Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #31
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Default Re: Fool in a Phoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ok, so how do you regulate the licensing system to weed out the morons?

A counter point I would like to make is that if you are a moron and you are driving a powerful car, you are going to be more inclined to "abuse" that power as you know what is under your right foot and you know it's awesome and fun, much more so than doing the same thing in say a Hyundai Excel.
this is the part that i dont know about.. we need to focus on the licensing system more so then blaming a car.. more driver training?? defensive driving courses..

how many defensive driving days do you have to do to get your license? 0. spin them out on a track somewhere and show them just how wrong it can go.

but im sick of reading crap about some moron killed some1.. lets ban cars
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I read this and would like to put something forward that might stop these type of stupid decision made by these drivers but it wouldn't change nothing.
These type of things are going to happen whether you are 'P plater', drunk driver, high powered car, low powered car, young or old. I try my best to drive safely in the conditions around me and I teach my kids when they want to have some fun, do it in a controlled enviroment and challenge dad or there mates at the local hire go kart track. I just hope these people who make these stupid decisions when driving don't do it near me or any other innocent person!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #33
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I cannot believe how many of these rapid yellow FPV's i have seen written off ?!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
brand new toyota corolla, the first night i had it i topped it out at about 200..
Quote:
its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
sounds like you shouldn't ever be given a high powered car then
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #35
kempy311
BEN

I think the more important point to focus on is that he was drunk when the incident happened he could have been driving a 20 year corolla and done the same damage.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some argue that you can get in trouble in any car, true but it happens quicker in a performance car. before you can blink you can be out of shape in an F6 and you see the result above.
P platers are still learning to drive and should be kept away from these cars . I have used this line before but here we go again .

lets look at car and aircraft licencing. in a car you learn under supervision (L plates) in a plane you do you initial learning with an instructor. then you go solo but with many restrictions and you are still a learner. in a car you do a test and are allowed to continue your learning solo ( P plates) . in both cases you then graduate to a full licence after passing further tests (in NSW a P plater does 2 tests to get a full licence).
A P plater driving an F6 or similar is like the trainee pilot wanting to fly an FA 18 hornet or a 747 as soon as they go solo. would you feel safe with him flying over your house???

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #37
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
id like to make the point here... that we cant blame the cars... its the people in them.

i had a hire car about 4 months ago when my XR6 was being repaired (on p plates)

it was a brand new toyota corolla, the first night i had it i topped it out at about 200..

the point im trying to make is a 4 cylinder crap box is good for high speeds. it annoyed the **** out of me when i picked up the paper this morning to find the front page was about P platers allowed high powered cars., its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
so you admit to doing 200 in a rental and then say ban morons from high performance cars what should we assume you want done in relation to what you drive???

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
this is the part that i dont know about.. we need to focus on the licensing system more so then blaming a car.. more driver training?? defensive driving courses..

how many defensive driving days do you have to do to get your license? 0. spin them out on a track somewhere and show them just how wrong it can go.

but im sick of reading crap about some moron killed some1.. lets ban cars
I wrote to those troglodytes at the Office of Road Safety years ago about defensive driving training and they told me to go away, the predictable tone of the patronising response is along the lines of "oh, that would make drivers over confident and take more risks" and kept on relying on their "research" as reasons why I was wrong, research which they would never disclose or refer to as an available source for third party critique or analysis, but don't worry about the fact that it hasnt even been tried in WA, they just dismiss it out of hand because it does not align with their ideology

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #39
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
id like to make the point here... that we cant blame the cars... its the people in them.

i had a hire car about 4 months ago when my XR6 was being repaired (on p plates)

it was a brand new toyota corolla, the first night i had it i topped it out at about 200..
Ain't that the truth.

So, you are a P Plater. You get a courtesy car. First inclination, go 200km/h in the courtesy car. Tell me, how long did it take to get to 200km/h in a Corolla? Because I'm sure you spent quite a while at ridiculous speeds getting there.

No wonder most people around here think P Platers are morons. And I have no issue with people in performance cars giving them a squirt, but a Corolla which takes 40 minutes to get to that speed and even longer to brake back down to safe speeds, come on now that's a bit silly.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #40
sickeb

what a spanner
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #41
unko_sim
WEST australia

Although I'm still 20 and in no real position to comment on this but this really *****5 me to tears!

