Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
cupic
Nikon

Default Re: NSW Gov Report: 30kph 24/7 school zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Why 7 days a week 24 hours, or even 12 hours a day!! When there is NO ONE THERE HOW CAN ANYONE BE HURT?!!!!

The only ones that are being hurt is the Govt Coffers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
cupic
Nikon

Soon the Govt will ban the Car and we will being back to the Horse and Cart

Goodbye to the lost fortune of revenue currently @ $6Billion+,then or course it can raise it from the dung of the horse
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #33
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive through 3 school zones on the Cumberland Highway up to 6 times a day. After 3.30 in the afternoon there is no one around so I fail to see why a 24 / 7 zone is required.

maybe they should go out and watch the way that some parents go about dropping of and picking up their children.

they must be on crack the way they go about it.

I see one father on a regular basis cross a 6 lane road at canley vale with his young son 100 metres from a set of lights.

If the unfortunate event happened that they were hit all hell would break loose, yet it is the stupid fathers actions that have put their lives in peril.

I cringe whenever I see them thinking what could happen.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was a kid, I was taught roads were dangerous! now are kids taught this?

Dumbing down of the population here only makes for danger elsewhere.

Same with more and more turning red light arrows where they are not needed. (I HATE tham!) If you cant find a decent gap and turn you shouldnt be on the road.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
How about teaching kids to value their life and look before crossing the road
I agree whole heartily, but there is no denying that a child, particularly preteen is not going to be as observant as an adult. Nothing to do with parenting as such, but with how we grow physically and mentally. For example children have much worse peripheral vision and their judgement of distance and speed isn't as well developed. When kid makes a stupid judgement, as they will do as part of growing up, we as the adults have to be aware of the risk and try and make sure we don't contribute to it.

This doesn't negate the parents role in teaching kids to be safe and showing by example, but it doesn't hurt for us as drivers to be aware of the risk to young kids. Not suggesting I am in support of 24 hours zones or anything though.

Later as the kids get older their minds and body will develop and they will have those roadcraft and life skills they need - those that don't develop become bogans and we might all regret we didn't take the chance to run the little ***** over years ago.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

And so the stupidity of the Government continues..

As if 40km/h wasn't slow enough? The stopping distance on 40km/h is like 2-5 meters..

and 24/7? most students in my surrounding area have left the school area by 3:30, so 15 minutes after school is out, besides one school which is used at the main bus bay area...

Why enforce a slower speed 7 days a week when it's not needed, by that logic we should all be going 10km/h because the road is a shared zone...

The intelligence of those who propose road laws was already low enough.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Two things in the OP's quoted post stand out.....

#1 "The NSW Parliament's Staysafe Committee will this week recommend sweeping changes following a six-month inquiry into the 40km/h school zones."
This is the group, who a few years ago, wanted to ban overtaking on ALL single lane in NSW. This would mean virtually all country roads in the state. Try driving up the Newell Hwy with being allowed to overtake anything!!

#2 "Even at 40km we are travelling at 10km faster than Europe,"
I'll agree to this comparison if they let us drive at Euro speeds on highways!
Old 25-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #38
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're Not Europe, We have nature strips between our footpaths and roads.

We'd have a better chance if they stopped building schools and child care centres away from main roads and intersections.
Old 25-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
#2 "Even at 40km we are travelling at 10km faster than Europe,"
I'll agree to this comparison if they let us drive at Euro speeds on highways!
You forgot to add that Australian road design / town development is completely different to Europe. If some of the footage I've seen of the roads in towns from Europe is anything to go by, I would suggest that even 30kph is completely inappropriate.
Australian laws SHOULD be designed for Australian conditions, NOT just copy & pasted from elsewhere.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

School zones detail was sought well before the last election, under the previous Labor administration, though Staysafe is not a party political body per se.

The Staysafe Committee comprises membership of Labor/Liberal/other parties and independents. They go through submitted stuff and forward it to the Roads Minister; he or she can tell them to go drop off.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/staysafe

Their next report will be into Driver distraction, as always, it will be submitted to GovCo, who may or may not accept the 'recommendations'.
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...2579B90002A6E7
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Australian laws SHOULD be designed for Australian conditions, NOT just copy & pasted from elsewhere.
But if they thought up their own ideas they'd have no reason for frequent overseas junkets fact finding trips !
Old 25-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Cough.... governement has responded saying it wont be recommending the change....
But they will be doing this:
He says one important recommendation his team will make is that planners of new estates ensure that schools are built well away from homes to reduce the chance of children being hit.

Yeh, let's make the schools so far away no-one can walk to them, or ride to them; they'll all have to get a bus or train, car etc to school - that'll stop them being hit.

Glad the 24/7 thing didn't get a guernsey - I hate the ACT 8 hours of school zones - NSW model of start/end school day makes sense, and SA has always been different, but don't go using weird as an example......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #43
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Yes that's rather stupid, there is a school that is 5 minutes drive out of town, probably half an hour+ walk, it's the best school in the area, but it's stupidly far away, and the road to it is pretty useless considering it goes to a private school, not only that all the way there is just bushland/forest beside the road, no paths...

Another is also about 2 minutes out of town basically on the other side of town from where most houses are built..

They don't plan things very well at all.

Old 25-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #44
351capri
windsorman

we are governed by morons! if any of our elected representatives had 1/2 a brain they'd be in private enterprise making twice the money, instead they attend an adult minding sevrvice we know as parliament, seriously!!
Old 25-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #45
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Obviously someone out there has a sense of humour..

What's that? they're for real? Yep, people are definitely in cuckooland.

There are a lot of odd placed school zones. I noticed on Pennant Hills/Metroad 7 & Pacific Hwy in Sydney that they have a lot of school zones and it's frustrating in those times as you're constantly changing speed (not that you can get up to speed in Sydney )

There's a school on the Pacific Hwy in a place called Bellimbopinni (which is north of Kempsey on the NSW mid north coast) and you have to slow down to 40 on that section in front of the school in the morning and afternoon. then go back up to 100km/h again on the other side. That's a weird one.

Common sense should prevail. I don't think putting the speed down to 30km/h is going to help either.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #46
ray38l

I only just realized my street has a school zone. I have lived here for 2 years and only just saw the sign. the nearest school is about 5k's away. I have no idea why it is a school zone
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #47
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its about time I leave this ****hole and find a better country to live in, the term "We lived in the lucky country" should be used....
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #48
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yeh, let's make the schools so far away no-one can walk to them, or ride to them; they'll all have to get a bus or train, car etc to school - that'll stop them being hit.
they don't need to be far away, but they should shy away from having their main gate on an major roadway. Especially when they could use another road for drop offs. the worst is schools in 100km zones. 100 down to 40 is a lot of wasted energy.
Old 26-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #49
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just choked on my drink reading that. Are those morons insane?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
they don't need to be far away, but they should shy away from having their main gate on an major roadway. Especially when they could use another road for drop offs. the worst is schools in 100km zones. 100 down to 40 is a lot of wasted energy.
In QLD it is less 20 except for 50 where it is less 10..

100 zones bcome 80, 80 => 60, 70=>50 etc.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...87.92,,0,13.44
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #51
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

All they have to do is install flashing lights/signs at all of the school zones to indicate when the reduced speed limit is to apply, and then if anyone gets caught speeding then it is the motorist's fault for beeing a fool.

For the rest of the time there doesn't need to be any speed restrictions.

The Govt will say that it costs too much, but if they spend 1% of their speed camera revenue on this sort of flashing signage, then road safety is the big winner, NOT revenue raising.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
All they have to do is install flashing lights/signs at all of the school zones to indicate when the reduced speed limit is to apply, and then if anyone gets caught speeding then it is the motorist's fault for beeing a fool.

The Govt will say that it costs too much, but if they spend 1% of their speed camera revenue on this sort of flashing signage, then road safety is the big winner, NOT revenue raising.
Safety is not the governments concern, its maximising revenue and profits even if they know the proposal is a load of bs
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #53
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:

They have this in my town, it works a treat, circle of flashing LED's around the speed sign, unfortunately it's only one of the primary schools, not to mention the 7 other schools =\

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
When I lived in the NT, the school had it's own private car park and pick up area and a back way for students who rather not be picked up there.

Where I live now there is only one school that runs a separate road for pick ups...

It's stupid, all schools should simply have a bus bay type pick up system..

Old 26-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #54
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NSW will not be getting 24 hour school zones, full stop.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #55
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

When governments are run or hijacked by the right (both sides of the house), any plausable idea to make money to fill their coffers are always at the forefront of their thinking/ideaology and guys you know what i mean- think of all the stupid idea's that come national/globally in the last 20 + years and think why and also think who brought them in.........Do we benefit? Who benefits? Someone benefits! They will say it'll save lives but who's lives are saved?The only lives getting saved are the pollies who come up with this crap - anything to balance the budget at financial end of year lol.They think we are idiots and they can get away with anything.They see us as robots who are to do what theyre told- community consultation,dont make me laugh lol! Whats the real reason for the ulp backflip in NSW? You gotta keep earning money-good or bad aye!

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by flappist; 26-03-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: do not avoid the swear filter
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'm sure I read in an elevator this morning that O'Farrell has rejected the recommendation.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'm sure I read in an elevator this morning that O'Farrell has rejected the recommendation.
I'm sure I read it in post #19
Old 26-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

A retired electrical engineer called 2GB when this topic was the flavour of the week (2-3 years ago now). He had designed and made a prototype device that used solar panels, had battery back up, was able to be controlled remotely from an office via radio / phone signal and had the provision for adding a CCTV camera / speed camera. It had flashing LED lights (similar to some that you see now). It was a unit that could be added to existing signs with minimal modification...

His proposal was that if they were mass produced, each unit would cost a very trivial ammount, perhaps in the range of $1500 to $2000.

He sent this to several applicable ministers, but they fell on deaf ears. He thought he was on a winner and was shocked at the lack or response of his little invention......

Wonder what ever happened to that guy and his work?? Would love to know what each of the lights they use now costs to supply and install??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 26-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
They have this in my town, it works a treat, circle of flashing LED's around the speed sign, unfortunately it's only one of the primary schools, not to mention the 7 other schools =\

When I lived in the NT, the school had it's own private car park and pick up area and a back way for students who rather not be picked up there.

Where I live now there is only one school that runs a separate road for pick ups...

It's stupid, all schools should simply have a bus bay type pick up system..
Great if the school has the space. Not every school has acres of real estate to play with. Also, the layout of many schools will not allow this to happen. Even the schools that do have the space try to shy away from vehicles being allowed on school grounds due to public liability etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #60
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
NSW will not be getting 24 hour school zones, full stop.
I said this the other day but no one seems to be reading what the NSW government has said....

They announced they WONT BE recommending the changes....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-2...jected/3911014

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post