Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #31
Jayden
Graphic Artist

judging by how many people they catch creeping over the limit, every Australian must be a felon by now.

"you have just passed a government issue automated thievery device. Thanks for the in-house donut machine. Its really great"

that should be placed after a speed camera.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #32
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Bah humbug....

Borderline Speeding is not a crime - and it shouldn't be treated that way...
Agree with your comments.

To those who comment about our "taxes at work", the costs are minimal (compared with, say, the Christmas bashes that will be forked out for over the next month - and that is not a complaint).

We can either all sit back and let the government keep rolling over us introducing more draconian laws to raise revenue, or people can let them know they are not happy.

Other info...
http://www.ceos.com.au/products/tirtl-content.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c1s.JPG (82.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by desGT; 31-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #33
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
but I think a National Standard is warranted & needed!!!
already is.
AS2898 for Radar and AS4691 for LIDAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tank
Hand helds are still used in NSW. However in NSW all fixed speed cameras are signposted. Some 2-3 times.
Only handhelds in NSW are LIDAR, not radar.

All Fixed cameras are signposted 3 times.
Old 26-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sorry, but speed cameras are just another form of taxation brought about by cash strapped state governments. Yes, the same idiots who brought in the vendor tax which killed the investment market and caused higher rents for commonfolk through a lack of property, are now the same who want more money of you to fund their junkets, largesse and beuraucracy. I would not object to speed cameras if they actually put any of the money raised into repairing roads etc, but all the money goes back to consolidated revenue for use by the government. I have lost count of the amount of nose to tail arguments caused by the litany of speed cameras on approach to the spit bridge (the down hill section); the accident rate has quadrupled since they were introduced and everyone focuses on their speedometers for fear of going 5kmh over instead of the road. Look up from your speedo and "BANG". Every K over is a killer is the biggest ****fest and mistruth ever perpetrated on a gullible public too. With the populace scared to death of speeding how many cars drive well under the speed limit as a result (40 in a 70 zone) necessitating sometimes risky actions such as overtaking or even undertaking? What about the fact that the hoons which people complain about often know where the speed cameras are and simply slow down around them, yet speed everywhere else? Here in NSW (State of disrepair - its now on our number plates) policing has been replaced by proxy with speed cameras doing the job of policemen (petrol costs money) and as a result, bad behaviour on our roads has flourished but don't worry, the maniacs and mass murderers who may inadvertently go 5 kmh over are being apprehended. One of the fatal flaws can be seen here, as illustrated by Jeremy Clarkson. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gba8I5h4wU

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 26-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #35
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The only way to beat speed cameras is not to speed.

Simple solution. Place responsibility on your own shoulders.
The only way to beat STD's is by not having sex.
Simple solution. Place responsibility on your own shoulders and stop having sex.

The only wat to beat being killed in an airplane crash is not to travel in a plane.
Simple solution. Place responsibility on your own shoulders and stop flying.

The only way to beat being killed on the roads is to stay away from the roads.
Simple solution. Place responsibility on your own shoulders and stay off the road.

As you can see, by following "uranium_death" simple rule, you can "place responsibility on your own shoulders" and avoid all the terrible things in life...

Isn't his suggestion a clever solution?
Old 26-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
All Fixed cameras are signposted 3 times.
Where is this wonderful mystical land you speak off?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #37
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
NSW has had this for ages

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 26-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #38
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
It definitely ain't Victoria Dave... That's for sure!
Old 26-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #39
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speed cameras aren't that popular on the Gold Coast, last time i saw a camera van was almost a year ago, theres pretty much zero fixed cameras and not that many hand helds going around either!

its heaven!
Old 26-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #40
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why doesn't the government put money toward catching the real criminals? Oh wait, spending money on speed cameras and giving out fines to motorists 3km/h over the limit takes less effort...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 26-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Sorry, but speed cameras are just another form of taxation brought about by cash strapped state governments. Yes, the same idiots who brought in the vendor tax which killed the investment market and caused higher rents for commonfolk through a lack of property, are now the same who want more money of you to fund their junkets, largesse and beuraucracy. I would not object to speed cameras if they actually put any of the money raised into repairing roads etc, but all the money goes back to consolidated revenue for use by the government. I have lost count of the amount of nose to tail arguments caused by the litany of speed cameras on approach to the spit bridge (the down hill section); the accident rate has quadrupled since they were introduced and everyone focuses on their speedometers for fear of going 5kmh over instead of the road. Look up from your speedo and "BANG". Every K over is a killer is the biggest ****fest and mistruth ever perpetrated on a gullible public too. With the populace scared to death of speeding how many cars drive well under the speed limit as a result (40 in a 70 zone) necessitating sometimes risky actions such as overtaking or even undertaking? What about the fact that the hoons which people complain about often know where the speed cameras are and simply slow down around them, yet speed everywhere else? Here in NSW (State of disrepair - its now on our number plates) policing has been replaced by proxy with speed cameras doing the job of policemen (petrol costs money) and as a result, bad behaviour on our roads has flourished but don't worry, the maniacs and mass murderers who may inadvertently go 5 kmh over are being apprehended. One of the fatal flaws can be seen here, as illustrated by Jeremy Clarkson. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gba8I5h4wU
I agree with you mate. I would be all for the revenue raised to be put back into driver training etc. Having a commercial 'Are you a creeper?' on our tv's isnt doing alot here in SA. Something else needs to be done to show the communities their cash is going to a good cause.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #42
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is really only one way to get the govt to sit up and take notice of any drivers on the road. and it costs money, and its a pain in the a**

1. get all the info you can on on the revenue of every camera/ fixed radar ect
2.get the dollar amount income from these cameras and the dollar amount spent by the govt back into roads/safty campaigns
3. get the % of fatal crashes that occur in radar areas and the % that do not
4. get the % of accidents that are known to have been caused by speed

all this info is available thru FOI requests

cross reference all the data and find a solicitor willing to sue the govt for
1. lying
2. misrespresntation of road stats and deaths
3. failing to provide adequte saftey measures on known blackspots
4. failing to administer new and better driving techniques with new leaner drivers/ contributing to a higher % of youth deaths

thats just a few things i can think of off the top of my head

by the way.....not being a b*stard here but youth suicide is a bigger killer of kids then road accidents

...but theres no money in that.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #43
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even though it has already been answered, I'll answer again. NSW.

Even ACT has "most" speed cameras signposted 3 times with NSW spec signs. I believe only the red light/speed cameras are still using ACT spec signs.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #44
XW_GS
Paulie

just get more police on the road.. it worked in the old days

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
Old 26-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #45
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure doing 3 kp/h over on a 3 lane straight piece of road is far from dangerous. However many people can easily roll over the limit by a couple on this style of road = more $$ for the government. I can understand people ripping the things out, the garbage bag idea is good though.
Old 26-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So how long till we go from this to the next "safety device", and then the next one. This is starting to get ridiculous.
Old 26-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #47
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it wasnt a revenue raising tactic, why dont they drop the fine and just hit you up for demerit points ?

Mind you I have never been done by a speed camera, manned radar yes..

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
Old 26-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #48
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

They must be pretty hard up knocking off someone for doing 3k's over the limit, thought there was a 10% leeway, i know years ago i got pinged doing 111k's in a 100 zone, the coper that pulled me over said i was just unlucky, they gave the 10% and had the radar set at 111kph, i was on a retricted licence (1 month to go) at the time and this fine would of had it cancelled, but he stunned me by saying don't pay the fine wait till they send me a reminder, that way i had my full licence back and only lost a few points
Check this out, makes these guy's pretty tame LOL
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FSguQg_bK38
Old 26-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #49
73XBGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
"Speed Cameras" are revenue raisers pure and simple.
Here's what they do to them in England ... http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso.htm
I Like the way those brits take action!!! :hihi:

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
Old 26-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #50
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
"Speed Cameras" are revenue raisers pure and simple.
Here's what they do to them in England ... http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso.htm

hmm maybe somone got onto that site now that they have started here in australia..

good job i say.

probably only a matter of time before someone gets smart and gets a few mates together to organise weekly hits on cameras in known revenue raising postions
Old 26-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #51
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I know it is wrong (like slapping Rick Kelly in the back of the head and running away)

I know it is childish (like playing golf with cane toads)

Perhaps that is why I find it so funny, not inspite of it.
Old 26-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #52
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's high time that grafitti "artists" gave something back to the community.

A can of matt black would be a good start.
Old 27-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #53
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannem
Does anyone remember the speed camera that got shot?? It was down my way in Werribee (Melbourne suburb)

It was located on a bridge overpass on the main freeway, if I remember correct it was either about to get turned on or had been just turned on.

Cheers M
Happened at the Altona (Grieve Parade overpass) camera site, heading westbound.

The camera in Box Hill North at Eastern Freeway was also shot at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
To the people that did it. Complete idiots. And it just goes to show the utter disrespect that people have these days.

If you have that much of a problem with speed cameras, etc. Then don’t bloody speed. Simple as that. And if you are up in the air over revenue raising, once again, no speeding = no contributing to revenue raising.
Totally uncalled for going to those kind of extremes.
You don't understand that cameras are notoriously unreliable and cannot be trusted.

There's currently some noise about faulty cameras on the newly opened Eastlink Tollway.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 27-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #54
500SEC

Oh. My. God.
Old 27-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #55
500SEC

Since returning to Australia last year, I've noticed a major 'dumbing down' of the Australan motorist. Having spent the last ten years living in Europe and the UK, it's a great source of amusement to now listen to fellow Australian motorists applauding the existence of speed cameras, and the stupidity of speeding. Purlease, let's see a little more rebellion... travelling 10kmh over the limit or (shock horror) 50km/h is regarded in this nanny state as a crime greater than armed robbery. In the UK, most motorway users travel at around 130-140km/h depending on conditions, and loss of license happens at 160, a speed which most motorists don't exceed.

Hey, it even gives me a strange pleasure to see hoons doing their thing, especially in sterile Canberra where I'm now stationed during the working week. This society needs them. Long live the hoon.

I am dumbfounded at how our nation has become obsessed with 'speed' (or lack of it) all in the name of our personal safety. What have we become? A little more rebellion please.
Old 27-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #56
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

yer my brother inlaw struggles with that as he goes back and forth to europe so often ,our signs he does in miles and when he gets there he clicks why everyone is flashing and passing him .it should be reverse as our roads and weather are much more accepting of this way of driving.he laughs at it but is concerned for his licence ,as habit is a hard thing to change
Old 27-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #57
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i personally have never been fined by a speed camera for something i did not do. in fact a couple of times i have passed one when exceeding the limit and not got pinged

maybe we should all go out and destroy things we do not like. the holdens in my street, my bosses/workplace is a good place for me to start - my next door neighbour looked at me the other day, i might have to have him whacked
Old 28-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #58
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Take it on my speed camera's !! I'm sure I have paid for a few of them over the years !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 28-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Bah humbug....

Borderline Speeding is not a crime - and it shouldn't be treated that way...

True - Nobody would have an argument if we all didn't speed... But we do, so lets move on..
Here here
Old 28-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #60
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Why doesn't the government put money toward catching the real criminals? Oh wait, spending money on speed cameras and giving out fines to motorists 3km/h over the limit takes less effort...
Not only does it take more effort... catching criminals is a revenue sink hole.
Catching motorists doing 3km/h over the limit not only takes NO effort once the camera is installed, it is a revenue bonanza.... hmm.. I wonder why they keep putting in more cameras?

I think the real issue, as has already been picked up on earlier in the thread, this new camera design is more accurate... so they're acknowledging existing cameras may not be accurate - yet the government (in particular Vic, with their 3km/h "tolerance") is happy to collect hundreds of millions of dollars per annum.... there should be outrage.
Closed Thread