I learned to drive in a lunch box Honda civic and worked my *** off to buy my first car. I baby it everywhere as I worked and payed for it and treat it like like my princess!

Where's this nob probably got daddy to pay for it or has just got a loan and now has no car and massive debt! Now I bet you my premium on insurance is now going to skyrocket and cops r going target people with nice cars like ***** on a blanket!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #42
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Umm.. It's getting a bit scary, as always some few will screw it, for so many more, yep, power restrictions for ALL younger drivers will be arriving shortly.... Respect means a different thing altogether nowadays!

This dude was lucky to walk away from this crash.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #43
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank god `numpty` didnt kill anyone , yep he`s in for a world full of hurt now but sucked in sunshine,,
Kinda ironic that he crashed in rockingham , wonder if he was a local ?
(WA people will know what that place breeds lol ) , sucks about the car though,,

Darwin just cant keep up anymore , the gene pool is being over run with tools lol

Last edited by Mickxr8; 03-12-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #44
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
A decent amount of butthurt on the way paying all that damage off lol. I think the fact he'd been drinking is probably more relevant than choice of car though

This. You could drive my Nan's Corona wasted and write it off because you think you can handle it....

Think these kids (and yes, I'm talking about people only a couple of years younger than me), need to somehow realise the full ferocity of the repurcussions of their actions. Remove the alcohol and the hero element diminishes somewhat.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #45
theboxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Those wondering why we have restrictions in some states. I hope he gets a right royal flogging from the long arm of the law.
Doesn't mean every young driver is like this.

Might as well barn normal commodores as more of those crash like this then High powered vehicles
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #46
marshro

they could always have a driving corse (sorta like going for your p's) but your in a v8 and they make you drive on wet roads (private skid pan) and they teach you how to control the car! and if you pass you get a extension on you licence! maybe that way they have to see that people can control these cars if something happens or how to stop things happening???

cheers Rory
[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #47
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

One element here stands out like the proverbial, yet the fingers are pointing everywhere else. As you were
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #48
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
this could run past $100,000 easily! What an idiot! Pretty much thrown a part of his life away.. He's just damn lucky he still has a life. and didnt kill anyone else.
lucky he didn't kill anyone, but lucky he still has a life? If I were him I'd be praying that I had died in the crash rather than live to see the aftermath .
Old 03-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #49
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I used to be right up on my high horse about the laws up here in QLD, as I fell just inside of the new ones which means no turbo or V8 until you're off your P plates.

After getting my opens and driving "modern" V8's and turbo / supercharged cars, I can't say I'm fully against the laws anymore. Looking back I can fully admit that the stuff we did was categorically DUMB, and I can also admit I wouldn't have know how to handle a car with that kind of power back then, and only with moderate confidence now.

Sure I got into just as much trouble in a 6 cyl AU, but it's nothing like being able to press the loud pedal every time you want all hell to break loose....
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
No, there aren't, although after the aforementioned WRX incident the government are "looking into it".

It's probably for another thread, but I don't believe power restrictions for P-platers is the way to go. Idiots will be idiots no matter what car they drive. Compulsory advanced driver training when they're still on their L plates would be my answer - don't let them have their Ps until they have done - and passed satisfactorily - an advanced driver training course that teaches them how to control the car, not just how to operate it.
half the problem is youngens have no clue how fast crap happens, they have no real world experience, so how can they know? i`m sure most of us felt bullet proof when we where getting licence age, short of a lobotomy there is probably no way to stop youngens from feeling out the limits of any motor vehicle.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #51
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
half the problem is youngens have no clue how fast crap happens, they have no real world experience, so how can they know? i`m sure most of us felt bullet proof when we where getting licence age, short of a lobotomy there is probably no way to stop youngens from feeling out the limits of any motor vehicle.
Oh, no doubt. I've done stupid things myself behind the wheel. But that's where driver training come in. Scare the crap out of them on a skidpan, show them how ridiculously easy it is for things to go wrong if they're not switched on about what they're doing and they might think twice about doing it.

