Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #31
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

U turns on unbroken lines and even at traffic lights (NSW) are common place now.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #32
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Sydney drivers certainly aren't the most considerate, infact it's getting pretty bad....

Try merging on M2 from Lano cove road in peak..... They just don't think......
Hee hee ... I must see you on the roads sometimes and not know it.
I know what it is like on the M2 in the afternoon heading out .... I leave work later so I am in less traffic though.

I get used to it ... and I try not let it get to me though ... as I drive in it all the time. I'd go insane if i let it get to me.

Sometimes you have to drive to the "conditions" ... and sometimes the idiots that push in the last second and swap lanes all of the time need to learn that "it's not going to happen in peak times". (I usually make it harder for them just for fun).

Took me a while to get used to using the vehicle in an "assertive" fashion ... no eye contact works a charm.

In Sydney ... it's a case of survival of the fittest. I am happy at the end of the day when I am heading away from it all.

People need to chill out in traffic ... if it's heavy traffic ... you just have to sit in it and be calm ... the more you get worked up ... the worse it is .... and then road rage can occur.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
U turns on unbroken lines and even at traffic lights (NSW) are common place now.
My wife did it the other day (at traffic lights) ... and got caught.
I laughed at her ... she thought it was legal.
A lot of people think it's fine to do it.

Go figure .. her brother is a cop at Blacktown ... and she didn't believe him that it was illegal (till she got caught).

Now she has learnt her lesson.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #34
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
My wife did it the other day (at traffic lights) ... and got caught.
I laughed at her ... she thought it was legal.
A lot of people think it's fine to do it.

Go figure .. her brother is a cop at Blacktown ... and she didn't believe him that it was illegal (till she got caught).

Now she has learnt her lesson.
LOL, My wife asks really dumb questions about the road rules. She got her license in 1983 and hasn't driven since. I am worried about her getting back into the car. I don't want to teach her without an L plate (she has a gold license) because I figure I will cop abuse and end up in punch up with someone. I am worried she is going to get heaps of fines or worse, crash with our baby on board. Do you reckon some peole are just not cut out to be drivers? She doesn't like it when I suggest that. Traffic in Sydney has changed heaps since 1983. Too many dangerous imports on the road now and I don't mean the cars!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #35
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Some people just aren't cut out for Sydney driving .... Bec can handle anything from Parramatta and west .... and east of Parramatta and she hates it.

I haven't had my licence that long (got my Ls in 94) ... and traffic is increased so much since I got my licence. I thought it was busy back in the mid-90s .... but not like it is now in Sydney.

You need to drive in it every day of the week to keep up with it ... if you haven't driven in Sydney traffic for a while ... you'll be in for a rude shock.

A suggestion for teaching her to "get back into it" ... start further out west where it is quieter and in off-peak times ... and then gradually get her back into it.

At least my wife drives to and from work and to the main shopping centres that she wants to get to ... and can get around to places she knows ... other than that ... she gets me to drive. I thought she didn't mind driving ... but thinking about it now ... if she doesn't have to drive ... she doesn't really want to and leaves it to me.

She avoids the city like it's the plague and if we have to drive in ... I do it. Mind you ... when i do drive her through the city she can't handle my driving in the traffic ... I think it's because I go into "courier driver" mode and drive "assertively" ... hee hee
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #36
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Its a "I pay my taxes, I own the WHOLE Road" mentality. Unfortunately it is only going to get worse.
Thats only a small part of the behavioural problem, it really goes beyond 'driving' too.

Only an increase in the numbers of operational highway patrol police and an increase in the monetary levels of general driver behaviouoral fine levels will help stem the bad discipline and behaviour.

Problem is, some police are not much better, but they are a minority.

Here in NSW we must remove serving HWP from general duties policing back to fulltime HWP duty. We need to increase the numbers of unmarked HWP vehicles.

The reality is that bad driving, for example 'not indicating' is done deliberately, sometimes as a way of showing their displeasure at the world arounf them, be that government created in their minds, or by other road users.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #37
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Hee hee ... I must see you on the roads sometimes and not know it.
I know what it is like on the M2 in the afternoon heading out .... I leave work later so I am in less traffic though.

I get used to it ... and I try not let it get to me though ... as I drive in it all the time. I'd go insane if i let it get to me.

Sometimes you have to drive to the "conditions" ... and sometimes the idiots that push in the last second and swap lanes all of the time need to learn that "it's not going to happen in peak times". (I usually make it harder for them just for fun).

Took me a while to get used to using the vehicle in an "assertive" fashion ... no eye contact works a charm.

In Sydney ... it's a case of survival of the fittest. I am happy at the end of the day when I am heading away from it all.

People need to chill out in traffic ... if it's heavy traffic ... you just have to sit in it and be calm ... the more you get worked up ... the worse it is .... and then road rage can occur.

Couldn't agree more... When you see me, you'll know it.... Can't miss the ute...

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #38
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some people just aren't cut out for Sydney driving .... Bec can handle anything from Parramatta and west .... and east of Parramatta and she hates it.

I haven't had my licence that long (got my Ls in 94) ... and traffic is increased so much since I got my licence. I thought it was busy back in the mid-90s .... but not like it is now in Sydney.

You need to drive in it every day of the week to keep up with it ... if you haven't driven in Sydney traffic for a while ... you'll be in for a rude shock.

A suggestion for teaching her to "get back into it" ... start further out west where it is quieter and in off-peak times ... and then gradually get her back into it.

At least my wife drives to and from work and to the main shopping centres that she wants to get to ... and can get around to places she knows ... other than that ... she gets me to drive. I thought she didn't mind driving ... but thinking about it now ... if she doesn't have to drive ... she doesn't really want to and leaves it to me.

She avoids the city like it's the plague and if we have to drive in ... I do it. Mind you ... when i do drive her through the city she can't handle my driving in the traffic ... I think it's because I go into "courier driver" mode and drive "assertively" ... hee hee
Thanks for that. I bought her an auto and now I drive it to work! (I am trying to sell my manual). I have taken her to the quiet industrial areas near our home on weekends. There is no-one there, she has had 4 paid lessons and had to cancel a couple due to morning sickness. I dont want to stress her either as she is 20 weeks pregnant now. My dad offered to take her but she doenst want to. She only wants to be able to drive to the shops when Im not around. We try to avoid the city also. The only non-asians there now are the beggars.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take Bec on a nice holiday to Europe with a hire car. Get her to drive round London, Paris, some Italian cities and motorways. When she gets back to Sydney it'll seem like Wilcannia! I know when I got back after a couple of years there I thought it was a public holiday in Sydney there was so little traffic but it was a normal weekday!

Funny thing is though in spite of the traffic volumes over there, things move along better because everybody is tuned and alert to driving. None of the vague stupid and agressive stuff you get here. Also traffic planning is better. You can move across London better on coordinated traffic lights, none of the constant starting grid stuff you get here, followed by empty road, then full stop, then start again. Traffic moves more evenly. And everybody THINKS ahead, thinks around them and so on. Some of the idiots here would be blasted off the road there.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #40
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan b
just had a bit of fun at president avenue in kogarah, barbie doll driving in front of me in peak hr on the phone and smoking decides to cut the person beside her off to get into that lane nearly causing a 4 car pile up (her,me, the guy behind me and the driver she cut off). i give her a serving as i got past. at the next set of lights she decides to return serve by asking whats my problem? my problem? "you're driving whilst on the phone, you flick your cig butt out the window and landed on my bonnet and you nearly cause a 4 car pile up i don't have a problem barbie". then she replies by saying "you're only jealous because you can't get a root", my fiancee was sitting in the car with me : whats that got to do with what she just did??????
has anyone else had the same problem here?
i don't know, some women (not all present company excluded of course) are really getting worse than us males on the road
frustrating :

Down here in the gong Girl in a corolla on phone, turn car with knees, while doing her nails WTF.
some girls not all should never have there licenses

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #41
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Some thing wrong if some one has neally to hit you or run you off the road in Sydney. Thats why i now drive a 89 Lazer to from work. What a few more dents.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #42
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
Down here in the gong Girl in a corolla on phone, turn car with knees, while doing her nails WTF.
some girls not all should never have there licenses

cheers
My wifes old car (323 mazda) was written off on a freeway by a brainless 18 year girl doing her nails while driving. My wife stopped quickly for slowing traffic and the brainless one didnt see in time. My wife had just dropped of our 2 kids, one 4 one 3 at grandma's. The car seats that they were in were crushed against the back of the front seats. They were quality evenflo seats and they were demolished. I have had more than one night mare about what could have been if my two little tackers were in that car at the time. Cupic is rite. These dumb girl dogs should not be allowed to drive.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Take Bec on a nice holiday to Europe with a hire car. Get her to drive round London, Paris, some Italian cities and motorways. When she gets back to Sydney it'll seem like Wilcannia! I know when I got back after a couple of years there I thought it was a public holiday in Sydney there was so little traffic but it was a normal weekday!

Funny thing is though in spite of the traffic volumes over there, things move along better because everybody is tuned and alert to driving. None of the vague stupid and agressive stuff you get here. Also traffic planning is better. You can move across London better on coordinated traffic lights, none of the constant starting grid stuff you get here, followed by empty road, then full stop, then start again. Traffic moves more evenly. And everybody THINKS ahead, thinks around them and so on. Some of the idiots here would be blasted off the road there.

Have been to London when i was younger ... and bloody hell ... the traffic was mental ... a mate of mine moved out here from London and he says Sydney traffic is leisurely. And he also mentioned that there's more accidents over here than there are in England (I'd believe that too ... I'd say their drivers are better than ours).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #44
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford

I wouldn't touch a hire car in Europe. I get confused enough crossing the road with LHD. Not to mention the liability is anything happens to it. And when you get to your destination you have to park it somewhere. I find it so much easier to train it from city centre to city centre and then its just a short walk to a cheap hotel. If you want a real thrill though, rent a Vespa in ROME, total madness. Italy is crazy they pull up at the lights and make an extra lane for themselves (in cars) and drag five across on scooters, even women in business suits racing around on them. But the best thing of all are the hotted up quad bikes racing each other, wheel standing away from the lights!! The only place they are not silly enough to double park is on the tramlines. They park nose to nose right on the street corner. There are heaps of disabled people and you hear ambulances all the time, there must be a lot of scooter accidents.
In London you can travel all day in zone 1-4 for about 5 pounds off peak, busses, light rail, tube and mainland trains. You get charged that just for driving into the city (congestion tax). Cars are better suited to travel in Australia where there are longer distances and minimal train services.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #45
snortycorty

My OH's sister is a shocker. Went in the car with her once. She did not stop at any stop signs (too busy choosing which perfume to wear from the glove box) Then whilst speeding along she couldnt decide which pair of sunnies suited her outfit best that day (she's looking in the mirror and not watching the winding road ahead doing about 80km) and then decides to rummage around the floor in the back of the car to find a cd to play.
Her husband is a copper though so that kind of explains why she musnt give a crap, probably gets away with heaps of stuff where she lives cos of his position!

I feel like such a hillbilly though, i thought traffic here was getting bad, but its nothing compared to the stories from up there! We went to Geelong on the weekend and I drove in the "city". LOL That was hectic enough for me!
I would never drive in sydney, i remember going there about 8 years ago and i reckon if i had of stuck my head out the window i could almost rub noses with the person in the car next to me lol. And the cars were like bumper to bumper and horns going off everywhere!
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #46
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i over took a taxi on a dual carriage way, he was doing 50 in a 70 zone. then pulled up at the set of lights. he was behind me and i was in poll. he came up and Flashed me with his lights a couple of times. im wtf.......luckily there was a truck next to me with a full load and we wehre going up a hill. ( the taxi was the only other person on the road with me) so i decided to take it easy lol.....all i can say is i recieved multiple light signals and sounds. but seriusly all because i overtook him on a dual carriage way , no one else on the road and he was doing 50 in a 70 zone. like WTF.........

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I had guy in a VY 1-tonner this morning in a hurry ... he decided he wanted to sit 1 inch off my rear bumper out near Wilberforce ... he got bored of that and overtook me over double white lines ... I was doing 100 in the 90 zone as it was.

I let him go .. he caught slower cars and I caught him ... so I sat back as I didn't want anything to do with the crazy driver ... further along Windosr Rd ... he does the same thing to someone else ... although both in the right lane ... I took the left and passed them (I was like WTF ... I was expecting him to go around the left anyway) ... he cracked it and swerved around the left to pass .... although i had strategically placed myself in the left with no room to go around ..... so he tailgated me again for a while.

I got bored of it ...moved forward more and left him swerve around and pass ... I was already doing 90 in the 80 zone there too ... he swerved across and cut me off ... I just let it slide and gave him a "clap clap the handicap" gesture.

He tore off ... and comeing up to a new set of traffic lights .... which were red and there was a van already stopped ... he swerved around the van and flew through the red light.

Ummmm ... it wasn't a mistake as he was braking and slowing for it ... then floored his way across it ... what he didn't realise there was a silver marked Commodore sitting over the otherside of the intersection behind another car.

Thank goodness there was a police officer there at the right time to see the dangerous antics of this driver ... Copper didn't have to look twice to turn around and go after him.

Was sweet justice seeing him being pulled over ... if only the cop had known what he was doing earlier in traffic though.

Some people just shouldn't be let out on the road.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #48
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i over took a taxi on a dual carriage way, he was doing 50 in a 70 zone. then pulled up at the set of lights. he was behind me and i was in poll. he came up and Flashed me with his lights a couple of times. im wtf.......luckily there was a truck next to me with a full load and we wehre going up a hill. ( the taxi was the only other person on the road with me) so i decided to take it easy lol.....all i can say is i recieved multiple light signals and sounds. but seriusly all because i overtook him on a dual carriage way , no one else on the road and he was doing 50 in a 70 zone. like WTF.........
The allsorts driving cabs need to be informed of their responsibilities as a public passenger vehicle driver and should lose their licences if they partipate in road rage. Also remember that every taxi driver will be carrying a weapon of some description, or will just headbut you with their turban,
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #49
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
The allsorts driving cabs need to be informed of their responsibilities as a public passenger vehicle driver and should lose their licences if they partipate in road rage. Also remember that every taxi driver will be carrying a weapon of some description, or will just headbut you with their turban,
its damn annoying, cause its not the first time i have had an encounter with a taxi being ans *******. not to mention, the taxi that flashed its lights was a god dam silver service..........

When driving into the city and taking parra road, watch out for taxi drivers who get into the left turn only lane in peak hour traffic and then go straight and assume that they have right of way when there is no ware to go, cause god damn the last time one did that to me........he was there for 5 minutes.......if you dont obey the road rules then your gonna pay.......

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #50
BlackLS

My boss travels around the world as CEO of a global operation, and states Sydney traffic is the worst of them all. The main problem in Sydney is that we have no ringroad system with freeways to suburbia feeding into it at intervals. What we have is 3 lane arterials that are meant to cater for traffic from 4 or 5 Sydney regions. General Homes Drive feeding Airport, Hurstville area, South Sydney, South West, Campbelltown etc. Parramatta Road feeding Inner West, Parramatta region, M4/Penrith, etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I deal with them everyday in the city ... they think they have the same rights as buses when it coems to lane changing. I don't give them the satisfaction of that.

You do need to be wary on Parra rd though as they like to use 2 lanes at the same time as they have no idea how to drive ... if i am next to them though ... I make sure they "stay" in their own lane.

They think lane changing is the same a merging and you have to let them in .... not the case ... I don't let them either.

I treat taxi drivers with the contempt thery deserve .... but it really goes on how I see them drive in the first place ... if they drive well in traffic ... I leave them alone. (it's rare to see a good cabbie out there though).

I keep them in line and keep em worried.
I have a louder horn and bigger lights as well ... and good brakes.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #52
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

I have driven in a number of countries overseas, LHD and RHD and to me Sydney is getting worse.
The younger generation (no offense to those on this forum as it is not all of them) seem to be driving like lunatics, especially young red p plate girls in hyundai excels or mitsubishi lancers with fake evo kits!
However that said I did fear for my life in Thailand (I worked for a global automotive company and visted our plants there regularly). When the driver appointed to me would overtake traffic at 120 kph in a 80 kph zone (Thais don't obey many traffic laws, and the cops don't have radar for speeders) uphill on a blind crest every day!
My collegue who I took over there, on his 1st trip gave up looking out the window as he was so scared.
And then there's Shanghai......but thats another story.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #53
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was a passenger in one of a line of 3 busses on Richmond rd. on the way out to Yarramundi. This feral in a VL Commodore (who must have been unemployed as it was the middle of a weekday) overtakes the first bus ON THE LEFT ON THE GRAVEL SHOULDER!! Then he overtakes the next bus over the double UNBROKEN lines just as a Falcon wagon pulls out from a side street on the left in front of all three busses. The Falcon had to moove left onto the opposite shoulder in order to miss the Commodore. The busses, of course were all travelling at the speed limit.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #54
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
On another point, has anyone else noticed the increasing amount of drivers who don't indicate when turning or changing lanes anymore?
Almost ALL Canadians!!!! :
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #55
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Yeah, I've travelled extensively throughout the world, driven through New York City in peak hour, LA in peak hour, London, Munich etc.
Sydney is the worst. People have one hell of an attitude when it comes to traffic especially merging traffic, they speed up to cut you off.
Taxis are one of the worst offenders, I hate the bastards. They will cut you off, slam on the brakes, pick up a customer and then wonder why you are mad.
Actually I saw a taxi driver being beaten on Liverpool Road the other day. Guy pulls in front of a B double full of blue metal, slams on his brakes to pick up a passenger and then gets collected. He was OK but didn't quite take too well to people telling him it wasn't the truck drivers fault. Arguementative little camel riding turban wearing pr1ck if I ever did see one. Anyway, he eventually provoked the truck driver enough by pushing him (in some stupid attempt to get the truck driver to admit liability I guess), and the truck driver literally smacked him down. Cops turned up, a few of us gave statements, taxi got towed, truck drove off.
Some days, it is good to get out of bed when you get to see things like this.

Quote: