Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #31
andrewts
White Car Driver

Yes I noticed the quoted economy on the Focus was much less that the 3, not sure what to make of that, being almost identical.

I had also read about that loud clunk mentioned earlier, I'm sure it will present itself early in life with the state of our roads. :p

I'm pleased with all the feedback guys, I've pretty much made the same conclusion that they are a wonderful little box on wheels.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #32
SpooN XL

We owne a Mazda SP23, little thing goes very nicely indeed. As allready stated the cabin noise can get a bit loud, other then that the car has been great.
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #33
andrewts
White Car Driver

Lucky the radio has a volume knob aye, problem sovled ;)
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #34
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
How is the handling of the 3 - especially the SP23? Obviously if I was to switch to one from an EL pretty much means no more throttle induced rear wheel steering : , but for a front driver, how do they go? Not too much understeer?
Compared to an EL, the handling will be bloody amazing

Seriously, the C1 platform cars, especially the Focus have superb handling, class leading and thanks to their size and chassis sophistication, will show up a Falcon on a tight twisty road, even with a power deficit. The current batch of Falcons have really improved, but on a really twisty road, physics hands it to their smaller brother.

You can still throttle steer one of these cars, it's just the opposite technique. Enter a corner on part throttle, after you start turning, just lift off the throttle and watch the tail skate. Jump on the throttle once you want to stop the tail from sliding. Play with the brake or the steering wheel if you want 'adjust' the tail even more
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #35
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Compared to an EL, the handling will be bloody amazing

Seriously, the C1 platform cars, especially the Focus have superb handling, class leading and thanks to their size and chassis sophistication, will show up a Falcon on a tight twisty road, even with a power deficit. The current batch of Falcons have really improved, but on a really twisty road, physics hands it to their smaller brother.

You can still throttle steer one of these cars, it's just the opposite technique. Enter a corner on part throttle, after you start turning, just lift off the throttle and watch the tail skate. Jump on the throttle once you want to stop the tail from sliding. Play with the brake or the steering wheel if you want 'adjust' the tail even more
I've got an XR6 now, and with some half decent tyres does fairly well. I realise most front drivers will understeer a bit if you keep on the gas while cornering as it can't handle acceleration forces and cornering forces on the one end. Just as long as the nose doesn't push too easily I will handle the switch to my first non-Falcon car that I've bought myself. When I do look at getting one, it will have to be a 6 speed (current version)
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #36
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A manual SP23 definately has the looks and decent go to match.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #37
6t6m

Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but it just seemed like an appropriate place to be asking for advice on my current problem.

I'm in the process of helping a cousin of mine purchase a new car, she is looking at small/medium cars with a price of approx. 20000-25000 on road.

I've got prices on both Mazda 3 and Ford Focus and another family member has prices on Lancer, Astra and Corolla. My question is what would be a good no trade price for an auto Mazda 3 power pack or Focus CL auto smooth pack, on road registered in QLD.

Thanks in advance
6t6m
6t6m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #38
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
Well, my mum has moved on, trading her crappy EL GLi in for a Mazda 3. It's a Neo sedan manual in the Phantom Blue colour.

Does anybody know or know of any bad things about these cars? I read a little bit and found that it might get the standard occasional squeek and rattle, but are they ticking time bombs?

I personally think the car looks pretty kewel, and apparently the performance isn't too bad either.

Your opinion?
Its a jap car - they very rarely break. My mate had a manual Maxx-Sport that he recently traded for an MPS 3.. he was/is extremely happy with both of them. No problem with the cars, no problem with the dealer, no problem with servicing... just get in and drive.

Unfortunately looks are a subjective thing. Personally i've never really liked the look of it... the front looks like a fat overgrown beak and the rear looks like someone's given it a boot up the ar*e. Performance is what you'd expect from a low capacity and economy focused engine - average. Performance wise the MPS 3 is a completely different kettle of fish.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote