53
Cam
Stroking it...

Impressive car, as a 'car' nut and not so much a ford nut i can say i like it, the front end looks very tough, but the *** end still seems all too familar...

it Will sell, and very well as a "class leading" 200kw, and good fuel consumption what "run of the mil" family wouldn't buy one? Hell if i was after a "A to B" car that went "well", ipd buy one.. in a heartbeat

But for me, i'll deal with my 19L/100k 347ci Fuel consumption and blow the doors off the bas7ards

Cam
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #54
Cam
Stroking it...

p.s. Someone photo shop this, slam it with decent wheels.....
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...e=2&ImageID=13
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #55
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the listed performance, 0-100 in 9.3 :
Fuel consumption is based on running premium too....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You only need to look at where the power and torque peaks are to know it will need to be revved pretty hard to get moving. Don't see the typical grandpa Toyota owners doing much of that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #57
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
You'd be surprised just because someone doesn't know why a driver can still tell something drives poorly.

The first time my mum drove a FWD she could tell it was different by the feeling of being pulled, the lack of traction, steering feel & massive turning circle was apparent to her at not much more then parking speeds even tho she didn't know why & she is a 60 year old lady & the least enthusiastic driver you'd ever come across.

Saying that many people these days would have never driven a RWD car & wouldn't even know what they're missing out on & I do think this thing will sell better then the Avalon but I think the sales will come from people who would have previously bought a V6 Camry rather then a rival manufacturer.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #58
RATT

I think it's too stylish for the average cartigan wearing buyer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #59
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

The sportivo looks good from the front i will admit as much, but its hard to say if it will compete with the commodore and falcon, it will be the final nail in the 380's coffin however.
Old 18-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #60
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim
Toyota WILL be the benchmark for ALL other car companies in the near future.

Aurion will not apeal to the Younger rev head nor the die hard rwd fan.

I own a 68 mustang and I am a rwd person , but my suggestion is to have a drive of one.

Simply awsome.
Don't bet on Toyota benchmarking anything. They'll probably outsell GM, but it'll just be cheap, average to poor build, whitegoods on wheels. They'll never match up to the Germans for feel, refinement, sophistication, true quality or performance.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post