It's all too easy to get a licence these days - any Tom, Dick and Harry can just breeze through the theory test, log 120hrs (or however many it may be) on rather benign public roads. Then put them into a situation where they're driving on a dark, wet night and suddenly they go around a corner too fast, panic, slam on the brakes, lock the wheels ... and the rest is history. Make them work their backside off to earn their licence, however, and they might want to try harder to keep hold of it.

Advanced Driver Training courses will save more lives than any ridiculous restrictions - which I am totally against. (And no, I'm not a P-plater, so even if these restrictions were in place, it wouldn't affect me). It beggars belief why those lunatics in charge of the Road Safety Council can't see that.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #52
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Tragic. Guys please be safe out there. Slow down and be smart.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #53
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

the no v8 rule isnt that good of an idea as i am allowed to drive my xr6 but not a v8 old car even though my xr6 probably has more grunt.

If there ids going to be restrictions (as cars get faster and faster there should be at least some limit) it needs to be a power to weight ratio or something along those lines that wont contradict itself time and time again.

I do not believe in this incident that the issue is his powerful car though, say he was in victoria and only owned the basic xr6 from the same year. He probably would have just as easy had the same accident. The issue is clearly he was drink driving. I have gotten in my car to drop the missus off at work slightly hunger over once and even though it was a 5 min drive i decided im never doing that again. upon my return from this drive i checked my home breathalyzer (twice as these things arent deadly accurate) and i only had around .03 - .02 in my system.

Drink driving causes alot of accidents and alot of them are instead blamed on "oh its a p-plater" or "he was doing 120km/h in a 90 zone that was 110 a couple weeks ago" usually to create a stir and the chance for an easy solution (restrict p platers, more cameras etc.) by politicians as it seems they are doing more than they really are.

The test for p plates should be harder to help weed out some of these morons but sadly there is no clear cut solution and changing the law wont do much for those who disobey it anyway.

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too used to think the power restrictions were a bit stupid...but then again, motorcyclists have had to deal with it for decades, so why not?

If you say "But on a big powerful bike there's the potential for a situation to get out of hand a hell of a lot quicker than you could handle if you were on something with a lot less power", then you have just proven the exact same point that restrictions on car power makes. In a Nissan Tiida or Hyundai or whatever, yes, you can still act like an idiot and get into trouble, but if you floor it around a corner, you're not exactly going to rocket off into the shrubbery as the power kicks in, whereas with something a lot more powerful...like a turbo Typhoon sedan...you'd going to get yourself into bother a lot faster and with worse results, with less time for your driving "skills", such as they are, to react.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #55
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
One element here stands out like the proverbial, yet the fingers are pointing everywhere else. As you were

im with this guy
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #56
EATHSV
Oo---oO

What a waste of space. A young bloke did it down here in his parents Monaro a couple of months back, wiped out 4 shop fronts doing over 180kph in a 60 zone. He walked away too.....

I always think of the wasted time for the emergance services in this situation, at the same time somebody else has to wait on an ambulance while having a heart attack or stroke. All while they patch up some hero who doesn't deserve it.

There is a race track of some description in EVERY state that you can go do this crap on. Not the road.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #57
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Young blokes, booze and cars.........
The results have been the same ever since cars were invented, I'd say.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #58
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this kid will declare himself bankrupt.....
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
jrfttf
Getting By!?

was waiting for the above post to be said, go bankrupt, after x amount of years back on clean slate and ready to play again!

He will to a degreee get out of paying up!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #60
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

the point im trying to make is a 4 cylinder crap box is good for high speeds. it annoyed the **** out of me when i picked up the paper this morning to find the front page was about P platers allowed high powered cars., its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
So we will direct all the p platers sooking and hatred at you.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seducer_xr
its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
Contradiction much? If that hire car were a GT et al im sure you wouldnt have stopped at 200.
You my friend are the cause of the problem.

A lot of drivers that never fell into the P Plate rules like myself never even had high powered cars on their P's, hell best i had was an ED Fairmont. I lived without a turbo/V8 as did a lot of other so why is it that this Gen of drivers see it their given right to own one... its pretty obvious to me the first post is the result.
Closed Thread