Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the main issue with young driver accident rate:
Lack of driver skills 58 34.94%
Poor or wreckless Driving Attitude and Behaviour 108 65.06%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #31
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Perhaps younger drivers would actually drive more carefully if they were driving cars in which they felt more vulnerable. Ok everyone under 21 into you used Fiat Nikis please ;-)
Obviously not as it's been proven in the road toll.

Far more shitboxes out there than there are nice hotted up cars and it's these shitboxes that are getting wrapped.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Far more shitboxes out there than there are nice hotted up cars and it's these shitboxes that are getting wrapped.
I think in allot of cases they are both one and the same......

Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Do you know what % of 15 -24 yearold are on the road? For instance if there is a 31% death rate in that group, are they 31% of the road users at that time?
I can't find that data but from my own life experience I would suggest that aside from those who drive for a livelihood (eg taxi drivers) parents with several pre self-driving teens of different ages and sexes spend the most time on the road (in addition to driving themselves back and forth from work, driving to shops etc they are constantly ferrying their children to school, parties and sporting events and mostly doing two way trips - there and back twice).

I do however expect (again from my own life experience) that if you picked late Friday and Saturday evenings young drivers may be the dominant road users at least in the metro area. I will also admit that in my early 20's I was at one time regularly driving 1,000 miles a week as my girlfriend (now wife) parents lived a considerable distance from the CDB as well as far from where I lived. I saw her everyday, usually driving her home from work, going out in the CBD with her for the evening then taking her home before returning to my place and this really clocked up the kilos (at least it only cost me $5 to fill the tank in those days).
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do however expect (again from my own life experience) that if you picked late Friday and Saturday evenings young drivers may be the dominant road users at least in the metro area.
Yes, and that time period has been flagged as a REAL dangerous and bad time for young drivers on the road.

My gut feel is the 25-50 age bracket would spend the most time on the roads, this age groups covers a lot of reps, taxi drivers, truck drivers, parents etc who'd average more hours driving a year than the 18-24 age group or 50 - ? age group.
I know myself when i got a company car at age 24 i went from around 17,000 k's a year to almost 40,000 K's a year out seeing customers etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point to concider is perception.

We have no problem in QLD with P platers. Why?
We don't have P plates.

I am sure that QLD drivers on average are no different to other states but as it is difficult to tell if the driver is the holder of a provisional licence then we never think "Bloody P plater".

In the same way that ALL Victorians drive crap old 4wds with giant caravans very slowly and cause chaos on the roads. Well all the ones I see do but then I am 2000km from Melbourne so maybe I don't see all the Victorians, just the ones who have driven up here on holidays. The ones that fly up here and rent a car are just the same as locals.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #36
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Do you know what % of 15 -24 yearold are on the road? For instance if there is a 31% death rate in that group, are they 31% of the road users at that time?
I believe they are misreporting figures. Quoting 15-24 year olds as being 15% of the population is open for misinterpretation because it doesn't mean they are 15% of the total road users. Australia has an ageing population, many of whom getting into their late 60's and 70's and it is of my personal experience that this age group does not spend a great deal of time on the road, which further changes the figures as road users are being counted in these statistics as licence holders (correct me if im wrong). In the Macarthur area, which I live in, I would say that from driving every single day of the week, that the percentage of 15-24 yearold drivers (atleast in my area) would be more like 30-35%.

I asked in another thread, not sure if anyone knows the figures, but how many of the holiday road toll (60+ people) were p-platers?
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
I believe they are misreporting figures. Quoting 15-24 year olds as being 15% of the population is open for misinterpretation because it doesn't mean they are 15% of the total road users.
LOL, Clutching at straws arent you?!
How do you know this? Id say it may very well be the other way, that 15-24 year olds use the road less that 25-50 year olds on average..
But for the sake of working with the stats as they read lets assume they all use the road the same.

My personal feelings are that allot of the driving behavioural issues may very well stem from this "denial" state that some younger drivers have towards the stats and facts.

Maybe if younger drivers just accepted the facts for what they are and allowed them to sink in they might just alter their behaviour towards driving safely and we might see a change in the stats... Food for thought??

Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #38
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

My Niki/FSM comment was tongue in cheek hence the angel (or ;-) before I edited it. It would be nonethless interesting to see if there was any correlation between car age and youth related accidents. You don't see too much "hoon driving" techniques being practised in old Toyota Corolla's or the like so it may be a factor. Actually perhaps confining them to Volvos might be safer.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #39
sexy_xr6
xr lover

I too think it is a combination of both skill and attitude.

My brother and his mates go out in their utes every single time it rains and they go "drifting". They are all under the impression that they can control every move the car makes (even when it has no traction to the road). I have tried explaining to them several times that even the most experienced professional drivers in the world (i.e Peter Brock) can still loose control of their cars. They just don't listen. I think in most cases it take a major accident for them to wake up to them selves.
sexy_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Oh goodie another poll. :

Why not have one about crashes (there are very few accidents!) in the 25-40 age group?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #41
Wally
XP Coupe

Fatalities by Road User Group and Gender, 2002 WA:

Hospitalised Casualties by Road User Group, Age Group and Gender, 2002 WA

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #42
suttoinc
The Phantom Menace

Quote:
I wonder about the older car issue. From my experiences I know there is nothing like driving an old car with crossply tires, drum brakes and cart spring suspension to make you drive very very carefully as you just know you can't stop in a hurry or corner fast and there is no air bags or crumple zone if you crash. In addition to my Fords and various other cars I also have a very original EH Holden panel van and I know on the few occasions when I drive it this already very careful driver drives very much more carefully. My first car was also a Mini Moke with slide when wet winter tread tyres, drum brakes and very rudimentary safety gear (headrests, lap seat belts and crumple zone) and you certainly felt somewhat vulnerable driving it.

Perhaps younger drivers would actually drive more carefully if they were driving cars in which they felt more vulnerable.

Ok everyone under 21 into you used Fiat/FSM Nikis please :newangel:
Im from country vic north west of Bendigo
Problem is that a lot of 18 year olds are getting VN - VS era commodores (and falcons I guess but I can't think of one in my town) with suspension that hasn't been looked at in 15 years, unless it has been chopped, no LSD, worn out tyres from donuts, and a drivers side airbag for saftey. If any modifications have been made it is for more power. Every year the cops talk to our year 12 kids at school before they all get their licences. Every year someone does something so mind numbingly stupid that , well, I understand why they have the Darwin awards. Actually my towns kids have amazingly survived quite well, can't say that for a couple of towns nearby.
suttoinc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #43
Dezza
Parts bin special

It's a mixture of both. I had an accident back in 2002, when I was a P-plater. It was because I didn't look properly and pulled out in front of someone. That was lack of experience, and carelessness on my behalf. It certainly made me a better driver. On the other hand, I see stories of young drivers wrapping their cars around poles etc. after hooning.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #44
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Lack of Driver Skills?I think we ALL have some driving skill that could be improved apon.And this includes P Platers and the more Mature Driver..
Poor or Reckless Driving Attitude or Behaviour?IMO THIS is the main problem.again this is not only the domain of the younger driver(although stats argue % wise against the younger driver) even if a driver has limited skills if they drive within their capabilities they are less likely to get into trouble,as against any driver driving recklessly or beyond a drivers ability to control a vehicle in a given situation this is when they tend to get into trouble. So Yeah I voted for the Driving Behaviour...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #45
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

There's no option for "All those statistics and laws of physics are wrong, I am young and can drive better than anyone else and speed DOES NOT MATTER!!!"
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #46
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Another point to concider is perception.

We have no problem in QLD with P platers. Why?
We don't have P plates.
You don't seem to have any sense of 'Keep left unless overtaking' either - but I digress : )

That's an interesting point. I wholly agree that perception is a key element in driver behaviour.

Another interesting point is that in recent years the amount of time that new drivers are required to show P plates has gone from 1 year to 3 years.

Do you think this might be a reason why there are suddenly so many more P Platers crashing cars?

Tiered licencing (as used in NSW for motorcycle licences) is the only answer. No! what am I saying? speed cameras are the only answer - of course... :

BTW, P Platers have just copped it from behind today - the actions of a minority ruining it for the majority. Still, that's typical of society these days:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/general/s...105028091.html
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I voted attitude.

Simply, there are a number of contributing factors that have enabled young people and older people to gamble their life away on the road, as well as display what can only really be termed anti-social behaviour behind the wheel. For simplicity I'll number what I perceive as some of the main contributors.

1/ Total lack of police, police enforcement of road rules and presence acting as a deterrent. This equally applies to us all; not just the P platers. The vast majority of us speed at some time, but some drivers see this as open season and just have to drive faster than the traffic. Equally, the lack of enforcement has meant that such things as using your indicators has become a thing of the past. Stuck at an intersection behind a car that suddenly decides to turn right only infuriates others behind and makes them take often dangerous risks. Police actually booking people would improve this behaviour and remove a precipitating frustration which negates the potential accident. Tailgating is equally as bad, and has resulted in thousands of accidents. They introduced a law 2 years ago in NSW on tailgating yet very few have been booked. Essentially, we all need to clean up our act a bit and enforcing the laws would cut the toll across every age group. Furthermore, the thought of a policeman hiding behind a bush or around the bend worked wonders when I was learning to drive, and it seemed to scare the hell out of other drivers too. Imagine the impact that would have on P platers.

2/ Distractions. In this day and age of mobile phones, text messages, Ipods, in car DVD etc there are far greater distractions to driving than ever before. This again does not apply to P platers alone, it applies to all of us. How many of you are guilty of almost having an accident because you looked away from the road to play with one of your in car gadgets? For a P plater who has most of these things, they prove to become a major distraction and only serve to inhibit the little road skills this group possesses. I've lost count of the amount of times I have seen P platers run up the back of a car in traffic, and unfortunately the ever increasing myriad of toys is only making things worse. To put it another way, how would you react as a passenger on an airliner to hear that the pilots are going to be playing X box?
Would you be happy?

3/ Power to weight of cars. Cars are getting lighter, engines are getting more powerful and easier to modify. Do the math.

4/ Roads. Complete lack of maintenance and ill conceived to create nothing but congestion. Some NSW parliamentarians actually think that having smaller roads will entice people to public transport.

Anyway, this may not apply to all but hey, I live in NSW (No Services or Water) and formed my opinion based on what I see. I have an ATPL and quite frankly am often mortified by some of the things I see people get up to; especially when they literally have their life in their hands, or from what I have seen, one hand and in some cases one finger.

Quote: